Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Phone posting from day 7 into my "go un-winterize the cabin via the most convoluted route possible" trip of various Finnish military history museums I've never really bothered to visit before. I've not yet looked thru my photos/clips, but in case they are not complete arse, what's the go-to service for hosting a bunch of still shots and short mp4s (video, not necessarily sound)? I heard Imgur was not necessarily the top choice any more.

Thinking about making a few posts highlighting potentially interesting tidbits, maybe in a travelogue style. Still on the road, tho, so don't expect anything for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1660073041982808064

I don’t know if this is true but God please make it so

Schneller Heinz indeed.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Loezi posted:

I heard Imgur was not necessarily the top choice any more.

AFAIK imgur is fine as long as you post from an account.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xakura posted:

AFAIK imgur is fine as long as you post from an account.

you can also attach files up to 1mb directly onto these here forums, and then Jeff & Astral don't have another batch of imgur links to try and salvage down the road.

I believe they're working on an actual organic hosting solution that's a bit more robust.

I'll admit I can be pretty lazy about this myself with dumb shitpost replies (the Skorzeny pic up above is imgur) but it's not hard.

Here's a random shitoposty thing I had lying around from some other thread that I threw up using the attachment thing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Cyrano4747 posted:

you can also attach files up to 1mb directly onto these here forums, and then Jeff & Astral don't have another batch of imgur links to try and salvage down the road.

I believe they're working on an actual organic hosting solution that's a bit more robust.

I'll admit I can be pretty lazy about this myself with dumb shitpost replies (the Skorzeny pic up above is imgur) but it's not hard.

Here's a random shitoposty thing I had lying around from some other thread that I threw up using the attachment thing:

Testing

E: Well gently caress the thing doesn't even show up in the "edit" window so I can't make it a [timg]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Guderian is a hilarious figure because he spent the post-war doing self-promotion and convinced a bunch of boomers that he invented armoured warfare and was the greatest leader in the German military. You don't need to make fanfiction about him crying and pooping his pants when his actual service record is pathetic. He participated in the Battle of France, and then got sacked in 1941 because he hosed up really bad at Tula. Imagine getting fired before Barbarossa even ended! It's like two years before the endsieg starts!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Guderian is a hilarious figure because he spent the post-war doing self-promotion and convinced a bunch of boomers that he invented armoured warfare and was the greatest leader in the German military. You don't need to make fanfiction about him crying and pooping his pants when his actual service record is pathetic. He participated in the Battle of France, and then got sacked in 1941 because he hosed up really bad at Tula. Imagine getting fired before Barbarossa even ended! It's like two years before the endsieg starts!

A lot of the famous names of WWII were just really good self-promotors, the Germans were just the most notorious/best at it.

On the Soviet side Zhukov was very guilty of taking credit for everything as well, which is why during the post-war period he was really disliked by other red army Marshals. And played a part in why both Stalin and Khrushchev was able to bust him down from top tier command to relatively insignificant post like the Ural military district or whatever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Which guys lived up to their hype?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nessus posted:

Rokossovsky and Vasilevsky

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

Spruance, though I don't know if he got hype

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Worst case of bad general but great self-promotor was Douglas MacArthur

His nickname "Dugout Doug" was originally given to him because he would just hide out in dugouts during battle. But he made it sound like that made him some sort of battle god who was "in the trenches" all the time.

utter imcompetent baffoon but was great at being media darling cuz he wore sunglasses and smoked that cigar, despite his service record being a bunch of disasters

also he was a Republican in an era when the Republicans really really wanted a war hero to run against the New Deal Democrats, so he had political cover: accusations of imcompetence can always just be chalked up to butthurt libs who didn't like great american hero "dugout doug"

also if you look at photos of him where he didn't have sunglasses/cigar he looked like a massive dork who wore uniform which was like 2 sizes too big for him

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 24, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where do you rank Patton on the promoter v competency scale

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

Where do you rank Patton on the promoter v competency scale

Patton was very good at his job with a few missteps but he wasn't the legend he got built into after his death.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Patton was very good at his job with a few missteps but he wasn't the legend he got built into after his death.

Patton was a pretty good American general but does not match up to his legend

his success also had to do with an annoying tendency to just outright steal supply meant for units other than his 3rd army. Which he got away with due to his reputation

The US just in general rarely produce army geniuses (but does have some great admirals).

The only American general that I would say ranks among the top tier of leaders is Winfield Scott.

Maybe it has to do with how America fights its land wars: which tend to emphasize achieving material superiority. I mean it's effective in winning conventional wars, but you don't have an American Suvorov nor an American Napoleon.

Typo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 24, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what about Rommel for hype v actual skill?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Kvlt! posted:

hype

Rommel would do poo poo like drive around the battlefield and start directing individual artillery units and start micromanaging his subordinates

which goes against the entire idea of mission based objectives and letting local commanders take their own iniative, and if he's driving around the battlefield being gungho he's prob not doing his job as overall commander at the same time

he was a pretty good tactician but not a very good strategic commander, wasn't great on logistics either. He prob would have faired better a big lower on the command chain.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Typo posted:

his success also had to do with an annoying tendency to just outright steal supply meant for units other than his 3rd army. Which he got away with due to his reputation

The US just in general rarely produce army geniuses (but does have some great admirals).

The only American general that I would say ranks among the top tier of leaders is Winfield Scott.

Maybe it has to do with how America fights its land wars: which tend to emphasize achieving material superiority. I mean it's effective in winning conventional wars, but you don't have an American Suvorov nor an American Napoleon.

America tending to fight its land wars generally in the post-napoleonic era is a major factor yeah

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also gently caress Rommel for getting "the good nazi" rep

Yeah he was great, weird how all those libyan and egyptian jews disappeared when his noble non-nazi completely just proud german DAK rolled by

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Typo posted:

A lot of the famous names of history were just really good self-promotors

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loezi posted:

Testing

E: Well gently caress the thing doesn't even show up in the "edit" window so I can't make it a [timg]

hell yeah the myrsky!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Why would you divorce the assessment of a general from the material factors that are very much relevant to operational and strategic planning?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kvlt! posted:

His great tactical successes were only due a dipshit American friend of MacArthur sending detailed poorly encrypted daily updates.

https://www.historynet.com/intercepted-communications-for-field-marshal-erwin-rommel/

And it’s good he tried to kill Hitler, but only when the writing was on the wall, he was just fine with Nazi atrocities.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Remulak posted:

And it’s good he tried to kill Hitler, but only when the writing was on the wall, he was just fine with Nazi atrocities.

I mean, he didn't. That's the problem. His attitude was that he didn't love Hitler, but it would be a violation of his oath and immoral to grt involved.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He had the cool blue zaku with a sword and gunhand.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

SlothfulCobra posted:

He had the cool blue zaku with a sword and gunhand.

This is no Panzer III, no mark III!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Remulak posted:

His great tactical successes were only due a dipshit American friend of MacArthur sending detailed poorly encrypted daily updates.

https://www.historynet.com/intercepted-communications-for-field-marshal-erwin-rommel/

Well considering the Allies spent a huge amount of the war reading their enemies messages you could claim the same for most allied generals.

And Rommel did clown on multiple allied commanders who were reading his messages.

Which he’d lied to his own high command in, hence helping foil the intel, but he didn’t know that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Typo posted:

Is it because the US rarely produces geniuses or is it because the circumstances in which they fought didn't allow for their potential genius to show itself?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MikeC posted:

Is it because the US rarely produces geniuses or is it because the circumstances in which they fought didn't allow for their potential genius to show itself?

I’m sorry but that sounds an awful lot like someone talking about what an amazing saxophone career they’d have had if only their parents had supported them more.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m sorry but that sounds an awful lot like someone talking about what an amazing saxophone career they’d have had if only their parents had supported them more.

The opposite actually. If you are a US commander with all the resources at his disposal and deployed it all appropriately against an outmatched enemy, you will never be declared a 'genius' because you were expected to win. Military genius needs a mix of opportunities and circumstances to show off their skill. Would Alexander be rated as a genius if the material resources between him and Darius were inverted? Still had the same mind but history would likely have judged him differently.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

"If not for all that material support and overwhelming air and artillery, I would have shown my tactical and strategic genius" was my reading

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The concept of military genius also involves a political edge and degree of individual celebrity that doesn't seem to be part of the cultural discourse of the US military.

Like, people say things like that about George Washington...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Really the problem here is that nobody ever talks about brilliant logistics officers.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Arrath posted:

"If not for all that material support and overwhelming air and artillery, I would have shown my tactical and strategic genius" was my reading

Norman Schwarzkopf should have kept the USAF on the ground and sent the Marines home to show how didn't need the help.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CommonShore posted:

The concept of military genius also involves a political edge and degree of individual celebrity that doesn't seem to be part of the cultural discourse of the US military.

Oh I don't know. A lot of people were ready to annoint General Petraeus president before his affair scandal, and he barely even accomplished anything.

Edit: Oh George.

wikipedia posted:

In his memoirs, President Bush likened his selection of Petraeus to the elevations of other great generals of American history, writing, "Lincoln discovered Generals Grant and Sherman. Roosevelt had Eisenhower and Bradley. I found David Petraeus and Ray Odierno."[103][104]

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 25, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

CommonShore posted:

Washington was a piece of poo poo human that arguably started the 7 years war to increase colonialism AND was an unusually evil slave owner that had enslaved peoples’s teeth ripped out to go into his dentures.

But he could retreat well and was really tall.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remulak posted:

Washington was a piece of poo poo human that arguably started the 7 years war to increase colonialism AND was an unusually evil slave owner that had enslaved peoples’s teeth ripped out to go into his dentures.

But he could retreat well and was really tall.

Yeah but all of that doesn't change that there's a popular perception among that he was a genius general.

Maybe we can flip the discussion a bit - how many "Genius Generals" are there who don't have some kind of political/popular value attached to them? Even someone like Beliasarius, who was decidedly subordinate to Justinian, gained enough popularity that Justinian had to treat it as a threat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Yeah but all of that doesn't change that there's a popular perception among that he was a genius general.

Maybe we can flip the discussion a bit - how many "Genius Generals" are there who don't have some kind of political/popular value attached to them? Even someone like Beliasarius, who was decidedly subordinate to Justinian, gained enough popularity that Justinian had to treat it as a threat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

this dude thought he was being arrested when they showed up to give him command of the Army of the Potomac 3 days before Gettysburg and even after it sunk in he thought he was being ratfucked into a setup. On the other hand the sheer volume of records available really makes it clear Gettysburg wasn't a one man show by any measure.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

This is no Panzer III, no mark III!

https://i.imgur.com/8wyPiko.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What is Overlord if not the most difficult Campaign of WW2 most well executed?

e: and if it is, what does it say about the generals who executed it?

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2023