Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, the one three-player multiplayer shooter I'm still waiting for is The Finals when is that coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Upsidads posted:

Crazy idea let's ne also coop with actual people in dragons dogma 2

im glad the developers instantly shut this down by listing it as single player on the website because this is the worst idea

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ShadowMar posted:

im glad the developers instantly shut this down by listing it as single player on the website because this is the worst idea

Hey I played monster hunter with friends bringing their own dogs to hunts it ruled.
Now think it's freaks and celebrities instead of dogs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

?????

multiplayer would fix 80% of the issues with DD1.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

?????

this is the worst idea pawn hater

Orv
May 4, 2011
Absolutely zero reason not to do regular online co-op in addition to pawns, certainly not some bizarre idea of DD purity.

E: The one good thing about the otherwise extremely bizarre and bad DD Online was the ability to watch your friend get thrown to their death off a cliff while trying to climb an ogre or something like that.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 25, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Owl Inspector posted:

?????

False beyond belief. Co-op would wreck the carefully maintained system of pawns being absolute morons. Half the fun in DD is in the pawn system and co-op would greatly reduce its value. Having competent party members who don't just run off to grab skulls in the middle of a fight is antithesis to the DD way of life.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I bought and refunded CONVERGENCE: A League of Legends Story within 2 hours, I'm not sure what kind of game it's trying to be. The games it takes influence from are in-your-face obvious, but it all feels like a chinese whispers interpretation of it.

You've got combat somewhat similar to Dead Cells but much, much slower, you've got rooms that lock you in like old beat 'em ups but without the pseudo-3D floor to move on (and it feels like this is every second room), "undodgeable" attack indicators (??) instead of unblockable ones, and probably the biggest issue for me was that it leans heavily into metroidvania tropes like mobility unlocks & areas gated behind those abilities, but drops a map marker down telling you to go back to places you couldn't reach instead of leaving it open to explore.

It also introduces a core mechanic of being able to rewind time very early on, and takes every opportunity to put in unreadable platforming and blind jumps instead of using it in any fun way.

Has anyone played further into it and can say whether that improves, or if it's just more of the same?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Your pawns
+
Your friends pawns
=
More fun stupid

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Owl Inspector posted:

?????

nah

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Upsidads posted:

Your pawns
+
Your friends pawns
=
More fun stupid

You can have your friends pawn without having your friend. There's no way the game would hold up to 8 characters running around so any additional players would mean fewer pawns around.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the pawn system and the exclusion of multiplayer has always been an explicit design decision itsuno has had since the original inception of dragon's dogma back when it was originally just referred to as BBS RPG. forcing multiplayer into it would be bad, actually

see also: all of the seventh gen single-player games that publishers forced multiplayer into that caused the entire game to suffer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

False beyond belief. Co-op would wreck the carefully maintained system of pawns being absolute morons. Half the fun in DD is in the pawn system and co-op would greatly reduce its value. Having competent party members who don't just run off to grab skulls in the middle of a fight is antithesis to the DD way of life.

pawns with a ranged weapon are literally too stupid to use it on enemies they cannot reach in melee, including well-trained ones with good inclinations like challenger and mitigator. if you dare to use a class that can't do everything, their limitations are extremely bad. this is simple poo poo AI, not a feature, but if you consider it a feature the existence of multiplayer would not prevent you from the joys of experiencing it in singleplayer. playing classes with wildly different strengths and using them to cover for each other in multiplayer would absolutely rule, in singleplayer it doesn't work because pawns can't do their jobs so you're relegated to doing everything yourself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Gripper posted:

chinese whispers
:crossarms:

i know that's the australian name for telephone game but australia is wrong

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Capcom has been adding features to their other games (chiefly Monster Hunter) that feel like they were things lifted from DDog2 development, like the AI followers in MHRise Sunbreak. I'd expect vastly improved pawn AI for the new game, because dang those AI followers are actually quite good.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

pawns with a ranged weapon are literally too stupid to use it on enemies they cannot reach in melee, including well-trained ones with good inclinations like challenger and mitigator. if you dare to use a class that can't do everything, their limitations are extremely bad. this is simple poo poo AI, not a feature, but if you consider it a feature the existence of multiplayer would not prevent you from the joys of experiencing it in singleplayer. playing classes with wildly different strengths and using them to cover for each other in multiplayer would absolutely rule, in singleplayer it doesn't work because pawns can't do their jobs so you're relegated to doing everything yourself
a pawn is only as good as its arisen...

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Tarezax posted:

Capcom has been adding features to their other games (chiefly Monster Hunter) that feel like they were things lifted from DDog2 development, like the AI followers in MHRise Sunbreak. I'd expect vastly improved pawn AI for the new game, because dang those AI followers are actually quite good.

the AI followers in sunbreak surprised the poo poo out of me because of how weirdly smart they were for what i assumed would be a minor feature

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

The 7th Guest posted:

:crossarms:

i know that's the australian name for telephone game but australia is wrong
British too!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

Five Nights at Freddys: Help Wanted 2 (TBA) - gently caress the creator of this stupid series

Lol what happened here?

Also was FNAF any good or was it just known for being tweens first scary game? There’s so much around that series but idk anything about it.

Also thanks for all the write ups that you do. It makes it so easy to get caught up at a glance.

Orv
May 4, 2011
FNAF guy is far American political right. Couldn’t tell you if the games are actually good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it was an adequately spooky first game relying on the developer's own inadequacy with 3D graphics to enhance the disturbing nature of the animatronic creatures, but then it went head up rear end over trying to build a lore for itself with all the following games

the creator is a right-wing dipshit who donated money to all sorts of republican politicians, which was literally discovered by a goon on SA (Endorph) and it exploded from there, causing him to cry about cancel culture and run off like a lil bitch

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
scott cawthorn is a far-right nutjob who's been pumping considerable sums of money into republican party campaigns for years. naturally the army of tweens that make up his fanbase have been choking on the news ever since it came out (from these very forums no less)

e: son of a bitch!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ardently defending AI where the decision tree is a straight line

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The new Starship Troopers fps is janky as hell, alpha as gently caress, but man it's super fun. I hope it doesn't die on the vine, the base defense and extraction phases are amazing

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

it was an adequately spooky first game relying on the developer's own inadequacy with 3D graphics to enhance the disturbing nature of the animatronic creatures, but then it went head up rear end over trying to build a lore for itself with all the following games

the creator is a right-wing dipshit who donated money to all sorts of republican politicians, which was literally discovered by a goon on SA (Endorph) and it exploded from there, causing him to cry about cancel culture and run off like a lil bitch

huh! Well I'll be

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can have your friends pawn without having your friend. There's no way the game would hold up to 8 characters running around so any additional players would mean fewer pawns around.

Xenoblade 3 runs on a old rear end switch and does 7

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The trailer on Steam is voiced by Matt Berry, too!

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

The 7th Guest posted:

causing him to cry about cancel culture and run off like a lil bitch

Every loving time

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Immortals of Aveum looks interesting but that dialogue... loving Forspoken syndrome

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Upsidads posted:

Xenoblade 3 runs on a old rear end switch and does 7

Xenoblade 3 also doesn't really have action combat with physics and climbing over monsters and poo poo. Imagine 8 fuckers using Sorcerer spells at once, it would make any system cry.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Xenoblade 3 also doesn't really have action combat with physics and climbing over monsters and poo poo. Imagine 8 fuckers using Sorcerer spells at once, it would make any system cry.

SO monster hunter rise on switch

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Immortals of Aveum looks interesting but that dialogue... loving Forspoken syndrome
Yeah but Forspoken was an isekai so the lady getting sucked into the magical fantasy world and speaking to everyone like she was raised on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Scream while everyone else spoke like proper high fantasy characters was the point, here in Immortals of Aveum it just is a fantasy world where everyone speaks like they're playing Fortnite for some reason, and while I guess there's no reason everyone has to sound like they're auditioning for Shakespeare just because they're shooting magic at each other instead of bullets, it would still be weird if everyone in the next Call of Duty campaign talked like this...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wouldn't even say forspoken syndrome, just like... video game writers spent so long writing oorah dialog/one-liners for war games that they have no idea how to write anything else. and they've grown up consuming nothing but big budget blockbusters and so that's all they know how to pull from

like you could train GPT4 on a bunch of bog standard action/military movies from the past 20 years and it'd come up with dialog similar to that trailer

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i wouldn't even say forspoken syndrome, just like... video game writers spent so long writing oorah dialog/one-liners for war games that they have no idea how to write anything else. and they've grown up consuming nothing but big budget blockbusters and so that's all they know how to pull from

like you could train GPT4 on a bunch of bog standard action/military movies from the past 20 years and it'd come up with dialog similar to that trailer

Makes me think of this one image of a 4chan post that was something like

Shooters then: "Good job, next objective is marked on your map"

Shooters now: "Hey so uh, I don't mean to get on your case or anything or sound like I'm rushing you, but on the radar I couldn't help but notice a bunch of bad guys setting up a weapons depot nearby. Now, I don't know about you, but I really would rather they not complete that. So if you can find the time or can be bothered, any chance you can, you know, head on over there and uh... 'negotiate' with them to stop?"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play good shooters

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

play good shooters

Instructions unclear, installed Chex Quest

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I can understand the dialogue you've already failed. It should be drowned out by the thumping heavy-metal soundtrack, cacophonous gunfire, and the screams of my enemies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if there is more than one character in your shooting game you've failed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Leal posted:

Makes me think of this one image of a 4chan post that was something like

Shooters then: "Good job, next objective is marked on your map"

Shooters now: "Hey so uh, I don't mean to get on your case or anything or sound like I'm rushing you, but on the radar I couldn't help but notice a bunch of bad guys setting up a weapons depot nearby. Now, I don't know about you, but I really would rather they not complete that. So if you can find the time or can be bothered, any chance you can, you know, head on over there and uh... 'negotiate' with them to stop?"
What shooters actually sound like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Assepoester posted:

What shooters actually sound like that?
any far cry game I’d say