Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Trump's got the one thing all these guys (including DeSantis) wish they had, which is complete and utter confidence. DeSantis is their reality, a red faced guy in a polo shirt who despite their efforts knows that everyone can see and laugh at their insecurities and failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So dos Ron know that Elon can't constitutionally be his running mate?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
DAV is making a push on that survivor's benefits bill I've been keeping my eye on.

https://dav.quorum.us/campaign/48272/

I'd appreciate it if you guys could bug your senators about it.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Trump also had a huge advantage since he had effectively been campaigning since the 80s, at least. He had his own show, he had guest appearances on sitcoms and movies, his name was plastered all over the place. Presidential elections are almost 100% popularity contests and I'm pretty convinced that any major celebrity could do what Trump did, which is terrifying if you think about it for a minute.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cool Dad posted:

Trump also had a huge advantage since he had effectively been campaigning since the 80s, at least. He had his own show, he had guest appearances on sitcoms and movies, his name was plastered all over the place. Presidential elections are almost 100% popularity contests and I'm pretty convinced that any major celebrity could do what Trump did, which is terrifying if you think about it for a minute.

Oh gently caress Johnny Knoxville is gonna be president

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

That Works posted:

He'd be your Zelensky. Realtalk I kinda want that for you's

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

This would be amazing

Or Pete Davidson getting in by virtue of being unconventional looking but still getting with all the hottest models, consensually and then being our zelensky

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

He’s low key smart as heck, he’s read a ton more than I have:

From 2002:

quote:

Meet Jackass the Sophisticated Dude; You Want Rowdy and Moronic? Johnny Knoxville Is Poised and Bookish, if You Please

Mr. Knoxville sipped a 1999 Baron'arques. He folded his napkin on his lap. He chose the correct fork.

He murmured ''merci,'' after the waiter, in black tie, recited the menu du jour to him in French. He took a polite bite of the house specialty cuisses de grenouille and did not spit out his escargots or gargle his ris de veau.

The much-concussed 31-year-old drama-school dropout, who was knocked unconscious by a 320-pound professional boxer named Butterbean in one segment of the movie and strapped rockets to his roller skates in another, prefers Flannery O'Connor to Hemingway (''too macho'').

quote:

When asked about Amsterdam, he described the Van Gogh Museum, not the legal marijuana bars. ''Pot makes me dizzy,'' he confided. In Paris, he prefers the Rodin Museum.

Giuseppe Tornatore's ''Cinema Paradiso'' and ''A Face in the Crowd,'' a 1957 film directed by Elia Kazan, written by Budd Schulberg and starring Andy Griffith and Lee Remick, are two of his favorite films.

He apologized for being late and confessed he jumped out of his limousine and ran nine blocks to avoid being any later.

quote:

Mr. Knoxville's shamefully bookish side has been a closely held secret. Midway through the meal, a middle-aged gentleman at the next table, taking furtive advantage of his elegant companion's retreat to the ladies' room, leaned over and said how much he and his nephews had enjoyed ''Jackass.'' Mr. Knoxville looked pleased and grateful. When the man said he had seen it in Albany, Mr. Knoxville nodded appreciatively and tossed out a name that sounded like Jimmy Fallon.

Asked to explain that ''Saturday Night Live'' comedian's link to Albany, Mr. Knoxville looked down and diffidently explained he had actually said ''Billy Phelan,'' a principal character from the novelist William Kennedy's Albany cycle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/04/...&smid=url-share

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That’s pretty cool

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/VoteDarkBrandon/status/1661500409314246659?t=A40Drt5WT3HUwVWCSZi9Hw&s=19

Didn't realize there's a Dark Brandon Twitter account, but I'm here for it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cool Dad posted:

Presidential elections are almost 100% popularity contests and I'm pretty convinced that any major celebrity could do what Trump did, which is terrifying if you think about it for a minute.

Ronald Reagan was an actor first.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
18 years for the fascist poo poo, not too far from the 25 that prosecutors wanted.

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-...n-jan-6-attack/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Efb - Oath Keeper seditionist conspiracist cyclops got 18 years:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1661782225636175872?t=jSFIlV-jhWcXiDKA-cjF_A&s=19

Before the sentencing he basically said "gently caress you I'm a patriot" clearly angling for a donniepardon and the judge decided "k, terrorism exception added, enjoy your 18"

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Efb - Oath Keeper seditionist conspiracist cyclops got 18 years:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1661782225636175872?t=jSFIlV-jhWcXiDKA-cjF_A&s=19

Before the sentencing he basically said "gently caress you I'm a patriot" clearly angling for a donniepardon and the judge decided "k, terrorism exception added, enjoy your 18"
I just assume all of these shitheads will be out by 2/1/25 and will be pleasantly surprised if they are not.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

I just assume all of these shitheads will be out by 2/1/25 and will be pleasantly surprised if they are not.

It's pretty telling that the worst of the worst have been in pretrial confinement for a while and Donnie/Ron/et al only ever refer to the randos with light sentences in a broad "government overcharging these poor peoplr" whine. The real bad ones might not get pardoned.

Or might get parades, who really knows?

https://twitter.com/darth/status/1661787678843731969?t=-OJYGgMxvPnxNaLz-T8-nw&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

No we still need President Schwarzenegger

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I could also see Donnie thinking these guys are losers who got caught and leaving them to rot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

So dos Ron know that Elon can't constitutionally be his running mate?

He thinks that they can just pencilwhip that clause out of existence like Florida did with the “resign to run” rule.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He's not eligible otherwise he would have already ran and won.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MAKE HIM ELIGIBLE

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hes a staunch Republican, by which I mean he's probably on the left edge of the Republican party. His social values are extremely progressive/libertarian and he's pro business.

I still like him a lot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Better Knoxville than Bam. Everything I’ve read suggests that most of the Jackass crew ended up being good dudes- Wee-Man is beloved by his neighbors, Steve-O got clean and helps other people in recovery, etc. Bam is a huge piece of poo poo who recently was filmed drunkenly yelling at his family in a restaurant and had a warrant out for his arrest for assaulting his brother, IIRC.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Better Knoxville than Bam. Everything I’ve read suggests that most of the Jackass crew ended up being good dudes- Wee-Man is beloved by his neighbors, Steve-O got clean and helps other people in recovery, etc. Bam is a huge piece of poo poo who recently was filmed drunkenly yelling at his family in a restaurant and had a warrant out for his arrest for assaulting his brother, IIRC.

Yeah glad Steve-O got it together. He had an interview where he mentioned everyone wanted Bam in the newest movie & all he had to do was not come to the set bombed out of his mind & couldn’t manage it. Even Tom Sizemore stayed sober for Saving Private Ryan.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's pretty hosed if the special counsel wants to charge him in the classified documents case - plenty of eyewitness testimony and funny timing that should pretty clearly cover obstruction charges.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1661795852971638790?t=WDLlYySoEssYXiTtc6p4FA&s=19

And yeah, Bam got arrested recently after running away from the cops and into a forest, so that's still not going well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Don't forget him getting the boot from Jackass Forever for being methed up, then trying to sue them

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bam needs serious mental health and medication, and something for him to hold himself accountable. Besides whatever poo poo he got from his upbringing (and we all get baggage) he has the double whammy of TBI and Chronic Pain, which is enough to make most people act a fool. Couple that with (his own admission) that he never processed Ryan Dunn's death. Becoming famous young wasn't good for him or to him, either, and amplified any issues.

I'm glad most of the Jackass crew came out the otherside ok. I just wish Bam could get himself right- not for my own entertainment, but because dude got physically hosed up for our enjoyment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Google cofounder Larry Page cannot be found:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12058017/The-Virgin-islands-locate-Google-founder-Larry-Page.html

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Paging Larry to the courthouse, please :dadjoke:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/francisxwolf/status/1661519384953729026

Elon wishes he could post like this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

As I said, endless pantsing from perhaps the most merciless man alive.

Luckily, Elon has his very own platform on which he can do this and oh wait.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Last time I saw a launch this bad Johnny Silverhand was in it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's pretty hosed if the special counsel wants to charge him in the classified documents case - plenty of eyewitness testimony and funny timing that should pretty clearly cover obstruction charges.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1661795852971638790?t=WDLlYySoEssYXiTtc6p4FA&s=19

And yeah, Bam got arrested recently after running away from the cops and into a forest, so that's still not going well.

So is the best case here for 2024 that Trumpy Bear gets got on any of the charges, DeSantis has a meltdown and implodes himself out of the race, and Other goes up against Biden?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If you get rid of Trump, who is even a serious contender? Does anyone really think DeSantis has what it takes to run a serious campaign?

Outside of into the ground, I mean.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/occupydemocrats/status/1661816440197103621?s=46&t=SkW94bDM2QmmLP6FBxgJMw

Not any great sources on this yet but claims here should be easily verifiable eventually so would be a little surprised if its fabricated.

tl;dr

quote:

it's revealed that her son called 911 back in December to report his father for physically abusing him by "throwing" him around the house.

During the call, the boy was frantically sobbing, gasping to get air, and struggled to speak while explaining how his violent father was "throwing me around." He said "I don't think" that he'd "use" his weapons on him and added about the abuse: "He just does this to me so much."

Minutes after the emergency call ended, while police were en route to the house, the teenager called 911 again to retract his accusations. Lauren Boebert hopped on the call to insist that the boy "doesn't need help."

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Zamujasa posted:

If you get rid of Trump, who is even a serious contender? Does anyone really think DeSantis has what it takes to run a serious campaign?

Outside of into the ground, I mean.

Ted Cruz will rise to the challenge of being the worst human being in show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My worry is that Tom Cotton steps up as the "sane, stable" R candidate and while he would normally get pantsed by anyone with an ounce of charisma he'd probably dominate Biden on the decaying economy if it continues to get worse by the election.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

So is the best case here for 2024 that Trumpy Bear gets got on any of the charges, DeSantis has a meltdown and implodes himself out of the race, and Other goes up against Biden?

The best point I've seen online today is that most newspapers' conservative columnists represent about 1.5% of the country right now.

There probably is no "Other". A majority of the Republican Primary voters have seen what they want and don't want a Lite version of it, or someone saying that it's bad. They'd vote for him in the primary just so he could potentially get elected and pardon himself to get out of prison. There's a majority of trumper votes in the primary, so it's basically cult poo poo. All the others are just competing to split the "Other" vote and/or spend down their campaign accounts and/or get to fundraise and spend their money.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

No.

The best case doesn’t have Biden in the race.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

No.

The best case doesn’t have Biden in the race.

Just remember, if anything happens close to the primary dates, Robert F. Kennedy is the non-Kamala candidate.

and for content:

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1661849236315439104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Was just reading something about how Johnny Knoxville is apparently low key super smart. Knoxville as President, I mean, folks could do/have done worse.