Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

E3 is finally dead for real this time. I'm sure that it will attempt to come back, again, next year, but let's be real. It will not. Geoff Keighley hasn't killed E3, but he was there when it died and he cut off its head just to be sure. I am not Defunctland but if I were to guess why E3 died, there are certainly a number of reasons:

1) Publishers began holding events separately from the convention center/brand trappings of E3
2) Publishers probably did not want to keep exhibiting in a physical location outside of PAX (and I wouldn't be surprised if the costs to maintain an exhibition space kept growing year over year)
3) Gamescom exists in August and TGS in September and it's probably not worth doing so many shows in such a short span of time.
4) uhh what else what else, oh right, that one little thing of THE ESA DOXXED EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED E3 OVER A MULTI-YEAR PERIOD. that might have maybe made journalists, media outlets, and smaller studios want to stay the gently caress away

Not much has changed for the home consumer though, who will still get a buffet of trailers, announcements and release dates. There's no cringe skits anymore (well unless you consider Devolver's 'parodies' looping back around to cringe), no on-stage demos, and no far-out-in-advance announcements. Nintendo Directs helped reshaped the industry into one that takes far fewer risks in how it presents its games, and how much it reveals, and when to make those announcements. So if you want to get mad at the lack of Milo the Virtual Boy or unveiling a car on stage, you can partially blame them.

By going mostly digital, the month of announcements has largely been reclaimed by indie developers, as indie events overwhelmingly dominate the festival. From the MiX's Guerilla Collective and Black Voices in Gaming events, to Doublefine's Day of the Devs, to Tribeca (famously of the film festival) holding a curated indie game presentation, the AAA games have taken a backseat. Which is not to say they won't get the first spotlight on them in Geoff's specially tailored event, the Summer Games Kickoff show. But there is a reason why Geoff this year has stated there will only be "3 or 4" 'big' announcements at the show. Much as all of the internet is conglomerating into five websites, all of AAA gaming is conglomerating into a small handful of franchises, and as such, there's just not as much of it to hype people on anymore. Street Fighter 6 will already be out. Bungie will never make another game outside of the Destiny franchise again. Redfall was a massive flop. Outside of Zelda, most of this year's biggest AAA releases to date have been remakes (RE4, Dead Space) and it's looking like the next COD will indeed be MW3 remade. All of the fun stuff isn't in the billion dollar advertising machine.

So what's to expect this time? Will the next Elder Scrolls finally get a progress update or will Bethesda continue to push expansions to ESO? Does Microsoft have any surprises outside of, IDK, Gears 6? (And let's be honest that wouldn't be a surprise.) Will Obsidian finally show Avowed? Can the PS5 actually get some system exclusives beyond Returnal, Ratchet & Clank and the Demon Souls remake? I dunno. None of that stuff is in my 300-game wishlist. Here's what I care about : Will ENA Dream BBQ get a release date? Is Bushiden vaporware? Will Tactical Breach Wizards come out of hiding someday? Could Devolver maybe spend less time on their bad anti-humor and show more than just 4 games this time? They've got a fair amount in their catalog.

----

EVENT SCHEDULE (Recap page: https://www.gamesrecap.io/)

Playstation State of Play Showcase (May 24, 1 PM PT/3 PM CT/4 PM ET/9 PM BST)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EKydVVvHk
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/playstation

With an expected runtime of an hour, this comes a little bit before all the other big events but still is considered part of the Summer Game Fest umbrella. It will be focused on, of course, PS5 and PSVR2. I'm a PS5 owner and the thing has not been touched much, between the Steam Deck overwhelmingly dominating my gaming time, and Xbox Game Pass filling in the gaps. I need reasons to turn this on. Reasons that I can't find elsewhere, for that matter.

Guerilla Collective Showcase (June 7, starting 9 AM PT/11 AM CT/12 PM ET/5 PM BST)

The MiX has been the indie backbone of the summer gaming events over the past several years, dishing out trailer after trailer of promising indie games of all colors and stripes. They've been pretty good about setting segments up, getting out of the way to allow several trailers to run uninterrupted, then providing commentary afterward, as well as the occasional Zoom interview. Several dozen games get shown each of these MiX events, and this is just the first. It'll then be followed by Publisher Spotlights, which if it was like last year, means some sizzle reels and trailers from indie publishers like Freedom Games, Merge Games, etc.

Summer Game Fest Showcase (June 8, 12 PM PT/2 PM CT/3 PM ET/8 PM BST)

The official event of the festival, hosted by Geoff Keighley, which will be live in Los Angeles and likely with a full audience this time. As mentioned before, Geoff has not been playing up the size of this event as he has in the past, so he knows that this is going to be a less crazy year for announcements. Expect a mix of indie and major publisher games, and probably another look at Death Stranding 2.

Doublefine Day of the Devs 2023 (June 8, following Summer Game Fest Showcase)

Doublefine, like Tribeca, curates their selection down to just a handful to show, and it's usually a good call. Games that have been shown the past couple of years at DOTD: Axiom Verge 2, Toem, Garden Story, Road 96, Unbeatable, Death's Door, Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery, Planet of Lana, Escape Academy, A Little to the Left, Bear & Breakfast, How to Say Goodbye. All of which have come out and are highly regarded (many regarded highly by myself). Expect a well-rounded selection of indie titles.

Devolver Showcase (June 8, 3PM PT/6PM ET)

I'd love to believe Devolver will just show games and stop their unfunny "we're so quirky and Tim & Eric!" shtick, but it's highly unlikely, based on their preview video which has a cartoon mascot that never existed before.

Tribeca Games Spotlight 2023 (June 9, TBA)

While a time for the event hasn't been announced yet, the games have: Goodbye Volcano High, Chants of Senaar, Stray Gods: The Role-Playing Musical, Nightscape, A Highland Song, The Expanse: A Telltale Series (yes they're back), and Despelote. The Tribeca film festival itself will have a documentary about Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding but I don't know that it will be shown as a part of the Games Spotlight.

Future of Play Direct (June 10, 8 AM PT/10 AM CT/11 AM ET/4 PM BST)

This one is presented by GLITCH and it's hosted by, uh, a VTuber, I guess. I don't really remember much about the framing device, it's supposed to be inspired by Toonami, but the "vtuber" is like this weird mishmash of CGI and VR arms? It was really weird looking. Last year's event showed Cook Serve Forever, Soundfall, Dorkromantik, Kabaret, Railbound, Infinite Guitars, Creature Keeper, Psychroma, The Wandering Village and several other indie titles.

Wholesome Games Direct (June 10, 9 AM PT/11 AM CT/12 PM ET/5 PM BST)

If you like the edges sanded off of your games, the Wholesome Direct will features a lot of conflict-free cozy titles, half of which will be knockoffs of Stardew Valley. Still, some interesting stuff does get tucked away in these-- I just wish they had better curation and didn't show basically every first-time developer's first time trailer of a game they've spent 2 months working on.

Gamesadar's Future Games Show (June 10, 10 AM PT/12 PM CT/1 PM ET/6 PM BST)

Not to be confused with the vtuber event, the Future Games Show has more credibility behind it, usually hosted by actual industry voice acting icons, along with having a demo event on Steam for people to try out games from the show. This year's event will feature over 40 games.

Xbox Games Showcase and Starfield Direct (June 11, 10 AM PT/12 PM CT/1 PM ET/6 PM BST)

So.. it's probably not a great sign for the Zenimax side of Microsoft that their entire contribution to Microsoft's biggest event this year may be a single game. I mean, it's a pretty pivotal one for Bethesda Game Studios and Todd Howard, as a lot of their future rides on it. Still, I wonder if anything else from the Zenimax side will leak into the Microsoft side of the event. We know that Machinegames has been working on an Indiana Jones game and with the new film out, this would be the perfect time to reveal gameplay. There are a number of Microsoft studios that we just don't know what they're working on (I've brought this up before, but the We Happy Few dev has been working on.. what exactly, for the last several years?). They also famously said every game in last year's event would be coming out within the year, and then had Silksong in the event. Whoops! Well, that's not their fault anyway. Let's see and the first title they're gonna show is, UFO 50 ohhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PC Gamer's PC Gaming Show (June 11, 1 PM PT/3 PM CT/4 PM ET/9 PM BST)

At this point you know the drill about these. Day9 hosts it, there's a lot of PC games shown, you get more RTS and ARMA-like coverage than anywhere else, there's a lot of interviews. These are the least exciting but sometimes have the most consistently high quality amount of games shown.

Ubisoft Forward (June 12, 10 AM PT/12 PM CT/1 PM ET/6 PM BST)

I don't really care about this one, but there's a rumor they might be showing an open world Star Wars game at this one. Yawn. Of course it's open world, it's Ubisoft. Do you climb AT-ATs to reveal the map?? There'll certainly be info on the new Assassin's Creed and, IDK, Far Cry 7 probably or something? I could not care less. Remember those idiotic Tom Clancy spinoffs? Or Roller Champions? That was funny I guess.

Capcom Showcase (June 12th, 3 PM PT/5 PM CT/6 PM ET/11 PM BST)

The biggest game of Capcom's may have just released, but they also have ANOTHER biggest game, Dragon's Dogma 2, which they will no doubt focus on quite a bit in this event, as well as future Resident Evil projects and Exoprimal.

Guerilla Collective Presents (June 13th, starting 12:30 PM PT/2:30 PM CT/3:30 PM ET/8:30 PM BST)

The second half of the Guerilla indie event will have another batch of indie titles, and then more focused developer spotlights in the form of Dames 4 Games and Black Voices in Gaming, which will feature one-on-one interviews and longer looks at upcoming titles by female and black creators.

----

Interesting Indie Games That May Show Up:

Mineko's Night Market (Sep 26th) - A life sim heavily themed around cats and a cat deity, by Meowza Games. Published by Humble Games, which means it likely will be on Game Pass unless their current agreement ends.

Animal Well (2024) - A hauntingly colorful exploration platformer that promises to have an amount of secrets on the level of Fez or Tunic.

Scene Investigators (2023) - For fans of detective games that don't hold your hand, Scene Investigators comes from the developer of The Painscreek Killings. It presents a crime scene to you, and it's up to you to fill out a form detailing what happened and who is responsible, based purely on your own deductive prowess.

Phonopolis (TBA) - The latest game from Amanita Design (Samorost, Creaks, Botanicula) is their most visually stunning yet and looks to be their most story-focused game since Machinarium.

American Arcadia (TBA) - First shown at last year's Summer Game Fest (and then, kinda, not shown again since), American Arcadia is a mix of stealth game and The Truman Show.

The Last Faith (TBA) - One of a few promising Souls-likes in the works with great spritework, although it will have to compete with the return of a modern instant classic...

Blasphemous 2 (2023) - Revealed just last month, Blasphemous is back and releasing a sequel this year with even more immaculate pixel art (and hopefully a slightly better skill tree).

Viewfinder (2023) - This year's most prominent puzzle game has a mechanic that has been attempted by other indie prototypes but never reached completion. Viewfinder is reaching completion, and it promises to be as interesting as the perspective-fuckery puzzler Superliminal, but with photographs that you literally reproduce in 3D. This could've been enough by itself but the game is also dipping into its bag of aesthetic tricks with all sorts of fun artsy tributes, as you'll reproduce and enter paintings, low-res video games and pixel art, and children's crayon doodles.

Nivalis (TBA) - A gorgeous looking spinoff of Cloudpunk that lands in the restaurant management and life sim categories. Not necessarily what people were asking for at the time but it certainly is a looker.

Cocoon (TBA) - A new beautiful looking puzzler from the designer of Limbo and INSIDE.

Gunbrella (2023) - Likely the headliner of Devolver's show (unless they have Serious Sam 5 or something), Gunbrella is from the developer of Gato Roboto, Doinksoft, and your gunbrella functions both as a weapon and a traversal tool. I don't THINK it's a Metroidvania, I think it's more along the line of always-moving-forward like Cave Story unless you want to go back for secrets. Should be pretty good.

Selaco (TBA) - Probably one of the most anticipated boomer shooters on the horizon, made in GZDoom but you wouldn't know it with how many razzle dazzle effects and shaders are going on.

A Star Named EOS (TBA) - The next game from the developer of Behind the Frame boasts similarly hand-painted 3D panoramic areas to puzzle in.

Of course, this is only a small selection or the OP would be massive. Also be on the lookout for: Kitsune: The Journey of Adashino, Rotwood (Klei Entertainment), Mythwrecked, Bits & Bops, Being & Becoming, Slave Zero X, Demonschool, Paper Trail, Wandering Sword, Echo Point Nova (Severed Steel dev), A Rat's Life, Townseek, Valfaris: Mecha Therion, LOK Digital, Thirsty Suitors

-----

As always, this is gonna be a thread with a lot of TV IV "what the gently caress is this poo poo" posting but let's keep it kinda chill. No need to imitate the Youtube live chatroom. We're certainly better than that! (How much better? uhhhhh) Enjoy the gaming games, gamers. This year? It's all about the gamers.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will watch the ads

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Silksong cant even get a joke mention in "Games we might see", very sad

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I can't wait to spend days watching game reveals only to immediately forget all but one or two of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm excited for the 2-3 surprise announcements and the fortnite announcements.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

sirtommygunn posted:

I can't wait to spend days watching game reveals only to immediately forget all but one or two of them.

i feel bad for like the wholesome games direct, like as an indie you gotta get some "mindshare" or whatever but that's the one that blends together the most with like 70 games

i guess last year the pc gaming show had like 20 boomer shooters that looked similar too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its my favorite time of the year, gamer christmas 🥹

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will watch the ads

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

geoff keighley's birthday party (1 of 2)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snooze Cruise posted:

This

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Looking forward to drowning out 99% of what's happening in the hopes of hearing more about Nivalis and Wandering Sword.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Request to put https://www.gamesrecap.io in the op a very handy resource for keeping track of every trailer and event

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Best part about only playing on PC these days is basically anything announced I'll get to play eventually so tuning in to all of these disparate conferences is that much more fun.

Also the next game from the folks what made Citizen Sleeper is apparently going to be announced/teased/whatever on the 11th and I'm excited to see what it is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Request to put https://www.gamesrecap.io in the op a very handy resource for keeping track of every trailer and event
Done!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Devolver Direct (TBA)

Just show games please. Your shtick is boring now.

Finally, someone said it. It was cute the first couple of times, now knock it off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here's the State of Play youtube embed. Starts in 5 hours, but the disappointment will last a lot longer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4EKydVVvHk

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

video games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cant wait to see all the video games #videogames

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Please be good videogemas are all I have

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

excited to see the games

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

:dance:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate watching ads, but I love jeering at live events, I don't know what to do

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I miss the weird skits and sets before the actual game anouncements, 2 minute sitar concerts before some Uncharted game and hanging up a bunch of zombies up in front of the stage to moan and grumble before talking about Day's Gone. It was good fodder for the chat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I miss Ubisoft attempting to murder me every year with purestrain second-hand embarassment, just an assault of colors and dancing and entirely too french EDM.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

I miss Ubisoft attempting to murder me every year with purestrain second-hand embarassment, just an assault of colors and dancing and entirely too french EDM.

can't wait to see a bunch of games about climbing towers to mark locations on a map

no wait zelda already came out

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

game videos

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every presentation opens in entirely empty auditoriums because everybody is at home playing Tears of the Kingdom. The presenters on stage are sitting down with their backs to the camera, the demo discs on the floor beside them while they play Tears of the Kingdom instead.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Every presentation opens in entirely empty auditoriums because everybody is at home playing Tears of the Kingdom. The presenters on stage are sitting down with their backs to the camera, the demo discs on the floor beside them while they play Tears of the Kingdom instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QEqmwqcSo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Floor is lava posted:

can't wait to see a bunch of games about climbing towers to mark locations on a map

hey that's not entirely fair to ubisoft, they also always had a bunch of motion control bullshit that about 80% worked

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Floor is lava posted:

in this one the towers shoot you high up into the sky from the ground floor instead

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

legends tell of a smoking hot map completion achievement at the top of the tower...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That moment where he registers that he hasn't really heard a word the guy said because he was too wrapped up in the game :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It is beginning...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hoping for a successor to Tail of the Sun, Jumping Flash and Aquanaut's Holiday op

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's 4:01 sony you hacks where the video games at

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my god... is that... a video game????

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this is ubisoft as poo poo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watchdogs?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sweet, a game from a big super-rich corporation telling me how they're just like me and hate the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God it's going to be a multiplayer bullshit thing?

:sigh: