Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

euphronius posted:

he looks really old for 45

He's on the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Coolness Averted posted:

If it makes you feel any better I can almost guarantee those chemicals are poisoning the folks taking them. So many of these startups are run by techbros and disruptors who don't let silly things like CGMPs stop them.

I've been updating an endocrine disruptor flag system at a big chemical distributor and it's loving bleak how many customers are refusing to comply with "Hey the EPA says you can't use the following chemicals in ways that would poison people/the environment. We sell you chemicals that could. Please sign here to acknowledge we have informed you."

One weird trick: Cover your eyes as you pass the posted speed limit and the cop can't give you a ticket! Regulators hate it!

Soothsayers and conmen selling anti-aging cocktails to nobles and emperors that turn out to be poisonous has a long and storied history.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

He's on the left.

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

skooma512 posted:

Soothsayers and conmen selling anti-aging cocktails to nobles and emperors that turn out to be poisonous has a long and storied history.

Don't believe the sign. The rich are trying to keep all that precious life-extending mercury for themselves.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Christ that's so goddamn weird.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Yeah seriously if you're going to have a blood boy don't get everything complicated by having them actually related to you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Alucard posted:

Yeah seriously if you're going to have a blood boy don't get everything complicated by having them actually related to you.

lmao at this joker using commoner blood

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I feel like using your own kid's blood is the poor, basic "millionaire" option for when you can't afford the blood twink dungeon Thiel has

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

nothing fills me with warmth like knowing that these people know, deep down, that they will eventually die no matter what

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bump_fn posted:

nothing fills me with warmth like knowing that these people know, deep down, that they will eventually die no matter what

they can't take their wealth and power with them past the grave and this terrorizes them

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mortality terrorizes us all

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Antonymous posted:

not me

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I kinda like the concept of young people getting paid premium money to give blood to billionaires. It's easy work at least. Obviously in a perfect world the blood would be used for hospitals and stuff, but this is not the functioning_society.pptx thread

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i'm looking forward to dying, either I stop existing entirely or I help Satan kill god (basically become a jrpg protag). win/win

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A suicide note which read:

Why wait?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Good post/username combo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

jacob's ladder made dying seem scary

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Antonymous posted:

jacob's ladder made dying seem scary

it was his clinging to life as his brain shut down that was scary. Once he accepted what was happening it was serene. The same way aging isn't a hellish nightmare if you're not obsessively burning up every resource including your son to escape it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it was his denial about what the US Government really did

what he needed to do was accept JDPON and he could go to heaven

also he had better chemistry with the demon lady I wish she got to be real

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Antonymous posted:

it was his denial about what the US Government really did

what he needed to do was accept JDPON and he could go to heaven

also he had better chemistry with the demon lady I wish she got to be real

Yeah she was bangin

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I liked Dracula more when it was a metaphor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Antonymous posted:

it doesn’t have to !

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Demilich posted:

There will be png's here at some point, right?
I don't have any :(

This used to be the downtown of thriving village, until a company decided to increase profits by not maintaining their trains, only having 1 engineer, and scheduling so tight that he had to park at the top of a hill when he hit his max hours.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The “young blood transfusion = eternal youth and life” thing isn’t even new. Royalty and nobles for thousands of years used to believe this poo poo too. Techbros think they’ve cracked the code because there’s fancy buzz words to dress it up

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

eternal youth is for rubes, ive been 80 years old my whole life and it owns, sitting in a rocking chair all day and night sometimes eating a werthers

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The “young blood transfusion = eternal youth and life” thing isn’t even new. Royalty and nobles for thousands of years used to believe this poo poo too. Techbros think they’ve cracked the code because there’s fancy buzz words to dress it up

Parabiosis studies in mice (where a young and old mouse share a single circulatory system) definitely have shown anti aging or reversal of aging effects. Whether or not occasional blood plasma transfusions have an effect on us is up for debate. Still these people are definitely hosed in the head using their children as their personal blood bags.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

blatman posted:

eternal youth is for rubes, ive been 80 years old my whole life and it owns, sitting in a rocking chair all day and night sometimes eating a werthers

Being a crotchety old man rules. I don't gotta bother with having cool clothes and I get to yell at squirrels and everyone just smiles instead of worrying whether they should call someone about me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Whooping Crabs posted:

Parabiosis studies in mice (where a young and old mouse share a single circulatory system) definitely have shown anti aging or reversal of aging effects. Whether or not occasional blood plasma transfusions have an effect on us is up for debate. Still these people are definitely hosed in the head using their children as their personal blood bags.

Yeah this is the thing, it gets called "parabiosis", but the only real parabiosis experimentation in humans was done by the likes of Mengele and Unit 751, and was unusable pseudoscientific garbage

Its much more mechanistically plausible that a shared circulatory system between a younger and older animal could benefit the older animal by accessing some of the filtration of those youthful kidneys and liver, the surveillance of their immune system, and the regenerative power of their stockpile of undifferentiated stem cells.

Just giving someone an aliquot of young blood every now and then is very :effort: by comparison.

Hopefully they figure this out and we get to watch a 120 year old Bezos carry around a parasitic twin clone surgically grafted to his back

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

COPE 27 posted:

This used to be the downtown of thriving village, until a company decided to increase profits by not maintaining their trains, only having 1 engineer, and scheduling so tight that he had to park at the top of a hill when he hit his max hours.

It’s alarming how infrequently that gets mentioned despite happening just a decade ago. Same with that gas explosion that leveled the Bay Area suburban block a while back. Or the I-5 bridge collapse in Washington. We don’t want to talk about failing infrastructure

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s alarming how infrequently that gets mentioned despite happening just a decade ago. Same with that gas explosion that leveled the Bay Area suburban block a while back. Or the I-5 bridge collapse in Washington. We don’t want to talk about failing infrastructure
"we did it joe!"

Oh we love talking about failing infrastructure, just in an utterly non-serious manner. This was the bridge that collapsed literally hours before a PR visit biden was in town for in Pittsburgh. It became a big spectacle for his 'you idiots are going to cheer the status quo as revolutionary' tour.
If joe wasn't already there it absolutely would have gotten the East Palestine treatment.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I believe that bridge is rebuilt already

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah it took less than a year to fully replace the Fern Hollow bridge.
imo it wasn't because we solved the US's crumbling infrastructure

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/annatonger/status/1661116069233172507

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the Healthy Terminal Act fee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I hope this guy just happened to have watched it recently and hasn't been referencing Supersize Me for the last like 20 years cuz he loved it so much:

https://twitter.com/simonjlau/status/1661326522819518466

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the supersize me guy didn't disclose that he was an alcoholic and during his mcdonald's stint he also stopped drinking and all his symptoms were consistent with alcohol withdrawl

something like that. SPURLOCK!!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Antonymous posted:

the supersize me guy didn't disclose that he was an alcoholic and during his mcdonald's stint he also stopped drinking and all his symptoms were consistent with alcohol withdrawl

something like that. SPURLOCK!!

Didn't he also eat like 6000 calories worth of McDonalds a day? No poo poo you got fat, Sprulock

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Doctor: Your liver looks like the liver of a lifetime alcoholic after only eating McDonald's for 30 days

quote:

With the #MeToo movement, Spurlock’s reputation has taken a damaging hit. In December 2017, the documentary filmmaker admitted to numerous acts of sexual misconduct while simultaneously admitting he had a history of alcohol abuse. Writing in The Wall Street Journal, documentarian Phelim McAleer points out that Spurlock’s history of alcoholism should call into question the veracity of “Super Size Me.”

After blaming his parents for his bad acts, Mr. Spurlock asked: “Is it because I’ve consistently been drinking since the age of 13? I haven’t been sober for more than a week in 30 years.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

He also did a new documentary where he opened a fast food joint to show how much pressure competition puts on places and he was just as lovely as any of them in terms or sourcing food, false advertising, upping the salt and oil to make it addictive, and treating his employees like subhumans. idk if it was satire he seemed to really follow the capitalist line of thought and present himself as a reformed hippy who has finally ~sold out~

he rode the line too safely for it to be satire though, it wasn't fun or funny or insightful, I think he became a true believer