Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Maybe I should introduce some creeping bellflower to combat these Himalayan blackberries. Fuckers are 12 feet tall with stalks the size of your thumb and thorns the size of your thumb nail and they just overtake everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My wood staircase is a little slippery for my dog. Any recommendations other than the top result on Amazon for "stair tread"? I don't want to do a carpet runner because it'll get trashed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My wood staircase is a little slippery for my dog. Any recommendations other than the top result on Amazon for "stair tread"? I don't want to do a carpet runner because it'll get trashed.

This is why when we did the floors we specifically left the stairs carpet.

Well that and stairs are fuckin expensive as hell to do.

Honestly though this is probably your best bet.

https://www.runrug.com/us/stair-carpet-runners-c38

Not sure you have many other options.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MarcusSA posted:

This is why when we did the floors we specifically left the stairs carpet.

Well that and stairs are fuckin expensive as hell to do.

Honestly though this is probably your best bet.

https://www.runrug.com/us/stair-carpet-runners-c38

Not sure you have many other options.

That's a cheap carpet runner for sure but I'd rather go with individual treads I can plop down and replace when they're messed up. There are frustratingly TOO many options! But I guess there's no sense thinking too hard about an object that's designed to get trampled.

Looks like Orvis makes some that are basically just doormats cut to stair tread size? That won't look very nice but it'll probably clean the hell out of some muddy paws!

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Our washer was in the middle of a "clean itself" cycle when the power went out. Now it's full of water and won't drain. Did the power outage fry anything, or did five years of running cat and dog hair covered clothing finally clog the filter? I'd like to open the filter and check, but there is no panel where the manual says there should be one. Anyway, there is a guy coming to check it out this afternoon.

I move in three and a half months, hopefully this is the last thing I have to pay to have fixed in this place.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Can you manually set it to a drain and spin cycle and run that? Or does it not power on at all?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's a cheap carpet runner for sure but I'd rather go with individual treads I can plop down and replace when they're messed up. There are frustratingly TOO many options! But I guess there's no sense thinking too hard about an object that's designed to get trampled.

Looks like Orvis makes some that are basically just doormats cut to stair tread size? That won't look very nice but it'll probably clean the hell out of some muddy paws!

We had to get some treads a while back for our dog as well, at the time we went with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082BJ3KXV. They work decently, but they kind of look and feel like mousepads and are impossible to keep clean. I actually just ordered these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09M7XG3JY yesterday to replace them.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Poldarn posted:

Our washer was in the middle of a "clean itself" cycle when the power went out. Now it's full of water and won't drain. Did the power outage fry anything, or did five years of running cat and dog hair covered clothing finally clog the filter? I'd like to open the filter and check, but there is no panel where the manual says there should be one. Anyway, there is a guy coming to check it out this afternoon.

I move in three and a half months, hopefully this is the last thing I have to pay to have fixed in this place.

All the washers I've seen have a small panel in front that you open to access the pump housing, which also serves as a way to drain the tub in case of "oh gently caress." Last washer I had it was a big loving threaded cover with a tiny reservoir in which you could fit the nozzle of a wet vac... took loving forever of cracking the cover, sucking up all the water as it trickled out, and closing it when my tiny 1/2 gallon wet vac had to be emptied.

In my current washer, it comes with a long hose that you can drain in to a tub or something. Much nicer, but after the above debacle I now have a much larger wet vac... and I also learned not to run baby socks without a mesh bag because they will definitely sneak past the tub and clog the pump!

As the other poster mentioned, there SHOULD be a way to manually trigger a drain cycle. Usually you can run it directly or via the "spin only" cycle.

It might be caught in some stupidity where it won't start any cycle because it detects water in the tub. If you can't get it to do a spin/drain cycle, then I would drain it manually and try again.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

All the washers I've seen have a small panel in front that you open to access the pump housing, which also serves as a way to drain the tub in case of "oh gently caress." Last washer I had it was a big loving threaded cover with a tiny reservoir in which you could fit the nozzle of a wet vac... took loving forever of cracking the cover, sucking up all the water as it trickled out, and closing it when my tiny 1/2 gallon wet vac had to be emptied.

In my current washer, it comes with a long hose that you can drain in to a tub or something. Much nicer, but after the above debacle I now have a much larger wet vac... and I also learned not to run baby socks without a mesh bag because they will definitely sneak past the tub and clog the pump!

As the other poster mentioned, there SHOULD be a way to manually trigger a drain cycle. Usually you can run it directly or via the "spin only" cycle.

It might be caught in some stupidity where it won't start any cycle because it detects water in the tub. If you can't get it to do a spin/drain cycle, then I would drain it manually and try again.

I know what you mean, the manual shows there should be a little access hatch, and youtube videos show the same hatch. I got no hatch! My basement floor drain is like 3 feet away from the washer so draining it with a hose would be no problem. I gave up troubleshooting because it was 11 pm and I had to get up at 4 for work, where I am now poo poo-posting and agonizing over what the bill will be.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Canadian Bakin posted:

Two years into home ownership and having to face the reality that yes, our yard is in fact infested with creeping bellflower(on the noxious invasive species list for Alberta), lily of the valley is following quickly on the heels of the bellflower, and there's some species of daisy trying to take over the front lawn. Now I'm sitting here trying to find a weedkiller that the bellflower isn't resistant to and reading up on how to get rid of all this poo poo.

I just want to enjoy my hostas and my fish pond, man. :(

Sorry I have nothing actually useful to contribute. I just needed to vent about this for a moment.

As someone who has done battle with creeping charlie in the past, which is similarly difficult, just give up and accept it. At my first house I sprayed the whole yard and killed everything, laid down cardboard, then tilled and reseeded. It didnt make a bit of difference, stuff just comes in from your neighboring lots.

Now that Im older and wiser and care more about bees and pollinators and the like I just let it go. Plant clover on bare spots in my yard, and live with the dandelions and whatever other weeds come up.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Poldarn posted:

I know what you mean, the manual shows there should be a little access hatch, and youtube videos show the same hatch. I got no hatch! My basement floor drain is like 3 feet away from the washer so draining it with a hose would be no problem. I gave up troubleshooting because it was 11 pm and I had to get up at 4 for work, where I am now poo poo-posting and agonizing over what the bill will be.

There might be a key combination/sequence to reboot the washer. If mine gets interrupted mid cycle, I have to push the start button for like 5 seconds, off, 3 seconds, and then it automatically starts to drain. I found it on YouTube, it wasn't in the manual.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Two years into home ownership and about to deal with my first big headache. A small portion dry wall/baseboard by our guest shower is soft enough to poke through so now I need to figure out if the leak is coming from the shower itself or the pipes in wall. Is my best case to have a plumber take a look to confirm if it's the pipes causing the issue before looping in my home owner's insurance? I figure if it's only the shower needing to be re-grouted/sealed and the dry wall replaced that is easy/cheap enough to handle with a contractor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cosmic gumbo posted:

Two years into home ownership and about to deal with my first big headache. A small portion dry wall/baseboard by our guest shower is soft enough to poke through so now I need to figure out if the leak is coming from the shower itself or the pipes in wall. Is my best case to have a plumber take a look to confirm if it's the pipes causing the issue before looping in my home owner's insurance? I figure if it's only the shower needing to be re-grouted/sealed and the dry wall replaced that is easy/cheap enough to handle with a contractor.

As someone who has been dealing with leaks since we bought the place I’d call the insurance and start a claim. You can always close it later and they also might not cover it.

Our insurance wants the piece of pipe the plumber removed because if it’s an age related failure they don’t cover that. They want to send the pipe off to see why it failed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm so proud of myself. We inherited a dryer that has a lint trap filter that sits right at the front of the dryer, and is inserted vertically. The edges stick up and when the drum of the dryer turns around, clothes get stuck on the edges and twist around. It's destroyed most of my pants with drawstrings, and we bought a new lint trap and it didn't loving help.

Yesterday I googled the issue and found someone saying he shaved off bits of the lint trap and it now fits. I unscrewed the whole assembly, found a bunch of lint stuck in the dryer and removed it, and saw that the trap doesn't get inserted fully because it hits the 'guides' it's supposed to be going past. I shaved the guides off completely and now it fits flush. I've got a big history of 'let me take it apart to see if I can fix it... oh I can't' so it's nice that I actually solved and fixed something finally.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cosmic gumbo posted:

Find out first. Take photos before opening anything.

Most homeowner's policies have exclusions for 'ongoing seepage from within a plumbing system, shower, tub' etc.

If it's leaking through the tile grout or caulk seams, it'll probably be denied.

If it's a roof leak, or an actual plumbing leak (from a pipe or valve) that is causing it, it should be covered.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Gonna de-lurk to talk about my own leaky tale of woe. I hope someone learns something from this because I'm not sure I have.

One day in late January I noticed water on the floorboards near the kitchen sink. Now my son is a tween who is perpetually carrying open glasses of water around the house (don't ask) so this wasn't cause for alarm immediately. Then the dishwasher stopped working and since it had already had it's pump replaced before, I decided to replace it with a new Midea dishwasher.

When the installers removed the old dishwasher to install the new one the damage was obvious; old dishwasher had leaked dirty water under the kitchen bar, which had absorbed everything. Black mold everywhere. Water under the less than a year old floorboards. We immediately got mitigation/demolition guys out who then accidentally shattered the countertop while removing it. All-told the repair & rebuild came to $30k, paid for by homeowner's insurance.

And now, four months later I finally have a kitchen again this week! Only...

That new Midea dishwasher that sat in my garage waiting for a kitchen for four months leaks loving everywhere because of a manufacturer's defect. And Midea told me "not under warranty" without even looking at it. FML.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

On the bright side a new dishwasher is a lot less expensive and a lot less hassle than what you just went through

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

It turns out the washer pump was plugged from random crap from people's pockets over the years, not the cat hair monster I was expecting. Pump and motor didn't burn out so not the worst repair bill. One of the water line hoses has a very slow leak, but that's easy to replace on my own tomorrow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do automatic lawn watering systems work. Is there just a 120v brain, and then it selectively triggers... 24v AC(??) relay/solenoids at localized valves?

When I manually turn on program a/b/c one half of my lawn gets watered, the other does not. There's a couple of sketchy twisted together ground wires

This side works

This side 40' away does not. Three cables go into the wall, two come out the other side, one is coax, the other is a local ground (?) for the coax screws into a coax splitter case anyways

If I go buy some appropriate wire and unfuck the three ground wires on this side of the house, and reattach the positive lead to the sprinkler brain, it should all start working again?

We didn't buy a flipper house but it's obvious they "adjusted" some things to visually improve the house including painting it, stripping out sprinkler wires in the winter sounds about right

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

How do automatic lawn watering systems work. Is there just a 120v brain, and then it selectively triggers... 24v AC(??) relay/solenoids at localized valves?

That's pretty much it, yes. It's also common for solenoids to get stuck, valves to get clogged, etc.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006

Hadlock posted:

When I manually turn on program a/b/c one half of my lawn gets watered, the other does not. There's a couple of sketchy twisted together ground wires

This side works

This side 40' away does not. Three cables go into the wall, two come out the other side, one is coax, the other is a local ground (?) for the coax screws into a coax splitter case anyways

If I go buy some appropriate wire and unfuck the three ground wires on this side of the house, and reattach the positive lead to the sprinkler brain, it should all start working again?

We didn't buy a flipper house but it's obvious they "adjusted" some things to visually improve the house including painting it, stripping out sprinkler wires in the winter sounds about right

It looks like the 3 solenoids on the side that isn't working are wired to a different controller or they removed the control wire altogether. The picture of the controller shows just the one wire coming in with just zone 2 (the green wire) connected. "Buying appropriate wire and reattaching the lead to the brain" would mean running that wire 40' from those 3 solenoids to connect 2 wires per solenoid to the controller. If you trace the existing wire from those 3 solenoids does it go into the house or does it go "towards" the controller? (It's probably buried so it would be hard to tell.) It might have been cut coming out of the ground below the controller (next to the valve that is still wired up.)

If you manually turn those 3 solenoids on, do they run and operate the irrigation area you are targeting? You might want to start with that to see if water is still connected/if there are major leaks downstream from the solenoid/etc. There are any number of reasons they might have intentionally disabled this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So pool ownership update

3" tablets cost $5.25/ea when bought in the 14 tablet ("7 lb") bucket
3" tablets cost $2.50/ea when bought in 70 tablet ("35 lbs") bucket

Leslie's charges $10.50/gal for 10% liquid chlorine
Local garden supply store charges $5.00/gal for liquid chlorine of the exact same brand 10%

Looks like I'm using about $15/wk in chlorine with average daytime temp in the low 70s

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheWevel posted:

We closed ours off with a large, cut-up garbage bag and tape. Ours was also gas and our daughter kept trying to eat the decorative rocks.

Have you checked to see if your daughter is a bird and was just trying to get some stones in her gizzard to aid in digestion?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pool chat: Our pump stopped working, no power at all. Call the people, they come over, fix it all up, said they had to replace the whole motor and assembly as it shorted out. Why did it short out?

"Do you really wanna know?"

Yes, yes I do.

Apparently multiple frogs and lizards had climbed in, died, and became mummified and shorted it out when it clicked on one day.

Thankfully it was covered by warranty

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey home owners,

the MARINE THREAD is ending its deployment to BFC at the end of the month:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908783

please drop by and tell them about life living outside of barracks before they go!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lots of people only have threads bookmarked, but this thread lives in BFC. GiP has a gimmick going with the Marine thread travelling across subforums and it is about to depart BFC. I was drawing attention to that so that Goons Can Have Fun.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That moment when your 70 year old neighbor casually reminds you they bought the house next to yours for $58,000

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've averaged 215 gallons of water used per day since we've moved in 1.5 years ago (seems like a lot but :shrug:). The water district informed me that my latest reading indicated an average of over 1,000 gpd over the last 2 months...

Shutting off the 1/4 turn ball valve at the house doesn't stop the meter from spinning and there aren't any big wet spots in my yard anywhere. The meter is at the street on the other side of our driveway. Stay tuned for photos of what will presumably be my ripped up driveway. At least the water district will reimburse me for half of the extra water I used this billing period if we show proof of prompt maintenance. Although half off of a $500 water bill doesn't really take the sting out of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pmchem posted:

lots of people only have threads bookmarked, but this thread lives in BFC. GiP has a gimmick going with the Marine thread travelling across subforums and it is about to depart BFC. I was drawing attention to that so that Goons Can Have Fun.

The more you explain it the more it sounds like a weird sex thing

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any of these kinds of things do the trick? https://www.homedepot.com/b/Non-Slip-Tread-Tape/N-5yc1vZ1z0t5me

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 31, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They work, but the grip tends to be pretty aggressive and the adhesive tends to gently caress up whatever's under it if you peel it off later.

So they're great for an outdoor step where you can assume people are going to be wearing shoes and where you don't care if a bunch of goo is left on there when they come up. Less ideal for your indoor stairs where you're going to be walking around in bare feet and give a poo poo about the wood.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

They work, but the grip tends to be pretty aggressive and the adhesive tends to gently caress up whatever's under it if you peel it off later.

So they're great for an outdoor step where you can assume people are going to be wearing shoes and where you don't care if a bunch of goo is left on there when they come up. Less ideal for your indoor stairs where you're going to be walking around in bare feet and give a poo poo about the wood.

That style is also nearly impossible to keep clean of pet fur, if that is something you have to worry about. It actively resists being vacuumed up. We got the HOMEER brand carpeted tread recently, and they have been pretty great so far. No sliding around and much easier to keep clean.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My mom lives in Michigan and is getting old, fell and broke her arm on some icy outdoor stairs so I insisted on buying and installing those.

I think they tore up a few years later so I nag her to fix them. (I live 800 miles away)

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

spf3million posted:

I've averaged 215 gallons of water used per day since we've moved in 1.5 years ago (seems like a lot but :shrug:). The water district informed me that my latest reading indicated an average of over 1,000 gpd over the last 2 months...

Shutting off the 1/4 turn ball valve at the house doesn't stop the meter from spinning and there aren't any big wet spots in my yard anywhere. The meter is at the street on the other side of our driveway. Stay tuned for photos of what will presumably be my ripped up driveway. At least the water district will reimburse me for half of the extra water I used this billing period if we show proof of prompt maintenance. Although half off of a $500 water bill doesn't really take the sting out of it.

I did not realize this was the campfire and we were sharing horror stories.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If 215 gallons a day is a plausible normal for you I really don't want to know how much laundry you have to do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

If 215 gallons a day is a plausible normal for you I really don't want to know how much laundry you have to do.

Yeah, this sounds like something has been leaking steadily for a while and just let loose even more. Or perhaps it's two different things - something as simple as a toilet that runs regularly because of a leaking flapper can consume an enormous amount of water.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

I take one 24 hour long shower per day :colbert:

E: I looked up my daily usage and I should not be talking poo poo. But my bill hasn't been over a $100 yet

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 31, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I should leak check my toilets huh…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My family uses about 190 gallons a day on average for the 4 of us not counting any irrigation use. This is for a 5 year old house with low flow/high efficiency everything. My kids could probably cut back on their shower time a bit, but I'm just happy they shower sometimes. I've got a teen and preteen right now so IFYKYK. 215 doesn't seem too out of the norm for a family of 4 or 5.