Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PSVR was also the cheapest non-phone VR headset on the market at the time (in terms of basic sticker price and if you already had a PS Camera and Move controllers), the PSVR2 is one of the more expensive headsets. Even hitting the same numbers as PSVR1 is surprising to me. I assume we're going to see some more games for it announced at Sony's show later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Blood for the Blood God, the Zuck!
https://www.uploadvr.com/meta-final-layoff-wave/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Four games announced for PSVR2

Resident Evil 4 (no surprises)
Arizona Sunshine 2
Crossfire Sierra Squad (mp FPS)
Synapse (this looks like could be a FPS roguelite)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Dude shooting sucks so bad in VR. Yeah it's fine, but it's so disappointing that it seems to be a huge focus in so many games. The interesting parts of VR are being able to engage and interact with the world, and a glorified laser pointer that just makes something far away dead is one of the least interesting ways of interacting with that world.

I really wish more companies would approach making stuff from a non-flatscreen game focused point of view. It feels like everything is just being made through that lens and it's flubbing so much opportunity

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Just make riven vr you loving cowards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lemming posted:

Dude shooting sucks so bad in VR. Yeah it's fine, but it's so disappointing that it seems to be a huge focus in so many games. The interesting parts of VR are being able to engage and interact with the world, and a glorified laser pointer that just makes something far away dead is one of the least interesting ways of interacting with that world.

I really wish more companies would approach making stuff from a non-flatscreen game focused point of view. It feels like everything is just being made through that lens and it's flubbing so much opportunity

i enjoy shooting in vr in games in games where my gun isnt my hand and i have the opportunity to accidently eject my magazine, drop my gun and then accidentally shoot myself trying to pick it up again in a panic. into the radius is great for this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tossing a shotgun into the air, picking up two uzis and shooting everyone equilibrium style, then catching the shotgun to finish off the last guy in superhot also has never gotten old for me

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

They did, it’s called Obduction

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al! posted:

i enjoy shooting in vr in games in games where my gun isnt my hand and i have the opportunity to accidently eject my magazine, drop my gun and then accidentally shoot myself trying to pick it up again in a panic. into the radius is great for this

But that's because the fun part is in interacting with the gun as a virtual object, with an emphasis on manipulating it and getting better at execution and feel. Most gun games don't even focus on that, and even then, that's a pretty narrow space to explore that is already being explored a bunch by the already existing gun games

I'm not sure how much another four stick locomotion shooters are going to be doing to push things forward

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shooting in VR is great fun, but as mentioned, it has to be good, the guns have to be interactive, they need to be manually loaded and be able to be fumbled and messed up.

Not all games get this

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Shooting in VR is great fun, but as mentioned, it has to be good, the guns have to be interactive, they need to be manually loaded and be able to be fumbled and messed up.

Not all games get this

Contractors does, very very well. The only VR shooter I've played that has weighty and fluid gunplay with snappy aim and satisfying recoil mechanics. You can even pull stuff off other people's models! Great to swipe a teammate's primary at the spawn to gently caress with them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beat Saber calling me out as an out of shape fat rear end goon. Excited to play more of this, once I catch my breath.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

They're remaking it right? So they probably will do this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Beat Saber calling me out as an out of shape fat rear end goon. Excited to play more of this, once I catch my breath.

Try Pistolwhip for another surprise workout that kicks rear end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Contractors does, very very well. The only VR shooter I've played that has weighty and fluid gunplay with snappy aim and satisfying recoil mechanics. You can even pull stuff off other people's models! Great to swipe a teammate's primary at the spawn to gently caress with them.

It's a long Pavlov tradition to show someone how to reload their gun, hand them their gun back, and steal the magazine out while they're holding it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

Dude shooting sucks so bad in VR. Yeah it's fine, but it's so disappointing that it seems to be a huge focus in so many games.

Funny thing, I hadn't noticed it when I posted it but you are right, the four games are FPS. We have the zombie shooter (AS2), the almost-zombie shooter with tints of horror (RE4), the MP shooter and the roguelite shooter. Such variety!

Well, they also announced a Queen dlc for Beat Saber.

edit

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1661500020514775044

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 25, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wheezle posted:

They're remaking it right? So they probably will do this.

Yeah, Obduction, Firmament, and the most recent Myst remake all have full VR support. So there’s no way their Riven remake won’t.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I like using iron sights in VR, definitely makes everything more challenging. Agree that using a laser pointer or something is less interesting.

Also +1 on accidentally ejecting the magazine and then fumbling around on the floor for it desperately being an integral part of the process.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shooting VR is also at its best when it puts you into dynamic situations. Plinking away at a guy from behind cover is all well and good, but it really sings when an enemy suddenly pops up behind you and you end up blasting it by shooting over your shoulder on pure instinct. Or combining bits of melee and ranged combat, especially if it involves grappling or staggering your enemies.

Speaking of, I wish a capable developer would get their hands on a John Wick license.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Does anyone here have any impression of Firmament? The steam reviews aren't encouraging.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I said come in! posted:

The most tired I've ever been in my adult life is after a full fight in Thrill of the Fight. Just...world-shattering physical exhaustion when the adrenaline wears off. Gotta give full respect to those who fight for real and actually get punched in the face repeatedly along with the cardio.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Hm I can buy a Pimax Crystal.... probably shouldn't.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Costco Meatballs posted:

Hm I can buy a Pimax Crystal.... probably shouldn't.

Do not ever buy them direct from the Pimax site unless you want an argument if you need to return it. Wait for it to be available on Amazon.

I believe the stock Crystal has much less FOV than the 5K/8K which is most of the point of getting them over competing headsets.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Was hoping to get a Quest Pro for our office to replace the ancient Vive Pro we use for portable customer demos.

In my mind, the small form factor, combined with inside out tracking, AR passthrough, hand tracking and quest link capability represent a pivotal change of where VR is today and needs to go for the future. It's frankly embarrassing plugging in several lighthouses, tripping over countless cables, setting up guardians and fumbling with clunky headsets and hand controllers in front of people, and embolic of why most people gave up on VR at this point. I've noticed when people try a Quest and see all those obstacles removed, they are much more likely to have buy in.

Sadly, (and arguably given good precedent) they are paranoid about Meta, all the cameras on the device and seeing it as a unneeded risk.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything else on the market comparable. The closest I know of is the Varjo XR - which is 3 times the price and still uses lighthouse tracking.

Check out the Vive Focus 3 or XR Elite. I've ranted about their tech and developer support, but the devices themselves are actually pretty dependable and robust.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Shooting VR is also at its best when it puts you into dynamic situations. Plinking away at a guy from behind cover is all well and good, but it really sings when an enemy suddenly pops up behind you and you end up blasting it by shooting over your shoulder on pure instinct. Or combining bits of melee and ranged combat, especially if it involves grappling or staggering your enemies.

Speaking of, I wish a capable developer would get their hands on a John Wick license.

Some of the most fun I've had is blind firing in Contractors. Guy hiding inside a room? Stick your gun around the corner and spray!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Corbeau posted:

Does anyone here have any impression of Firmament? The steam reviews aren't encouraging.

I just finished it last night, playing it on my HTC Vive. It's definitely a bit janky but there was only one point where it was nearly unplayably so (a large vertical greenhouse area where my framerate tanked to what felt like the teens on a Ryzen 3900X + 3070 Ti, using the automatic graphics settings (mostly a mix of low and medium)). It's probably the weakest of all the Cyan adventure games, the puzzles aren't very complex and many of them are padded by lots of walking around to get to different components of the puzzle and while I did like the story quite a bit it didn't feel all that well integrated into the world (there weren't a lot of non-puzzle interactible items and the story is mostly told through what are effectively audio logs, with a few huge surprises at the end that probably could've used a few more hints of foreshadowing in the earlier parts of the game's world). Probably the best part of the game is the visuals and atmosphere. The environments and especially the architecture of the artificial buildings within those environments are gorgeous. I have seen some other people report some game-breaking bugs but I didn't experience anything that I couldn't solve with the "teleport to safe location" option which would also reset unfinished puzzles, and they have put out a patch that's supposed to fix at least some of them. Overall if you're a fan of Cyan-style adventure games you should probably get it, though you might want to wait for them to smooth out some of the rough edges and for it to go on sale.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

But that's because the fun part is in interacting with the gun as a virtual object, with an emphasis on manipulating it and getting better at execution and feel. Most gun games don't even focus on that, and even then, that's a pretty narrow space to explore that is already being explored a bunch by the already existing gun games

I'm not sure how much another four stick locomotion shooters are going to be doing to push things forward

This. Being able to manipulate items with 6 degrees of freedom with both hands feels so under explored. One of my favorite things I coded is a gravity gun that you use by rotating the side handle. Very janky but, still feels great to use somehow.

https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1295637785186045952

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
VR allowing you to shoot in a direction other than the one you're staring in is super cool.
IMO stuff happening regardless of whether it is inside or outside of one's immediate vision is something that really helps poo poo feel immersive.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Are there any games that really do this well other than Saints and Sinners?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

VR allowing you to shoot in a direction other than the one you're staring in is super cool.
IMO stuff happening regardless of whether it is inside or outside of one's immediate vision is something that really helps poo poo feel immersive.

True. I'd go as far to say that visuals is much less important than spatial presence in VR. It feels like way too much importance is placed on visuals in general, with VR headsets just being thought of as monitors strapped to your face.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Into the Radius and H3VR are much better at gun play than S&S.

ITR has melee opponents in close quarters to get that reactionary point fire going.

H3VR is still more of a tech demo than a game, but has the best weapon handling out if any VR game.

Edit: ah the highlight didn't show up well on my phone, ignore me!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

H3VR may have great gunplay, but it's so sloppy and finnicky to grab onto things that it ends up feeling frustrating and boring. I don't care if it's not pure simulation, make the goddamn grab-parts have a much bigger area you can grasp them from. It's not fun to slowly wave the wand around to find the exact little pip it'll allow you to grab onto.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

honestly the most ive enjoyed gunplay has been re4. enough simulation that you can do revolver ocelot tricks, but also fantastical enough that you can do revolver ocelot tricks. i found out almost all the way through the game that you can reload your weapons by throwing the ammo into the air and catching it with your gun, and from then on that was the only way i reloaded

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Al! posted:

honestly the most ive enjoyed gunplay has been re4. enough simulation that you can do revolver ocelot tricks, but also fantastical enough that you can do revolver ocelot tricks. i found out almost all the way through the game that you can reload your weapons by throwing the ammo into the air and catching it with your gun, and from then on that was the only way i reloaded

Same. It's my personal standard for good VR gunplay. It feels clean and snappy, and playing Pro with no laser sight and manual reload is pretty thrilling.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Black August posted:

H3VR may have great gunplay, but it's so sloppy and finnicky to grab onto things that it ends up feeling frustrating and boring. I don't care if it's not pure simulation, make the goddamn grab-parts have a much bigger area you can grasp them from. It's not fun to slowly wave the wand around to find the exact little pip it'll allow you to grab onto.

For most basic guns I haven't had that issue, but some of the exotics are aaaawwwwful when it comes to that.

What really gets me is going back from Into the Radius, to H3VR to Ghosts of TarkovTabor.

All of them handle guns, grasping, and interactions differently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bsbe4zvyY
The cellshading is striking.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Not many that I know of. Hard Bullet seems to want to go that way, but was still a pretty barebones sandbox last I played. Heavily modded Blade and Sorcery can do the melee part well, but tends to lose out on detail in gunplay.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Has anyone else had issues with getting headaches using VR, and had any luck figuring out why or how to stop them?

I quite often get a weird headache across my head, like a line across where my eyebrows are.

I thought it was the bulky Quest 2 with all the weight in the front, but my wife brought home a Quest Pro (she helps Meta with PR lol) and even though the weight balance is way better I still had the same issue.

I thought maybe the headset was too tight, but I tried to loosen it and it almost slid off my face, so that didn’t seem to be the issue.

Maybe I’m just not cut out for VR.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Are you subconsciously tensing up that area while wearing the headset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Red Rox posted:

Has anyone else had issues with getting headaches using VR, and had any luck figuring out why or how to stop them?

I quite often get a weird headache across my head, like a line across where my eyebrows are.

I thought it was the bulky Quest 2 with all the weight in the front, but my wife brought home a Quest Pro (she helps Meta with PR lol) and even though the weight balance is way better I still had the same issue.

I thought maybe the headset was too tight, but I tried to loosen it and it almost slid off my face, so that didn’t seem to be the issue.

Maybe I’m just not cut out for VR.

Quest Pro is a loving torture device and absolutely isn't balanced better than Q2; all the weight is pulled into your brow as mentioned. Quest 2 if counter-balanced and loosened is fairly comfy though.

Possibly the IPD is wrong, the headset is turned up too bright, the refresh rate is too low, or the focal distance doesn't agree with you.

You can pop off the back rubber support on the Pro and pop it back in upside down. That was a large improvement for me and other goons, though you'll need to prop it up for the charging station to work if you do that.