Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there somewhere that lists all the ______ shooters and what they mean? Like what is an extraction shooter?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

The 7th Guest posted:

Revenant Hill (TBD) - The creator of Night in the Woods is back with a new game, possibly in an alternate universe? (The logo style was very similar, but the cat was very specifically not walkin' upright)

I imagine no one wants to name something "Night in the Woods 2" after what happend.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Revenant Hill (TBD) - The creator of Night in the Woods is back with a new game, possibly in an alternate universe? (The logo style was very similar, but the cat was very specifically not walkin' upright)

i wouldn't read anything into it being visually similar to NITW, most of scott bensons work looks like that

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

Always be wary of boomer shooter hype at release. Prodeus and Ion Fury were being touted as great before the honeymoon cycle ended.

Ion Fury was the one with the insanely transphobic dev who apologized then later decided that "no gently caress you we meant it" was a better alternative.

Feels like boomer shooters took off like a loving rocket in the last few years replacing voxel based games as the new hotness. There's one from like 5-10 years ago that was sort of rogue-like based around exploring a cave, more funny then gorey, and I think being drunk was a main status effect. I would sworn it was a goon game or something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cat Quest 3 gently caress yesssssssss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orvin posted:

Is there somewhere that lists all the ______ shooters and what they mean? Like what is an extraction shooter?

It's an escape from tarkov where you go in to grab toilet paper and not get shot by a second player who played a hundred more hours and has a nicer gun than you also doing it. You lose your weapons and armor when you die usually.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orvin posted:

Takes a quick google so yes, but it's games like Tarkov/COD DMZ where you're looting stuff and have to extract from limited extraction points and if you die you lose everything you had on you.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

explosivo posted:

Takes a quick google so yes, but it's games like Tarkov/COD DMZ where you're looting stuff and have to extract from limited extraction points and if you die you lose everything you had on you.

And also in the real world.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kennel posted:

And also in the real world.

I mean that goes without saying

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Not me, I'm taking my COD weed skin into the afterlife

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kazil posted:

It looked literally like the first two games too, like they know what people want from them and don't want to gently caress with it.

Reposting recap for new page, a lot of it IS pc-relevant I promise (some images I grabbed right off of Steam pages), many trailers just only mentioned PS4/PS5 which is typical of Sony shows and then the multiplatform is announced/revealed later:

The 7th Guest posted:

Sony Showcase 2023 Recap

I will give Sony this: they put in the effort on this one. I don't love everything they showed but they had a pretty wide mix of games to show, many of which were first time reveals. Still, a lot of these will likely release on PC which is why I'm recapping here.

Helldivers 2 (2023) - The sequel to the top-down twin-stick shooter is switching over to third-person shooting, which feels like it will be too close to EDF for comfort. Already announced as coming to PC as well.

Immortals of Aveum (July 20) - A story-heavy first person magic shooter that looks like it plays a lot more slowly than the developers wish it did.

Ghostrunner 2 (2023) - The sequel to the ninja parkour game adds a motorcycle for additional traversal.

Phantom Blade 0 (TBA) - Looks like a fast-paced Soulslike set in imperial Japan but also anachronistic technology? Seems way too desaturated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyL_pvFEU4E

Sword of the Sea (TBA) - Giant Squid (Abzu, The Pathless) are creating another big journey game

The Talos Principle 2 (2023) - It's been a very long time coming, but Croteam's followup to one of Steam's biggest first person puzzle games is finally arriving. Will probably see this again at Devolver's show in two-ish weeks.

Neva (2024) - From the developer of Gris comes another project with full traditional animation, although the trailer was purely cinematic.

Cat Quest 3: Pirates of the Purribean (2024) - It literally looks like more Cat Quest, I don't think the dev is interested in reinventing the wheel.

Foamstars (TBA) - Square-Enix loudly shouts "we have Splatoon at home" with 3v3 shooting using soap based weaponry and surfing on the soap. I mean I don't know what else to say, it's literally a Splatoon ripoff by Square-Enix for some reason, at a time when multiplayer games are oversaturated and broadly failing to retain players.

The Plucky Squire (2023) - Another look at the genre blend of beautiful 2D artwork, Zelda fighting and Tinykin-style 3D environments with a date targeting this year. We might get a more precise release window at Developer's showcase in two-ish weeks.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake (TBD) - Just a cinematic teaser. If Kojima isn't involved, uh, well, lol. An HD collection of the MGS trilogy is also coming in Autumn. A new one, that is. I guess.

Towers of Aghasba (TBD) - Looks like a life sim mixed with Breath of the Wildy exploration and kingdom building.

Final Fantasy 16 (June 22) - Another trailer for one of this year's biggest releases. I looked for black people in the trailer but didn't see any, but I'm sure they're in the game somewhere.

Alan Wake 2 (Oct 17) - Remedy's flashlight-shooter is back and yes, you will be using the flashlight again. There's a new playable character alongside Wake and what looked like Max Payne to me but I'm an idiot and forgot that Sam Lake's likeness is also a character in the original game, I just forgot the name! They made him do The Face on one of the TV segments.

Assassin's Creed Mirage (Oct 12) - Ubisoft is taking the series back to its single city stealth roots with a game looking to echo the heights of the Ezio trilogy. I remain skeptical.

Granblue Fantasy Relink (2023) - Apparently this still exists and is finally coming out this year?

Street Fighter 6 (June 2) - Mostly a 'launch trailer' style trailer combining cutscenes, narration and gameplay. No character reveals at this point.

Ultros (2024) - Hand drawn exploration Metroidvania with a very funky and psychadelic purple-hued aesthetic.

Dragon's Dogma 2 (TBA) - First gameplay footage shown of the long-awaited sequel. Plenty of big bosses, kinda janky animations, and silliness. Between Alan Wake and Dragon's Dogma, this is the year of

Five Nights at Freddys: Help Wanted 2 (TBA) - gently caress the creator of this stupid series

Marathon (TBA) - Bungie's original series returns! Hahaha syke, it's a PVP extraction shooter now. Not joking. AAA gaming is a loving parody.

Concord (2024) - Cinematic trailer, nothing really to go off of.

Spider-Man 2 (Fall 2023) - Cinematic trailer revealing the villain of the game, then a lot of heavily setpiece-focused gameplay. Don't really care. Seemed needlessly grim. You're symbiote Spidey in this I guess. Whatever.

The rest of the showcase was VR, so I'm not sure if it was worth posting about because Sony does go for exclusivity on their games. RE4 Remake is getting a VR mode for example, different from the RE4 VR that already exists, that will probably only be for PSVR2. They also announced Sunshine Arizona 2 (2023) which will probably come to PC.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 24, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the website for revenant hill (from the NITW guys) is up and confirms it's coming to steam

no mention of xbox or switch though

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

Alan Wake 2 (Oct 17) - Remedy's flashlight-shooter is back and yes, you will be using the flashlight again. There's a new playable character alongside Wake and what looked like Max Payne to me but I'm an idiot and forgot that Sam Lake's likeness is also a character in the original game, I just forgot the name!

I had to go double check because I'm not 100% read up on the Remedy-verse, but AFAIK Sam Lake only appears as a cameo in the original Alan Wake. (It's a late night show and the host asks him to "do the face".) Meanwhile Alan's book series is just serial-numbers-filed-off Max Payne, renamed Alex Casey. But then it turns out they also filmed an Alan Wake 2 teaser way back as part of Quantum Break, which features...FBI Agent Alex Casey, played by Lake (and seemingly voiced by Mcaffrey) alongside a female partner. So it seems like this carries on right from that (though the partner is completely different).

Also I strongly suspect that the hellish cityscape that keeps creeping in is going to be a corrupted version of book-Casey's Noir York City. And the work they did on that is probably what led to the Max Payne remake.

pentyne posted:

There's one from like 5-10 years ago that was sort of rogue-like based around exploring a cave, more funny then gorey, and I think being drunk was a main status effect. I would sworn it was a goon game or something.

You're thinking of WASTED. It wasn't caves, it was Fallout Vaults, because the entire thing was heavily steeped in Fallout 3-ness. (And yup, a goon game.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

kazil posted:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crazy idea let's ne also coop with actual people in dragons dogma 2

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Upsidads posted:

No. You are wrong. And luckily Itsuno agrees, according to the official site it's single player. You will take your pawns and like it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Solid enough showcase, and from what I can tell most of that stuff will be day 1 PC.

Marathon as an extraction shooter is pretty funny though. I assume it’ll be FTP so I might pop in and give it a try if they can keep that art style in game cause drat.

Edit: also if Marathon is a PvP shooter then Myth is totally coming back as a MOBA in 2027 or something right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Upsidads posted:

No

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
wolves hunt in packs

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can now high-five your pawns and it probably raises some garbage inclination that makes them want to high five you instead of actually contribute to combat and I can't wait to get annoyed at it. Zero irony.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Upsidads posted:

Dragon's Dogma Online exists

well it, did

and never made it overseas

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ice-Pick Lodge has been continuing their ARG thing too of recent, with cards that went to Kickstarter backers having clues that led to this account which posts images on occasion, seems nobody's solved the latest image in a week or so?
https://www.reddit.com/user/FyodorVitin
All hinting at the Bachelor route, so I suppose it's not dead yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hogama posted:

Ice-Pick Lodge has been continuing their ARG thing too of recent, with cards that went to Kickstarter backers having clues that led to this account which posts images on occasion, seems nobody's solved the latest image in a week or so?
https://www.reddit.com/user/FyodorVitin
All hinting at the Bachelor route, so I suppose it's not dead yet.

They've said previously it's likely more or less going to be a full game, and they're still working on that mobile game of theirs Franz too

Changeling route 2030 lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Let me train my pawn to backstab players it accompanies and steal their loot and bring it back to me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LLSix posted:

Do Immortal Life NPCs have more than one line of dialogue yet?

The farming is fine, but the world feels surprisingly hollow and empty given the central conceit that you are a member of a sect, nominally co-operating with the NPCs.
I only thought you wanted a suggestion on other games. I only tried the demo since it is Early Access and didn't want to commit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I am going to remain extremely wary about the MGS3 remake the same way I would be wary about the Max Payne remakes being done by a company besides Remedy (which they aren’t just an example)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So is this a game by the death stranding guy?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

So is this a game by the death stranding guy?

perhaps it was, at some point

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

These are the store pages up so far for things announced today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2305840/Cat_Quest_Pirates_of_the_Purribean/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1540210/Arizona_Sunshine_2/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2386310/Ultros/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2144740/Ghostrunner_2/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/835960/The_Talos_Principle_2/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420660/Neva/

Also add me to the list of people excited for Cat Quest 3.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

perhaps it was, at some point

If I can't recharge my batteries by eating a glowing mushroom and then also talk to my bewildered support team about it, failed remake.
If I can't skip an entire boss fight by shooting an old man sleeping in a wheelchair, failed remake.
If I can't kill an enemy soldier who is then eaten by a vulture which I then kill/capture and eat myself only for the ghost of the soldier to return during a near-death experience chanting "You ate me!", failed remake.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"play games as they were" is Konami for sub 1080 sub 30fps mgs collection

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cat Quest: Black Flag
https://i.imgur.com/RaHuO9i.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As I make my way through chapter 2 of Boltgun, its gameplay loop is kinda starting to wear thin. I'm not a big fan of this map design, there is not a lot in the way of environmental markers that help point you in the right direction.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MGS3 remake is coming to everything

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1661475262427713539

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Hwurmp posted:

-Lots of the big fights have a damage boost or infinite ammo powerup, but it's always a secret and you have to ignore the fight while you search for it. That is Dumb. Put the fun powerup right at the entrance and balance the fight accordingly. Make all the secrets non-timed bonuses like special bolt mags, machine spirits, or new gun's a few levels early.

Yep, this is one of the most frustrating parts for me. So many fights I blast through to only find the powerups at the end which are useless to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Steam page just yet for MGS3 Remake. I noticed that MGS1-3 collection does not have announced platforms yet, but I think its probably a given that it will be available for everything.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Marathon has next to zero cultural cachet these days, so Bungie slapping that name on something largely unrelated ain't that surprising. Neat style tho.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I noticed that MGS1-3 collection does not have announced platforms yet, but I think its probably a given that it will be available for everything.
Oh man and I just got Twin Snakes working on my Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Marathon has next to zero cultural cachet these days, so Bungie slapping that name on something largely unrelated ain't that surprising. Neat style tho.
I do wonder if they'll continue to allow the Marathon Trilogy modern/HD fan ports to exist, this seems like the kind of thing where Sony ruins a good thing for the sake of 'brand cohesion'