Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Hotel Kpro posted:

I just kinda shipped it all to the address posted at the bottom of this page and hoped it would go to the right place. They have an Amazon wishlist set up and everything ordered off that goes to that address and I figured my stuff would just get lumped in. They didn't send it back so either it got thrown away or shipped off to someone who needs it more than me. I had never used my stuff either, I think my APECS pants were still in the plastic wrap.

Is that address still current/legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Is that address still current/legit?

Looks like it, it's a Ukrainian restaurant in New York, I don't think they've gone anywhere

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

Looks like it, it's a Ukrainian restaurant in New York, I don't think they've gone anywhere

Veselka is a cultural institution in Manhattan, and they’re absolutely legit. Place used to be 24 hours pre-pandemic, and all my bartender friends would hit up the place for pierogi at 5am after closing, and they were just as happy to see you as at 2pm. Good, hearty cheap eats that have carried generations of NYU kids, punks, and mid-to-low-lifes through New York costs of living.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone here have any experience as a 13N? PM me if you do. I’ve got some questions. Is there a better thread for this question?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's a low-density, very insular career field, I don't think we have any in here. I've probably only ever even met a couple of them, and only in passing during exercise mission planning.

You can try and ask here, you might be able to get something from someone.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Space Jam posted:

Does anyone here have any experience as a 13N? PM me if you do. I’ve got some questions. Is there a better thread for this question?

I knew several when I was in, and the only thing they had in common was that they had all retrained to a different career field (intel) because missile babysitting was awful.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Space Jam posted:

Probably best to check the AF reddit (lol) page.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

lite_sleepr posted:

Probably best to check the AF reddit (lol) page.
The USAF reddit is generally pretty good, though a bit oversaturated with memes. Leaked promotion results, info on how to make AI write EPRs & awards so that we don't have to, funny USAF-specific high-quality homebrew webcomics, it's all there. Admin poo poo like the new SNCO EPR form was posted there with details even before my Chief knew what it looked like & could tell us about it.
I do wish this thread wasn't hanging to dear life anymore, as getting a goon's view on stuff was useful. It seems once Slippery left, the USAF thread went very inactive.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The USAF reddit is generally pretty good, though a bit oversaturated with memes. Leaked promotion results, info on how to make AI write EPRs & awards so that we don't have to, funny USAF-specific high-quality homebrew webcomics, it's all there. Admin poo poo like the new SNCO EPR form was posted there with details even before my Chief knew what it looked like & could tell us about it.
I do wish this thread wasn't hanging to dear life anymore, as getting a goon's view on stuff was useful. It seems once Slippery left, the USAF thread went very inactive.

I don’t think Shim even posts in this thread.

I’m guilty of being a turbo lurker.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'm still in, but also a turbo lurker.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Almost retired. I can definitely recommend getting a job at numbered air force staff level. Last 3 years have been a breeze.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Hell, we’ve got to be getting close to having goons who asked questions about joining in the original A/T thread getting ready to retire, right? I think I was asking questions about it when GiP was first created, and I’m closing in on 15 years already.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

17 years, 2 AFSC’s, 5 duty stations, 5 deployments, lurkers be lurkin’

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

pkells posted:

Hell, we’ve got to be getting close to having goons who asked questions about joining in the original A/T thread getting ready to retire, right? I think I was asking questions about it when GiP was first created, and I’m closing in on 15 years already.
Hell, I remember reading that thread in 2005 in GBS when I was about to enlist; it saved me from doing some stupid poo poo & directed me instead to the chillest service of the DoD. Not that we don't have a lot of problems
edit: actually, the Coast Guard looks even more chill than the USAF, based on the few Coasties I've worked with

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2023

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Hell, I remember reading that thread in 2005 in GBS when I was about to enlist; it saved me from doing some stupid poo poo & directed me instead to the chillest service of the DoD. Not that we don't have a lot of problems
edit: actually, the Coast Guard looks even more chill than the USAF, based on the few Coasties I've worked with

A lot of coasties seem to have very difficult jobs. The people are chill, no doubt. The mission and the job? Not as much. Which makes them the strangest uniformed service in my opinion. If I had known about them as a teenager I think I would have joined them, but my town had an Army Recruiter, and a Navy Recruiter. My aunt hosed them both, and made poo poo weird, so I just talked to the traveling Air Force recruiter who visited our school like once or maybe twice a year.

This was before Google and broadband. Don’t shame me.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

pkells posted:

I don’t remember specifically but I went to OTS in 2004 and I have been active here since 2001 or so. So I probably at least talked about it back then. (I got out in 2010 so no retirement for me)

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

God I wish I had thought of using an AI to write EPRs when I was in. Probably wasn't advanced enough anyways....

nullscan
May 28, 2004

nullscan posted:

Almost retired. I can definitely recommend getting a job at numbered air force staff level. Last 3 years have been a breeze.

Goddamnit. On the leaked list. Seriously going to have to do some soul searching.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

nullscan posted:

Goddamnit. On the leaked list. Seriously going to have to do some soul searching.

Congrats! That’s a tough choice. Depends on how much that extra few hundred dollars in pension is worth the rear end pain of the 2 year active duty commitment though… Quality of life after getting out compared to active duty is so much better though IMO.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

nullscan posted:

Saw that, congrats / condolences. I dodged it again.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What rank is releasing now? SMSgt? I know Chief was in July uncle upon a time I think I remember?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Msgt, Senior was last month I think?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The loving E-7 pay difference, and the three years you’d owe them to make it even apply just don’t math up in my mind.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Two guys I was in tech school with are on the list, both deserving so that’s good to see. Only 14 years in too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I was a Lt I met a guy that made chief in 14. He looked my age.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Godholio posted:

When I was a Lt I met a guy that made chief in 14. He looked my age.

I knew a 16yr Chief and that was crazy enough, he hit everything his first time trying, retired as a MAJCOM CCC, thought he might make CMSAF. 14 is nuts.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The loving E-7 pay difference, and the three years you’d owe them to make it even apply just don’t math up in my mind.

Yeah, I was pretty well set up for retirement. But with the wife getting cancer treatment and me with my hernia poo poo, we figured they had us at Tricare.

Working the paperwork for another 3 years at Osan when I get back to work. That'll take me to 16 years total. Kinda wonder if that's a high score.

Edit : with my luck Korean War 2 Electric Boogaloo will kick off in 2 years.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

RIP your mental health, E-7 sucks if you're in admin-heavy unit & are terrible at admin stuff like me, and I'm not even an NCOIC or anything. Just LOL if I end up being Flight Chief, which I likely will before I can retire to dodge that bullet :shepicide:

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/06/05/air-force-aviators-could-nab-50k-each-year-by-staying-in-uniform/

I get it but....it is kind of wild to think of this in absolute terms. $50k a year is what, an A1C's paycheck including BAH?

Officers getting an A1C's paycheck as a bonus, what a time to be alive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo an A1C makes more than I did as a 2Lt.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Dude, I was looking at what E-7’s in decent COLA’s make and realized we overpay the gently caress out of the military.

This goes doubly so for officers, but gently caress there are a lot more enlisted and they’re EXPENSIVE.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No. None of them are overpaid, especially the skilled career guys. Don't forget that once you have them, you have to keep them, and you can't do that if leaving the service immediately is significantly lucrative to the extent that forgoing military retirement benefits makes financial sense.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Overpaid enlisted!? What?

I have been beating the drum on how flat pay raises across the board are kinda bogus for a while. Lower enlisted need a higher percentage than O’s. Can’t find the data, but I remember reading somewhere the last time we had different cost of living raise was the 80’s.

As we ask our military to do more and more with less, they should be compensated appropriately at all levels, but especially at the lower ranks where a percentage raise equals less money than at the top.

My flight chief, NCOICs, and team leads are out there putting in just as much, if not more effort than me. I just have more buck stops here responsibility. Does that mean I should make twice as much? Nope, not in my brain.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Due to the high cost of housing everywhere, a lot of the lower enlisted are having to roomie it up a lot or live in an RV or whatever just to survive. I'm E-7 and even my BAH level doesn't fully cover my rent, it's not like the 2000s when I could easily find a decent apartment & still pocket a lot of BAH as a single SrA.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, as an E-7 I was paying out of pocket for a pretty mediocre rental at my last assignment. While at that same assignment, I got a job offer for a contractor job that started at $150K and great benefits, with a boost to 160 after the first year, regular raises, and COLA adjustments, to do essentially the same work I'd been doing in uniform but none of the admin nonsense. And the freedom to wear normal clothes to work. Would have been an absolutely massive boost to my paycheck compared against mil pay.

Instead, I extended my enlistment, because I'm either profoundly stupid or extremely committed to the Air Force.

But just about all of my competent colleagues jumped ship for the civilian world, leaving us with only the extremely loyal and the extremely useless at the higher ranks.

If we want to retain talent, it costs money.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Godholio posted:

How long ago was that? The dollar's buying power has fallen off a cliff when compared against itself just 10 years ago.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
My GI Bill and Army college fund combo covered my tuition at Loyola University of New Orleans back in the late 1990s. These days? lol welcome to indentured servitude, dipshit.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, as an E-7 I was paying out of pocket for a pretty mediocre rental at my last assignment. While at that same assignment, I got a job offer for a contractor job that started at $150K and great benefits, with a boost to 160 after the first year, regular raises, and COLA adjustments, to do essentially the same work I'd been doing in uniform but none of the admin nonsense. And the freedom to wear normal clothes to work. Would have been an absolutely massive boost to my paycheck compared against mil pay.

Instead, I extended my enlistment, because I'm either profoundly stupid or extremely committed to the Air Force.
What's up fellow dumbass? I just reenlisted rather than get out to work a nice contracting gig, so that I can retire out of the USAF in two years. I'm already having doubts that I'll make it without going insane, as being a SNCO in a big unit loving sucks. RIP my mental health when they make me a flight chief, which is just around the corner :shepicide:.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I'm blown away at the BAH rate in Mountain Home, it's higher than Fort Collins and Minneapolis. That's great if you live in Idaho but seems to suck elsewhere.

I should tell my buddy at FE Warren to stop loving around and make E6 this year, dude's missing out on over $400 a month in BAH just for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shalhavet posted:

How long ago was that? The dollar's buying power has fallen off a cliff when compared against itself just 10 years ago.

Almost 20 years :corsair: