Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any kind of stated design goal for Pioneer, like "we won't make X mistake that we made before RTR?" I don't really get what the purpose of the format is.

They wanted an eternal format that was "more accessible" than Modern. That's it, that's the design goal. By "more accessible", the general interpretation was that they meant "cheaper to buy into", but afaik that's never been explicitly stated.

They also never mentioned why they couldn't just make Modern more accessible by reprinting the expensive cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pioneer and Modern are not Eternal Formats. They're Constructed Formats.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nonrotating. Whatever.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jabor posted:

They wanted an eternal format that was "more accessible" than Modern. That's it, that's the design goal. By "more accessible", the general interpretation was that they meant "cheaper to buy into", but afaik that's never been explicitly stated.

They also never mentioned why they couldn't just make Modern more accessible by reprinting the expensive cards.

A massive part of it is no fetch lands. They're pretty much mandatory in modern and take a bunch of time shuffling and are a big cost of entry. I think that was probably like the main driver, tbh. I think someone realised if you set the cutoff when you do, it cuts out fetches and also a bunch of other random modern staples (e.g. snapcaster) and so forces it to be an actually different format, but not in a way that just feels like an extensive banlist.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There had to be a better way than "amass orcs 5”

Are the LOTR commander decks modern legal?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

No. They're like most releases now that have a split. So there's LTR set and LTC set. All the Commander stuff will go into LTC. Although Tom Bombadil is in the LTR set even though we all know he's going to be used as a Commander...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Modern was one of their solutions for the problem of what people should do with their cards after rotation, and it was incredibly popular. Extended had been another solution.
But over time it became harder and harder for cards to break into modern so they made pioneer to try and recreate the same success.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They made Pioneer so they could sell a Pioneer Masters product.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

!Klams posted:

A massive part of it is no fetch lands. They're pretty much mandatory in modern and take a bunch of time shuffling and are a big cost of entry. I think that was probably like the main driver, tbh. I think someone realised if you set the cutoff when you do, it cuts out fetches and also a bunch of other random modern staples (e.g. snapcaster) and so forces it to be an actually different format, but not in a way that just feels like an extensive banlist.

Fetch lands are inside the cutoff and had to be day 0 banned to keep them out

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

Amass me these Orcs 3
Ere the other side ye see

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mossyfisk posted:

They made Pioneer so they could sell a Pioneer Masters product.

Yes and mh2 made them stop

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I though MH2 sold really well?

Or do you mean it sold so well that they might as well keep making more of those?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I though MH2 sold really well?

Or do you mean it sold so well that they might as well keep making more of those?

We were told a ph1 was coming and then mh2 happened

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A direct to pioneer product would be incredibly unpopular, at least now. Personally I'd just write the format off at that point.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SaffronOlive casually pitched the concept of Hasbro selling a constructed deck that is a 1:1 copy of winning decklists from Pro Tours for $50 or so and I gotta admit I'd buy those even if I was dogshit at piloting them (and I think they could get me for $70 since also in this fairytale world it's Bo3 and so it's 60 + sideboard. gently caress it, $75).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

SaffronOlive casually pitched the concept of Hasbro selling a constructed deck that is a 1:1 copy of winning decklists from Pro Tours for $50 or so and I gotta admit I'd buy those even if I was dogshit at piloting them (and I think they could get me for $70 since also in this fairytale world it's Bo3 and so it's 60 + sideboard. gently caress it, $75).

Isn't this a lot like the gold-bordered championship decks they sold for a few years in the '90s? Those rocked, my friend bought 6-8 and we'd smash them back in the day, was a lot of fun. Why did they stop printing them in the first place?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They should do that but for any pioneer/modern/legacy/vintage championships too

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Isn't this a lot like the gold-bordered championship decks they sold for a few years in the '90s? Those rocked, my friend bought 6-8 and we'd smash them back in the day, was a lot of fun. Why did they stop printing them in the first place?

They introduced Fat Packs and sales plummeted.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

ilmucche posted:

They should do that but for any pioneer/modern/legacy/vintage championships too

Why would they do that when they make challenger decks that are watered down bastardized versions of those decks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

We were told a ph1 was coming

You're literally just making things up lol

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I remember hearing about those a few sentences later, I'm all for anarchy though, let them be black border reprints, nuke the prices of very specific cards to the ground at one time.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oh yeah I don't care about the sanctity of ~*my card value*~ or whatever, just saying printing good decks from good players is cool and they've done it before and should do it again.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I play with gold bordered cards and everybody else should too! They look sweet!!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Those cards have a gold border, thus as a sovereign wizard of the land I do not recognize their legal standing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul Zuvella posted:

You're literally just making things up lol

I am not. Explorer came about because they passed on it. It was mentioned in 2020.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you are talking about an entirely different thing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm an MH1/2 apologist, but please god never make Pioneer Horizons lol.

EDIT: Although, one of the best things about MH2 was how much it narrowed play/draw winrates. Not sure if this is actually true, but I hear all the time on Twitter/Reddit that Pioneer has the biggest discrepancy between play/draw of all formats. Maybe we need the Elementals in Pioneer :thunk:

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 25, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Free removal that costs a card is definitely very good about helping to keep a format under control

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

I play with gold bordered cards and everybody else should too! They look sweet!!

Played against someone who had a full gold bordered proxy vintage deck. It looked really good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone have a link to that MTG commercial from a few years ago that's like a bunch of Japanese people dressing up like Magic characters and doing a Musical? All the links I can find are private now for some reason.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HootTheOwl posted:

I am not. Explorer came about because they passed on it. It was mentioned in 2020.

That was Pioneer Masters, a Magic: Arena only set of selected reprints, not a paper set nor a Horizons set including new cards specifically designed for the format.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That was Pioneer Masters, a Magic: Arena only set of selected reprints, not a paper Horizons set including new cards specifically designed for the format.

Masters are horizons sets now, see CMM

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Played against someone who had a full gold bordered proxy vintage deck. It looked really good

Hell yeah. I played with those tournament decks for a little bit back in the day, but I took em apart for commander stuff. Doing a full gold bordered deck would be pretty fly...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Masters are horizons sets now, see CMM

CMM is not a Horizons-like set. It is a masters set. Boosters are 100% reprints.

We already have a Horizons-like set for Commander. In fact we have two, Commander Legends from 2020 and Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate from 2022.

Pioneer Masters was not and never was going to be a paper set, any more than Shadows Over Innistrad: Remastered being announced was evidence that they were planning on rereleasing SOI/EMN in paper.

Pioneer Masters was not a Horizons-like set, it was 100% reprints.

Modern Horizons 2 - which was not on Arena - was not the reason they didn't release the Arena-only set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

CMM is not a Horizons-like set. It is a masters set. Boosters are 100% reprints.

We already have a Horizons-like set for Commander. In fact we have two, Commander Legends from 2020 and Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate from 2022.

Pioneer Masters was not and never was going to be a paper set, any more than Shadows Over Innistrad: Remastered being announced was evidence that they were planning on rereleasing SOI/EMN in paper.

Pioneer Masters was not a Horizons-like set, it was 100% reprints.

Modern Horizons 2 - which was not on Arena - was not the reason they didn't release the Arena-only set.

There's going to be, in packs, cards new to the game (booster fun whatever the gently caress alternate arts). There's 10 per deck. This is utter nonsense.

I quit.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Hell yeah. I played with those tournament decks for a little bit back in the day, but I took em apart for commander stuff. Doing a full gold bordered deck would be pretty fly...

the entire 75 was gold bordered for the tournament, promo logos and nice arts. the whole deck looked amazing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Been a while since we had a good Hoot quadruple down. Feels like reality is realigning after the past few months of unpleasantness.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Commander Masters has new cards in their Commander Decks... but this Masters set will have "Set Boosters" that contain Booster Fun versions of those new cards. Naming no longer has any meaning to WOTC so why not

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ilmucche posted:

the entire 75 was gold bordered for the tournament, promo logos and nice arts. the whole deck looked amazing

And the sideboard cards had little "SB"s at the bottom which helped with sorting them out after a match. Just good products all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

There's going to be, in packs, cards new to the game (booster fun whatever the gently caress alternate arts). There's 10 per deck. This is utter nonsense.

I quit.

The 10 new cards per deck are in the commander products. According to the only official word I can see on it, the four commanders are being printed in extended-art version in collector boosters. So, my apologies. Draft boosters are 100% reprints, collector boosters are only 99% reprints.

Modern Horizons contained 209 new cards. This contains, going by what has been said in the announcements, 4.

(Before even getting on to all the other points you were clearly wrong about but are very aggressive over for no apparent reason)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 25, 2023