Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the stream is blank because there arent any god drat games!!!!!

If only this had been true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

you listed 5 twice

It's that good

Ground Zero was 5's prologue
Phantom Pain is MGS5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

oh, i didn't know they had a StSalike now. might have to give it a try to slake my thirst for more league #content

It's quite good, there are a variety of different play styles supported by the different decks, and you're encouraged to play with a lot of them. Although I think there are paid unlocks, I never felt the need to use them as the normal progression felt fine.

It's what I always hoped Magic the Gathering or Hearthstone could do as a single-player mode lol

Relax Or DIE posted:

the thing about card games is that they are inherently cowardly. by allowing random chance(god, essentially) to determine a limited set of actions out of the whole you're admitting that the freedom to act on all possibilities is simply too frightening. every draw is an admission that you chose to cede your future to fate.

I love any card game that lets me break things like this lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 25, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

It's that good

Ground Zero was 5's prologue
Phantom Pain is MGS5
neither of those are 5, though

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I never finished Phantom Pain, for some reason I really couldn't deal with the open world/mission nature compared with the driven narrative of the previous games. I assume I missed the best MGS game ever made?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pipe in my mouth, blowing bubbles with every breath,

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll be curious to see how Marathon turns out, and to see if Bungie can move beyond their Halo legacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-e2krA3uE

CGI trailers are a dime a dozen yawnfest, but it's a decent tone setter.
Modernising a 30 year old game should be interesting.

homeless snail posted:

neither of those are 5, though

They called the 8th Metal Gear, MGS5

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I never finished Phantom Pain, for some reason I really couldn't deal with the open world/mission nature compared with the driven narrative of the previous games. I assume I missed the best MGS game ever made?

If you didn't enjoy the sandbox approach the game had to every mission, where you drop into an infiltration zone and go to town, it really does just continue like that through the campaign.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

pipe in my mouth, blowing bubbles with every breath,

Didn't even call it Metal Gear 5olid

What a wastethrill

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

They called the 8th Metal Gear, MGS5
that aint a roman numeral

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It may not have Kojima involved, but calling the remake of Metal Gear Solid 3 Metal Gear Solid Delta feels like a very Kojima move

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that one fucks with me because, delta is the fourth letter. looking for the hidden meaning. do not say its because triangles have three sides, unless you are also invoking the proposed non-roman numeral title for MGS2: MGS III

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Infinitum posted:

If you didn't enjoy the sandbox approach the game had to every mission, where you drop into an infiltration zone and go to town, it really does just continue like that through the campaign.

That's exactly what I didn't like, or felt like I didn't "get". I remember you have to repeat missions at times, too, at least to collect stuff for your base?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

homeless snail posted:

that one fucks with me because, delta is the fourth letter. looking for the hidden meaning. do not say its because triangles have three sides, unless you are also invoking the proposed non-roman numeral title for MGS2: MGS III

It is four to go beyond Metal Gear Solid 3 in terms of presentation and also triangles have three sides.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also if they called it Metal Gear Solid Γ the Waluigi jokes would be endless

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

delta means change, so obviously this game will have FF7R style changes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

That's exactly what I didn't like, or felt like I didn't "get". I remember you have to repeat missions at times, too, at least to collect stuff for your base?

Yeah it's entirely mission based.

So you can gently caress up missions and have to redo them, you can redo them for better scores, etc.
All the collectathon base poo poo can be largely ignored, and I don't remember investing too much brain power into it.

Yeeting S Tier soldiers with balloons never got old tho.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They should have called Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear 0.

Then PoOps could be -1, PW could be -2 and V could be -2.5 and -3

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wonder what the odds are of Kojima ever being able to do another MGS game - if that's something he even still wants.

I'm sure Sony would be more than willing to shell out the big bucks to license it from Konami if he did

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After probably 100+ hours, I have completed the "Path of Champions" in Legend of Runeterra, and I will be satisfied putting that game away without playing a single multiplayer game lol. It is my favorite of the Slay the Spire-likes, though I need to put some more time into Griftlands.

A slog of a year for me so far in terms of completions lol

Hearthstone Dungeon Run-style adventures were literally the only thing keeping battle.net installed on my computer and when their series of Dungeon Runs was ended with a standard Adventure instead of a roguelike deckbuilder, I was able to walk away for good.

If Legends of Runeterra is better than those were, I may need to look into this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Wonder what the odds are of Kojima ever being able to do another MGS game - if that's something he even still wants.

I'm sure Sony would be more than willing to shell out the big bucks to license it from Konami if he did

I think he's well and truly done with that series. If he changed his mind though it would depend on how petty Konami is these days (historically they're incredibly petty).

AFAIK KojiPro is technically independent so Sony wouldn't necessarily have to be involved. They'd jump at the chance though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

They said they have the original voice cast, which means David Hayter rereading new paragraphs about being safe in cardboard boxes and how sexy his pistol is. I don't really care if the game's a trash fire, I'll still play it for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTgRA2BlZs
If they can recreate the comedy of that 02/05 turning into a 06/18, they're golden.

Y'know... they never did explain who customed that gun, never even hinted at it outside of saying it was "likely" a western officer due to it being from a western munitions depot, but it had to have been The Boss handing it down to him via Eva.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 25, 2023

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

It's not a real metal gear solid game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's not a real metal gear solid game

Unironically this. Peace Walker is MGS5, Phantom Pain is some weird open world spinoff that lacks any of the fun or soul of the series.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

You have to watch a video of the unfinished third chapter to get any proper closure, it is full of interesting poo poo but it's all hidden away in tape decks, it tries to be deeper than any of the other games but doesn't earn it, and most of the plot is just completely forgettable...
...but the gameplay is one of the best loops in the series. If you couldn't handle the open world, you'd never find enjoyment here so, no, you didn't miss much. If you're really interested, you'd do better watching a "mgs 5 the movie" youtube video. The true fun was goofing off in the open world the way people do in Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom and the meta of collecting soldiers, sending them on missions, and using them for upgrades is a very idle gamer "numbers go up" experience that doesn't suit everyone. But if it did suit you, it was the most fun game to play.

Also if you're big into the series, you get to discover why Otacon's relationship with his father in MGS 2's plot was the way it was. His dad deserved it.

Lastly, if you never go back, at least look up the Miller Hamburger tapes. They're the pinnacle of the game's comedy.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 25, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I am very excited about Dragons Dogma 2.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

stev posted:

Unironically this. Peace Walker is MGS5, Phantom Pain is some weird open world spinoff that lacks any of the fun or soul of the series.

Weird to call it spinoff when it's a direct sequel to Peace Walker and its mission structure is very similar to PW.

So it's MGS6

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Relax Or DIE posted:

the main reason to not put out a PC port of Bloodborne is to avoid another round of 'bloodborne goated' discourse from souls-addled gamers thinking that grinding out the muscle memory for when to dodge toward and to the right of the boss is the pinnacle of action gameplay. parryheads wouldn't last one level in a real action game, like wonderful 101 on 101%

oof

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The most exciting thing about the MGS3 remake is the possibility of a MGS4 remake before 2030 2040.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

putting water temple in 'just bad' is a skill issue

it's held back by the bad UI for boots, but you have a tier specifically for that

And you have to backtrack extensively if you want to change the water level, and the many corridors on the many floors aren’t visually distinct, and it’s a water level in a 3D video game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
no need to remake mgs4, it's perfect as is

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Gollum game reviews are in.

Opencritic score is worse than Redfall.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

World was not ready for Sexy Gollum

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What a thrill indeed

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also lol at "We have Splatoon at home"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

no need to remake mgs4, it's perfect as is

They said that about re4. And they were right

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/alexavard95/status/1661664951491084291?s=19

JESUS.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

They said that about re4. And they were right

the gem mini game makes the re4 remake worth it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Will the MGS3 remake restore the vampire dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

homeless snail posted:

you listed 5 twice

V has come two.

Hoping mgs4 escapes the ps3 prison in volume 2.