Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of love The Mess(TM), honestly. It was already a science rock -- you just did more science to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Alexandrovich lab was the group that invent the first viable growth technique for of large quartz crystals. Once they had the lab set up (under A.A. Sternberg, probably the greatest expert on crystals on the planet, who also literally slept on a cot next to the giant crystal-growing autoclaves ), they managed to go from building their first machines in 1955 to producing 3 kilogram quartz crystals in 1956.

Everyone working there was passionate, so they were incredibly excited when they finally opened up the autoclave and saw the huge crystals. The main assistant (L Tsinober) grabbed one of them out of the autoclave, still hot, and impatiently rushed to the sink to wash it off to get a better look.

When the cold water hit, it immediately cracked into a million pieces. The other workers were - to put it mildly, quite unhappy about that, except Sternberg, who just said 'Don't worry. Soon we'll have a lot more of them.'

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone catch styropyro's new video on YouTube today? Angry Turtle's shop got a brief cameo after his horrifying uranium recipe (as in "don't do this, go buy this instead, it's cooler!").

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

uranium grass posted:

Anyone catch styropyro's new video on YouTube today? Angry Turtle's shop got a brief cameo after his horrifying uranium recipe (as in "don't do this, go buy this instead, it's cooler!").
Thanks! Yeah, it was really exciting for me as a huge styro fan.
Also tremendous username/post combo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIM6943BSRA
(Our shoutout is around 19:30 but the whole video rules).

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
*Squee*

It's all packed up and waiting for the shipper to pick it up. Soon I'll be futzing around with gems.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's awesome! Post updates as they come.

KGmeow
Oct 5, 2007

I feel silly for just now realizing that you're the Tiktok account I follow and keep showing to my coworkers. :downs: To be fair, I completely forgot this thread existed.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Heads up for everyone.

Gentleman who started/runs Gearloose is retiring :(

Announcement went out on their FB page last night.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oof. If anyone's earned a (second) retirement it's him, but I just got nice 6 inch laps for my raytech, then I got this new old machine that needs 8 inch laps. I'd better get what I need sooner than later...

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Faceting machine is out for delivery!

:f5:

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Helllll yeahhhhh!!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Found this while cleaning up at grandma's house.

Has an appraisal from 1988 with it. Seems like its man made glass. Do these actually have any real value today?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Uranium glass is worth a bit to collectors (as is victoria stone), but other glasses aren't worth much of anything without some cool historical origin story. Sorry but if it's glass your gramps got scammed.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

jeff8472 posted:

Has an appraisal from 1988 with it. Seems like its man made glass. Do these actually have any real value today?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helenite

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

jeff8472 posted:

Vintage Helenite stones do have some value. I don't know if it's the same as it was back in 88 as it was still a lot more in public mind.

Pieces of Rough still pull a descent amount of money. Might be worth getting them re-appraised.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Helenite is just glass. Not natural st helens glass nor glass made from the ash, just normal glass with some marketing attached.
https://www.gia.edu/doc/SU86.pdf

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hi there gem goons, I hope this is a place where one can ask some questions about identification. A friend of mine's dad does a shitload of weird buy-and-trade stuff and often deals in vintage or antique jewellery. He's been trying to get my friend 'into the trade', as it were, and recently handed him a few sacks of things to try and sell. I was helping him sort through it last night and realized that there's a lot in there that I can't tell is real or not, with my amateur knowledge.

A lot of what he has is old silver with small jewels set in it and I'm wondering if there's any kind of resource that would help with identifying what the stones are. For example, there was a necklace with small faceted pale reddish-pink stones which I suspect could be garnets but I know the garnet group is huge with a shitload of variety. Is there a book or website I could suggest to him that could help us figure out what is what?

It was very fun digging through bag after bag of faceted stones and possibly ivory and literal sacks of pearls and amber. Some of the strings of amber beads were about four feet long!

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Mad Hamish posted:

Is there a book or website I could suggest to him that could help us figure out what is what?

There are books and websites that could help you make some decent guesses, but ultimately you can’t know for sure what you’ve got until you go to an appraiser or a certified gemologist. If they’re any good, they’ll have the kind of equipment you need to properly identify gems, which includes (but is not limited to): loupe, scale, refractometer, different lights, and a dozen other pricey tools that end with -scope. The gemologists/appraisers will also have the education to make the occasional subjective call. Gem identification is a complex, nuanced business, and even trained professionals will disagree about the conclusions their colleagues draw from the same material.

All of that is to say that you can have some fun playing around with the gems you bought, but if you want to know what they are for sure, you’re gonna have to pay for it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

A raman spectrometer would probably get you good answers on 90% of the stones but they're not super cheap. Otherwise you'd want to learn to use a refractometer, polariscope and specific gravity setup (not much help on set stones though) which for loose stones would get you answers a good portion of the time.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Cool, thanks!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

At a recent gem and rock show, my wife (who is a big rock nerd) and I were really admiring this piece of jasper from a local lapidary

So I went back and secretly bought it for her :twisted:

Now I want to do something with it to surprise her. Any ideas? We both said it would be nice in a belt buckle; she doesn't really wear belts though. I guess I could wear it so that she can look at it on me. But I'd rather do something she can wear.

I think it would be a lovely necklace pendant, what do you think?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Any chance she wears bolo ties?
That's a gorgeous stone. It should be perfect for a pendant, classic for a simple bezel or something more elaborate. I have a friend who specializes in setting cabs I cna refer you to as well.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 22, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Any chance she wears bolo ties?
That's a gorgeous stone. It should be perfect for a pendant, classic for a simple bezel or something more elaborate. I have a friend who specializes in setting cabs I cna refer you to as well.

Haha, we both said "I wish we wore bolo ties" when we first saw it. It wouldn't stand out too terribly much here in OR but would be a bit too much of a statement for us and a bit too westerm-formal. I think necklace is probably the way to go. I'll take a look at your friend's work if you don't mind! Might also look around locally.

Do you think it should have the ring on top or two rings on the sides?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I would go bail on top, but either way shouldve nice. My friend's name is Deloris, she has an etsy page under JBDJewelry. Her focus has been high quality wore wrap work but she's also gotten good at traditional metalwork.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but I (just a rando who likes jewelry) think it should connect near the top two corners, but on the back so you don’t see anything from the front, just the chain and the stone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I hit a big jewelry-making milestone today: I made my first three-stone ring! Like all creative projects I make, I’m struggling to ignore the (many) flaws, but I feel like it’s a really good first attempt. Next go-around, I want to make the claw prongs smaller and set the whole thing lower, but it’ll obviously depend on what size stones I use. This guy has a 7.4 YAG middle (cut by TenaciousFaceting on etsy), and the sides are 5mm LuAG rounds I got from our very own Scarodactyl. Thank you, Scarodactyl!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nae posted:

I hit a big jewelry-making milestone today: I made my first three-stone ring! Like all creative projects I make, I’m struggling to ignore the (many) flaws, but I feel like it’s a really good first attempt. Next go-around, I want to make the claw prongs smaller and set the whole thing lower, but it’ll obviously depend on what size stones I use. This guy has a 7.4 YAG middle (cut by TenaciousFaceting on etsy), and the sides are 5mm LuAG rounds I got from our very own Scarodactyl. Thank you, Scarodactyl!

congrats! It looks great :)

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Nae posted:

Whoa! Nicely done! Shaping prongs with other ring bits around them can be frustrating, but I love the look of claws.

If you shorten the claw length, it makes them easier to shape (imo of course) and much easier to keep them tight to the stone so they don't catch on anything.

We always see the flaws in our work, but I constantly have to remind myself that other people do not look at jewellery (especially ones I have made myself) like I do.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I've been learning to facet. I'm only 11 stones in but I've really been enjoying pixel cuts in particular.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/883491922717597837/1120588272838647808/20230620_012249_1.mp4
A loooong pixel cut sapphire faceted from offcuts from...something. Scientific filters? Ultra high end watch cases?
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/883491922717597837/1121899898577617036/20230623_160605_1.mp4
My attempt at making a real life minecraft emerald. Faceted from CTH:YAG, a garnet used in lasers.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/860777117095559178/1123524517122281553/lv_0_20230628000050.mp4
And that iconic currency from Zelda, the Ruby. Cut in ruby likely grown for laser usage or, maybe, ultra high end watch cases (hard to be sure).

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 29, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Holy crap, those look so cool!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

I've been learning to facet. I'm only 11 stones in but I've really been enjoying pixel cuts in particular.

Wazzup faceting buddy !!! What machine do you have?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks!
I have a Graves mk 1 that's been souped up with a more powerful motor. Not the fanciest but it works.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks!
I have a Graves mk 1 that's been souped up with a more powerful motor. Not the fanciest but it works.

I almost went that route. Wound up getting one of the Sterling ST08. The whole handpiece type seemed to call to me over mast type polishers.

If you've ever got any questions on polishing feel free to ask. I work for the company that owns Crystalite, If I don't know it already I can prod people who do. :)

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are you that guy in the faceting discord that works for crystalite? :v:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Handpiece machines are cool and also the only reliable value buy out there. I bought a raytech years before I got my graves but it somehow never quite clicked for me (though there were other limiting factors too that likely played a role).

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Xun posted:

Are you that guy in the faceting discord that works for crystalite? :v:

Yup! itttsa me!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

In Zelda 1 the rupees flashed blue and yellow.

So I did a pixel cut rupee in dichroic yellow/blue moissanite
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/844202889060155433/1124867755133374645/lv_0_20230701210136.mp4

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

That looks awesome. Have you been putting them up for sale and they’re getting snapped up fast from the store?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thanks! And yup, they've all sold pretty fast which is very encouraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks! And yup, they've all sold pretty fast which is very encouraging.

How do you usually market them to sell if you don't mind me asking?