Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sunk Dunk posted:

I can’t wait until I have a kid and can buy all of these sets under the guise it’s for children and not a giant man baby

I don’t have kids and the toy store isn’t gonna stop me from buying cool toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I built the not-Lego Blade Runner police spinner and HOLY gently caress what an aggravating build.

I don’t know what I was expecting with off-brand legos but there were a lot of shakey build moments with parts that didn’t grip well and the whole thing came apart in my hands repeatedly while building it.

Like, the end result is pretty, but Jesus Christ I am terrified to touch it for fear of it falling apart. Seriously considering taking superglue to it to keep it together.

I’m not optimistic that the 2049 spinner will be any better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do you have any pictures? I love off brand, difficult builds.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you have any pictures? I love off brand, difficult builds.

I don’t have pics handy, but this is where I bought it from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3545983881...emis&media=COPY

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw some knock-off lego trains last night. ANyone make a 65 dollar Big Boy?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw some knock-off lego trains last night. ANyone make a 65 dollar Big Boy?

You talking about this one?
https://www.yourwobb.com/products/jie-star-59005-the-bigboy-steam-locomotive?variant=40851767099548

Jiestar is one of the big knockoff manufacturers. Having actually seen the big boy in person (and very jealous my wife/kid got to see it moving, I didn't), it isn't nearly big enough as a lego set

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

trevorreznik posted:

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/jie-star-59005-the-bigboy-steam-locomotive?variant=40851767099548

Jiestar is one of the big knockoff manufacturers. Having actually seen the big boy in person (and very jealous my wife/kid got to see it moving, I didn't), it isn't nearly big enough as a lego set

Did it seem worth it at that price? Because I’m not gonna lie, it looks rad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

trevorreznik posted:

I fell down a hole last night and there are A-Lot of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Nifeliz-Stea...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/TOYSLY-Build...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
https://www.amazon.com/Chunbrommisa...c0-4513d670b6bc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You're wobb

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Xenomrph posted:

Did it seem worth it at that price? Because I’m not gonna lie, it looks rad.

nono I meant I saw the real big boy at this event. I haven't seen the jiestar one.

The amazon links are weird- I wonder if those places are buying from China and relabeling them?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 24, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that the one at the train museum in Sacramento?

E: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_4294 It's that one that I was thinking of.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Waltzing Along posted:

Is that the one at the train museum in Sacramento?
I think so. It's done some national tours. it has a LOUD horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYYzhjUzCOU

edit quick google says the Sacramento one is a replica

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, I want to say last year it was just slowly trucking across the US and people would just wait by a railroad crossing for it to come.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Somehow every thread I follow goes into train discussions. Probably not a good sign

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sunk Dunk posted:

Somehow every thread I follow goes into train discussions. Probably not a good sign

Haven't seen it happening in the Red Letter Media thread yet thankfully.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Haven't seen it happening in the Red Letter Media thread yet thankfully.

Hold my beer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve never understood the fascination with trains, the slowest, dullest, and ugliest forms of transportation in existence.

Now, let’s talk about planes (but only warbirds and X-planes because commercial aviation is similarly dull as gently caress and I do not get the appeal).

:colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess the train people are the ones who like the big airliners. They are just as complicated and boring as trains. I prefer the cool, small planes. Either flying them in a simulator, or building them as legos brand building blocks. The small ones just look better and are more fun.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I have a FASCINATING book on the design of steam trains in the US from the late 1800's up until they fell out of use.

I'm a boring train person, aren't I :ohdear:

A nice, UCS-style (and ideally Lego train scale) model of a Big Boy or even better a T1 would be a take-the-afternoon-off-work day 1 purchase for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think being a boring train person only applies if you have 10,000 shots of trainspotting photos uploaded to Flickr along with breathless descriptions of how excited you were to see that specific model and designation.

Taking up a third of the floor space at brickworld counts to me as well.

Having history books is fun and informative. :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Trains are cool. We need more trains.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Lego trains are my bag and the modulars are secondary. I have three of the 4559 yellow train on a 9v setup. The massive train setups at Lego conventions are my favorite part and I wish they had half the space instead of just a third.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steam locomotives own, I like steam locomotives. :coal:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Trains aren't really my thing, but I am enjoying watching my favorite machinist youtuber build a functioning model steam engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAWsopdr0A

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
UCS cabforward and/or all those streamline trains plz and thank you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve never understood the fascination with trains, the slowest, dullest, and ugliest forms of transportation in existence.
They are cool because they provide a great foundation for boardgames about stockmarkets and capitalism.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now, let’s talk about planes (but only warbirds and X-planes because commercial aviation is similarly dull as gently caress and I do not get the appeal).

:colbert:

Model railroad layouts are almost as cool as Lego, especially the huge ones that old boomers do. All real trains are cool by association. I remember seeing one that had a ton of tunnels when I was like 6 and it just hit hard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If LEGO made all the Lionel cold war space race bullshit but with Legos I would make a model railroad and become a train guy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://youtu.be/MZXdsM_3Xjs

Search lights, missiles, exploding cars, helicopters

And cows
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1-nda5Pxe2Q-ByamaPBU0HnTnoDFMQ0xGgw&usqp=CAU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

If LEGO made all the Lionel cold war space race bullshit but with Legos I would make a model railroad and become a train guy

I hadn't heard of this but it fits my theory on why model railroads were considered Adult but Legos/other toys weren't until the last decade or so.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

trevorreznik posted:

I hadn't heard of this but it fits my theory on why model railroads were considered Adult but Legos/other toys weren't until the last decade or so.

Because the boomers who grew up on model railroad toys can afford a 150 GG1 that no kid can afford and now millennials are old enough to do the same.
And I live at the intersection of my dad being the boomer who had an extensive model railroad collection and kid who built LEGO accessories for the model railroad, which is why I'd love morning more than a Lego model railroad with the accessory cars off the postwar era my dad was into

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
the problem with trains is I kinda have wanted to build one, but the turbo train nerds will absolutely demolish me if I dare to use an unrealistic wheel arrangement or boiler or whatever the gently caress is a relevant important detail.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I would do heinous, unspeakable things for a good Lego PRR T1 locomotive.

Anyone who thinks all trains are ugly has never seen a T1, it’s literally Art Deco: The Train and it’s gorgeous.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone who thinks all trains are ugly has never seen a T1, it’s literally Art DecoXenomorph: The Train and it’s gorgeous.

Fixed that for you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Xenomrph posted:

Anyone who thinks all trains are ugly has never seen a T1, it’s literally Art Deco: The Train and it’s gorgeous.

I mean, sure, it’s better than most but it’s a total unicorn amongst the thousands of nearly identical greebly rectangles on wheels that people seem to obsess over.

boxen posted:

I'm a boring train person, aren't I :ohdear:

You aren’t boring, friend. Only the trains themselves are.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

the problem with trains is I kinda have wanted to build one, but the turbo train nerds will absolutely demolish me if I dare to use an unrealistic wheel arrangement or boiler or whatever the gently caress is a relevant important detail.

There was a goon in the scale modeling thread who annoyed boomers by having things like bike lanes or public transit in his train layouts. So just lean into being "wrong"

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Deeters posted:

There was a goon in the scale modeling thread who annoyed boomers by having things like bike lanes or public transit in his train layouts. So just lean into being "wrong"

King

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deeters posted:

Goon rules.

Got a link by chance to see his setup?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Deeters posted:

Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How does a train layout not have public transit?