Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Welcome to the PlayStation Showcase.

Excitement is mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bumhead posted:

I always tune into Sony's shows because I'm still emotionally invested in a version of PlayStation that I remember fondly. The PS1 was the first console I ever owned. But that version of the product, the company, their vision and focus and the studio's they have delivering it, simply doesn't exist anymore. This was the type of showcase that genuinely makes me question what my interest in games actually is anymore. As the next phase of a console generation that's already 3 years in and offered precious little, it just feels like I'm out and not in a particular rush to jump back in.

There are more games than ever before, but it will never fit the precise version of nostalgia you're trying to recreate or keep alive in your head. Just gotta roll with poo poo. Plenty of amazing games to play wherever you are. MS and Sony's operating strategies are in fact really hosed rn but in different ways coming out of covid and playing brinkmanship over the future of Acti-Bliz. Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank until the exact moment when they actually are forced to do something about their geriatric hardware at which point they will faceplant harder than Ouya. And big budget PC gaming is in absolute tatters for the immediate future.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Also its not just preceded by FF14, it's witten and made by the people who specifically wrote some of the most well loved parts of FF14's story which is also an incredibly well loved as a story as a whole. it has potential out the arse, and hopefully lands it.

Also its not weighed down by mmo stuff so they have way more freedom and no lovely battle system

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought the show was solid and came out of it with a good chunk of games I want to play, but I agree that the format of just showing a string of trailers like you're at a cinema but the ads have been extended to a full hour makes it really hard to remember everything and makes the show feel longer and more tedious than it probably is. Especially when it felt like they had the format down for a show like this after the PS5 reveal stream where they'd have developers pop up just to say a few lines about the game before moving on so it didn't feel like a barrage of Youtube videos stitched together.

But also what's their motivation to change right now? Microsoft bought up half the industry and still can't get games released, Nintendo is at the end of their system's life, no-one who isn't already there is getting into PC gaming right now. And they showed 2 of those live service games they apparently want running and people are completely apathetic about Fairgames and actively resentful of Marathon (and actively mocking Foamstars) so look forward to those being shut down within 2 years.

Also I should be the direct target market for Project Q as a freak who loves handhelds and uses remote play, but the idea that its only for locally installed games and can't do PS+ streaming is absolutely baffling because I would consider it if I could use it for PS3 streaming and it was reasonably priced (which it won't be in a market where Logitech will slap some controls on a screen with an ancient Android chip and charge $400 for it).

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 25, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Project Q is the worst piece of hardware Sony have put out in years, and this is the company that made the PSVR2

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Escobarbarian posted:

I was talking about the wealth of people bitching about the presentation in general, not you :)

:doh: Sorry about jumping down your throat like that! Kinda agreed, too. I felt like it was mostly good with some real highlights but the editing/flow could've been better.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Ff16 street date is broke in peru lmao

Edit: false alarm, it was just a ff15 copypasta joke i fell for

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 25, 2023

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Project Q is the worst piece of hardware Sony have put out in years, and this is the company that made the PSVR2

The PSVR2 is actually phenomenal so

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PSVR2 is good hardware, the problem is the games. Especially when they announce 4 new games (more than Facebook have announced for the Quest in the last year at least) and 2 of them were zombie shooters (one of which apparently didn't get the memo that Zombieland was nearly 15 years ago) and another was a legendarily bad free to play shooter. Synapse looked cool though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Ff16 street date is broke in peru lmao

🛫

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Edit: false alarm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw one preview that said it felt like a PS2 game and I can't imagine higher praise.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

lmao

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Yeah my bad, someone at reset era just posted a novel length op detailing impressions and it was a straight up troll and based off a ff15 copypasta thing i barely get and fell for it. lol.

Hype is still real and flying tho :cool:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

here are my predictions

-best game since MGS3
-2nd best Final Fantasy
-game of the year
-game of the generation

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

God, I hope FFXVI lives up to the game I’ve built up in my head.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

here are my predictions

-best game since MGS3
-2nd best Final Fantasy
-game of the year
-game of the generation

:hmmyes:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There was someone who was at one of those recent preview events who said she started crying at one point and Yoshi-P was behind her and he said "I'm sorry" and that's a lifegoal imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24YMbnIRrZg

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just got around to watching the Spidey 2 trailer holy poo poo. Looks awesome.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

In the end, all that matters is these games need to come out and be good.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

There was someone who was at one of those recent preview events who said she started crying at one point and Yoshi-P was behind her and he said "I'm sorry" and that's a lifegoal imo

I first saw her though her FFVIIR content. She’s very likeable. Story starts at 11:10, and is a pro-click.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hey there Vikar, it's been a long time :mmmhmm:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

In the end, all that matters is these games need to come out and be good.

Yeah I think it's a matter of the hype cycle/disappointment that has jaded a lot of the posters. Next level is never having expectations and being pleasantly surprised. You'll get there, eventually.

JBP posted:

Just got around to watching the Spidey 2 trailer holy poo poo. Looks awesome.

Oh hell yeah. Was not hyped for Spiderman 2 at all but this looks great. Everything else looks about as good as I'd expect. Like, cool there are prestige indie games, FF16/SF still look good, etc. Some stuff is iffy, but like, sometimes that stuff pays off. Honestly I'm interested to see if Bungie can make Marathon into an extraction shooter. Will it be a hot mess? High probability. But also Bungie making Borderlands-but-serious could've been a hot mess, too, so... who knows

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are there actually any extraction shooters on console currently?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really trying to imagine what could be improved graphically anymore and it's a pretty short list
  • African/Black hair could be better
  • Maybe we can get better at hands holding things and the little details in how the skin creases
  • Mirrors???

If you're trying to chase hyper real graphics then what's the next challenge? Things are pretty solid even if this doesn't look like we're controlling characters so detailed that they look like humans at 6.204484e+23K resolution.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

The Division 2 and Call of Duty: DMZ.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

njsykora posted:

The Division 2 and Call of Duty: DMZ.

Huh. I thought the Division 2 was a Destiny-like. I’ve literally never heard of DMZ.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Tbf I'm not really going to be completely satisfied by any reveal this year unless it is the suikoden remaster release date

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CottonWolf posted:

Not out yet but there’s Hyenas (from Creative Assembly) and that game I mistook for Hyenas that I think is also about stealing from the rich.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Wonder what kojima has to say about todays events...

Kojima on the days events:
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1661483747483713537?t=Ebo9Kdwnp4TkNsW7IMQP8Q&s=19

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These loss edits keep getting weirder and weirder.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I thought the Division 2 was a Destiny-like. I’ve literally never heard of DMZ.

It is but its big unique feature was the Dark Zone, an area of the map which was a constant PVP zone where you could find high level gear but had to extract it in order to keep it. It's literally the extraction shooter thing being done in 2016 but no-one really cared until Tarkov started getting big on Twitch. DMZ is part of COD Warzone and is the same thing, go into a PVP area and find gear to extract. To be honest if I was Ubisoft and was literally years ahead of the trend but got no recognition for it I'd be pissed off.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

The Division 2 has the PvE zone you play alone or with people against AI enemies doing missions and raids etc... and the "Dark Zone" that is PvPvE where you try to get loot extracted and people can help or stop you from doing so. The Division 1 had that Dark Zone too (working more or less the same).

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

kojima with a surprise “isosceles lock” with those freddy mercury action figures

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

He should apologise to me for most of Endwalker too then

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

anothergod posted:

Yeah I think it's a matter of the hype cycle/disappointment that has jaded a lot of the posters. Next level is never having expectations and being pleasantly surprised. You'll get there, eventually.

Yeah I mean, maybe I'm different but I'm just happy to know release dates/windows for Alan wake 2 and spider-man 2. I was also excited to hear we're gonna get new indie games from the people who made gris, night in the woods, journey/abzu/Pathless.

And there's still other potential stuff that will come out that we'll see in a future game show or Sony state of play.

And even then, I've got plenty on my plate. Still got three final fantasy pixel remasters to go through, we have ff16, we love Katamari and ghost trick next month and armored core 6 isn't too far off. And that's not counting the untold amounts of stuff on my backlog or waiting for a sale on (like jedi survivor)

Kale
May 14, 2010

Having a good laugh at my one buddy being salty about the Square Enix game in the event. To preface he's a massive Square Enix fanboy, and I was discussing the night before how SE prefers live service games these days going back to them announcing a major strategy in it at one points early in the console generation. He insisted live service games are dead and I said I bet they have another one at the Playstation thing and lo and behold. Needless to say he's super pissed that I called it and won't even talk about it. I wonder if Sony asked them to make it or they offered or what is going on exactly with that one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

S-E has always just thrown a bunch of poo poo at the wall hoping something will stick.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

njsykora posted:

It is but its big unique feature was the Dark Zone, an area of the map which was a constant PVP zone where you could find high level gear but had to extract it in order to keep it. It's literally the extraction shooter thing being done in 2016 but no-one really cared until Tarkov started getting big on Twitch. DMZ is part of COD Warzone and is the same thing, go into a PVP area and find gear to extract. To be honest if I was Ubisoft and was literally years ahead of the trend but got no recognition for it I'd be pissed off.

Rabbids beat Minions to the punch lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Rabbids beat Minions to the punch lol

Rabbids are better too imo