Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com...dren-of-teclis/

They remembered it's Black Library wednesday and announced a new book. An AoS one even, about elves!

Children of Teclis by Evan Dicken.

quote:

The novel follows Loreseeker Elarin the Illuminated – an inquisitive soul willing to delve deeper than any of her kin into the Ossiarch necropolis of Marrowscar. In this first glimpse into the novel, she and her Bladelord bodyguard travel the landscape of Shyish in search of necromantic clues…

The rest of the article is dedicated to an excerpt from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Boltgun and all is good and great, but where the gently caress is Spears of The Emperor 2??? Black Legion 3?? A date for the second part of End and Death?

I understand that books aren’t the main income for Games Workshop but I was really let down by Son of The Forest, I need something new and gripping, now.

I'm buying into the suggestion that End and the Death 2 is full of important Abnett Master Plan stuff and that's why we don't have the third Bequin book or those ADB books, either - there's going to be a huge recontextualization of major plot points and these books are sorta behind the floodgate.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Dog_Meat posted:

41k endgame... the custodes find the throne missing and Trazyn gets a new piece for his collection

Trazyn actually told me that the throne was necron so that tracks

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm buying into the suggestion that End and the Death 2 is full of important Abnett Master Plan stuff and that's why we don't have the third Bequin book or those ADB books, either - there's going to be a huge recontextualization of major plot points and these books are sorta behind the floodgate.

A lot of the series do seem to have been paused at important cliffhangers, and while only the Bequin series is the one where the author admitted to an overarching plan, a lot of the books have been moving towards something very important about the Emperor and the Throne that will have big effects on 40k and 41k. Pariah came out 11 years ago, I think this all goes back to that at the least.

I am once against asking people to read the Horusian Wars series, it's John French who is inconsistent, but he is in his element here and does his best writing imo. He released the mainline books in 2017 and 2018, also an anthology of short stories in that same context, all setting up a final book in a trilogy, and then that final book just hasn't been released or mentioned.

It is a series following a puritan Inquisitor, post-Psychic Awakening/Great Rift, and is about The Emperor trying and failing to ressurect, through different human vessels, and how the various Inquisition factions, including the renegade and heretical ones, proper Dark Heresy poo poo, are reacting to that (some of them are trying to stop it, some of them are trying to make it happen), and it is heavily implied that every time the Emperor fails to ressurect, He gets closer.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 24, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The clearest explanation is that what happened to the Eldar wasn’t a one-off but the “inevitable” result of any species reaching a sufficient level psychic development, and humanity is reaching that point. The Dark King is the Chaos god that would be born from the apotheosis and sacrifice of humanity.

The reason the Chaos Gods worked so hard and invested so much energy - and took such a tremendous risk - to make the Heresy happen is that the Emperor’s grand project was to save humanity from this fate by permanently cutting them off from the Warp. They had to stop Him in order for the Dark King to be born.

This explains a lot of stuff, incidentally - why the Emperor felt He had to act with what Erda calls “unseemly haste,” why the birth of Slaanesh triggered Him to embark on this stage of His plan, why the Chaos Gods care so drat much who rules over a bunch of mortals anyways. It also explains what happened on Molech; the Emperor went through the portal, the Chaos Gods offered Him the position of Dark King, and He accepted with no intention of actually following through. When Horus went through the Chaos Gods offered him the role instead and explained what he’d have to do to get it. This is why after Molech, Horus began to appear more distant and insane.

In-universe the characters, up to and including the Emperor, appear to believe that the entire Heresy is a mass sacrifice ritual meant to empower Horus to ascend as the Dark King. However there’s some hints that the Heresy is actually a trap laid for the Emperor by the Chaos Gods and that the goal is to force Him to unleash His full power inside the Vengeful Spirit, an active Warp/real space overlay, at a moment of great ritual significance coinciding with the sacrificial deaths of billions.

I think this is largely correct, but I don't agree the Emperor willingly becoming the Dark King was part of the plan. we've got tons of text about how "odorous" and "arduous" he finds the aspect of The Emperor. The Chaos Gods want either the Emperor or Horus to ascend so they're inside pissing out and preserving the psychic power of humanity where they can milk it.

I don't think they care who ascends as long as one of them does. The Emperor being forced into the role of the Dark King after he was forced to wear the aspect of The Emperor to confront Horus is an elegant masterstroke bonus part of the plan for Chaos imo and gives them an extra win condition. they want Jimmy Space dead with Horus Ascendsnt or they want Jimmy Space to put on the Emperor mask and utilize the weight of humanity's belief in him to murk Horus and be stuck as this ascendant Dark King aspect bc he was forced into it to not lose this Great Game.

If Jimmy Space became know to all of humanity as Ghandi or whatever there's no Dark King aspect. I don't know that the Great Plan to preserve humanity had settled into bioscience and poo poo as its form quite yet. its specifically this plan he's tried with this martial, militaristic, might makes right type structure that elevates these authoritarian, violent ruler that all of humanity knows him as that's pushing him into a corner with that situation. Jimmy had to move when he he did because of vacuum of galactic power, need to stop the Korks and various other international relations style reasoning. Maybe some payment was coming due on the deal but 🤷‍♂️

also, I don't think the Dark King end game was part of the Molech discussion. imo it was probably them telling him He can harness humanity and he promises to get humans worshipping Chaos but than instead works against it or something in that space. That he can harness belief to ascend, and he was like bet, ill do that (no intention) and uses that to ascend humanity into the webway and surpress superstition

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

It might be eldar, per implications in Carrion Throne.

My personal rule with BL for the past decade is to strictly avoid anything that wasn't written by Abnett or Dembski-Bowden, so I haven't read Carrion Throne, but during the epilogue of Master of Mankind Diocletian Coros descends into a ruined city somewhere under the surface of Terra where he meets the Emperor, who says that "there are those in the Cult Mechanicum among the Unifiers who surmise that I found the core of the Golden Throne here, beneath the sands of Terra. A relic, they venture, of the dark age," though the way he says it kinda implies that the Mechanicum got that all wrong? Does Carrion Throne expand on that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wraight is 100% legit

You can safely read his books

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

euphronius posted:

Wraight is 100% legit

You can safely read his books

I'd say Dan Abnett, ADB, Chris Wraight and Peter Fehervari are the authors that are always worth reading, even if you aren't personally interested in the specific story.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

A lot of the series do seem to have been paused at important cliffhangers, and while only the Bequin series is the one where the author admitted to an overarching plan, a lot of the books have been moving towards something very important about the Emperor and the Throne that will have big effects on 40k and 41k. Pariah came out 11 years ago, I think this all goes back to that at the least.

I am once against asking people to read the Horusian Wars series, it's John French who is inconsistent, but he is in his element here and does his best writing imo. He released the mainline books in 2017 and 2018, also an anthology of short stories in that same context, all setting up a final book in a trilogy, and then that final book just hasn't been released or mentioned.

It is a series following a puritan Inquisitor, post-Psychic Awakening/Great Rift, and is about The Emperor trying and failing to ressurect, through different human vessels, and how the various Inquisition factions, including the renegade and heretical ones, proper Dark Heresy poo poo, are reacting to that (some of them are trying to stop it, some of them are trying to make it happen), and it is heavily implied that every time the Emperor fails to ressurect, He gets closer.

I've also been banging this drum for a while now. Even the Dawn of Fire books have some of this same stuff we see in Horusian Wars in there with this star child that showed up in the book before last. There is definitely a plan that has elements in many different books that seems to be mainly tied to the end of the siege and the Bequin series. I also believe after we get the end of the siege all these series we have been waiting for will start putting out 3rd books that explore whatever happens and it's effects in the modern era.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

My personal rule with BL for the past decade is to strictly avoid anything that wasn't written by Abnett or Dembski-Bowden, so I haven't read Carrion Throne, but during the epilogue of Master of Mankind Diocletian Coros descends into a ruined city somewhere under the surface of Terra where he meets the Emperor, who says that "there are those in the Cult Mechanicum among the Unifiers who surmise that I found the core of the Golden Throne here, beneath the sands of Terra. A relic, they venture, of the dark age," though the way he says it kinda implies that the Mechanicum got that all wrong? Does Carrion Throne expand on that?

This is a very bad rule. It made sense a decade ago but you are missing out on some very good poo poo that has happened more recently. Vaults of Terra and Watcher's of The Throne are as good as anything Abnett and ADB have put out and are essential for any true fan, you are truly doing yourself a disservice by skipping them. Besides that we've got some great new authors like Mike Brooks and Robert Rath giving us Xenos POV books that are well worth reading. But I beg you, break your rule for Wraight's stuff.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

D-Pad posted:

This is a very bad rule. It made sense a decade ago but you are missing out on some very good poo poo that has happened more recently. Vaults of Terra and Watcher's of The Throne are as good as anything Abnett and ADB have put out and are essential for any true fan, you are truly doing yourself a disservice by skipping them. Besides that we've got some great new authors like Mike Brooks and Robert Rath giving us Xenos POV books that are well worth reading. But I beg you, break your rule for Wraight's stuff.

Fair enough, might give Carrion Throne a go once my next audible credit drops. Got burned by some real garbage early on in my 40k/HH book reading career so I've been reluctant to venture beyond authors who I know consistently put out quality stuff.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Fair enough, might give Carrion Throne a go once my next audible credit drops. Got burned by some real garbage early on in my 40k/HH book reading career so I've been reluctant to venture beyond authors who I know consistently put out quality stuff.

Yeah I don't blame you there has been some absolute dogshit put out by BL, but in the last 5 years it's gotten significantly better. Wraight is absolutely in the conversation with Abnett/ADB. A lot of the newer authors are consistently good, not great, but better than your Gav Thorpes and Graham Mcneills.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

D-Pad posted:

Theres some good very old one off stuff too. I kinda get being vigilant about authors because you could wade through every Gav Thorpe book and struggle to find something dece (Its Last Chancers). Still you miss out on some good runs like Ciaphas Cain, 15 Hours, the Calpurnia enforcer series, Execution Hour (one of my all time favs and a quick read), Relentless, Shadow Point, etc

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nuclear Tourist posted:

the warhammer crime books are all excellent and you're doing yourself a disservice

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There's a frickin guy lighting a minor astronomicon being defended by Saint frickin Celestine in Shroud of Night who has never been mentioned again unless I missed it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd say Dan Abnett, ADB, Chris Wraight and Peter Fehervari are the authors that are always worth reading, even if you aren't personally interested in the specific story.

Definitely the top G's. I want to add Matthew Farrer because his Urdesh series was of immediate Abnett quality and his spin on the Saint and Iron Snakes is some of the best BL writing I've seen in years, but he hasn't written much yet.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I like Josh Reynolds as well. Apocalypse was way better then I expected and has a fun jack in the box pop up in the end. I'm a Scars fan boy though so...

Posting about Warhams books itt has made me realize just how much free time I had during the covid "lock downs", good lord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

I've also been banging this drum for a while now. Even the Dawn of Fire books have some of this same stuff we see in Horusian Wars in there with this star child that showed up in the book before last. There is definitely a plan that has elements in many different books that seems to be mainly tied to the end of the siege and the Bequin series. I also believe after we get the end of the siege all these series we have been waiting for will start putting out 3rd books that explore whatever happens and it's effects in the modern era.

I think the Horus Heresy taught GW the value of having their writers work together. I wonder if the BL aithors are also talking to the rulebook fluff writers these days, it seems like there's a lot more direct crossover between the novels and rulebooks than there used to be. Dawn of Fire makes me think that they are, it seems like GW is letting authors steer more of the overall plot than they ever used to.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know about those other guys but listen man Chris Wraight the last few years has been killing it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There's a frickin guy lighting a minor astronomicon being defended by Saint frickin Celestine in Shroud of Night who has never been mentioned again unless I missed it

There are several minor astronomicon type objects in the lore. You've got the one you mentioned, Sotha from the HH, the thing from one of the recent Dawn of Fire books, and I think at least one other I am forgetting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

D-Pad posted:

There are several minor astronomicon type objects in the lore. You've got the one you mentioned, Sotha from the HH, the thing from one of the recent Dawn of Fire books, and I think at least one other I am forgetting.

Didn't Robby G build one on Ultramar?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't Robby G build one on Ultramar?

Pharos was on Sotha until nids at it and Cawl happened which might be what you're thinking of

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely the top G's. I want to add Matthew Farrer because his Urdesh series was of immediate Abnett quality and his spin on the Saint and Iron Snakes is some of the best BL writing I've seen in years, but he hasn't written much yet.

The Urdesh series, first book I think, has one of the best one on one fights in the whole of the BL.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
The recent angron book also has some kind of device in nihilus that “reflects” the astronomican.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

D-Pad posted:

every Votann has one

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cawl suddenly sits up in bed "wait if we already have all these astronomicons what do we need the Emperor for exactly"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Well who else are we gonna feed the psykers to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cawl suddenly sits up in bed "wait if we already have all these astronomicons what do we need the Emperor for exactly"

He's the biggest one and a bunch of the others depend on him for their own function

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

He's the biggest one and a bunch of the others depend on him for their own function

I'm not serious but like that would stop our big robot friend. Dude already defied a primarch and also unleashed a C'tan shard like hey what could go wrong

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My reading of the traitor Primarchs HH books continues.

Mortarion was good, if somewhat on the short side. I like how it contrasted his ostensibly heroic traits (zero tolerance for tyranny, desire to uphold the dignity of all) with his approach to getting poo poo done that takes "I don't give a gently caress" to completely deranged extremes, and how that's a problem. Odd that there seems to be no mention of Cinis anywhere else in 30k/40k works, since she seems like a fairly significant part of his character development (or crucial lack thereof, which makes sense in context.)

Magnus was fairly excellent. Although things inevitably didn't end well, it was neat to see space marines deployed not for warfare, but for disaster management -- at least initially. The big, awful reveal of the planet's true history was well done. Heavy-handed, but basically everything about Magnus is.

Lorgar was fine, but the one bit that's gonna stick with me is Kor Phaeron's internal monologue at the end. He gets that Lorgar sees things as either pawns, or as objects of worship, and pretty much nothing in between, but what he doesn't get is that he's the exception -- Lorgar feels sincere, unconditional filial love for Kor Phaeron -- and in the face of his own abusive, manipulative sociopathy, at that. It's both sweet, in a hosed up way, and karmic, because the poor jerk genuinely has no idea why he's being kept around, and so richly deserves the centuries of anxiety he's constantly under as a result.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I don't blame you there has been some absolute dogshit put out by BL, but in the last 5 years it's gotten significantly better. Wraight is absolutely in the conversation with Abnett/ADB. A lot of the newer authors are consistently good, not great, but better than your Gav Thorpes and Graham Mcneills.

I think we should take a step back just a hair, and consider that 10 years ago, McNeill and Thorpe were considered on this side of "Better" 40k authors. Nothing I've seen from the more recent authors is anywhere near as bad as CS Goto was. This was also when Abnett was more known for being a Comic Book Writer than anything.

I think the thing that Most franchises need to learn is the scale their authors are best at. Not every author is gonna be able to push out a Cataclysmic world pushing tale. A lot work better with their own corner of the universe to play around in.

Battletech did this the best overall. with STackpole being the main writer to driver the universes narrative foreward, while other authors would write about their favorite faction or Merc team.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Calax posted:

I think we should take a step back just a hair, and consider that 10 years ago, McNeill and Thorpe were considered on this side of "Better" 40k authors. Nothing I've seen from the more recent authors is anywhere near as bad as CS Goto was. This was also when Abnett was more known for being a Comic Book Writer than anything.

lol yup, this was very much the case when I first started reading BL, and a big reason why I only stuck with Abnett and ADB for so long. I'm planning on giving Chris Wraight a try next though, as per the recommendation by the thread hivemind.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

you joke but there probably are extremely heretical tech priests trying to work out how to do the astronomican without the emperor just in case

the punchline is that nobody outside of the Custodes and Sisters of Silence know that maintaining the astronomican is only the second most important thing the Emperor does. The first is keeping the hordes of daemons swarming in Calastar from pouring through into Terra and annihilating all life from the planet.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 25, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

you joke but there probably are extremely heretical reasons tech priests trying to work out how to do the astronomican without the emperor just in case

the punchline is that nobody outside of the Custodes and Sisters of Silence know that maintaining the astronomican is only the second most important thing the Emperor does. The first is keeping the hordes of daemons swarming in Calastar from pouring through into Terra and annihilating all life from the planet.

I'm betting the Dark Angels have knowledge of how to fix the 'Nomicon (again) given they did it during the siege.

Still strange to me that the Astronomican is in Everest.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Calax posted:

McNeill was definitely considered the 3rd best in the old days, but there’s no way anybody thought Thorpe was a skilled author at any point in time.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Calax posted:

I'm betting the Dark Angels have knowledge of how to fix the 'Nomicon (again) given they did it during the siege.

Still strange to me that the Astronomican is in Everest.

its in Shamballa

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Isn't it now fully estimated that the Golden Throne and the astronomicon are 2 separate bits of tech?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yes, there's a pretty big distinction made in the Siege.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Demiurge4 posted:

Well he also did the Enforcer series a couple of years back. And in my re-readings of the few anthology books I've come across a pair of Farrer short stories that are really solid. He even manages to write one where the Avatar of Khaine isn't instantly punked and is suitably terrifying.

Fellblade posted:

McNeill was definitely considered the 3rd best in the old days, but there’s no way anybody thought Thorpe was a skilled author at any point in time.

In Let the Galaxy burn anthology, Thorpe's stories were consistency the most boring to okay ones. With the exception of Know Thine Enemy, that was so bad I couldn't even bother myself to finish it.
If you thought Kyme did Salamanders dirty, then you shouldn't read that one. At one point they are described as "hissed and snarled in anger" when Eldar are mentioned.
And apparently Nocturne has steppe-lions.

While McNeill had one boring Dark Angel story, but also one featuring Snowdog and Jakob Gunderson that was an absolute hoot to read because it was pretty much an 80's horror action movie from start to finish.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 25, 2023

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

notaspy posted:

Isn't it now fully estimated that the Golden Throne and the astronomicon are 2 separate bits of tech?

this was my understanding from Vaults of Terra, too. The astronomicon is just a really big, powerful machine that no one's quite sure how to fix (until they do). The throne is just life support keeping the emperor alive and the web webway gate on terra closed.

Edit: personal theory - the men of iron are going to be brought back in some form or fashion and vashtorr will command them

Molothecat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Warhammer Skulls showcase is live right now on twitch. They just showed a trailer for an Ork vehicle combat multiplayer game that looks fun as hell. It mentioned an alpha playtest is live but I can't find it yet.

Also still having tons of fun with Boltgun. The tzeentch warp maze was inspired.