Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the type of stuff that worries more than anything as the nature of what constitutes warfare moves into the digital age.

I'm 100% convinced that "WW3" or "the next 9/11" is going to be an attack on our digital infrastructure.

Banks, utilities, energy and things like that. Seems like it's only a matter of time before something very serious breaks through and really cripples a giant part of our modern society and it seems to me that it'll basically come down to millions of people not being able to withdrawal money, fill up their tank or turn on their your lights rather than anything like a huge bomb.

There's not one facet of our lives that's not dependent on the internet and all someone would need is a serious virus aimed at out largest banks or power companies to quickly send us into Lord of the FLies territory

Not to mention, not being able to post on the SA forums

what a nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the type of stuff that worries more than anything as the nature of what constitutes warfare moves into the digital age.

I'm 100% convinced that "WW3" or "the next 9/11" is going to be an attack on our digital infrastructure.

Banks, utilities, energy and things like that. Seems like it's only a matter of time before something very serious breaks through and really cripples a giant part of our modern society and it seems to me that it'll basically come down to millions of people not being able to withdrawal money, fill up their tank or turn on their your lights rather than anything like a huge bomb.

There's not one facet of our lives that's not dependent on the internet and all someone would need is a serious virus aimed at out largest banks or power companies to quickly send us into Lord of the FLies territory

More likely to be terrorism or just something not working (think a bigger boat in the canal) than a nation state since everyone's banking is so integrated. Though they could still do something really dumb to a system too complicated for them to understand all the consequences and do that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I'm pretty sure that no one really wants to have a global financial catastrophe outside of some select lunatics in the goo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the problem is that those lunatics keep increasing in numbers and so we get a worse(better?) non zero chance of the ultimate bad financial thing happening.

like regressive dark money doesnt have the short, mid or long term discipline to get themselves (and us) out of this decades long sown and reaping they caused.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PhazonLink posted:

the problem is that those lunatics keep increasing in numbers and so we get a worse(better?) non zero chance of the ultimate bad financial thing happening.

like regressive dark money doesnt have the short, mid or long term discipline to get themselves (and us) out of this decades long sown and reaping they caused.

Sure, I was just agreeing with GG that it's not likely to be an attack from a nation state that brings our economy to a screeching halt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Professor Beetus posted:

Bluntly, there needs to be an age limit, and it's loving absurd that ageism can only go one way and there are minimum age limits for service. Wonder if that has something to do with who makes the laws!

The thing that makes it most obviously needed is that cutting it at the SS retirement age would eliminate half of the Senate and SCOTUS, as well as the last two presidents.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

Sure, I was just agreeing with GG that it's not likely to be an attack from a nation state that brings our economy to a screeching halt.

Yeah, and I don't disagree with BiggerBoat in that something like that could lead to a WW3 like event, just that it wouldn't be the opening salvo of the war and is more likely to be the "Franz Ferdinand gets shot by some yahoos" small domino.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In case anyone expected anything less, Musk's big conversation with Ron DeSantis as he launches his Presidential campaign on Twitter Spaces isn't working

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In case anyone expected anything less, Musk's big conversation with Ron DeSantis as he launches his Presidential campaign on Twitter Spaces isn't working

It's a complete shitshow.

https://twitter.com/PEWilliams_/status/1661495273439256578?s=20
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1661496381800890372?s=20
https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1661495354771095553?s=20

Don't worry. This guy got it figured out.
https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1661497360973742080?s=20

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Please let this be how the rest of DeSantis campaign will go. I want them to learn not a thing from today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Please let this be how the rest of DeSantis campaign will go. I want them to learn not a thing from today.
I kind of agree that it's better in the end for this to not work, because the more you hear of DeSantis the more you aren't going to like him, even if you are a Chud

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Tally statehouse louse outs mouse, sprouts bid for White House

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

*Bugs Bunny voice* ummmmm, maybe.
https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1661496487988060161?s=20

Letting bluechecks upload 2+ hour movies to Twitter might have been a mistake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beautiful

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1661500400409739264?s=20

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Please cl...

NO CARRIER

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So without going into too much detail I work for a multinational heavily in the IT/OT space so I work directly with industrial control systems. These things in general are so vulnerable it's terrifying.

There needs to be a concerted effort to pour money into core grid infrastructure and industrial control in general, up until now this is largely been on the individual companies to police but it's too loving expensive to fix properly that it is often ignored.

The opening salvo of the next major world conflict is going to be a couple valves being opened or closed in creative ways or just introducing interruption to chemical or nuclear reactor monitoring systems.

No these things aren't air gapped, stop saying they are air gapped or should be air gapped because they just aren't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We already saw this happen a decade ago with Stuxnet. If that didn’t scare everyone into improving security I don’t know what will

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

haveblue posted:

We already saw this happen a decade ago with Stuxnet. If that didn’t scare everyone into improving security I don’t know what will

Companies will literally just repeatedly get hit rather than spend money to do good security. Doing security right costs way more than getting hacked.

And government is so non-functional in anything that isn't literally on fire right this moment.

Government couldn't be bothered to follow a step by step guide the previous admin had layed out for them in case of a pandemic and people were literally dying. Computers getting hacked? They don't care.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Money invested into things like updates and security does not immediately return profits and is often expensive. Not doing that means you only incur costs later when you inevitably get your poo poo hacked, and at that point it's not an investment, it's just normal business expenses.

Dumb as hell, but :capitalism:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
apparently the Year 2038 problem is the next major problem.

but thats more than ten years away so not a problem.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trump's spoken about the DeSantis-Musk announcement:
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1661524647588900865?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe firing anyone at Twitter who might be able to fix these problems wasn't such a good idea.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

These sorts of things require a lot of pre-planning, special testing, etc., since they tend to get an unusual amount of attention.
I am sure Twitter had people for that before Elon fired them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

haveblue posted:

I kinda felt the same way about the Morris worm. That was 1988. Instead we've ended up with a situation where substantial chunks of the internet are dependent on load-bearing single-developer NPM libraries.

Years ago I figured what was going to happen was that there'd eventually be a major breach exposing customer data and that that would produce a wave of regulation. But instead we've just sorta accepted that major breaches exposing customer data are just a fact of life and there's shockingly little liability for mis/nonfeasance in terms of companies handling sensitive data.

I think the only way out of it is if we started treating programming more like engineering—with accreditation for education, licensure for practice, regulation on what's produced, and liability for failures. But I have no idea how to plausibly get there from here.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation

Young Freud posted:

Trump's spoken about the DeSantis-Musk announcement:
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1661524647588900865?s=20

lmao

Looks like he’s still got it, and looks more and more like desantis is a disaster

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 25, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

Maybe firing anyone at Twitter who might be able to fix these problems wasn't such a good idea.
He was just bragging the other day that he fired 80% of the workforce at Twitter (I have to assume that this probably includes people that just quit)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I thought everyone at Twitter was a coder now - why couldn’t they just code a solution in real time???

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
They said learn to code and dangit I'm learning!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

pencilhands posted:

lmao

Looks like he’s still got it, and looks more and more like desantis is a disaster

A Desantster!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

SubG posted:

I kinda felt the same way about the Morris worm. That was 1988. Instead we've ended up with a situation where substantial chunks of the internet are dependent on load-bearing single-developer NPM libraries.

Years ago I figured what was going to happen was that there'd eventually be a major breach exposing customer data and that that would produce a wave of regulation. But instead we've just sorta accepted that major breaches exposing customer data are just a fact of life and there's shockingly little liability for mis/nonfeasance in terms of companies handling sensitive data.

I think the only way out of it is if we started treating programming more like engineering—with accreditation for education, licensure for practice, regulation on what's produced, and liability for failures. But I have no idea how to plausibly get there from here.

It’s going to get much worse.

Supply chain attacks are some of the most effective ways to infiltrate companies and ChatGPT is going to introduce a whole new class of them.

Also, the bar for getting something that kind works now is really low now, so there’s gonna be a lot of AI developed prototypes built by incompetent developers controlling critical infrastructure in the near future.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Weak rear end mumbling rear end presidential campaign announcement full of boomer tries to use skype energy start to finish, I absolutely love it

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, we found a new low below Four Seasons Landscaping.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Morrow posted:

Yeah, we found a new low below Four Seasons Landscaping.

Turns out 4 seasons landscaping is like the Triatram cathedral in that there's many levels below.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yeah cause for all of how hosed it was, 4 seasons was still an EVENT. Rudy got to talk, there was iconic picture taking, it was memorable, unlike this event in which the second most viable conservative politician after trump went all in on the most broke medium possible, Elon all mumbling through it like Strong Bad's imitation of a college radio host

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Oh my god look at the Desantis official campaign website

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation

Lol a little scrolling “under construction” banner wouldn’t be out of place

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DeSantis is the web 1.0 of Republucan politicians.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SubG posted:

There was some noise about it earlier this year but I haven't really been tracking it: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/03/biden-administration-wants-to-hold-companies-liable-for-bad-cybersecurity/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Official Desantis Website”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

I AM GRANDO posted:

“Official Desantis Website”

I made better websites when I was 13 using basic html