Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hooplah posted:

Yeah I mean it’s extremely pretentious with all the metafiction and postmodernist “medium is the message” bs but the actual text/narrative is pretty straightforward

So listen to the audiobook version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Biplane posted:

If my home grew larger on the inside I would simply start subletting immediately. Sigma grindset baby

justin long in barbarian measuring the hidden sex dungeon to see how much value it adds to the house

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dreams In The Witch House, the Musical: "gently caress yooouuu, The House of Leaves, I already did it, you're ripping me off"

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

justin long in barbarian measuring the hidden sex dungeon to see how much value it adds to the house
That was so good

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cocaine Bear posted:

So listen to the audiobook version?

That would be great if it actually existed. It's a decent story trying to be the great american novel so they threw in wacky typesetting and an alphabetical listing of every woman the author self insert ever hosed but deep down inside he just wants a surrogate mommy.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

bawk posted:

House of Leaves was a real good read, enjoyed it a lot. If you want incomprehensible, check out Only Revolutions by the same author. Still have no clue what the gently caress that book is about

The only book I own that I just can't finish

I did get 2 song titles out of it, for a harsh noise project, though, so not a total waste...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think you could make a decent mockumentary of the Navidson Record itself, and scrub away all the metatextual stuff.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm glad I read it

It was cute to find a mirror to read parts of it

I got a guitar out and played the music

The house and framing device was effectively spooky

I choose not to analyse it deeper than surface level and believe that is the right choice

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

hazardousmouse posted:

1/3 of it is real good. the 2/3 in the "present" are boring as poo poo

I kinda enjoyed the "present" stuff. I think the trick is to not read it too closely and just rely on it for vibes. The contrast between the main narrative being this clean prose recounting a series of events that happened to this family and the "present" narrative being this one increasingly deranged lunatic digging through notes in boxes was pretty funny. It worked for setting the tone and maintaining tension. Like having a weird darkness clawing at the fringes of the story, which was the point I suppose

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
that book is amazing if you have 24 hours of desk duty and someone to bounce ideas off of

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The only thing i retained from house of leaves is the joke about the monks which is one of the 3 jokes i can remember at a given point in time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Post the joke

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Post the joke

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

is this some sort of redditor book

100%

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

hazardousmouse posted:

1/3 of it is real good. the 2/3 in the "present" are boring as poo poo

:hmmyes:

hosed up house? Descent into madness? Awesome.

Some douchebag on a motorbike? Borrrrrrrrrrrrrring

edit: I honestly can't remember if he was on a motorbike but that's how I remember that character.

Gravitas Shortfall has a new favorite as of 10:05 on May 25, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He talks a lot about how he wants to gently caress a stripper.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1661632018021511169

https://i.imgur.com/K0cZjo3.mp4

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Luke 23:15 - "monks must remain celebrate"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yoinked to the byob super powers with upsetting side effects thread.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

bike tory posted:

I shan't be explaining this one for the non NZers

poo poo it me

in fact the last grocery run resulted in a can of that and a bottle of L&P

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
does it taste like Josta? if so I'm on board.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

finally some myhouse.wad memes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

does it taste like Josta? if so I'm on board.

All together now: What's Josta?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

it's josta few inches

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

zoux posted:

Nothing much

What's Josta with you?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

zoux posted:

Josta deez nuts

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:haw:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

zoux posted:

Josta innocent men

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

House of Leaves is worth reading, Only Revolutions is not, The 50 Year Sword is good. I have not read anything else by the author.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Is the prose MEANT to be written so...idk, sloppily? Like, the grammar, word pattern, flow, whatever you want to call it feels like it's a 13 year old's essay.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the prose MEANT to be written so...idk, sloppily? Like, the grammar, word pattern, flow, whatever you want to call it feels like it's a 13 year old's essay.

Yes, that page is all intended to be in the voice of a person who is not of high intellect

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also how my posting is intended

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chintu you son of a bitch

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

From what I remember on the book, it bounces between 3 or so characters. So it goes back and forth in tone constantly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kdrudy posted:

Chintu you son of a bitch

This is my new favorite description of the book as a whole ty

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

thalweg posted:

The only thing i retained from house of leaves is the joke about the monks which is one of the 3 jokes i can remember at a given point in time

That's a terrible joke though - if you want a joke to fill a brain-slot why not one from the great, sadly departed, Barry Cryer

quote:

Three guys are walking through the woods when they find a lamp. One of them picks it up, rubs it, and out pops a Genie. It booms "You have finally freed me after all these years, so I grant each one of you 3 wishes." The first guy immediately blurts out "I want a billion dollars." POOF, he's holding a printout that shows his account balance is now in fact $1,000,000,003.50. The second man thinks for a bit, then says "I want to be the richest man alive." POOF, he's holding papers showing his net worth is now well over 100 billion. The third guy thinks even longer about his wish, then says "l want my left arm to rotate clockwise for the rest of my life." POOF, his arm starts rotating.

The Genie tells them it's time for their second wish. First guy says: "I want to be married to the most beautiful woman on earth." POOF, a stunning beauty wraps herself around his arm. Second guy says "I want to be good-looking and charismatic, so I can have every girl I want." POOF, his looks change and the first guy's wife immediately starts flirting with him. Third guy says "l want my right arm to rotate counter-clockwise until I die." POOF, now both his arms are rotating, in opposite directions.

The genie tells them to think very carefully about their third wish. First guy does, and after a while says "I never want to become sick or injured, I want to stay healthy until I die." POOF, his complexion improves, his acne is gone and his knees don't bother him any more. Second guy says "I never want to grow old. I want to stay 29 forever." POOF, he looks younger already. Third guy smiles triumphantly and says "My last wish is for my head to nod back and forth." POOF, he's now nodding his head and still flailing his arms around. The genie wishes them good luck, disappears, and the men soon go their separate ways.

Many years later they meet again and chat about how things have been going. First guy is ecstatic: "I've invested the money and multiplied it many times over, so me and my family will be among the richest of the rich pretty much forever. My wife is a freak in the sheets, and I've never gotten so much as a cold in all these years." Second guy smiles and says "Well, I built charities worldwide with a fraction of my wealth, I'm still the richest guy alive and also revered for my good deeds. I haven't aged a day since we last met, and yes, your wife is pretty wild in bed." Third guy walks in, flailing his arms around and nodding his head, and says: "Guys, I think I hosed up."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/kornpixie420/status/1661151480949379073

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's a terrible joke though - if you want a joke to fill a brain-slot why not one from the great, sadly departed, Barry Cryer

The first time I read that joke I had an asthma attack from laughing so hard