Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was really excited for Disco season 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Remember that very first promo for Disco that looked like it was rendered on a PS3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The next Star Trek I was most excited about was Picard ._.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Same :negative:

Lower Decks was the show I was least excited for and Prodigy wasn't even on my radar when I was like "Well, it's Thursday, let's check out some Star Trek." SNW I was kind of hyped for purely because they advertised the hell out of it before it premiered.

Nothing about Discovery has ever interested me on any level.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If I can be honest, I had checked out on Discovery the second I learned "Secret human Spock Sister" was a thing. I didn't want to invest in a show where that was an important character point, even if in the end it eventually became irrelevant. I just didn't have faith in the decision making if that was a choice that was made from day 1.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Haha I remember not being that stoked because I assumed it would be like the half-rear end effort in Season 3 of just jamming old characters together with no regard for their characters or history. Ironically that's the exact horseshit S3 likers cling on to so the show was always doomed for me if that's the level of fanservice people will go goatse for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If I can be honest, I had checked out on Discovery the second I learned "Secret human Spock Sister" was a thing. I didn't want to invest in a show where that was an important character point, even if in the end it eventually became irrelevant. I just didn't have faith in the decision making if that was a choice that was made from day 1.

my mom asked yesterday why i wasn't watching the new star trek series and i explained how they'd added yet another sibling of spock's and she got it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

My friend and I are doing an ongoing watch party of Modern Trek, and after making it through Picard (Season 3 only), Prodigy, Strange New Worlds, and Season 1 of Lower Decks so far we've resolved that if we run out of content then Discovery is going to be our suicide pact watch so we can experience it together for the first time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tuvok better than Spock AND they don't constantly tarnish his character

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't feel excitement for star trek anymore

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Spock has 2 shows of learning to be human and Kirk swoops on to take credit for teaching him despite needing to learn to be human himself

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I can't feel excitement for star trek anymore

Consult a doctor about that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Doctor said that was healthy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sash! posted:

Doctor said that was healthy

Did the doctor have 3 arms?

You may have misunderstood.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I finally finished my TNG rewatch, took a two year break in the middle of season 5 for some reason. Such a nice show, All Good Things is such a wonderful ending I'm fine with just completely ignoring everything that comes after.
I originally caught random episodes here and there when I happened to be watching TV so I was surprised that a good 95% of the episodes I had seen at least part of. DS9 wasn't on at an accessable time so I think I've only seen a handful of full episodes, so going through it will be mostly new.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I did and now I'm on an anti depressant and still nothing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

The most I've ever been excited for an Star Trek is Generations ._.

But Generations is great?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

Yeah I also fell for that

Anyone that grew up with TNG as their first Star Trek got fooled

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'm a few hours in and Resurgence is great. It totally gets the tone of Trek, and having objectives like "Evaluate these arguments" is just the perfect fit for the franchise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CainFortea posted:

Did the doctor have 3 arms?

You may have misunderstood.

Now I'm not sure that guy was a doctor at all

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A.o.D. posted:

You need faith...OF THE HEART

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Boxturret posted:

I finally finished my TNG rewatch, took a two year break in the middle of season 5 for some reason. Such a nice show, All Good Things is such a wonderful ending I'm fine with just completely ignoring everything that comes after.
I originally caught random episodes here and there when I happened to be watching TV so I was surprised that a good 95% of the episodes I had seen at least part of. DS9 wasn't on at an accessable time so I think I've only seen a handful of full episodes, so going through it will be mostly new.

man i'm always jealous of people going through DS9 for the first time. it's really a fantastic series

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I also fell for that

Anyone that grew up with TNG as their first Star Trek got fooled

I knew picard was gonna be poo poo when the promos were coming up showing this lovely version of the federation that was all "they are among us" about romulans and poo poo.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i admit i was psyched for picard. they even announced it on my birthday :smith: lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Everyone should have been suspicious the second they announced Stewart as an EP.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

You need faith...OF THE HEART

My dreams of heaven have Shran on the Enterprise.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
A month ago I bit the bullet and binged the first season of Disco. It was...intriguing, like someone with a lot of money got quality actors to do their terrible fan fiction. Burnham being Spock's sister is such an over-the-top fan fiction-y thing it kinda wrapped around to being funny. My love of Michelle Yeoh and Jason Issacs carried the season for me, but I noped out after a couple episodes of S2.

Live action Boimler and Mariner looks amazing, genuinely hyped.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A month ago I bit the bullet and binged the first season of Disco. It was...intriguing, like someone with a lot of money got quality actors to do their terrible fan fiction. Burnham being Spock's sister is such an over-the-top fan fiction-y thing it kinda wrapped around to being funny. My love of Michelle Yeoh and Jason Issacs carried the season for me, but I noped out after a couple episodes of S2.

it's a really shame that discovery's writing is just overall terrible. i remember thinking the production design was pretty good too, nothing stuck out as being very obviously low-budget. i mean, even if i didn't think the general direction was appropriate it was still kinda cool looking

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Inverse hair Sisko is such a weird thing to see...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I didn't mind, even enjoyed disco but I viewed it as something trek adjacent- like the different universe films- and it was very pretty to look at

But then I watched it after enterprise so my scale was probably hosed and when I come to it on my watch through it probably won't score all that great

unlike ds9, though I did have my first episode where I lost interest a bit- "distant voices" where bashir is trapped in his own head- his acting has improved since season 1 but the writing wouldn't have been saved by someone twice as good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It does feel like that, like someone who knows about TOS but doesn't know LOADS has tried to insert a load of stuff into it

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

nine-gear crow posted:

My friend and I are doing an ongoing watch party of Modern Trek, and after making it through Picard (Season 3 only), Prodigy, Strange New Worlds, and Season 1 of Lower Decks so far we've resolved that if we run out of content then Discovery is going to be our suicide pact watch so we can experience it together for the first time.

Discovery Season 2 is worth watching, if only as a prelude to SNW.

The Pike stuff is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7AI6mN7tck

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DesperateDan posted:

unlike ds9, though I did have my first episode where I lost interest a bit- "distant voices" where bashir is trapped in his own head- his acting has improved since season 1 but the writing wouldn't have been saved by someone twice as good

Oh yeah, that's definitely one of the weak ones. As I remember it, Bashir basically realizes what's going on like 10 minutes into the episode, and then the rest of it is just him wandering aimlessly around a set that we already know is a dream and just trying different things to get out of it. They screwed up the dramatic tension.

Fortunately you're really close to the one-two punch of "Improbable Cause" and "The Die Is Cast" which I remember being some of the best episodes of the series.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 25, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Only time they ever captured the feeling of playing an episode of the show.

Right down to sacrificing a no name character to advance the plot.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I was mildly excited for Disco when it was in development and Brian Fuller was involved, since I had just finished Hannibal. But even then I was cautious because he had mostly worked on Voy which was my least favorite Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He did get his start on DS9, though. In retrospect, The Darkness and the Light and Empok Nor are very Bryan Fuller.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am one of the few that actually likes Disco. Well, I like season 2. Season 1 is fun because you have Jason Issacs and Michelle Yeoh just trying to outham each other in the best way possible, but you also have two episodes with Rainn Wilson as Harvey Mudd including a great time loop episode. Season 2 is fun because Pike comes in almost as an audience surrogate to be like what the actual gently caress is this nonsense, and you actually get a decent retcon as to why we have never heard of Discovery or these characters before.

I didn't like the whole concept of The Burn and hated the cause of it even more (Super Sadness) and felt it was a wasted opportunity once we were stuck with it. Almost every episode that I like in Discovery outside of season 2 can be done without the season long arc. The episode where they eveacuate a planet, but they won't let them do the prison, and that whole story was great. You could have had any number of natural phenomena be the reason for evacuation, TNG did it all the time. It still would be a good epsiode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the alpha and omega of Picard's problems is that Stewart is on the other side of the Elderly Old Man divide. Like he's at the point where he's an old man, and watching TNG so much of his character was his presence and his voice and he just doesn't have it any more. He's got that old man voice, the broken voice. It was really driven home in s3 watching how vital all the other cast members are, they still sound like they did on TNG, but not Picard. I'm not saying he's not mentally there or anything, or he can't act, but he's just crossed that divide from middle age into elderly. Of course, this is all colored by growing up with Picard as like the exemplar of competence and command and trying to reconcile that with this diminished presences so maybe it wouldn't be a huge problem for anyone who didn't grow up with TNG as their first Trek show. But I think that's probably most of us.

And also I'm begging Star Trek to knock if off with the secret sons and daughters. Quit it! No reason for it!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Spock's secret son, Dark Admiral Hyper-David

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like they didn't even try for Picard, they're like "we kinda had a beverly/picard thing in the first season right" and so naturally they had a child who is now a 35 year old 20 year old man. I mean Borg, because everything's Borg now, I guess that assimilation stuff doesn't gently caress around.