Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

That's my neck of the woods and I sailed out of that marina last summer. That ship gets COVERED in birds and bird poo poo - just an unbelievable amount of poo poo - and the smell that comes with it is impressive. And yeah, that was clearly filmed out of season because we're only on the water April-October and it's completely packed otherwise.

Obviously it could be anything, but is it a sour, chemically smell? My first thought is that you've probably found some heroin my man. I haven't seen any in a pill bottle but weirder things have happened.

There were a bunch of birds on it when I was there the other day, and yeah, I can only imagine. The smell of (probably) cormorant poo poo can be pretty over powering going over the skyway in Hamilton, but then again, maybe its just Hamilton I'm smelling.

When I opened the pill bottle, it smelled a little bit like beer I guess. I tried sniffing a few times (sniffing, not snorting) after that and don't recall any specific smell, chemical or otherwise, just that initial smell like beer.

I know littering isn't good or whatever, but I left it where I found it (in the water). Could still be floating to this day.

And now a bunch of goons from TCC are buying inflatables at Canadian Tire and scouring the waters of Lake Ontario.....

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
How terrible an idea is it to buy my first boat on the wrong lake and do a 5 day sail to get it home? This would be Lake Huron -> Lake Ontario. I might be able to get a friend to help out.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

How terrible an idea is it to buy my first boat on the wrong lake and do a 5 day sail to get it home? This would be Lake Huron -> Lake Ontario. I might be able to get a friend to help out.

This seems like a terrible, terrible idea, unless you're very experienced with sailing (experienced enough that you wouldn't need to ask this question)

5 days feels pretty tight depending on where you are - the welland canal alone is a full day, and I haven't planned it before but lake erie seems like at least a few days even without stopping - and 24 hour sailing as a novice (especially potentially without crew!!) is a bad idea.

For the canal as well, you'll need 3 crew members if you're heading upwards, and your mast stepped to even do it in the first place.

Also, forget anything you read about lake sailing when dealing with the great lakes, they can be very rough, and you can never assume that you are going to have a 5 day weather window that works for you, doubly so if you're not hugging the shore and prepared to stop at a marina and wait out the weather.

Furthermore, if you're just getting this boat, there's almost definitely going to be some surprises to deal with and the worst place to learn about those surprises is on a passage (does your VHF work reliably? Does the boat take on water? Are the sails serviceable? Does your bilge pump work properly? Is all your rigging in good working order? How long can the engine go without issues?)

This is a big enough passage that I would take a couple of weeks preparing for even with my own boat that's a known quantity and in good condition.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 23, 2023

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
My spouse took a dinghy sailing class this weekend and loved it, she wants to sail more, and immediately got an invite from people in the club to go out this week.

One of our neighbors used to be involved in the club, and had offered to give us a boat and trailer earlier in the year. I went out and looked at the two boats he had today, one was a Holder 20 in decent shape, and the other was a Wayfarer with a glass hull, metal mast, and a wooden deck and seats. The hull is in great shape, but all the wood has used up varnish, and there are some spots on the deck where a woodpecker seems to have tried to find bugs in it. I've built, refinished, and repaired wooden kayaks and canoes before, and nothing looked structural, so I think I'm going to take on the Wayfarer. The Holder sounds like a little too much of a handful to sail right now, but I promised to think about it, and maybe take it on in a year or two.

All boat projects stretch out longer then you'd expect, so I'm not even sure I should venture a guess about how long I'll be at it. Luckily, the oars, sails, rigging, and seats have all been indoors, so there shouldn't be too much to do there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Lol this is a horrible idea unless you're the type that likes living on the edge or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get the rig inspected and go buy a new handheld VHF radio, live to tell the tale

As some guy said when I asked if his used sailboat was reliable, "it has a very long track record of not sinking"

The biggest issue with this plan is the rig has probably been rusting in place and while it's safe enough sitting in the marina, it hadn't seen the true dynamic stresses a rig typically sees during sailing. Opinions differ but they say you should replace the standing rigging every 7-15 years most saying 10-12; most boats in the marina are probably double that

The rudder has the same problem but they typically are so grossly overbuilt they rarely fail especially if it's not a performance boat

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've been boating most of my life on lakes in the midwest and last year we bought our first boat (19ft yamaha) and have been to a few smallish lakes around us in SE Michigan. I want to get out and explore a little on some larger lakes, Lake St Clair, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie. My wife and I are both in aviation and are great at watching the weather and forecasts, and also fairly risk adverse. What are some good resources for learning about weather patterns and forecasts that lead to lovely water conditions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats on the boat

Looking at Yamahas website that looks like a day use boat unless you're packing a camping tent for island use or something

You're probably not going to find a lot of books on weather for amateur boaters. Boating has what's called a "six pack license" which is sort of the lowest commercial captains license for small time charter boat offshore fishing boats and other very small businesses. You might find some FAA level information there

The big thing to watch out for is extended winds in one direction, particularly in the long direction of the lake. Boating off the coast of Chicago on the south end of lake Michigan, with 15-20mph winds coming out of the north for 100+ miles is going to create some gnarly waves

I used to boat on eagle mountain lake outside of fort worth, and if the wind kicked up to 20mph out of the north we'd see 4' chop and that was a pretty short lake, couple of miles

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I'll take a look. We aren't planning on long trips or overnight stuff. Our typical day is cruise around for a while, jump out and swim around, cruise around, rinse/repeat until we've had enough and put it back on the trailer.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I'll take a look. We aren't planning on long trips or overnight stuff. Our typical day is cruise around for a while, jump out and swim around, cruise around, rinse/repeat until we've had enough and put it back on the trailer.

If either of you are aviation qualified, day sailing under power shares a ton of history. Should knot be a problem

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

enki42 posted:

This seems like a terrible, terrible idea, unless you're very experienced with sailing (experienced enough that you wouldn't need to ask this question)

5 days feels pretty tight depending on where you are - the welland canal alone is a full day, and I haven't planned it before but lake erie seems like at least a few days even without stopping - and 24 hour sailing as a novice (especially potentially without crew!!) is a bad idea.

For the canal as well, you'll need 3 crew members if you're heading upwards, and your mast stepped to even do it in the first place.

Also, forget anything you read about lake sailing when dealing with the great lakes, they can be very rough, and you can never assume that you are going to have a 5 day weather window that works for you, doubly so if you're not hugging the shore and prepared to stop at a marina and wait out the weather.

Furthermore, if you're just getting this boat, there's almost definitely going to be some surprises to deal with and the worst place to learn about those surprises is on a passage (does your VHF work reliably? Does the boat take on water? Are the sails serviceable? Does your bilge pump work properly? Is all your rigging in good working order? How long can the engine go without issues?)

This is a big enough passage that I would take a couple of weeks preparing for even with my own boat that's a known quantity and in good condition.

The only reason I'm considering it is because there are some cool botes up there and prices are generally better, too. I'd be totally fine with coast-hugging and chilling out in Port Elgin or something if the weather sucks, and can take enough time off this summer to make it happen, even if I have to sail it on Huron for a while to learn its quirks.

That being said, after doing some reading it looks like Welland would be the worst part and maybe enough to dissuade me (though I'm p sure the mast doesn't need to be stepped at any point).

edit: gaze upon the majesty of a proper Canadian boat

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 24, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Sorry, I was wrong about mast stepping, must have been confusing it with Oswego.

It's a cute boat from the outside, and the hull seems to be in good condition, but there's no way from those pictures to evaluate the state of the engine, water in the bilge, rigging, sails, etc. I would say at an absolute minimum have a very thorough survey done (not an insurance one), a sea trial, and plan on spending a week with it before departing even if everything seems good - there will undoubtedly be some work to do, and I personally would want to do at least a few sails close to a known home marina to evaluate how it performs on the water before departing. That's also assuming that you have experience with sailing boats this size and some maintenance experience - do you? Troubleshooting problems in an unfamiliar marina without either familiarity with the boat or general maintenance skills is a great way to get stuck for a while.

But more importantly than that, what's the appeal of this boat in particular? 26-27 foot old production boats aren't exactly a rarity on Lake Ontario, and this is a pretty generic listing all things considered. I think there's like 3 or 4 boats for sale in my marina alone that are more or less comparable to this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

On the other hand, it's yellow.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
I guess I should've clarified, that boat has nothing to do with my post, nor am I seriously looking at it. It's just neat.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
Here are a couple of boats that I was looking at more seriously, though. No, I wouldn't buy them sight-unseen or without taking closer looks and surveys where applicable. Yes, there's wide spread of pricing. I'm almost certain to buy something for </=$10k but it's nice to keep options open, especially as there's a possibility of going haflsies with someone.

A Viking 28 for $10k
Pearson Flyer for $10k This one's in Toronto too which is super convenient.
A Viking 34 for $23k
A Tahiti ketch for $40k. Easily my favorite but rather unrealistic.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I was reading about pleasurecraft on the canal recently and saw that up bound craft are limited to certain days of the week, and down bound on others. You also need to do the transit in one day, no stopping for breaks etc..

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Here are a couple of boats that I was looking at more seriously, though. No, I wouldn't buy them sight-unseen or without taking closer looks and surveys where applicable. Yes, there's wide spread of pricing. I'm almost certain to buy something for </=$10k but it's nice to keep options open, especially as there's a possibility of going haflsies with someone.

A Viking 28 for $10k
Pearson Flyer for $10k This one's in Toronto too which is super convenient.
A Viking 34 for $23k
A Tahiti ketch for $40k. Easily my favorite but rather unrealistic.

What are you looking for in a boat? Those smaller ones seem pretty spartan given their size, are you looking to race or cruise primarily?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

For those of you that have boats without a shitter, what do you do for facilities?

As a dong haver, I can hang a leak over the side and not have to worry about it, but as I have had a :females: on board a few times, thats not so easy for her.

I know that at outdoors stores they have these little funnels that Vajayjay havers can use to go when camping while not having to drop their pants or something like that, but thats kinda weird and creepy and unsanitary to expect more than one person to use the same device as my understanding is they have to be put right up against their bits in order to work effectively and not spill anything.

I expect that the right answer is "get a small bucket" but I was wondering if anyone had a more creative solution or if there is a purpose built device for the problem.
I'm not looking to get a full on portable toilet for this thing as I'd have nowhere to store it and if some has to drop a dump, I'd probably just make a beeline for the shore. But something to use to take a leak would be helpful.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

enki42 posted:

What are you looking for in a boat? Those smaller ones seem pretty spartan given their size, are you looking to race or cruise primarily?

In the short term just hang out on the Great Lakes. I don't have a competitive bone in my body so fleet races (and group cruises) are not my thing, but going fast is fun as hell. I don't need superior luxury or anything, just somewhere soft to sit and sleep.

My long term goal is to go trans-Atlantic to visit home on the Baltic and vacation in the Med in 10-15 years, but I can get a boat for that when the time comes.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

For those of you that have boats without a shitter, what do you do for facilities?

As a dong haver, I can hang a leak over the side and not have to worry about it, but as I have had a :females: on board a few times, thats not so easy for her.

I know that at outdoors stores they have these little funnels that Vajayjay havers can use to go when camping while not having to drop their pants or something like that, but thats kinda weird and creepy and unsanitary to expect more than one person to use the same device as my understanding is they have to be put right up against their bits in order to work effectively and not spill anything.

I expect that the right answer is "get a small bucket" but I was wondering if anyone had a more creative solution or if there is a purpose built device for the problem.
I'm not looking to get a full on portable toilet for this thing as I'd have nowhere to store it and if some has to drop a dump, I'd probably just make a beeline for the shore. But something to use to take a leak would be helpful.

Weather permitting, people of all shapes, abilities, and genders are compatible with "it's hot out, I'm going to go for a quick swim" and returning with an empty bladder. Probably at least as sanitary as the toilet at the boat launch*.

*Yes, I'm sure the facilities at Mr. Howell's yacht club are very nice, but non members are probably not allowed to use them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Welcome to the upgrade treadmill, my friend

On a boat (specifically j/24) traditionally I've seen them pee in a standard 3 gallon bucket. And then just toss it overboard. Make sure you remind them to check the wind direction before throwing overboard. For pooping the DIY solution is loosely shredded coconut husk, that's about all I know about it, I didn't buy a boat with a flush toilet on accident

And yeah going overboard for a "swim" is an acceptable solution, the natural bacteria in the lake will make short work of it. Number two is a bigger problem but if you're at least 1000' offshore and not within visual range of a public swimming beach it's probably fine just never tell anyone and deny it ever happened if it comes up

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cat Hatter posted:

Weather permitting, people of all shapes, abilities, and genders are compatible with "it's hot out, I'm going to go for a quick swim" and returning with an empty bladder. Probably at least as sanitary as the toilet at the boat launch*.

*Yes, I'm sure the facilities at Mr. Howell's yacht club are very nice, but non members are probably not allowed to use them.

Most of the places I'm likely to be going for a while at least will have some kind of public bathrooms of...... varying cleanliness levels, but they being typically run by the city will be not terrible. I've definitely pissed in the lake countless times at the various beaches, doing the same thing "yeah, so I'm hot, imma just go in the water for a few minutes", walk out to waist deep water, "cool off" for a minute or two and then walk back to my chair and resume consuming obnoxious quantities of booze.
Currently its a bit cool for doing that here, but as the summer progresses, thats always an option.

Hadlock posted:

On a boat (specifically j/24) traditionally I've seen them pee in a standard 3 gallon bucket. And then just toss it overboard. Make sure you remind them to check the wind direction before throwing overboard. For pooping the DIY solution is loosely shredded coconut husk, that's about all I know about it, I didn't buy a boat with a flush toilet on accident

And yeah going overboard for a "swim" is an acceptable solution, the natural bacteria in the lake will make short work of it. Number two is a bigger problem but if you're at least 1000' offshore and not within visual range of a public swimming beach it's probably fine just never tell anyone and deny it ever happened if it comes up

One thing I plan on doing is figuring out where there are public washrooms close to boat/harbor facilities and marking them on my GPS/fish finder so such situations. In the mean time, I;'ve never done it myself, but I definitely know people who've taken shits in the lake.

Canadian tire has small (8L/2Gallon) buckets, I might just pick up one of those for now. Do your business, dump it overboard, rinse a couple times and let it dry out.
Every so often I'll bleach it or something.

TMI: I have a piss bucket in the back of my work truck and every so often I have to bleach it because it grows "things" in it, even emptying and rinsing daily. Also gets a nice yellow tinge to it around the bottom.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

One thing I plan on doing is figuring out where there are public washrooms close to boat/harbor facilities and marking them on my GPS/fish finder so such situations. In the mean time, I;'ve never done it myself, but I definitely know people who've taken shits in the lake.

If you want to spend a buck, a lot of that info is already available on the Navionics "Boating" app.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Piss buckets should be red or blue, never white

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If you want to spend a buck, look into the Reliance "Luggable Loo" and "Double Doodie" liner bags.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Should piss rags be red white and blue?

At work we use whatever buckets we happen to have on hand for piss.

I've looked at the luggable loo and its too big. Or the versions that I've seen thus far are too big.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hadlock posted:

Is the 1000' a statute? Like the 12-mile-line? Or just a good rule of thumb?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

In the short term just hang out on the Great Lakes. I don't have a competitive bone in my body so fleet races (and group cruises) are not my thing, but going fast is fun as hell. I don't need superior luxury or anything, just somewhere soft to sit and sleep.

My long term goal is to go trans-Atlantic to visit home on the Baltic and vacation in the Med in 10-15 years, but I can get a boat for that when the time comes.

IMO based on what you're saying and the examples you posted, I'd be looking for a C&C, CS or Mirage - they're all racer cruisers from the 80s that are pretty beamy and nice to hang and even overnight in, while being really responsive and easy to handle.

C&C in particular is probably your best bet to source parts and info for on Lake Ontario (they were originally built in Niagara on the Lake and there's still a few spots near there that carry parts). I'm not familiar with the Viking at all but just a plain old C&C 27 (the ones with the Mk1, 2, 3, etc.) are a great boat to start off with.

(Mirage is definitely the odd one out in terms of popularity there, but I have a Mirage 27 and it's amazing and designed by Bob Perry and everyone should have one)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Stay out of Gibraltar, dorks https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1661796922624016384?s=46&t=xNHIXOfh2DxyCf845VtkaQ

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

twitter never disappoints

edit: reuters does not, of course, "call for their extermination" at any point in the article. "Killer whale" is used twice, "orca" is used 7 times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Is the 1000' a statute? Like the 12-mile-line? Or just a good rule of thumb?

1000' is the "there's a good chance it'll either dissolve or float away from other people" totally not a real rule, hadlock rule of thumb

Back in highschool we had on our boat what my dad called "[hadlock] knots" which were weird tangles and also inadvisable to try and replicate

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 26, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sounds more like the Hadlock rule of poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To be fair that could be applied to most of my advice on these here forums

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
I put tires on the trailer and got the Wayfarer home. All of the deck needs to be sanded back and varnished, and there is some woodpecker damage at the front of the cockpit, but it's a free boat. Luckily, all of the wood looks repairable. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do route out and do an inlay into the damaged section of ply, sand it out and fill it with epoxy, or go all out and replace the deck, which looks like a fair amount of disassembly and either chiseling out old glue joints or routing wood out. I'll probably start with something quick, and think about doing a bigger job later. I've got 3 quarts of varnish and a new respirator filter arriving tomorrow, so it'll be a long weekend.

Like everything with old junk, the boat has a title, but the trailer has a story. It looks like a new trailer would $1-2k, so I'm torn on whether to just replace the trailer or fight my way through endless paperwork and police inspections.

The floorboards, hatches, rudder, sails, and other wood are all sitting inside, with the rest of the wood in place, it looks much nicer.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

twitter never disappoints

I wish I was rich

Update on my haulout:

Earlier this week I called the yard and asked the receptionist for their insurance information and was directly transferred to the manager where I was told "I'm so sorry I must not have communicated with the front desk we have you on the schedule!"

So that seemed to work. We'll see!

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I've identified a small air leak from the border of a repair patch on my rib. Do I just patch the patch or remove it and apply a whole new patch :thunk:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

Should piss rags be red white and blue?

At work we use whatever buckets we happen to have on hand for piss.

I've looked at the luggable loo and its too big. Or the versions that I've seen thus far are too big.

There are collapsible ones available.

https://www.amazon.com/TRIPTIPS-Retractable-Portable-Adjustable-Foldable/dp/B09S9SW2VJ

Or, if you don't trust that collapsing mechanism, there's the good old folding chair model too:

https://www.amazon.com/IPXEAD-Portable-Camping-Stainless-Emergency/dp/B097L1DQXP/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Double posting to share this, relevant to past thread title.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Sdj2uZFXlaA

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I took a J/80 out yesterday with my neighbors and their six month old. I didn't want the boom swinging everywhere, so I just put out the jib. The boat performed really well, hitting 4 or 5 kts in a close reach with just the jib. We were going to bring my 16 month old too, but he took a nap at the least opportune time. My wife is really nervous about sailing with him.

Sea lions are hanging out on our dock, we think because of some orca activity in the sound.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Double posting to share this, relevant to past thread title.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Sdj2uZFXlaA

What kinda MPM can that sucker hit?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Zero fuel pressure on ye olde mastercraft ski boat. Not good! Left my multimeter at home so couldn't check to make sure the pump was powered. I'm not even sure where I could test.
gently caress them boats.