Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

.... okay I know he's a huge butthole but he needs to stop. There's pushing through adaptation and there's unnecessary overexertion, and over 100 while sleeping is some life-threatening-severe-sleep-apnea levels of cardiac strain.

It's ok now. It's a safe 76bpm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Imagine trying to explain this and who he is to someone from the past.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
That's all we do on these forums, reply to people from the past

Anyway, I'm glad he's okay, some people in chat said that the trek tomorrow is even worse, is this true?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what's going on here? Is someone really livestreaming their imminent demise from the slopes of Mt. Everest??

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i read the last 100 or so posts and this is sounding like a snuff film watch party. i get why people can't look away but, like, this is bad and i think the best thing to do here is to stop watching. maybe check on him once a day or something (but better to just keep an eye on the news), but this has gone from "lol this dumbass" to something very dark. i don't really think anyone should be in the orbit of this kinda thing.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Just the trek to base camp

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Achmed Jones posted:

i read the last 100 or so posts and this is sounding like a snuff film watch party. i get why people can't look away but, like, this is bad and i think the best thing to do here is to stop watching. maybe check on him once a day or something (but better to just keep an eye on the news), but this has gone from "lol this dumbass" to something very dark. i don't really think anyone should be in the orbit of this kinda thing.

We're not watching someone descend into madness. This is a normal human being with a functioning brain who decided to push himself to the limit.

It's dark because he wilfully smashed out the lightbulbs after being told 'do not smash the lightbulbs'.

He isn't mentally deficient, no one coerced or manipulated him into doing thing and we're not laughing at the disabled.

There's no difference between this or any other extreme sport dumbass.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He's not dying. His sleeping heartrate has been a healthy 56bmp - 120bpm over the past hour

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what's going on here? Is someone really livestreaming their imminent demise from the slopes of Mt. Everest??

He's going to base camp, not up the mountain.

But yes, he does seem to be putting himself in mortal danger. Some lady died of altitude sickness at base camp like ... last week.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Outrail posted:

We're not watching someone descend into madness. This is a normal human being with a functioning brain who decided to push himself to the limit.

It's dark because he wilfully smashed out the lightbulbs after being told 'do not smash the lightbulbs'.

He isn't mentally deficient, no one coerced or manipulated him into doing thing and we're not laughing at the disabled.

Wikipedia says he has Asperger's but "be an rear end in a top hat while trudging up a mountain" isn't one of the DSM criteria.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Outrail posted:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

Cloud Yellers Local 219

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

I can't stream anything at work, so this thread is how I stay updated on this guy.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Outrail posted:

Yes. We're watching a rich stupid American deal with consequences for one of the first times in his life.

He has the ability to stop and turn around any time he wants, we're not watching him suffer from forces outside of his control.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
maybe he'll actually sleep for two days, and be slightly better when he gets up.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Adjacent to this moron's live stream, I've been morbidly hooked on this Youtube channel that shares Hiking Horror stories- this one, in particular, stood out. One of the most experienced thru-hikers of the time made a bad judgment call, and paid for it in the worst way possible;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajFMKgOUZc

Another one that got to me was the story of this guy called 'Mostly Harmless' who was thru-hiking anonymously. He talked to people, had photos taken then was found, sometime later, starved to death in his tent despite having food nearby. It took a hell of a lot of effort to find his true identity, but they did in the end. It's a real sad story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfmWUtg2pg

It's a rabbit hole that this thread will probably appreciate.

Good one, thanks for sharing. (For those who prefer text format like I do-)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2336896/snowbound/

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

Just because you declare you're on a high horse doesn't mean you are, buddy. You're here with the rest of us.

I'm watching because I DON'T want to see people get hurt and the footage of the hike is interesting. So is the psychology of the four people involved. Watching it happen does nothing to change that either way.

Go to his stream and badger the people giving him money and egging him on if you feel you need to be a hero.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blight rhino posted:

maybe he'll actually sleep for two days, and be slightly better when he gets up.

id pay money to be able to sleep for two days and this loser keeps wandering around right in front of me not taking advantage of that

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
ahem

ice piss is awake

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nice weather station

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Achmed Jones posted:

Me posting as a mod (I am keeping an eye on this thread because I have been following it for ages): This dude is going to do what he does. There's nothing we can do to stop it. It is okay to watch and comment on his hubris and stupidity. It is not okay to get bloodthirsty and ghoulish about it. I have discussed this with Seth and whoever else happened to be on mod Discord at the time and we think the current vibe is fine. However, if you feel there are any particular posts that cross the line, please report them, or message me or Seth.

:thanks:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

He's not dying. His sleeping heartrate has been a healthy 56bmp - 120bpm over the past hour

Whatever he's using to measure his heart rate, it sucks rear end.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 25, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Love to do a HIIT workout for a week straight.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I'm digging this thick fog.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

bellows lugosi posted:

nice weather station

thank you :3: its my favorite gift i’ve received in the past few years. highly recommend ambient weather for home weather stations.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Me posting as a mod (I am keeping an eye on this thread because I have been following it for ages): This dude is going to do what he does. There's nothing we can do to stop it. It is okay to watch and comment on his hubris and stupidity. It is not okay to get bloodthirsty and ghoulish about it. I have discussed this with Seth and whoever else happened to be on mod Discord at the time and we think the current vibe is fine. However, if you feel there are any particular posts that cross the line, please report them, or message me or Seth.

:thanks:

appreciate the mod support

it’s 9:30am in nepal and they’re hitting the trail. they’re approaching 15,000 ft today, and IP is refraining from caffeine and his modafinil prescription to try and keep his heart rate down.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

fuctifino posted:

"My fingers are numb"
"My chest hurts"
"Feels weird"

Fingers numb or tingly is an early sympton of altitude sickness. It's also a side effect of Diamox, which is used as a preventative medicine. Altitude makes the blood more acidic as co2 builds up and that triggers production of red blood cells, Diamox mimics this effect. It also is a diuretic, so you lose more fluids and it helps reduce edema.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fingers numb or tingly is an early sympton of altitude sickness. It's also a side effect of Diamox, which is used as a preventative medicine. Altitude makes the blood more acidic as co2 builds up and that triggers production of red blood cells, Diamox mimics this effect. It also is a diuretic, so you lose more fluids and it helps reduce edema.

edema balls bitch

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fingers numb or tingly is an early sympton of altitude sickness.

When I climbed Fuji it was uncomfortably cold, windy, and with sideways rain. There was only a handful of people on the mountain that day because of it. The old man running the store at the top said it's best to head down as soon as possible. And when the old man on the top of Mt. Fuji gives you advice, you listen.

For the first hour on my way down my hands had that feeling like when a limb falls asleep and is coming back with that tingle. I thought it was just the cold, but maybe it was altitude as well.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

When I climbed Fuji it was uncomfortably cold, windy, and with sideways rain. There was only a handful of people on the mountain that day because of it. The old man running the store at the top said it's best to head down as soon as possible. And when the old man on the top of Mt. Fuji gives you advice, you listen.

For the first hour on my way down my hands had that feeling like when a limb falls asleep and is coming back with that tingle. I thought it was just the cold, but maybe it was altitude as well.

I'm telling ya, the talk the researcher dude gave on altitude sickness was freaking amazing. He also mentioned the loving EVEREST MARATHON that goes from base camp to Namche, with an altitude loss of 7,600'. The winner in 2022 was 3h51m. The fastest foreigner was 19th place at 5h51m. It looks like there were 144 participants, 2 did not finish. 3 of them took over 24 hours, I hope they stopped to sleep.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 25, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The day I trekked up Thorong La pass, every step I took felt like I'd just sprinted for 2 minutes. It's so weird though because after 30 seconds of rest I felt totally normal again. Rinse and repeat for 3 hours. That was at 5,416m (17,769 ft). When I finished for the day down in Muktinath at 3,762 m (12,343 ft) I felt like I could drink the air.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Aphex- posted:

The day I trekked up Thorong La pass, every step I took felt like I'd just sprinted for 2 minutes. It's so weird though because after 30 seconds of rest I felt totally normal again. Rinse and repeat for 3 hours. That was at 5,416m (17,769 ft). When I finished for the day down in Muktinath at 3,762 m (12,343 ft) I felt like I could drink the air.

I heli'd out, then single handedly built three miles of rail from the airport to the yak and yeti during the night.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

thank you :3: its my favorite gift i’ve received in the past few years. highly recommend ambient weather for home weather stations.

appreciate the mod support

it’s 9:30am in nepal and they’re hitting the trail. they’re approaching 15,000 ft today, and IP is refraining from caffeine and his modafinil prescription to try and keep his heart rate down.

My rear end he has a modafinil prescription. That poo poo is nigh impossible to get a doctor to prescribe or, worse, an insurance company to approve. I have a condition it's used to treat and can't clear both of those hurdles simultaneously and just gave up and get it from other sources :ninja:

That is absolutely jacking up his heart rate, but I'd wager good money he's full of poo poo that it's legitimately prescribed. Going cold turkey on that and caffeine is also insanely ill-advised...I know when I did that once I wanted to die and I was just sitting around my apartment, not attempting to go from sea level to a place humans should not be.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just randomly scanned through snippets of today's stream, and it looks like he's on at least day #2 without having a poop as he's a germaphobe who refuses to use public toilets, and also because there might be an insect in the toilet.

"I felt a strong urge to go today, but I just squeezed my cheeks and held on"

:allears:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I feel like if your that paranoid about insects perhaps going on hikes isn't for you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fuctifino posted:

I just randomly scanned through snippets of today's stream, and it looks like he's on at least day #2 without having a poop as he's a germaphobe who refuses to use public toilets, and also because there might be an insect in the toilet.

Ice pooseidon

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

fuctifino posted:

It'd be pretty funny if he managed to shoulder his way through all the hurdles of altitude sickness and etc. and then ended up being felled by constipation.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Where does he plan to go eventually? Is this situation going to get better the higher he gets??

I guess "in his pants" is always an option, and is technically not a public toilet...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

jemand posted:

Where does he plan to go eventually? Is this situation going to get better the higher he gets??

I guess "in his pants" is always an option, and is technically not a public toilet...

He's joked about making GBS threads off the side of the mountain more than once, but I think he really believes that he can hold on until after his helicopter trip back from base camp, where he can use a private hotel bathroom. I'm not 100% sure, as I only watch tiny segments of his streams (that's all my sanity can handle) but I think they are at least 13km away from reaching the camp. I have no idea how many days that is at his current rate.

His heart rate monitor has run out of battery, so the stream was constantly showing 114bmp, so we might not get to watch his heart explode in realtime. He's joking that his hands are purple "due to sunburn" (despite wearing gloves), and he always seems to be constantly tired. He said again today that he's supposed to have a rest day tomorrow, but he's planning on pushing further ahead. I guess he needs that poop in a hurry.... lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 25, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

him making GBS threads his pants on the side of the mountain is the funniest thing I'm allowed to post and I hope it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
how do you apparently never travel and have to poo poo before and choose Nepal as your first destination

smdh after blasting rear end in a train station squat toilet this morning. i was thankful at least one of the stalls had awful soviet toilet paper