Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does a train layout not have public transit?

Freight only. Blame the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Goon rules.

Got a link by chance to see his setup?

It was baronjutter and he had a lot of stuff.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does a train layout not have public transit?

Boomers seem to model 50s nostalgia railroads that are all freight trains or private railroad, instead of like a city light rail.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Deeters posted:

It was baronjutter and he had a lot of stuff.

Boomers seem to model 50s nostalgia railroads that are all freight trains or private railroad, instead of like a city light rail.

Pro-click, his work is incredible. Love seeing the modern bay window on the side of the old building, plus the graffiti on the trains. Nice little touches.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

the problem with trains is I kinda have wanted to build one, but the turbo train nerds will absolutely demolish me if I dare to use an unrealistic wheel arrangement or boiler or whatever the gently caress is a relevant important detail.

Didn't you do a train/tunnel thing and we loved it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Pro-click, his work is incredible. Love seeing the modern bay window on the side of the old building, plus the graffiti on the trains. Nice little touches.

IIRC graffiti on freight cars is another thing that ticks off old model train dudes

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Can’t imagine anything more lame than having any kind of emotional reaction to how someone builds a model train

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would absolutely get into grungy urban model train setups if I had the space and money :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stop buying lego and you'd have plenty of cash!

The best part of model trains is the folks that make stuff out of random crap you can find around the house or the hardware store. Sure you can buy purpose made scale props but making something from nothing is way cooler to me.

The space issue, can't help you there. Though my grandpa did have a solution for that, he bolted some hinges to the wall and mounted a 4x8 sheet of plywood on it. When he wasn't working on it he could fold it up out of the way. It wasn't the most over the top display but it was enough for him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

The best part of model trains is the folks that make stuff out of random crap you can find around the house or the hardware store. Sure you can buy purpose made scale props but making something from nothing is way cooler to me.

The space issue, can't help you there. Though my grandpa did have a solution for that, he bolted some hinges to the wall and mounted a 4x8 sheet of plywood on it. When he wasn't working on it he could fold it up out of the way. It wasn't the most over the top display but it was enough for him.

Oh yeah we made a hillside from soaking paper towels in plaster and painting it brown

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

xzzy posted:

I don't actually buy much Lego. Warhams are my vice of choice, but even then I'm firmly in "yes but do I NEED it/will I PAINT it" territory.

But drat if I can't see myself in 20 years being an old man with an elaborate train set.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't you do a train/tunnel thing and we loved it?
't'weren't I

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I remember someone in this thread doing a tiny micro scale train and it looking pretty cool. But can’t remember how long ago it was.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

't'weren't I

Carbohydrates posted:

2. Steam engine, with x383 as the boiler. Honestly, most of the work on this build went into the train tracks.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh that one. Is it bad that I forget about things I've built sometimes?

Also, Brickset Try Not To Be Terrible People Challenge. Difficulty level: women's football!

https://brickset.com/article/95879/40634-icons-of-play-revealed

Score:

Second post in the comment section!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wow, they were right: The train people are calling them out over the train.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh that one. Is it bad that I forget about things I've built sometimes?

Also, Brickset Try Not To Be Terrible People Challenge. Difficulty level: women's football!

https://brickset.com/article/95879/40634-icons-of-play-revealed

Score:

Second post in the comment section!
*cross fingers* please please be about the trophy podium
"sport"
"energy"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

*cross fingers* please please be about the trophy podium
"sport"
"energy"
That is a valid take actually. Go local sports team!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There are tons of wonderful comments about that set in the reddit thread too. :sigh:

$100 is pretty steep, I might buy one to save for my niece when she's old enough.

BTW: Women's soccer whips rear end, gently caress the haters.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
*checks date*

It's not April 1st.

I'm very confused. That set is real? It looks like a joke.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think it looks cute and would fit in well with a city. I'll probably try to make a modified version of it just with the minifigs we have around. I like the idea of them on little plates instead of standing, I can imagine my kid smacking a ball around with them

edit: also there appears to be a crank mechanism to rotate ads underneath the stands, which is pretty funny

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 25, 2023

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Good selection of hair and faces (hopefully all new prints) but the set's a bit odd. I guess they've tried to get a bunch of features into a reasonably sized set (sports are hard in that regard). I wonder why the players are on little bases?

Train chat:
Steam engines are cool as hell. Electrics and diesels are boring, may as well be modelling a bus.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 25, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would absolutely get into grungy urban model train setups if I had the space and money :allears:

Same. This is why I play SimCity 4 and Cities: Skylines instead. Infinite model train action without need for physical space or continuous spending.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lizard Combatant posted:

Good selection of hair and faces (hopefully all new prints) but the set's a bit odd. I guess they've tried to get a bunch of features into a reasonably sized set (sports are hard in that regard). I wonder why the players are on little bases?

Train chat:
Steam engines are cool as hell. Electrics and diesels are boring, may as well be modelling a bus.

Hell yeah steam engines.

Here’s another winner:

With one of my favorite history stories associated with it, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase

https://youtu.be/IDVUiS37xfE

If you’re gonna steal a train during wartime and do some casual vandalism with it, you can’t pick a cooler looking one than The General.

I’d love a Lego set of that one, too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Train chat:
Bus nerds go almost as hard as train nerds

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Bus nerds go almost as hard as train nerds

Never thought that would be a thing. Always good to have someone on a lower nerd rung though.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
!!!!

$44.99

A bit expensive but at least it's available outside of the shoebox.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Comparing it to the one from the Batcave, they are really close, but not identical. The tips of the wings are slightly different, and the air intake between the wheels aren't the same. Maybe these differences reflect variances between the 89 and 92 movies?

I hope the stand alone version also includes the pop up machine guns because that feature is super cool.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Maybe that one gets sold outside Lego too so you might be able to snag it for a couple bucks cheaper (and the joker fig which also looks distinct from the UCS one)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

deoju posted:

I hope the stand alone version also includes the pop up machine guns because that feature is super cool.
I'd guess that it does since it has a Technic brick and pin in the same spot on the left, ostensibly part of the mechanism used for the guns since it mirrors the gear on the other side of the Batcave one

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That makes sense.

It would be cool if they had done two different play features with the same external appearance. Give one the machine guns and the other this feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3SQQMmGInM&t=222s

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm going to order one of the Bookshop or Assembly Square this week, anyone who has both who can offer some opinions on how rad they are to build? I know theyre both retiring at the end of the year so I'll probably be getting one now and one later in the end anyway

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I'm going to order one of the Bookshop or Assembly Square this week, anyone who has both who can offer some opinions on how rad they are to build? I know theyre both retiring at the end of the year so I'll probably be getting one now and one later in the end anyway

I'm a huge book dude, and love books more than almost anything, but Assembly Square is still the better set. The actual bookshop and the townhouse are really cute, but they're both a little underwhelming compared to just how stacked AS is. If you're only going to buy one, buy AS, but I liked both of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bookshop is bottom tier modular. Assembly square is top of mid tier. IMO.

AS is about to be retired. BS should have never been released. Note: I probably hate the bookshop more than anyone else here. It's very much a reworking of the Pet Store.

I only recommend the BS if you haven't built any other modulars or are a completionist and buy them all. Even this years Jazzclub, which was a disappointment, was better.

To be constructive. the BS is two separate modulars smooshed together and neither is particularly interesting.

Of the currently available modulars I would go:

Boutique Hotel. A masterpiece. Top tier. Arguably the best they've made. Definitely top 3.
Police Station. gently caress the police. Also, this is a great and interesting build.
Assembly Square. It's kind of an homage to all the previous modulars. It has a bunch of neat stuff. Really is a great one.
Jazzclub. It actually looks quite nice but isn't a great set.
Bookshop.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Boutique Hotel. A masterpiece. Top tier. Arguably the best they've made. Definitely top 3.
Police Station. gently caress the police. Also, this is a great and interesting build.
Assembly Square. It's kind of an homage to all the previous modulars. It has a bunch of neat stuff. Really is a great one.
Jazzclub. It actually looks quite nice but isn't a great set.
Bookshop.
I largely agree with this. I might swap Assembly above Police, but you could make the case for either, so I'll just say: good list, just about right on.

edit: I recognize that some of this is personal anti-cop sentiment so ymmv

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
ACAB

Always Clutch All Bricks. ACAB

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Robbers in LEGO land steal cookies and when they're arrested they're fed cookies

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: I recognize that some of this is personal anti-cop sentiment so ymmv

there is only room for one lego cop in my home

thank you folks for the input. looking like Assembly Square will be my next modular

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I don’t have the pet shop, I love birches and book shop was my first modular, and I love it, the townhouse is awesome but I’ll agree it’s not really that detailed inside but i think of all the currently available modulars it’s the nicest.

Assembly square meanwhile is just big and packed with details, like somebody trying to cram as much as possible inside a max cubic space. I’ll agree it’s a great showcase of techniques, ideas and just stuffed with details but in my opinion it feels kind of crammed and all over the place. If I had to sell one of my modulars it’d be the first to go but I can see how people might love assembly square. All the other sets just feel more personal and focused to me imo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I grabbed the Bookshop one with a gift card. I'm gonna make them into bookends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Supposedly this is a promo pic from the small set, neat to see the guns !