Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

Bungie had just been purchased by Sony at that point. Now they are a marquee studio under Sony's umbrella.

TFS teaser got the penultimate spot in the showcase. They put it right before Spider-man 2. There was no "rabbit out of a hat" here. Sony wanted Bungie to run a big, explosive teaser for their main marketing event, and gave them a lot of time to do it.

There is no way they made this trailer, with this quality of production, with Nathan Fillion, in under 3 months.

Bro it was 1:00 minute long come on dude. It wasn't "big" or "explosive" either cuz nobody cares other than us Destiny fans. They could've just had Marathon and been fine. Everybody was here for Spider-Man 2, not more Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Sony also bought Bungie for the Destiny IP. I doubt the game will be sunset because there are already movie/tv plans for the universe. Sony Pictures is realizing their other IPs aren't doing great (not counting Spider-Man) and really want to make the video game ones work. If they can keep the quality high like the Last of Us it will happen

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Xivu Arath’s voice is disappointing, but nowhere near as bad as Rasputin’s.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

CubanMissile posted:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

CubanMissile posted:

I honestly just wanted an angry exo screaming in Russian at me all season, instead I got a soft pleasant sounding voice :( I mean, he was fine, but it lost something in translation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rasputin's voice being Clovis, but not a jerk, was nice. I thought it fit the story, especially with him being contextualized as having Felwinter's personality inside of him.

Having said that, I understand the desire for Angry Russian Old Man voice too.

I thought Xivu Arath's first line was pretty darn good, but when she wasn't MAX YELLING, I didn't feel it as much.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MJeff posted:

From the people that brought you "I definitely know how game engines work" and "I definitely know how game servers work", here comes another hit, "I definitely know how long it takes to make a trailer."

lmao

I know many of you have played games that I'm in the credits for.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 24, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the info but that's also weird as hell because I could swear Bungie said that Final Shape was just the end of one Destiny story and implied that it's going to keep going for a long time? I wonder how many people will just check out if they actually commit to a proper "end" and there's no investment for players any more since it sounds like they'll be wiping the slate entirely clean again? I thought there were more expansions coming after TFS, or at least one more? Might have imagined it, though.

People keep saying things like "Bungie said no Destiny 3" which is a complete misrepresentation of what they actually said, which is "no Destiny 3 any time soon" which is also something they stopped saying around when it became time to promote The Witch Queen. It's very apparent based on the current state of the game that they cannot keep up this method of production forever, and I agree with GGGC that a lot of the game's recent changes seem to point towards them getting ready to consider Destiny 2 a legacy product. They've also been very careful about their language with The Final Shape being "the end of the Light and Darkness saga" but not the end of Destiny, but they have never actually said it's not the end of Destiny 2 specifically.

There's also the argument of "Sony wouldn't buy Bungie to have them shut down D2" and it's like - Sony? The people who just released a full-on remake of The Last of Us that barely looks any better? You sure they wouldn't jump at the chance for a new SKU to sell?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 25, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RocketRaygun posted:

lmao

I know many of you have played games that I'm in the credits for.

No posting from jail, Yuji Naka. :mad:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
More MarathonPosting but this is a great read

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/Article/slrecap

Real brief mention that TFS is the future of Destiny 2 but they got way more in depth on Marathon than I would expect at this point.

Chris Barrett & Scott Taylor (whose absence from the D2 team has been sorely felt) had a LOT to say

- You don't need to know anything about Marathon to understand the game, but you might catch references or deep cuts if you do

- Committed to telling the story both in and outside of the game

- Creating moments of tension, strategic choices, and weapons that feel amazing

- Dedicated servers, as they feel this is necessary for a PvP-first game to be "fair and fun"

I won't abbreviate this bit because I think this is interesting as a whole

‘Extraction shooter’ brings to mind players dying, losing their stuff, tedious gear management, a huge time investment to get back what was lost, and so on. How is the team approaching these kinds of issues with Marathon?

""CB: This is something we think about on a regular basis. We want the game to have a sense of danger and tension, we want to it to be thrilling, and to always have the sense that “this run is going to be unforgettable.” At the same time, it’s true that the traditional extraction genre tropes can be frustrating, especially for new players.

One of the ways we’re addressing this is by making the core fantasies of survival and extraction fun, clear, and easy to understand. We want people to quickly understand fundamentals like healing, or oxygen, or how to organize their gear. After all, if they get those things intuitively there’s much more room for tactical thinking and creativity. You know, it’s our job to create the fun and the fantasy, not the busy work and tedium. [GGGC's note - what parallel universe is THIS Bungie from!!]

The second thing is – and I can’t talk too much about this right now – is that there are so many ways to win in Marathon, and only some of them require getting out alive. In essence, we think there’s an opportunity for players to still have fun, to be fulfilled and rewarded even if they don’t make it to an exfil.""

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I can't wait to never play a loving extraction game. Jfc, lol that they pulled all their talent to that.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- Dedicated servers, as they feel this is necessary for a PvP-first game to be "fair and fun"

If you paid me to come up with something to piss of the Destiny PvP mains I don't think I could write anything that cutting.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

There is a very detailed ARG ongoing now for Marathon.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Marathon extraction shooter sounds like a fine game I'll never play!

I really don't expect D2 to be no longer maintained or "suspended" or whatever term people use after TFS. From everything that's happened I expect they'll use it to cut away and tidy up the mess it's become a bit, especially with lore and whatnot. Essentially I don't expect a full soft reboot, but I definitely expect a bit of it to sort out messes.

The game itself has a shitload of players, content and gameplay. They aren't going to make D3 or whatever when they could instead compartmentalize a bit, go "alright that's done" and start fresh narratively without restrictions, while keeping all the poo poo they've got already.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

There is a very detailed ARG ongoing now for Marathon.

Anything to do with bees?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Anything to do with bees?

no, this time it's caterpillars

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

sunday at work posted:

If you paid me to come up with something to piss of the Destiny PvP mains I don't think I could write anything that cutting.

it’s literally impossible to not piss off Destiny PvP mains, they’re the whiniest people on earth

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm definitely gonna start saying "Go play Marathon" to all the PvPers that have been bitching about this game every day for four years but still play it every day.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I know it's a hard day to be a PvE Only Bungie fan but this ain't a good look, posters

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lol bungie broke clans and disabled them completely

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it’s fine to play Destiny PvP (I do!) and it’s even fine for it to be your main activity but given you’re playing against humans atop a shifting meta it will always be fresh and unpredictable in a way PvE cannot, and a failure to either accept that or move on is the sign of a truly diseased mind

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
look just because you can't empathize with people who want the game we've all spent 6000 hours playing to be more than just a way to anesthetize your brain for an evening doesn't mean you should post mean things on somethingawful.com

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PathAsc posted:

Lol bungie broke clans and disabled them completely

They're back up, but what even IS clan functionality? Seeing who's online??

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

if you want to play a PvP game with Bungie gunfeel and dedicated servers good news—they’re making it!

if you want to farm k/d against people with jobs so you can make YouTube videos titled “I’m loving done.” with a thumbnail of your straight-faced head on the generic Hunter armor’s body when the next season is announced to be PvE-focused I don’t know what to tell ya, that’s weird behavior

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

if you want to play a PvP game with Bungie gunfeel and dedicated servers good news—they’re making it!

if you want to farm k/d against people with jobs so you can make YouTube videos titled “I’m loving done.” with a thumbnail of your straight-faced head on the generic Hunter armor’s body when the next season is announced to be PvE-focused I don’t know what to tell ya, that’s weird behavior

sorry pretzel i wasn't replying to you i was replying to the people further up the thread. your statement was correct

I think most PVP players who aren't youtubers just want the first thing. That's what I want. I don't care about pubstomping or whether matchmaking puts cans in my games so i can dunk on them. I just want a fun and challenging destiny pvp that is frequently updated with new content. Yes maybe PVP players should have just moved on to a different game ages ago but the idea of a game that has everything in it is exciting. Bungie has clearly realized they are two different markets and has decided to treat them as such

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Marathon ARG solved. It leads to a youtube stream that's been up since the review, and will release the Vidoc for it when there are 7777 viewers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcXob5iu-0

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're back up, but what even IS clan functionality? Seeing who's online??

Guess I need to relog then because I can't see poo poo

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

where the gently caress are the enemies in this Salvage activity bungie cmon, there are SIX players involved and I need to do my bounties

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

dodgeblan posted:

I just want a fun and challenging destiny pvp that is frequently updated with new content. Yes maybe PVP players should have just moved on to a different game ages ago but the idea of a game that has everything in it is exciting. Bungie has clearly realized they are two different markets and has decided to treat them as such

Yeah, agreed. And I want this for people who genuinely enjoy PvP foremost too!! I’m sure there will be cross-promotion to get them to try the other game out and I hope they love it.

I’m fine with a casual experience because while my k/ad is positive (my k/d is not lol) and I’ve occasionally pulled off monster plays across all PvP game modes, that’s mostly dumb luck due to a lack of interest in positioning or of really trying hard; I tend not to enjoy solo queue because I need buddies to play off, so if none of my guys want to run Trials or IB I’m perfectly all right with hitting my (comparatively low) personal goals and leaving.

I don’t think Destiny ever would or could be for the more hardcore PvPers, so a place for them to go is fantastic.

(I just think some of them make talking about this game I love impossible, especially when they set the tenor of discussion and it’s all “DAE Bungie Hitler????” stuff)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clan functionality is:

-a second backup friends list that theoretically has more Destiny players in it

-one (1) triumph per dungeon/raid seal

-a pinnacle and a couple of powerfuls a week

-tiny worthless tweaks to reward tables

-a clumsy sex joke under your name when you kill someone in pvp

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah, agreed. And I want this for people who genuinely enjoy PvP foremost too!! I’m sure there will be cross-promotion to get them to try the other game out and I hope they love it.

I’m fine with a casual experience because while my k/ad is positive (my k/d is not lol) and I’ve occasionally pulled off monster plays across all PvP game modes, that’s mostly dumb luck due to a lack of interest in positioning or of really trying hard; I tend not to enjoy solo queue because I need buddies to play off, so if none of my guys want to run Trials or IB I’m perfectly all right with hitting my (comparatively low) personal goals and leaving.

I don’t think Destiny ever would or could be for the more hardcore PvPers, so a place for them to go is fantastic.

(I just think some of them make talking about this game I love impossible, especially when they set the tenor of discussion and it’s all “DAE Bungie Hitler????” stuff)

they tried to make d2 vanilla for hardcore PVPers but they also decided to move all the fun guns to heavy so it was a REAL MIXED BAG

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

frajaq posted:

where the gently caress are the enemies in this Salvage activity bungie cmon, there are SIX players involved and I need to do my bounties

On the upper area of the Rig arena, there is a spot enemies get stuck in. There were like 30 in one tiny room that i threw a grenade at and they all died.

Something is wrong with the navmesh in that area.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

it’s fine to play Destiny PvP (I do!) and it’s even fine for it to be your main activity but given you’re playing against humans atop a shifting meta it will always be fresh and unpredictable in a way PvE cannot, and a failure to either accept that or move on is the sign of a truly diseased mind

Is the person you're screaming at, in the room with us, right now? Do they ever tell you to do things?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is the person you're screaming at, in the room with us, right now? Do they ever tell you to do things?

you may not know what I mean but rest assured many people do. it’s fine

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Oh god i just realized what if Marathon is their attempt to realize their vision for D2 vanilla's PVP

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Bungie really needs to hit it out of the park with Marathon, because it's very hard to shake the stigma of being a latecomer to the "pvp subgenre flavor of the month" bandwagon.

Also, why is everyone convinced that Bungie has been frantically rewriting their storylines since Lance Reddick passed away? It would be extremely difficult to get used to a new voice actor in the role, but it seems impossible for them to have an unplanned removal of the central character of the setting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Marathon first appeared on the Incubation board in at the very end of 2018. It & the Unannounced Title were competing for 'Next Bungie IP' until early 2021 when Marathon won the honor.

If it really has been in the works since 2018 then I guess we have our answer for "why are they putting out an Extraction Shooter in TYOOL 2024!" That's been an eventful 5 years and I have to imagine every major development at the Studio would've put their future plans on hold for at least a while.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

ponzicar posted:

Bungie really needs to hit it out of the park with Marathon, because it's very hard to shake the stigma of being a latecomer to the "pvp subgenre flavor of the month" bandwagon.

I don't think there's been a serious AAA attempt at an extraction shooter yet? Some successful ones in Hunt showdown and Tarkov, but everything else has been a bolt-on mode like Battlefield V and CODs modes hasn't it? If built from the ground up on dedi servers and fully integrated I think it'd be great.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I hope me and my team can play as a bunch of F'lickta where our objective is to wander aimlessly around sewers, eat sewer sludge, and throw uneaten sewer sludge at wandering players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Marathon Vidoc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrv0dpztryY

Premiers in like 2 minutes