Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Khanstant posted:

why is the fbi investigating and not the control bureueaio

Alan doesn't know about the Control bureau, so he wrote them as FBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait to play my Playstation Q at comet pizza and ping pong in washington DC

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Why doesn't he write something good? If I had that power I'd write a story where everybody mails me forty bucks to draw them MacGee from MacGee and Me so they can have their own lighthearted vaguely christian adventures.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Then I'd write a machine that draws the MacGees and Mes for me so I can just collect the 40 dollars and not do the work. I'd even write a machine to mail the MacGees out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Alan invented the Control Bureau. the second control DLC revealed that everything about the game possibly including jesse’s existence is a fabrication he made to bail him out of the dark place

kind of sucks because control is the much better IP, it shouldn’t be subordinate to this schmuck’s ersatz Stephen King saga

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Alan invented the Control Bureau. the second control DLC revealed that everything about the game possibly including jesse’s existence is a fabrication he made to bail him out of the dark place

kind of sucks because control is the much better IP, it shouldn’t be subordinate to this schmuck’s ersatz Stephen King saga

Easy: the Bureau is real and everything Alan is just another freaky mindfuck headgames room.

Control was great but really showed they do not get what's good about it at all. Seems like maybe their MO is to make a really good game, but then gently caress it all up by thinking it's 2002 and the only way a videogame can exist is if you control a gun and click enemies forever. It's really out of place and makes their games worse, but it's like he can't conceive of a videogame not based around a gun, as if it were the sole core requirement if the medium.

Lose the guns, Sam. Set yourself free.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Guns are cool. Shooting enemies ftw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not saying that if you enjoy gun violence in games it makes you a bad person, but only because I'm scared you'll kill me because of the low quality of character evidenced by your bloodthirst

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/304367288260386816

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only gamers Jesus let's into heaven are puzzle gamers, the people who play random itch.io games, sierra game gamer, and people who buy and use big joysticks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

isn't that just a theory still? i really, really want it to be wrong because as you said, Control is way more interesting than Alan Wake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

roomtwofifteen posted:

isn't that just a theory still? i really, really want it to be wrong because as you said, Control is way more interesting than Alan Wake

Remedy have a history of getting weird with their DLC and then just kinda dropping it (i.e. American Nightmare) so it wouldn't surprise me if Control 2 didn't follow up on the Alan Wake stuff at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's been awhile since I have played Alan Wake, but I saw someone mention that the other FBI agent in the trailer who looks exactly like Max Payne is probably Alan's fictional character Alex Casey that was mentioned in the first game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When MS makes an accessibility controller:

When Sony makes an accessibility controller:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
as a PC gamer who generally prefers indie games to AAA titles, I was pretty happy with that Sony showcase. from the standpoint of AAA PS5 console exclusives, yeah, I guess it was pretty lacking, but not my problem!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I expect this won't be the last game to do this going forward

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1661490115833913344?s=20

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll probably buy 5-7 of those games so seems like a solid enough show to me. Especially playing on PC - a lot of that stuff is day 1 even a few of the Sony published titles.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Why doesn't he write something good? If I had that power I'd write a story where everybody mails me forty bucks to draw them MacGee from MacGee and Me so they can have their own lighthearted vaguely christian adventures.

He's gotta write stuff that fits with a certain vibe or it doesn't work.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I expect this won't be the last game to do this going forward

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1661490115833913344?s=20

As a pc gamer I can't remember the last game I bought physically

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

as a PC gamer who generally prefers indie games to AAA titles, I was pretty happy with that Sony showcase. from the standpoint of AAA PS5 console exclusives, yeah, I guess it was pretty lacking, but not my problem!
yeah it's fine as a pc gamer but I think if I was a hardcore PS5 fan I'd be wondering what the gently caress the majority of Sony's studios are doing since maybe 2 or 3 of them showed up today

like, what first-party project is in dev hell that they had to put a trailer for a Teardown PS5 port in their big E3-ish show? no shade on Teardown but that's obviously not something you would curate in an ideal reveal-heavy showcase so I wonder if some of the teams are really far behind in "phase 2"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as a pc gamer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah it's fine as a pc gamer but I think if I was a hardcore PS5 fan I'd be wondering what the gently caress the majority of Sony's studios are doing since maybe 2 or 3 of them showed up today

like, what first-party project is in dev hell that they had to put a trailer for a Teardown PS5 port in their big E3-ish show? no shade on Teardown but that's obviously not something you would curate in an ideal reveal-heavy showcase so I wonder if some of the teams are really far behind in "phase 2"

AAA development takes so long now that they're already making PS6 games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PS6 has no games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, the even numbered Playstations have games

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Why did they even call it Marathon when it doesn't look like or have anything to do with Marathon

It's not like it even has any name recognition outside of people who had a Mac in the 90s.
Way back in their first contract to produce Destiny or something, Bungie mentioned they were setting aside a small team to produce "Marathon", so I wonder if it had a long complicated development where it started out as more of a straight remake of Marathon and gradually morphed into something completely different.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 25, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and marathon away

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Terper posted:

Because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and marathon away

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Item Getter posted:

Why did they even call it Marathon when it doesn't look like or have anything to do with Marathon

It's not like it even has any name recognition outside of people who had a Mac in the 90s.
Way back in their first contract to produce Destiny or something, Bungie mentioned they were setting aside a small team to produce "Marathon", so I wonder if it had a long complicated development where it started out as more of a straight remake of Marathon and gradually morphed into something completely different.
I guess it's because the title MARATHON vaguely conveys the "hurry run to the chopper" feel of an extraction shooter?

But yeah it's like if they called the latest battle royale shooter UNREAL TOURNAMENT because it's a tournament where people shoot each other.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The last physical PC game I bought was Mafia III, it came on 7 DVDs.

You had to input the CD key on Steam regardless but I guess you didn't have to download everything

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Somy event was fail.

Great OP as always 7th Guest :love:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Alright so what are the expectations for Nintendo in all this?

Likely they just drop a Direct at a weeks notice or will they be part of Geoff’s thing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bumhead posted:

Alright so what are the expectations for Nintendo in all this?

Likely they just drop a Direct at a weeks notice or will they be part of Geoff’s thing?

They don't care now there isn't a single central industry event and will just do a Direct whenever they feel like it. I'd be very surprised if they show anything at G3 given they barely even bother with The Keighleys any more.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Oh definitely.

The Turbo Nerds do seem to keep a good track of when they're "due" though. Curious if there's any particular intel about one on the immediate horizon.

It does feel like the right time to see what's beyond TotK other than Pikmin 4. I'm not in a rush for a Switch 2 either so not anticipating a software crash for the Switch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Based off their usual hardware cadence and what they said in their last financials the Switch 2 is probably late next year, so they're probably winding down on first party stuff unless they're planning a cross-gen period. Pikmin 4 and maybe another Kirby game are probably all that's left from first party if they have the big teams working on next gen games. I think we see a small Direct in June or July but that's it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd also put money on Metroid Prime 4 being a cross-gen launch title

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When the Marvellous direct?

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

When the Marvellous direct?

7 and a half hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU