Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

They let you watch the office in prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

OP said elsewhere "it blows my mind the simpsons is still on" and I immediately turned to dust upon realizing that the simpsons is outliving prison sentences

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

CannonFodder posted:

I learned about nutraloaf from a previous ex-con goon called Hiding For Goro, who did time in Leavenworth, the Federal Military pen because he was selling A LOT of party drugs while deployed in Hawaii. Nutraloaf is vile poo poo.

There was another ex-con goon who also did Federal time, but she was convicted of wire fraud and bank fraud for passing large bad checks in different states, hence the Federal charges. She only did like 16 months, but it was interesting to see what women's prison is like.

from what i know federal prisons are better than state prisons. less violence, less crowding, more money. and private prisons of either type are the worst. mine was not a private facility

Mr.Acula posted:

They let you watch the office in prison?

no, i've seen a few episodes since i've been out

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Alright let's get to the bottom of this:

Why are they called zoo-zoos. Give me a detailed explanation of how that term came to be.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

oh that's not my name for them. that came well before me. sorry i don't have a story for the name haha

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bolded sentence is just too something awful dialectic for me to believe this is real.

What, being aware that white people are in power? Not snark, I just don't see what you're seeing

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

harveys zoo zoos posted:

from what i know federal prisons are better than state prisons. less violence, less crowding, more money. and private prisons of either type are the worst. mine was not a private facility

no, i've seen a few episodes since i've been out
Leavenworth is probably the best because the prisoners are still technically military (they get dumped down to Enlisted 1) so they are still following orders and because they are military they were used to 4AM wake up time.

It's still prison and still sucks and there was nutraloaf given to people in seg / solitary and fights and gangs and poo poo.

Did you know any ex-military that ended up in prison with you?

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

yes, there were several ex-military that i got to know a little. most of them were in for drugs and a couple for assault. the guys i made friends with were gulf war vets and just wanted to do their time and get out. of course some afghanistan vets came through there too. i'm sure there were more i didn't know about. we had one old timer who was in vietnam and he';d tell us the most hosed up stories.

some of the co's were ex-military too and they were either very chill or very much not chill but not really in between. the first warden i had was a vietnam vet too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If we are recommending chefs on youtube i recommend https://www.youtube.com/@ChefJeanPierre. He makes a lot of simple to complex recipes but his videos are always worth a watch because he actually explains why he's doing the thing hes doing.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

One of the things that you have to remember about the internet is that while almost everyone uses it, the internet "culture" is overwhelming dictated by children and teenagers. You wont really find that here because today it's even more repulsive to pay $10 to join a message board than it was even 20 years ago, but lots of people back then (including myself) joined this website as teens and never really left.

It's like that for two big reasons:

#1 is that posting stuff or watching stuff on a lot of websites is completely free and kids don't have bank accounts to buy anything, so they seek out free entertainment.
#2 is that they have a ton of free time to waste on unimportant poo poo like sitting in a live stream of someone playing a video game and posting the same stupid jokes as the other 10 thousand people in the chat room.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

big cummers ONLY posted:

What, being aware that white people are in power? Not snark, I just don't see what you're seeing

The 'in a vacuum' part just a bit too internet culture for me to buy this at this very moment.

The Prison Mike office picture is suspect if he bought it himself..the prison guard names being like skinny jack or Loose Lips Lenny are a bit too much.

How many people are saying "wow you're the most well-rounded person who just got out of prison I've ever seen!!!"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The 'in a vacuum' part just a bit too internet culture for me to buy this at this very moment.

The Prison Mike office picture is suspect if he bought it himself..the prison guard names being like skinny jack or Loose Lips Lenny are a bit too much.

How many people are saying "wow you're the most well-rounded person who just got out of prison I've ever seen!!!"

ok

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

He didn't buy that AV for himself, some other poster said he did. I feel like it wouldn't be impossible to find an article about his sentencing if you really wanted to.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Some people are going to think that you're a "gimmick account." Which refers to someone who joins the forum just to play a character for their own amusement. One of the most famous gimmicks here is a guy that would only reply to threads with images from video games. Another made up an increasingly bizzare story about his wife wanting to gently caress him in the rear end with a dildo https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1736969

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cael posted:

OP said elsewhere "it blows my mind the simpsons is still on" and I immediately turned to dust upon realizing that the simpsons is outliving prison sentences

Watching The Simpsons is a prison sentence.

What is solitary like? Is it really a dark box with no light that you don't come out of?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I assume you're in the US? Nowadays society at large assumes everyone has a phone on them and is available to be contacted at all times, has a decent internet connection, and at this point also assumes that everyone has access to the internet at all times via their smartphone. For example, a lot of restaurants no longer post their hours on their storefront, instead they post a QR code that smartphones can scan to go to a website where the hours are posted. That's a particularly annoying example.

Most companies no longer take applications in person or over the phone. Only online. If you don't want most jobs to be inaccessible to you by default then you need to know how to make a resume on your computer using a word processor and submit it via the internet. Also a lot of companies use software that automatically filters out resumes that don't have certain keywords, so you have to know how to construct your resume to get past those. Generally speaking, you'll want to look at the requirements they list in the job posting and make sure your resume has key words from those requirements. For example, if the position has "customer service experience" as a requirement then there's a good chance that if you submit an application for that position and your resume does not have the phrase "customer service" then no human will ever see it. There are guides online for how to do these things, and also resume templates so you don't have to know all the advanced word processor strategies to make a nice looking resume.

Some video games, even if they are available to be purchased and played on the PC, are best played with a controller. Generally speaking, if the game is first person (you see the game through the eyes of the character you are controlling, like in the game DOOM) it's probably better to use a keyboard and mouse, and otherwise it's probably better to use a controller. I'd recommend getting some type of Xbox controller because Microsoft, the company that makes Windows, also makes those, so Windows compatibility is built in. I use an Xbox One controller. Of course, the vast majority of games available for the computer are designed to be playable with the keyboard and mouse, so if you can't or won't get/use a controller then that is fine. If I had to pick one game for someone to play, I would recommend the game Portal, by Valve. (That one is better with a keyboard and mouse.)

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 25, 2023

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Lister posted:

Some people are going to think that you're a "gimmick account." Which refers to someone who joins the forum just to play a character for their own amusement. One of the most famous gimmicks here is a guy that would only reply to threads with images from video games. Another made up an increasingly bizzare story about his wife wanting to gently caress him in the rear end with a dildo https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1736969

ok, i wondered what was meant by that. i mean i understand the words but i didn't know the something awful history or relevance

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

i don;t like arguing but the avatar was bought by someone, and as for the names well we had nicknames for everybody and everything. in there sometimes all you had going for you was your nickname and your rep. a lot like here i imagine now that i think about it

the other things i can't speak to, sorry

harveys zoo zoos fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 25, 2023

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Ariong posted:

I assume you're in the US? Nowadays society at large assumes everyone has a phone on them and is available to be contacted at all times, has a decent internet connection, and at this point also assumes that everyone has access to the internet at all times via their smartphone. For example, a lot of restaurants no longer post their hours on their storefront, instead they post a QR code that smartphones can scan to go to a website where the hours are posted. That's a particularly annoying example.

Most companies no longer take applications in person or over the phone. Only online. If you don't want most jobs to be inaccessible to you by default then you need to know how to make a resume on your computer using a word processor and submit it via the internet. Also a lot of companies use software that automatically filters out resumes that don't have certain keywords, so you have to know how to construct your resume to get past those. Generally speaking, you'll want to look at the requirements they list in the job posting and make sure your resume has key words from those requirements. For example, if the position has "customer service experience" as a requirement then there's a good chance that if you submit an application for that position and your resume does not have the phrase "customer service" then no human will ever see it. There are guides online for how to do these things, and also resume templates so you don't have to know all the advanced word processor strategies to make a nice looking resume.

Some video games, even if they are available to be purchased and played on the PC, are best played with a controller. Generally speaking, if the game is first person (you see the game through the eyes of the character you are controlling, like in the game DOOM) it's probably better to use a keyboard and mouse, and otherwise it's probably better to use a controller. I'd recommend getting some type of Xbox controller because Microsoft, the company that makes Windows, also makes those, so Windows compatibility is built in. I use an Xbox One controller. Of course, the vast majority of games available for the computer are designed to be playable with the keyboard and mouse, so if you can't or won't get/use a controller then that is fine. If I had to pick one game for someone to play, I would recommend the game Portal, by Valve. (That one is better with a keyboard and mouse.)

yes i'm in the US

and thank you, this is the kind of thing my cousin said i'd probably find here. knowledgeable people who can tell me stuff in a conversational tone. some of the things you said my po has said, like about doing most things online. but other stuff like the qr code i'd have no idea otherwise. i quickly learned how vital smartphones are nowadays. i don't have many apps on mine right now though.

prior to release we'd get advisement or even short classes on this stuff but to me it just felt so foreign. and we were able to do research on the computers and our internet, like for our cases and stuff but that time was limited. some of the younger guys were really sharp on this stuff too but for me if i wasn't using it every day it just wouldn't click

harveys zoo zoos fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 25, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Didn't we come up with the SAclopedia 20 years ago to answer these questions and more?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
if you asked me to read a dusty tome of ancient goon in-jokes after getting out of prison, I'd see about figuring out how to go back

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
no you see its funny because it explains *all* the jokes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

M_Gargantua posted:

Didn't we come up with the SAclopedia 20 years ago to answer these questions and more?

SAclopedia is embarrassing and should probably just be deleted. No one needs to learn about edgy jokes from 2005.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

The iNaturalist app is neat. You go around and take pictures of critters where you are. You can look at a map and see what other people have seen. It gives you something to do if you're out walking around.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

SAclopedia is embarrassing and should probably just be deleted. No one needs to learn about edgy jokes from 2005.

We can't get rid of the SAclopedia. How else will future generations know what the situation was?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

harveys zoo zoos posted:

yes i'm in the US

and thank you, this is the kind of thing my cousin said i'd probably find here. knowledgeable people who can tell me stuff in a conversational tone. some of the things you said my po has said, like about doing most things online. but other stuff like the qr code i'd have no idea otherwise. i quickly learned how vital smartphones are nowadays. i don't have many apps on mine right now though.

Well to clarify that point, if you see a QR code and you want to scan it then just open your camera app and point your phone's camera at the code. If the phone is decent then it should automatically recognize the code and provide a link to the corresponding website. Here, try scanning this one. However do be careful not to scan every random QR code you see, any jerk can print one out and tape it up somewhere to direct people to their scam website.

Oh! That's a good point. The most common online threat is phishing. This is basically when someone sends you an email, text message, direct message on social media, or whatever else and they pretend to be someone they are not in order to scam you. They may ask you to provide them with your credit card information or social security number or something. They may send you a malicious link which, if you click it, will take you to a malicious website that automatically downloads malicious software (malware) onto your computer. The link may also go to a fake website that looks real to trick you into entering sensitive data into it like your password, your credit card information, and so on. They will say anything to get you to fall for it, and it can get very specific and targeted. In your case, you might get an email from someone claiming to be your parole officer, with the right name and a similar email address, telling you that YOUR FREEDOM IS IN DANGER AND YOUR PAROLE WILL BE REVOKED UNLESS YOU CLICK THIS LINK AND DO THE THING RIGHT NOW HURRY HURRY HURRY! This happens to millions upon millions of people every year. It's hosed up, but simply knowing about it and knowing to keep an eye out for it is the best defense, and now you know. :)

If you get an email with a link, check the sender's address to make sure they have the actual email address of that person. Same goes for the phone number if you get a call or text. If you get an email from someone and you aren't sure whether it is legitimate, try giving them a phone call, but make sure to look up their contact information yourself rather than using a number provided in the email you are trying to verify. No legitimate business will ever send you an unsolicited email asking for your personal information. No legitimate organization will ever ask you to email them your password. No legitimate organization will ever ask you to pay for something or settle a debt using gift cards.

Here are some examples. This website is for a company that sells tech support stuff so please ignore the sales pitch at the end, but the examples are good.
https://www.aura.com/learn/phishing-email-examples#1.-Tech-support-phishing-email

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 25, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I bought the avatar and said so a few pages back fwiw

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Ariong posted:

Well to clarify that point, if you see a QR code and you want to scan it then just open your camera app and point your phone's camera at the code. If the phone is decent then it should automatically recognize the code and provide a link to the corresponding website. Here, try scanning this one. However do be careful not to scan every random QR code you see, any jerk can print one out and tape it up somewhere to direct people to their scam website.

Oh! That's a good point. The most common online threat is phishing. This is basically when someone sends you an email, text message, direct message on social media, or whatever else and they pretend to be someone they are not in order to scam you. They may ask you to provide them with your credit card information or social security number or something. They may send you a malicious link which, if you click it, will take you to a malicious website that automatically downloads malicious software (malware) onto your computer. The link may also go to a fake website that looks real to trick you into entering sensitive data into it like your password, your credit card information, and so on. They will say anything to get you to fall for it, and it can get very specific and targeted. In your case, you might get an email from someone claiming to be your parole officer, with the right name and a similar email address, telling you that YOUR FREEDOM IS IN DANGER AND YOUR PAROLE WILL BE REVOKED UNLESS YOU CLICK THIS LINK AND DO THE THING RIGHT NOW HURRY HURRY HURRY! This happens to millions upon millions of people every year. It's hosed up, but simply knowing about it and knowing to keep an eye out for it is the best defense, and now you know. :)

If you get an email with a link, check the sender's address to make sure they have the actual email address of that person. Same goes for the phone number if you get a call or text. If you get an email from someone and you aren't sure whether it is legitimate, try giving them a phone call, but make sure to look up their contact information yourself rather than using a number provided in the email you are trying to verify. No legitimate business will ever send you an unsolicited email asking for your personal information. No legitimate organization will ever ask you to email them your password. No legitimate organization will ever ask you to pay for something or settle a debt using gift cards.

Here are some examples. This website is for a company that sells tech support stuff so please ignore the sales pitch at the end, but the examples are good.
https://www.aura.com/learn/phishing-email-examples#1.-Tech-support-phishing-email

this is something else that i appreciate, thank you

i know that it happens because my mom was a victim a few years ago. after the email they somehow got her on the phone and convinced her to let them log in remotely. and then her bank account was empty. she got it back but it took time and it was scary for her. it has happened a couple of times actually.

my cousin is a computer guy and he's going to teach me once he builds the pc for me.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

who gives a gently caress? it's entertaining regardless and we'll never know the real truth. i'm not really a twelve foot tall oxen with golden horns, i've been pretending all these years, but you'd never be able to tell

also, zoo zoo: "OP" here means "office portal" and it's an in-joke about the first person to make the post. something about "the office" and a video game called "portal" both of which you should catch up on. i don't get it either but when people say it they're talking to or about you. i don't understand it myself
some more internet slang:
"lol"= "lots of laughs" is pretty obvious
"omg" = "only my god" it's a war cry for theists you can just ignore
"idk" = "i don't have a kow" a simpsons reference
"wtf"= "why the face" when you're confused about someone's face
"acab" = "a cop ate bees" and it's about this time a cop ate bees
"idk" i actually don't know what this one is
and, for some stupid loving reason, people sometimes abbreviate "pretty" and "very" as "p" and "v" respectively as in "they're p cool v much" and i hate it every single time. like "hella" except i think that's stopped?
yeah op: you missed "hella" so it was alllllll worth it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

InsertPotPun posted:

who gives a gently caress? it's entertaining regardless and we'll never know the real truth. i'm not really a twelve foot tall oxen with golden horns, i've been pretending all these years, but you'd never be able to tell

also, zoo zoo: "OP" here means "office portal" and it's an in-joke about the first person to make the post. something about "the office" and a video game called "portal" both of which you should catch up on. i don't get it either but when people say it they're talking to or about you. i don't understand it myself
some more internet slang:
"lol"= "lots of laughs" is pretty obvious
"omg" = "only my god" it's a war cry for theists you can just ignore
"idk" = "i don't have a kow" a simpsons reference
"wtf"= "why the face" when you're confused about someone's face
"acab" = "a cop ate bees" and it's about this time a cop ate bees
"idk" i actually don't know what this one is
and, for some stupid loving reason, people sometimes abbreviate "pretty" and "very" as "p" and "v" respectively as in "they're p cool v much" and i hate it every single time. like "hella" except i think that's stopped?
yeah op: you missed "hella" so it was alllllll worth it

these are all 100% accurate

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
also "yeet" - to chuck something away, or as a general response
"rizz" - your level of ability to get a date
"slumped" - tired
"rips" - fast/good

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

who cares

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If we could not intentionally misinform OP with lies because we are miserable bastards that would just be super.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Also Harry yoo yoo I'd recommend going to the Costco thread and getting yourself glizzy.

That probably means something else in THE PEN

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Interesting stuff. I went to jail a few years back and spent 24 hours in the suicidal confinement area - 'the hole' and I still have severe PTSD from it. I'm actually getting drunk right now to deal with the flashbacks. I was only in jail for a week, too. I dunno how you can cope man.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What are your plans for making friends? Your cousin sounds cool but do you want to hang out with people? Church and AA meetings are two places that will take you right in, though your posts haven't demonstrated a leaning towards either. There's a goon meeting forum around here somewhere where maybe you can find your city and see if there's, like, a dnd group or something. How are you physically? Can you join a running club, or join a gym that has a spinning class or weightlifting class? Those are good options.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Mordiceius posted:

Want to have your mind loving blown? Go to https://www.yelp.com/ and search up "Teppanyaki"

You might have a Benihana (popular teppanyaki chain) near you, or better yet a non-chain location.

just don't order teppanyaki to go because then you gotta ask them if they did all the poo poo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Op what happens when you wanna top the yeti and cop toilet wine

What's toilet wine like

And how much you cop on avg and what's the running rate on a yeti topper? What's the split

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

you made some of those words up

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi Harvey. I enjoyed reading your posts. Nothing I can say that would be more helpful than what other people are saying, just wanted to say best wishes and I hope you have fun and enjoy some hard-earned rest and peace of mind. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

escape artist posted:

Interesting stuff. I went to jail a few years back and spent 24 hours in the suicidal confinement area - 'the hole' and I still have severe PTSD from it. I'm actually getting drunk right now to deal with the flashbacks. I was only in jail for a week, too. I dunno how you can cope man.

I found EMDR to be super helpful with flashbacks