Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, it's also why it was a smart call to set these games away from almost all of the big events and characters of the movies. Other than revealing that Darth Vader took yet another savage beating possibly a few weeks to either side of Obi Wan pummeling him nearly to death with rocks., anyway.

The specific problem Star Wars usually runs into with timeline stuff is that they insist on having Yoda and Chewbacca team up, or having R2 know literally everybody, which then creates all kind of plot holes and makes the universe feel tiny. Sure, Rayvis or Dagan probably met, or were at least aware of, Yoda. But since he's a total non-factor in this story and since they're both contained to this game's story by virtue of geting mercked, it doesn't really create the same issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, it's also why it was a smart call to set these games away from almost all of the big events and characters of the movies. Other than revealing that Darth Vader took yet another savage beating possibly a few weeks to either side of Obi Wan pummeling him nearly to death with rocks., anyway.

The specific problem Star Wars usually runs into with timeline stuff is that they insist on having Yoda and Chewbacca team up, or having R2 know literally everybody, which then creates all kind of plot holes and makes the universe feel tiny. Sure, Rayvis or Dagan probably met, or were at least aware of, Yoda. But since he's a total non-factor in this story and since they're both contained to this game's story by virtue of geting mercked, it doesn't really create the same issues.

https://twitter.com/Dimosar/status/1621250482890211329?s=20

A double jump, he could do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It is kind of funny that instead of being way better than other Jedi at sword fighting or magic or whatever, Vader always wins just by virtue of being an unkillable terminator who can walk away from having the building dropped on him.

Man put his skill points in Survival

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm going to echo the 'sci-fi writers have no sense of time scale' thing.

1823 was about thirty years before the civil war. It was three years after the invention of wrought-iron rail, and several years before the first practical steam locomotive protoype was built.

Electromagnetism was discovered about three years previous. The electromagnet would be invented in a few years, followed by experiments with telegraphs. Morse Code would be developed in, oh, fifteen years or so, codified in about twenty.

Broadcast radio was about 80 years away. The phonograph was about fifty years away.

Two hundred years is a long time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

1823 was about thirty years before the civil war. It was three years after the invention of wrought-iron rail, and several years before the first practical steam locomotive protoype was built.

Electromagnetism was discovered about three years previous. The electromagnet would be invented in a few years, followed by experiments with telegraphs. Morse Code would be developed in, oh, fifteen years or so, codified in about twenty.

Broadcast radio was about 80 years away. The phonograph was about fifty years away.

People in the real world don't live for 900 years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ImpAtom posted:

There are things that have been alive for a long time, we can't just communicate with them yet :colbert:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry, is your position that a small fraction of the population having very long lives would result in a slowdown of technical, social, cultural and societal change?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Sorry, is your position that a small fraction of the population having very long lives would result in a slowdown of technical, social, cultural and societal change?

No, I am saying that when your Long Ago Forgotten Time was so recent Chewbacca was alive during it it rings false when you try to pretend it was ancient history. It isn't a small percentage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, the United States went from starry eyed frontiersmen spreading the morally uncomplicated light of civilization across the savage wilderness to irretrievably stagnated reactionary empire of depression in 200 years, i completely get the point whoever came up with the original timeframe was trying to make, I just don’t really think it is helpful in making the point. It’s overly literal and not particularly grounded. The context of Star Wars obviously doesn’t have an industrial revolution in its recent past. If anything this game suggests the opposite historical trend. the empire is a degenerate, clumsy, territorially inferior successor state which has no non-military dimension and no equivalent to the bygone age of High tech, even though there would be people around who apparently lived through both periods!

But in general Star Wars rarely takes a “historicizing” approach (though there are odd exceptions here and there) when it can take a “mythic” approach instead. It’s all “a long time ago”. They’ve been using the same guns and swords and even political institutions like the Jedi since time immemorial. Does this mean writers “don’t understand scale”? No, it means that we are in the realm of fancy here and the literal cloud-castle is the limit. If 200 years was supposed to impress me as a long time, it didn’t, that’s the only reason I brought it up.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

No, I am saying that when your Long Ago Forgotten Time was so recent Chewbacca was alive during it it rings false when you try to pretend it was ancient history. It isn't a small percentage.

I don't think it is treated as a Long Ago Forgotten Time though. In new Star Wars there's "high republic" junk still around, people know what it is, it's just not something people care about, particularly since the religion it's associated with is being persecuted.

And there are some people that live 900 years, most people in Star Wars are human or similar to human.

skasion posted:

But in general Star Wars rarely takes a “historicizing” approach (though there are odd exceptions here and there) when it can take a “mythic” approach instead. It’s all “a long time ago”. They’ve been using the same guns and swords and even political institutions like the Jedi since time immemorial. Does this mean writers “don’t understand scale”? No, it means that we are in the realm of fancy here and the literal cloud-castle is the limit. If 200 years was supposed to impress me as a long time, it didn’t, that’s the only reason I brought it up.

One of my favorite takes on the setting is that the Star Wars universe is a dark age of slowly and continually degrading technological sophistication where the current inhabitants mostly try and keep old junk running. It gets mucked with given how different people treat the material, but it gives a lot of context to how many junk traders there are.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

skasion posted:

It is kind of funny that instead of being way better than other Jedi at sword fighting or magic or whatever, Vader always wins just by virtue of being an unkillable terminator who can walk away from having the building dropped on him.

Man put his skill points in Survival

Speed and technique are for jabrones who don't have raw power.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Timescales in Star Wars make little sense, so require a suspension of disbelief to an extent. Within 20 years the Jedi, who were a well known organisation for thousands of years, were forgotten to the degree that Han Solo thought the Force was bollocks.

They've had interstellar travel for thousands of years too. Seems technology didn't progress much past a certain point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Kind of disagree with this. It's entirely plausible (if not outright "extremely likely") that you'll hit the limits of what can reasonably be done with technology at some point, leading to a situation where hundreds/thousands of years can pass without many fundamental differences.

If anything, it's our current perspective that is distorted, because our last 200 years basically consist of a bunch of massive civilizational changes stemming from developing some key technologies with a zillion possible low-hanging-fruit applications. You can take most other 200 year periods in the last ~3000-4000 years and they won't be nearly as dramatic as, say, 1800-2000.

edit: Basically I find that a lot of people (and fiction as a result) act under the assumption that Literally Anything is possible with technology and rapid progress will continue indefinitely, when that flat-out doesn't make sense. There is no law of the universe saying "intelligent species are going to keep discovering something equivalent to electromagnetism every X years."

edit2: So I think that, if anything, one of the *most* reasonable assumptions of sci-fi is the idea that interstellar civilizations would be able to continue for thousands of years while looking/functioning in a relatively-similar way. I'd say that "the very concept of an interstellar civilization being possible for humans (or similar species)" is far more doubtful.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 24, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nancy posted:

One of my favorite takes on the setting is that the Star Wars universe is a dark age of slowly and continually degrading technological sophistication where the current inhabitants mostly try and keep old junk running. It gets mucked with given how different people treat the material, but it gives a lot of context to how many junk traders there are.

My take is that Star Wars is a universe in which technology is basically done and complete, but engineering is in a constant state of flux and rediscovery. So the Republic always had the scientific knowledge necessary to build a Star Destroyer... but why would they? And now you've been asked to build a bunch of Star Destroyers but the last person who did that died a few hundred years ago so your first stab at a design is not going to be optimal.

One of the things I like about how the last few years have been treating the pre-OT Empire era is the heavy implication that the Empire is deliberately consolidating control of technology and deliberately reducing civilian consumption of... everything in order to feed the war machine.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Star wars is also a setting where long-range communication capabilities seem roughly in line with WW2 era Earth, despite the existence of faster-than-light travel, advanced navigation computers, sentient droids, etc

A lot of stuff just runs on whatever allows for cool stories, set pieces, etc (which, to be clear, is fine).

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 24, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Timescales in Star Wars make little sense, so require a suspension of disbelief to an extent. Within 20 years the Jedi, who were a well known organisation for thousands of years, were forgotten to the degree that Han Solo thought the Force was bollocks.

This one’s what the story is about though. The Jedi and the Force weren’t forgotten organically. They were deliberately buried. Notice that the terrorists in the original movie haven’t forgotten the Jedi (they go to one for help when desperate) and they haven’t forgotten the force (they pray for its aid). You know how the senator in the prologue says someday kids will wonder what a lightsaber was?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Imagine if I told you that wizards are actually real but there have only been a couple of dozen of them alive at any one time and also the last one died 20 years ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The maintenance of standards is truly remarkable. The "Scomp link" frex is a standardized data connection that has lasted what, 60+ years, if not hundreds.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Honestly, Vader getting the poo poo kicked out of him twice a year for the entire span between RotS and ESB sounds like a very Palpatine thing to do. By the time he actually dueled Luke on the 2nd Death Star, Vader probably had fractured every rib at least once. Which is how I would retcon that excuse, anyway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

The maintenance of standards is truly remarkable. The "Scomp link" frex is a standardized data connection that has lasted what, 60+ years, if not hundreds.

Theres a battle droid in sequel spin-off materials who contains recognizable programming from an HK unit that was cannibalized to repair him. That’s a computer that lasted 4000 years, into a completely different canon. Built Tough.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
He spends a lot of time in a bacta tank every day, seems like.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

While we’re talking timelines, how old is Turgle. They let this poor gently caress up drink and carry a gun?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alchenar posted:

Imagine if I told you that wizards are actually real but there have only been a couple of dozen of them alive at any one time and also the last one died 20 years ago.
Hell, there are religions on earth right now that claim to have performed miracles and plenty of followers who would attest to them having done so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I think that loses something when the Vice President is magic and his magic powers are recorded.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think that loses something when the Vice President is magic.

Darth Vader is a religious aristocrat who does dirty work for the regime, not the vice president. He doesn’t even seem to hold military rank, let alone political office. Just some so-called “lord of the Sith” (a people/religion exterminated long ago). He’s like a Nazi occultist. No one believes he’s a wizard except people who know him. They just know he’s imperially bad news. Even then he faces serious religious bigotry in the workplace for being open about his belief that he’s a wizard, and infamously resorts to object lessons of his power.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Okay I know this is extra but do you get the red saber color after finishing the campaign or only when you start NG+?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

skasion posted:

While we’re talking timelines, how old is Turgle. They let this poor gently caress up drink and carry a gun?

Also, imagine how different TPM would have been if Qui-Gon and Obi-wan ran into Turgle instead of Jar Jar. Stare off into the middle distance and imagine it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

black.lion posted:

Okay I know this is extra but do you get the red saber color after finishing the campaign or only when you start NG+?

NG+

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Something about the sheer brutality that the Jedi display when fighting droids being played up for laughs, while stormtroopers and raiders beg for their lives contrasts in a way that sorta feels like maybe Palpatine had the Jedi fighting droids because of how casually brutal they dispatched them. Hell, Vader doesn't really do anything new, he just starts applying the Jedi brutality towards droids to people.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

black.lion posted:

You get it + party saber in NG+, or seemingly in any fresh NG you start after beating the game once.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dogen posted:

My extremely pimped out saber and blaster

ugh I just got unique non metals while doing some post game exploring, making this post obsolete already because obviously my gun needs a pearl grip

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, imagine how different TPM would have been if Qui-Gon and Obi-wan ran into Turgle instead of Jar Jar. Stare off into the middle distance and imagine it.

Instead of facilitating Palpatine's takeover, Senator Turgle just makes everyone laugh

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

PSA: crossguard+ dual sabers with the Fortitude and Versatility perks shreds, especially on bosses. You can use the parry cancel on dual sabers to just wail on stuff and then switch to the claymore for huge damage when they get staggered.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/WZ4SZJCSGG

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think the thing i enjoy the most about this game is the droid banter. I love how delusional the B1s are, how single minded the B2s are, and how ruthless and fed up with everyone the BXs are. So good.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I hope Cal left enough MagnaDroids functional to use as lightsaber combat instructors. I’m all in on Tanallor being the reborn Jedi Academy of yore and it needs goofy yet practical ideas.

Edit: wait a goddam minute, if Cal defeated Reyvis in combat, does that make Cal the new chief of the Raiders? They’re already a cult…

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 25, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Marsupial Ape posted:

I hope Cal left enough MagnaDroids functional to use as lightsaber combat instructors. I’m all in on Tanallor being the reborn Jedi Academy of yore and it needs goofy yet practical ideas.

Edit: wait a goddam minute, if Cal defeated Reyvis on combat, does that make Cal the new chief of the Raiders? They’re already a cult…

It would definitely be cool to have a major character in the next game be a former Raider who joined up. Maybe following the resolution of the post-game Star Destroyer maybe-DLC hook

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Tarezax posted:

It would definitely be cool to have a major character in the next game be a former Raider who joined up. Maybe following the resolution of the post-game Star Destroyer maybe-DLC hook

I believe that there will be DLC. If the galaxy holomap is that huge with no intention of adding planets, then the designer kind of hosed up. There’s enough space to accommodate like 2 seasons passes worth of DLC…which is also concerning.there is no way we’re not pulling that Star Destroyer out of the sky

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think one semi-minor gameplay/interface gripe I have is that successful parries should be clearer. When you parry enemies in the middle of combos, it's often hard for me to tell if I parries them or if it was treated as a regular dodge. There needs to be a clearer sound effect, or a flash or something.

Hulk Krogan posted:

PSA: crossguard+ dual sabers with the Fortitude and Versatility perks shreds, especially on bosses. You can use the parry cancel on dual sabers to just wail on stuff and then switch to the claymore for huge damage when they get staggered.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/WZ4SZJCSGG

I find that I started to heavily use the dual saber "parry stance" thing (which I had initially dismissed) as a crutch later into the game. It seems like the easiest/safest way to play is "run up to enemy, use parry stance, and then keep an eye out for them turning red."

The main vulnerabilities here are:
- Long-ranged attacks
- Enemies sometimes will still attack during your parry stance parry combo
- Sometimes the timing with getting the parry stance up is weird and I'll still eat poo poo even though it seemed like I was in the stance

I'll probably do NG+ at some point, but I'll use stances I rarely used this time around. So in this case, single-blade + dual-blade. Doing that one fracture thing that required dual-blade was actually kind of fun. It has some sorta neat moves, even if I still think dual-saber is cooler.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, hit a repeatable crash that I can't get past. Guess I'll hope for a patch. It's at the end too.

e: nevermind, i fixed it

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is gonna keep happening until they get off their rear end and provide a reason for Jedi to exist post-Empire. One of the consequences of establishing that Luke never refounded the Order is that the twentyish years of Empire time is going to fill up with more exceptions and technicalities.

While they're at it, they also need to clarify the world-state and why the Jedi are even required. Again, Disney seriously hosed themselves by allowing the canon answer to wtf was going on with the Galaxy in the decades after the Empire to be, "eh, not much."

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 25, 2023