Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Universal cat distribution system working as intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

bowmore posted:

Universal cat distribution system working as intended

A lot of cats climb into the space inside the belt and get yanked into the gears when the engine starts. It's really lucky that he decided to sound off when someone was nearby, instead of staying in hiding

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, but affordable, wet cat food?

I'm currently buying THIS, which seems to be a good brand, but it's $38/24 cans. I have 2 cats, and they each get 0.5 cans per meal, 2 meals per day. So 2 cans per day .

Meaning I'm spending almost $70/month.

Is that a good price? Can I be doing better?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Annath posted:

I'm currently buying THIS, which seems to be a good brand, but it's $38/24 cans. I have 2 cats, and they each get 0.5 cans per meal, 2 meals per day. So 2 cans per day .

I use Tiki Cat which has reviewed very well for the quality of it's ingredients, but it's still like $2.50 a can and my cat gets 3 a day so I'm spending around 2-300 a month. If you buy the bigger cans it's probably better.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

VelociBacon posted:

I use Tiki Cat which has reviewed very well for the quality of it's ingredients, but it's still like $2.50 a can and my cat gets 3 a day so I'm spending around 2-300 a month. If you buy the bigger cans it's probably better.

I'll check that out.

I looked at the feeding instructions for the food I'm currently using, and it recommends 2 cans (6oz total) per day? That's double what each cat is currently getting (3oz total per day). Granted I cut back their food (and switched to canned from dry) because they are getting fat, but is that a reasonable amount?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Annath posted:

I think $70/month on canned food for 2 cats is actually really good. I sometimes feed my cats Nulo (I think they’re ok?), and they make 12.5oz cans and sell them in 12 packs:
$44.28 for 150oz

I weigh out the meals on a food scale and use something like thisto stash open cans in the fridge. Food gets nuked for 8-10 seconds so it’s warm for my goombas. :3:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My apartment is on the fourth floor, and has a balcony.

Does anyone have any advice about catproofing a balcony? I'm pretty sure that Tuna is smart enough to not jump to his doom, but when I gave him some supervised balcony time, he did like to poke his head through the bars of the railing to get a better view, and that's a little too panic-inducing for me to leave it as a space that's freely available to him. Is netting over the railing so he can't get through enough, or do I need to work out a way to roof it off as well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much any netting will work, but there are catio specific types out there. Whether you need to roof it in or not depends on the cat's personality, if he's a jumper you might want to secure the top somehow. But if he's content to flop over and soak in the sunbeams you can probably skip it.

If you're in an apartment complex check with the rules, some places don't like people dressing up the place like that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man I never minded buying my cat we food but when I adopted my mom's cat it was accustomed to dry and the price difference was absurd. I'd spend a hundred dollars on cans and the single ten or twenty dollar bag was still going strong.

Notably, my original cat is happy to eat dry food now that she's "stealing" it from another cat :ssh:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Man I never minded buying my cat we food but when I adopted my mom's cat it was accustomed to dry and the price difference was absurd. I'd spend a hundred dollars on cans and the single ten or twenty dollar bag was still going strong.

Notably, my original cat is happy to eat dry food now that she's "stealing" it from another cat :ssh:

Both my cats have food they love, but it's different food. One's a chonkier boy (he's on weight loss food, I control his portions, I don't get why he's not losing weight! Gotta ask the vet), the other is a slim though big younger cat.

Despite them both loving their own food, they love even more trying to steal food from each other. Neither seems to care that the other is eating "their" food, and they have chip feeders so they only get maybe a mouthful at absolute most before it closes on them. But cats man!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I really preferred the dry food from a wallet perspective, but after hearing so many stories about how bad dry food is for cats (and, having a male cat for the first time, hearing about how urinary crystals can be fatal) I switched to the wet.

They are happy to eat it, but they're extremely unhappy with how small the portions are.

Granted they are both fatasses, the girl especially.

Since switching (about 2 months) they've both slimmed down a bit (the male more than the female), but they *still* sit outside my door yowling at 5am, and constantly jump on tables/scratch chairs/paw at cabinets/generally make nuisances of themselves until I feed them.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Annath posted:

I really preferred the dry food from a wallet perspective, but after hearing so many stories about how bad dry food is for cats (and, having a male cat for the first time, hearing about how urinary crystals can be fatal) I switched to the wet.

They are happy to eat it, but they're extremely unhappy with how small the portions are.

Granted they are both fatasses, the girl especially.

Since switching (about 2 months) they've both slimmed down a bit (the male more than the female), but they *still* sit outside my door yowling at 5am, and constantly jump on tables/scratch chairs/paw at cabinets/generally make nuisances of themselves until I feed them.

My big boy cat doesn't even see wet food as food at all. Like we do a little joint feeding with a quarter a can of wet food for each of them, but eventually we switched his to a little bit of kibble because he'd sniff at it and then just stare at us like: "hey, where's my actual food?!?"

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

My apartment is on the fourth floor, and has a balcony.

Does anyone have any advice about catproofing a balcony? I'm pretty sure that Tuna is smart enough to not jump to his doom, but when I gave him some supervised balcony time, he did like to poke his head through the bars of the railing to get a better view, and that's a little too panic-inducing for me to leave it as a space that's freely available to him. Is netting over the railing so he can't get through enough, or do I need to work out a way to roof it off as well?

YMMV depending on the cat and their propensity for shenanigans, but when I moved into my flat I gave the cats some supervised balcony time and Cinnamon slipped between the railings and took a walk along the ledge on the edge of the building, which was... concerning, so I immediately went and got some garden netting. It's fairly sturdy stuff. I got it in a roll that's about half as high as my balcony railings and as tall as the cat, so I just put one length of it up to start. She could easily jump over it but is far too lazy, and content to simply sniff and watch birds through the netting.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Crocobile posted:

I literally have the sunflower one on that page and Sinjin loves it! He was too fast at getting the food out of those ball puzzle feeders but the mat works super well.

Niko couldn’t really figure it out, but his general strategy is to follow Sinjin and attempt to steal whatever he’s eating.
Following up on this from a while back, we decided to get the sunflower mat for Merlin and Kali a few weeks ago.

We replaced one of their two food bowls with it at first. After the cats got used to it a bit, we also ordered the lotus one to replace their other food bowl. Merlin took to mat-only feeding right away, and Kali was unhappy for a day or two before she adjusted. They now both eat from either mat, maybe slightly preferring the sunflower, which is easier (the lotus petals are stiffer and deeper.) Kali hasn't lost any weight yet but she definitely eats more slowly, which is what we were hoping for.

One interesting side effect of the change is that Merlin seems newly anxious about running out of food. He's started complaining in the early morning if there isn't enough on the sunflower in particular. But the quantity of food we put out every day has remained the same, measured by scoops :confused: Maybe it looks more "empty" to him compared with the bowl, since the food's spread out over a larger area? It's a new behavior anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The chemo worked, for a few days! Normal litterbox usage, quality, behavior, and appetite for 3-4 days after the first dose. Aaand then the symptoms gradually returned to pre-chemo levels…so we probably won’t see relief until the next time he gets the pill. And then I have no idea if it’ll even stick.

I ain’t a doctor and I’m useless at bio/med. Is this normal, or does it mean something’s not quite right with the dosage?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I have a cat and a dog and I love them both very much.

Yesterday my fiancé was driving and spotted a kitten trying to get across a crosswalk in a busy intersection. She slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting him and he went under the car. One of her passengers said they thought they saw him make it out the other side and run off, and there was no kitten smear on the road, so she went about the rest of her day after that. She told me all about it last night.

This morning, I’m getting in my car to go to work when I start hearing a mewing noise. I followed the sound over to her hood. Turns out, she got a kitten stowaway! He must have climbed into the undercarriage of her car when she slammed on the brakes. It took us almost two hours to extract him from underneath the engine, during which time he was protesting very loudly. He must have spent the last day or so in the body of her car, including about 60 miles of driving.

We gave him some food and water which he completely devoured almost immediately. He began purring VERY LOUDLY for such a little guy and then he settled down for a nap on my lap.

https://i.imgur.com/GnKO6OK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ybdO27z.mp4

I guess now I have two cats and a dog. Hoping my other pets are cool with him, though we’re not going to introduce them until the kitten has a chance to get checked out for illness/fleas/etc. My parents are vets, so that part’s actually the easiest.

Kitten update: He had really bad fleas but we have addressed that with a bunch of baths and now he is starting to run amok across my house. He is eating and drinking and napping and purring and generally being a good boy when he is not trying to shred the gently caress out of my couch with his tiny baby talons and fangs. I was trying to use a spray bottle to dissuade some chewing behaviors but he has transcended a fear of being wet and now just ignores it.

https://i.imgur.com/qMFHiBf.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/dJTsBIC.mp4

I have a dog named Susie and a cat named Ollie already, though Ollie basically understands his name to be "heycat" because that's all anyone ever says to him. They both have accepted kitten as a new reality for the most part, so he's going to be staying and needs a name. Top contenders for names so far are Turbo, Bug, Miles, Scooter, Axle, Noodle, Pepper/Pepperoni, and Rocket. I was trying to stick with car-themed names at first but I wasn't loving what I was coming up with.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 21, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given how much he apparently purrs, and where he was found;

Engine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

As a variation, "motor" is pretty sonorous and also nickname-able.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
E: N/M, all good!

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 22, 2023

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Hello thread! About a month ago everyone was very kind to me about my old man Pontus passing away. I'm very happy to report there's a new scrunkle in the household, who is the opposite of my neurotic old dude in every way, so I am learning New Things About Cats!

Meet Stoffer, who is small and so fast. Too fast.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

parara posted:

Hello thread! About a month ago everyone was very kind to me about my old man Pontus passing away. I'm very happy to report there's a new scrunkle in the household, who is the opposite of my neurotic old dude in every way, so I am learning New Things About Cats!

Amazing cat, what an expression. What poise. Thank you for sharing!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

parara posted:

I regret to inform you that mine is over a year old and Still Very Fast.

Stoffer's cute as hell, though. :shobon:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
wondering if anyone can offer advice/make me feel better about a situation my partner and i are in with our two cats.
Backstory: they are a bonded brother/sister pair that was found outside a bo-jangles just before the pandemic hit. we adopted them at 5 months and they are basically inseparable.

The male has had some health issues- nothing major, but a couple that freaked us out enough to take him to the emergency vet, and those were long visits.

At his most recent checkup it was discovered he had multiple teeth with resorption that needed extraction.
last tuesday, we took him in the morning for surgery, and scheduled to pick him up at 4- but the vets x-ray machine broke apparently, so the surgery didnt happen(we couldnt get out of our jobs to get him until 4)

Yesterday, we did the same and the surgery went off without a hitch. Brought him home and... the female is acting like she has never seen this cat. Hissing/growling/and hiding. The male is extremely confused by all this(not helped by being drugged on pain killers) and keeps approaching her but thankfully backing off. We are doing are best to keep them separated but it is difficult in our living space. everything i read is saying this is a Thing that Can Happen, but its extremely weird because the male has had instances where hes been gone for long periods and come home and shes been fine with him. I'm seriously starting to panic that this is just the new reality and we've somehow shattered a 4 year bond between these two.

cats...what the hell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think that might be normal, the same thing happens with our cats (so now we schedule all appointments as a pair if possible). My guess is they associate bad experience with "vet smell" and cat comes home smelling all weird. Smell is their primary recognition method.

It should pass, but it might not. Cats gonna cat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

He just smells weird and it'll take a few days tops before things are back to normal.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

clean ayers act posted:

wondering if anyone can offer advice/make me feel better cats...what the hell

Once her friend stops looking/acting like a zombie that smells like the enemy and is probably muttering incoherently, she'll feel better about the situation.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

xzzy posted:

I think that might be normal, the same thing happens with our cats (so now we schedule all appointments as a pair if possible). My guess is they associate bad experience with "vet smell" and cat comes home smelling all weird. Smell is their primary recognition method.

It should pass, but it might not. Cats gonna cat.

yeah, we usually take them as a pair, but given it was an 8 hour deal we didnt want to make her go just to hang out at the vet, given it stresses her out. and also, it had never been an issue before.
its only been about 29 hours so im hoping it passes. the good news is she's still using the litter boxes that he uses, which i was afraid she might not given his weird scent is all over it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hell, my cats do that to me when I come back from vacation. After a day or two of avoiding me like I'm some weirdo that broke into the home they're back to demanding laptime and cuddles.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Some cats do that, some don't. Two of my cats are perfectly happy to see us when we come back from a lomg trip, and the last one just needs to be coaxed out of his hiding spot and then he's fine.

Conversely, we fostered a bonded pair who were VERY scared the first few weeks they were here, and one actually hissed away the other when she tried to go to her for comfort. But once they settled down and warmed up to us, they were back to cuddling each other.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Seems to be some progress as of this afternoon. she will approach him with tail up as if to do her customary head bop and then within about a foot will suddenly veer off and hiss

e: sorry for the thread spam. this stressed me the hell out but i realize these are extremely dull posts

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How about some FOSTER KITTENS

Bonus: Tito, the older foster kitten that was adopted out last month. One of the most friendly and goofy cats I've ever met.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hi cat thread!

I have two new kittens, about 10 months old, and have never had kittens before. It looks like they have both developed a dark ring around their iris which looking at previous pictures of them when they were younger they didn't have. They seem to have no issues with vision or otherwise, just noticing this ring. It just borders the iris and as far as I know isn't growing. I can't find anything that would make me think this is something to worry about but wanted to check. Thanks!

I will get some pictures of them later for the thread too!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If they're not having any issues with vision or other indicators of illness, I wouldn't worry about it. Cat eye color changes a lot while they're young. Can always ask the vet at their next checkup?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

sorry for the thread spam. this stressed me the hell out but i realize these are extremely dull posts

On the contrary, I'm invested.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

sorry for the thread spam. this stressed me the hell out but i realize these are extremely dull posts

Same, I'm invested in this tale now, please keep updating us on your kitties.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Is there no tabby thread? Seems to be one for every other color of cat

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How about some FOSTER KITTENS

Bonus: Tito, the older foster kitten that was adopted out last month. One of the most friendly and goofy cats I've ever met.

oh my god that calico :kimchi:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boogalo posted:

oh my god that calico :kimchi:

I know, right? She actually started cleaning her mom in that pic, it was adorable.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

parara posted:

Same, I'm invested in this tale now, please keep updating us on your kitties.

i aim to please... today she did a full on approach and head bop, then stopped and jumped back and hissed before wandering away. also she's no longer hiding from him, they were both on the couch today, albeit on opposite sides.
he is very confused, but thank god he is chill about the whole thing. Im guessing that he mostly smells normal now but she's just getting a whiff of the weird smell still when she gets super close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I have a cat tree on a table so mine can climb all the way up to the ceiling fan. I was having issues with them batting the pull cords around so that they banged into the bulb covers like church bells, very distracting! So I took the ends off with the little handles and it's just the little metal chain hanging down. So now the just get that stuck in their claws and actually turn the lights off :doh:

They've also graduated to... other things :catdrugs:

https://i.imgur.com/t1j2H9A.mp4