Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008
So I just got a Ryzen 5 7600 with a MSI Pro B650-P WIFI motherboard.

I've looked around and haven't seen any issues with the MSI products, but looking at the lastest bios update, it's still a beta version. Has anyone heard any issues with the SOC voltages exceeding the cap of 1.3 on this board with EXPO on? Should I just keep EXPO off for now until the update comes out of beta, or am I being too paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The CPU Tdie does indeed tend to be a little hotter than the CCD Tdie on my 7800X3D. Which I guess means the hot spot is somewhere on the I/O die? That seems odd to me, but I guess that's normal?

I have the same thing, 7800x3d with nh-d15s core tempurature maximum never goes above 75, but then ccd1 tdie max will be 6 or 8 degrees higher than that and the cpu tctl/tdie will go into the low 90s but it isn't throttling, coming from intel it's pretty weird, but I keep hearing about how it's normal, I still feel weird about it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Tyrsell posted:

or am I being too paranoid?
IMO you're being paranoid but ultimately its your hardware and your money and there really isn't anything wrong with a little paranoia here since you can still use your system without EXPO or overclocking for now.

The rumors are that almost all the mobo guys will have BIOS'es with AGESA 1.0.0.7 or better over the next month or so anyways so you won't have to wait too much longer most likely if safety is paramount for you.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zen5 loves memory bandwidth, so youre prolly giving up a noteworthy amount of max FPS potential in most games (based on GN's testing)... but i think i would probably leave expo off and just wait myself if i had a Zen5 platform. Its still really fast, and unless you have a 4090 or somethin, you are likely to be GPU limited in most games anyway.

But it is probably fine?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You're a year ahead in your reality.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Final GN video on ASUS dropped, it's a *spicy* one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKzKbqxa0A

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
seemed more medium level hotness, but I suppose I'm satisfied for now, wouldn't say I'm back to previous levels of team asus woo, but at least I'm not stressed about my pc anymore.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Save money, re-use your old mobo!

The only thing to be aware of is that most BIOS updates for 5000-series ryzens on x370/b350 mobos give you a more primitive, text-only BIOS screen. Generally no loss of real functions, but if your current BIOS has a nice GUI for setting fan curves by dragging graph points around with a mouse, it'll be gone. You still have fan control but have to set fan curves by typing in temp & speed numbers.

My B350 board has a GUI that is so ugly and slow this would be an improvement. That said, I upgraded from a 1600 to a 3800X last year so I don't see a point in any future upgrades unless it's a new system.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I took current Microcenter prices and bumped them against the TechPowerUp 4090 1440p FPS average information, sorted by total platform cost per frame.

Note that this uses DDR5 for all Intel parts, which kills the otherwise good value of stuff like the 12400, but thats how TPU ran it so thats how i priced it. I also picked the cheapest board on PCPP that i would actually suggest someone use personally, so YMMV.

7600 non-X offers a pretty good value for a new build with its price cuts. DDR4 is really keeping AM4 in the price competitive game, but a lot of titles were dipping sub-100 FPS in TPUs testing with a 4090 at 1440p. Which uh, is still really good frames and is a good reminder that GPU still matters way more.

Here are the numbers with the current Microcenter AM5 DDR5 bundles which NOTE: IS BAD DATA. The FPS data is at ddr5-6000 and the bundle is ddr5-5600. IT IS BAD. U SHOULD NOT USE TO COMPARE. BAD. YUCK.

Since the 7600X bundle is only a 16gig stick, I added another. The bundle makes the 7700X bundle pretty competitive, too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If this is using micro center bundles, then you should use the full platform bundles when available, some of which use DDR5-6000. Take this one for instance, which is $450 for a 7700X, 32GB of DDR5-6000, and an MSI B650-P Pro: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-build-combo

That'd be $2.10 $/frame, putting it in a pretty good position in the chart. There's also a 13700K for $550 (w/ 32GB DDR5-6000) and a 12700K (w/ only 16GB DDR4-3200), both of which are pretty decent deals. https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294833320/computer-build-bundles

You may not always want those exact motherboards, but the deals are good enough to be worth compromising a little on mobo selection.

edit: if you do include motherboard bundles in any comparison, you'll also have to discount every non-bundled motherboard by $20 since that's the standard cpu+mobo discount at microcenter

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 23, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looking at those charts I’m feeling as good about my 5800x3d as I feel badly about my 3080 10GB.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If this is using micro center bundles, then you should use the full platform bundles when available, some of which use DDR5-6000. Take this one for instance, which is $450 for a 7700X, 32GB of DDR5-6000, and an MSI B650-P Pro: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-build-combo

That'd be $2.10 $/frame, putting it in a pretty good position in the chart. There's also a 13700K for $550 (w/ 32GB DDR5-6000) and a 12700K (w/ only 16GB DDR4-3200), both of which are pretty decent deals. https://www.microcenter.com/category/4294833320/computer-build-bundles

You may not always want those exact motherboards, but the deals are good enough to be worth compromising a little on mobo selection.

Ah those didnt show up on the CPU pages themselves, they only have direct links to the bundles I showed. Didn't know there were more options. But yeah, feel free to calculate the other bundle values as anyone sees fit!

e: ah i see, these are the ones with boards. The ones I listed are the ones that are just straight giving you free ram.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Newegg also had some decent Zen 4 + motherboard combos that weren't quite as good as Micro Centers but were still decent, but it seems they dropped those over the weekend, which is a huge bummer.

edit: They do actually still have this 7600X platform bundle with 32GB of DDR5-6000 and an MSI Pro B650M-A for $422 after applying the coupon code there, which is... decent?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 23, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Looking at those charts I’m feeling as good about my 5800x3d as I feel badly about my 3080 10GB.
I don't think there's any feel good GPU from the past few generations. It's something you need but where every option has its own flaws.

3080 10gb is going to have a reasonable lifespan and at worst you are turning textures down a notch a few years after buying it. People buying 12gb cards today are going to face the exact same problem. 3000 series was a much better buy-in point than 2000 or non-4090 4000 series.

e: this came across more negative than I meant it, my point was 3080 10gb was as good a buy as any. There was no 1080ti-esque winning gpu choice longterm. They're all going to last about the same amount of time & the 4000 series is on the same price:perf curve as the 3000 series so buying in earlier will get more longevity.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 24, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure how I could possibly feel bad about my 3080 10G FE purchased at retail.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

Not sure how I could possibly feel bad about my 3080 10G FE purchased at retail.
Best Buy had a flash sale for the 3080 10GB for $420 a couple months ago that I missed. In retrospect, that was perfect for 1440p gaming.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

I didn't mean it that way. I wish I bought a 3080 10g (or other 3000 series) or higher end amd 6xxx & sold my current gpu back when they came out. The market is at similar price:perf over 2 years later.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 24, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My 6750XT has been giving me issues.

Does anyone have a AMD CPU+dGPU combo (with outputs connected to the dGPU) that doesn't freeze as soon as Windows tries to log in?
When I'm using the iGPU for output with games that support selective rendering, it's working fine - so I don't know if it's PCIe conflicts, or if it's because the dGPU is broken somehow.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah I got a 6800xt with a 7800x3d on a recent clean install of win11 and the GPU drivers 24.4.3.

Works fine on my end.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

My 6750XT has been giving me issues.

Does anyone have a AMD CPU+dGPU combo (with outputs connected to the dGPU) that doesn't freeze as soon as Windows tries to log in?
When I'm using the iGPU for output with games that support selective rendering, it's working fine - so I don't know if it's PCIe conflicts, or if it's because the dGPU is broken somehow.

No issue like that with my 7000 series gpu and 7000 series x3d cpu. I have gone back and forth with iGPU turned on and off in the BIOS and haven't seen that issue in either case.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alright, thanks.

I've printed the label and put the graphics card in the box it came in, so it's being RMA'd today.
I figure it's that which is responsible, because the iGPU works fine (even if it's not made for gaming).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty happy about my 5800X3D / 3080 10GB combo. I don't care about ultra graphics or ray tracing anyway.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Wibla posted:

Pretty happy about my 5800X3D / 3080 10GB combo. I don't care about ultra graphics or ray tracing anyway.

Don't let the doomsayers get to you, it's still a mighty capable system that'll last you a while. Poor performance at 10GB of memory is not a GPU problem it is a lovely PC port problem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Don't let the doomsayers get to you, it's still a mighty capable system that'll last you a while. Poor performance at 10GB of memory is not a GPU problem it is a lovely PC port problem.

Tbf the reason behind buying a 5800x3d and 3080 or better GPU is to be able to handle lovely PC ports.

As well as broken map games, whether because you broke it through mobs or it was broken out of the box…

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I haven't really been paying attention to comp hardware for a bit, would the 5800x3D be a "good final update" to my AM4 PC? Its got a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RX 6800 in a B550-Plus right now. It should just be drop-in (after maybe a bios update), right?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to comp hardware for a bit, would the 5800x3D be a "good final update" to my AM4 PC? Its got a Ryzen 5 3600 and a RX 6800 in a B550-Plus right now. It should just be drop-in (after maybe a bios update), right?

You can drop it in, yes. It's a nice upgrade.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yes and yes :sun:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
haha Okay, easy enough!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ChiTownEddie posted:

haha Okay, easy enough!

Just be sure you have an up to date BIOS or the 5800x3d will be seriously nerfed. It will work, just not very well without the update.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ChiTownEddie posted:

What's your use-case? For gaming the 5800x3d will be an unbeatable bang/buck deal. Fewer productivity tasks benefit from the extra cache as much as gaming does; the 5900x seems to sell for the same price so it's extra codes may or may not be better, depending on your tasks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pablo Bluth posted:

What's your use-case? For gaming the 5800x3d will be an unbeatable bang/buck deal. Fewer productivity tasks benefit from the extra cache as much as gaming does; the 5900x seems to sell for the same price so it's extra codes may or may not be better, depending on your tasks.

Entirely gaming! Civ, Diablo 4, wanna play the Jedi games...etc

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the 5800X3D is awesome, but you might want to double check if you have sufficient cooling for it

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

seems like most 5800X3D chips should be able to take a -15 (if not -20) offset in curve optimizer so i wouldn't over-worry about cooling

lots of folks seem to be able to get -30 without issue, myself included

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I tried -25 and got a BSOD that I didn't want to spend time investigating, so I backed off to -15, haven't had any issues since.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Wibla posted:

It's a mighty combo and I didn't pay over retail for them.

I undervolt them both, -30 on the 5800x3d tests stable on corecycler and other stuff

Turns out my real issue all along was failing ram so I replaced that and I hope this build lasts awhile, I get few AAA games and play a good amount of 4x, sim, indie jank and also rocket league which doesn't require much GPU

Some stuff won't do 165fps ultra wide at ultra settings , but I can at least get 90-120 high on most things

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure I managed to get a DOA 6750XT, because after borrowing a known-good GTX970 and even verifying with my own GTX1060 6GB (which I thought I had tested with, and found to be dead, which I must be misremembering), I'm pretty sure that's the only explanation that fits all the facts.
Then again, considering I managed to avoid all the other headaches of a new platform, I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Talking of PBO2, I assume people are doing per-core PBO2?
Seems like you can't just universally apply a CPU-wide overclock on 8 completely different cores.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Since Zen5 looks to be getting a X3D CPU too, and AM5 should be used for Zen5, there's the possibility of somewhat of an upgrade path too.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 26, 2023

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Since Zen5 looks to be getting a X3D CPU too, and AM5 should be used for Zen5, there's the possibility of somewhat of an upgrade path too.

Their system is AM4. 5800X3D will be the final CPU they use with that motherboard and RAM if they choose to upgrade. AM5 is not backwards compatible.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Alzion posted:

Their system is AM4. 5800X3D will be the final CPU they use with that motherboard and RAM if they choose to upgrade. AM5 is not backwards compatible.

Yeah, that's the key. A final update before a full rebuild. Sounds like it's a pretty universal recommendation from here too!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah, that's the key. A final update before a full rebuild. Sounds like it's a pretty universal recommendation from here too!

Lots of us did - myself included. Been really happy with the machine with the 5800X3D paired with a 3080 12GB and 32GB of 3600 CL16 DDR4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I also got 2x16 + 2x32 of DDR4 3200MHz at XMP/DOCP working just fine on AM4 after like 5 minutes of fiddling, not sure I'd want to mess with that on AM5.