Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What was the jenkem situation in prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I'm sure your cousin already told you but the minute you get your new computer one of the first things your should install is an ad blocker like the uBlock Origin browser extension for Chrome or Firefox or whatever you use. So much of the internet is just wall to wall ads and pop ups that it's almost unbelievable.

You mentioned you like food, if you like to cook there's a lot of really great blogs and websites out there for just about every cuisine you can imagine. If you've ever been even remotely curious about how to make certain dishes there's no shortage of recipes out there. Really helps cut down on the salt you get from takeout by making it yourself. The caveat is that due to the whole ads / monetization thing often you'll find recipes with overlong stories so they show up high in Google search. "This recipe reminds me of the time my mother took me to piano practice when I was 7..." and you'll have to scroll past a bunch of poo poo to get to the point. There's some great ones out there that are no bullshit, though. I like Maangchi's website for Korean recipes for example. Also I recommend the cook book "Salt Fat Acid Heat" which is really good about teaching fundamentals about cooking properties and will really level up your skills.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Also Good Eats was a popular long running cooking edutainment show, it's very informative and amusing. Definitely worth a binge.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lister posted:

Some people are going to think that you're a "gimmick account." Which refers to someone who joins the forum just to play a character for their own amusement. One of the most famous gimmicks here is a guy that would only reply to threads with images from video games. Another made up an increasingly bizzare story about his wife wanting to gently caress him in the rear end with a dildo https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1736969

Remember that guy who made out they were from an advanced alien culture vacationing on Earth? The spicy food and cool music aspects of life here were their favourite I think, it was a while back.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
This thread is great and the people posting speculation about the OP’s authenticity must destroy anything good that comes about organically in their lives.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

You're returning to civilization at a very interesting time, op. You were sent away right before the internet changed everything but interestingly things seem to be boomeranging back as AI is absolutely ruining any public space and people are returning to smaller communities / hanging out in real life. There was a golden period of I want to say from 2000-2012 where you could find anything about everything or find like-minded groups out in the open. Most of this was driven by these things called search engines, which was a website that indexed all the other websites. A site called Google was the best at this. All you had to do was type your question or query into it and it would find you dozens or hundreds of websites, each containing a treasure trove of information. It was awesome.

Unfortunately AI has gotten to the point that it's not only able to write pretty convincingly but it's also REALLY good at gaming the search engine algorithms. So not only are most sites filled the the brim with authentic-enough sounding but ultimately worthless information, they're also all you can find on these search engines. There are still good sites out there, hell you're on one of them right now, but the ability to go out and find them on your own is completely gone.

To be honest I'm not sure if I admire or pity the fact you missed all of it. On the one hand you never got to experience the wonder of the internet at its peak, so when you venture out and find mostly bullshit it will be easier for you to just live out in the real world. For those of us who have been watching it all fall apart over the past decade it's been pretty tragic. I still try to use Google on a daily basis to find things but it's astounding at how rapidly it's fallen apart. Just a few years ago you could still dig out some good stuff from its results if you knew what to look for. Now it's almost entirely worthless beyond looking for something extremely specific like, 'what is ford's website?'

The previous owner of this website was a guy named Lowtax. He was a complicated and tragic character who ultimately went into a spiral and took his own life. I won't go into too much detail over it but while he had many MANY faults he also had the
'spirit' of the internet figured out to a degree that surpasses all the tech giants of the day. This is a presentation he gave that goes into the early history of this site along with internet culture at the time as well. You'll probably find it interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gvo1uWAhHc

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If goons try to start a fundraiser for you, I recommend reading up on Doobie's Dawgs or whatever the name was. Goon projects and goon fundraisers have a really hilarious but sad history. Also see the time that one mod did a fundraiser for a gaming laptop and tickets to an anime convention or w/e. Like, goon advice is at least worth hearing but if we try to get actively involved just loving run

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The 'in a vacuum' part just a bit too internet culture for me to buy this at this very moment.

w-what

'in a vacuum' is not internet culture or SA poo poo, that poo poo's been said since the ~1600s when we discovered the science of vacuums

and white people have been talking to each other about white privilege for a while, but it is especially gonna come from a guy reading uk le guin and such while incarcerated.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah it sounds like maybe that person's understanding of what "an inmate" is, is not based on real life experiences

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
run

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I love hearing prison/jail nicknames. Do you have any favorites? My personal monicker was "Meth Head Jeffrey Dahmer" and, later, "Podfather."

My cellie did 15 years in one of the Texas prisons for vehicular homicide, but he never said which. Nice guy; was horrifically violent in his past with a bad temper but, after having his face split open with a single punch from someone far worse and spending six weeks in ICU, he mellowed out real fast.

Funny thing is, it turned out his cousin was my neighbor growing up despite him being born halfway across the country from me. Small loving world.

In any case, loving the stories, Harvey

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

bagmonkey posted:

If goons try to start a fundraiser for you, I recommend reading up on Doobie's Dawgs or whatever the name was. Goon projects and goon fundraisers have a really hilarious but sad history. Also see the time that one mod did a fundraiser for a gaming laptop and tickets to an anime convention or w/e. Like, goon advice is at least worth hearing but if we try to get actively involved just loving run

wow so that is something you all do here. that's very cool. i will look those up here

i don't know about one for me though. i owe society, society doesn't owe me

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

harveys zoo zoos posted:

lmao, you don't owe society personally. You already paid your debt.

Everybody owes society and, essentially, vice versa

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

wow so that is something you all do here. that's very cool. i will look those up here

We do a lot of weird poo poo. We make a horrible Christmas album every yearish, for example.

https://saxmas.bandcamp.com/

There have also been goon meets where people gather for one reason or another. I've been to a couple at a nerd convention in Atlanta called dragoncon (not related to SA, just a bunch of us go there)

I think there are some goon meet horror stories about sex in the woods or something? I'm not aware of the full story.

:gooncamp:

I think this emote is supposed to be about that story? Someone will correct me surely.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

wow so that is something you all do here.

The results are always negative lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

harveys zoo zoos posted:

You should email or Private Message a moderator or admin (people with blue or red stars next to their name) if you ever want to have a fundraiser. They can hopefully point you to the goonfund thread instead, because all fundraiser threads ended up in drama.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

A Terrible Person posted:

I love hearing prison/jail nicknames. Do you have any favorites? My personal monicker was "Meth Head Jeffrey Dahmer" and, later, "Podfather."

My cellie did 15 years in one of the Texas prisons for vehicular homicide, but he never said which. Nice guy; was horrifically violent in his past with a bad temper but, after having his face split open with a single punch from someone far worse and spending six weeks in ICU, he mellowed out real fast.

Funny thing is, it turned out his cousin was my neighbor growing up despite him being born halfway across the country from me. Small loving world.

In any case, loving the stories, Harvey

haha yes.

poon-poon might have been my favorite but that's because i just liked the guy a lot

'worm' - when he was apprehended they found him naked in a hole he had already dug, trying to cover himself with dirt. he was covered in something sticky.

'mountain dew teeth' then 'teefies' or 'toofs' - this guy had the worst teeth i've ever seen and there were a lot of people with bad teeth in there

'spitshow' - he would blow bubbles with with whatever liquid he had in his mouth. sometimes juice, sometimes his cum or someone else's cum. spitshow was a 'jit' or 'jitterbug', someone who's loud and gossipy. jitterbugs got hosed up a lot but spitshow never learned better.

'bic' - one of the arsonists. the arsonists were some of the worst people ever.

'pg' - a guy named for his pistol grip ears

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

harveys zoo zoos posted:

'bic' - one of the arsonists. the arsonists were some of the worst people ever.

Why?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Did you have any 'mad gunners' in there? Those are my favorite nicknamed prisoners

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i imagine because they kept setting things on fire

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Arsonists are like pedophiles but they want to gently caress fire instead of kids, and they will find a way to set poo poo on fire compulsively in my experience.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

bic as in a bic lighter

the arsonists were just creepy and evil looking. i mean that's kinda rich coming from me but most had the 1000 yard stare thing going on, were often quiet and sneaky and a lot of them were burn victims themselves. that and they'd try to start fires on the block. next to the chomos and chesters which were the child molesters the arsonists were the most hated

Toxic Mental posted:

Did you have any 'mad gunners' in there? Those are my favorite nicknamed prisoners

gunners were inmates who would jerk off while staring at the co's. i dont remember nicknames for any specific ones though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey if you were in charge of criminal justice in America all of a sudden, what reforms would you make?

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

hey i wanted to ask ya;ll about an internet thing, instant messengers and chat rooms. we had some people come through that were in for computer crimes and some of them would talk about how they were caught by instant messenger or in a chat room.

i did a google for instant messenger but it looks like those aren't used anymore. so how do people communicate in real time on the internet or do you not do that anymore. my cousin said there's a chat thing that a lot of people use but i cant remember the name

i don't have restrictions on social media use but i really am not ready for that or even interested in it really. it looks dumb from what i've seen and i see on the news it can be really bad

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hey i wanted to ask ya;ll about an internet thing, instant messengers and chat rooms. we had some people come through that were in for computer crimes and some of them would talk about how they were caught by instant messenger or in a chat room.

i did a google for instant messenger but it looks like those aren't used anymore. so how do people communicate in real time on the internet or do you not do that anymore. my cousin said there's a chat thing that a lot of people use but i cant remember the name

i don't have restrictions on social media use but i really am not ready for that or even interested in it really. it looks dumb from what i've seen and i see on the news it can be really bad

Discord is probably most popular.
People also use slack. Probably some others but like I said earlier most groups and companies online have to a discord server, including something awful

The robot says I'm wrong about discord being most popular?

The most popular instant messaging apps as of January 2023, based on the number of monthly active users (in millions), are:

1. WhatsApp: 2,000 million
2. Weixin / WeChat: 1,309 million
3. Facebook Messenger: 931 million
4. Telegram: 700 million
5. Snapchat: 635 million
6. QQ: 574 million【7†source】.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

WhatsApp is the most popular texting app, aside from standard phone texting of course.

Discord is probably the most used "chat room"-like app.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

people use discord now, which is like a software that can manage chat rooms

you can download it or you can just use it online through your web browser

there are a bunch of public rooms but you can also be invited to private ones

IMs and such were popular in the early 2000's but i guess people are more used to anonymous-style posting now

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I assume there is still a SA discord. I haven't been on it in years

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

PostNouveau posted:

Hey if you were in charge of criminal justice in America all of a sudden, what reforms would you make?

man i am not a smart or critical thinker but the most obvious thing to me is to reduce incarceration for drug offenses and get them actual treatment. drugs are everywhere inside and the users continue to use and if they get out they just do it all over again and end up back inside. it is a losing battle. i mean im not all about total legalization of all drugs but drug use has been around forever and isn't going away so there needs to be a way to help those that are out of control.

also less gun toting police and more social workers both outside and inside. like i said before there is no real rehab in there at all except for self help groups and the chaplain and a few social workers that rotate in. mental health services need to be more available on the outside too

also less private prisons that are there for money making

and also give poor people a fighting chance in general you know. i was poor but would have done the thing i did even if i wasn't i guess but most people in there were for drug related stuff and they were poor to begin with so they sold or used drugs to cope.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

like, the drugs are wild. i saw more than one guy dig through his poo poo to get a balloon of heroin that the guards knew he had smuggled in for him, only to eat it again right away. people fighting over poo poo covered balloons in the toilet is a nutty thing to see

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's crazy that you met someone who got caught by using a technology you had never heard of before and then it stopped existing by the time you got out.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

GolfHole posted:

people use discord now, which is like a software that can manage chat rooms

you can download it or you can just use it online through your web browser

there are a bunch of public rooms but you can also be invited to private ones

IMs and such were popular in the early 2000's but i guess people are more used to anonymous-style posting now

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

ok yeah i remember now discord is what my cousin said. haha i dont think i am ready for that

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

There's at least 4 active "lifeboat" discords, probably more that I don't know about.

Telegram and Signal are also popular if you want more privacy. Discord is the best chat room style one right now imo.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

1. WhatsApp: 2,000 million
2. Weixin / WeChat: 1,309 million
3. Facebook Messenger: 931 million
4. Telegram: 700 million
5. Snapchat: 635 million
6. QQ: 574 million【7†source】.

WhatsApp is used a lot for international texting. WeChat is China.

Discord is like a chat room for hanging out rather than, like, texting your girlfriend hello.

Generally every chat room on the planet keeps track of what you send and receive, and that data is available to law enforcement with a warrant, with the recipient's consent, or your PO can just open your phone and look. Don't do anything via texting or messenger that you don't want your PO to read.

That said you should definitely have a basic texting ability on your phone. The default texting app is fine. People expect you to be able to text and it'd be weird and difficult to communicate if you didn't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

like, the drugs are wild. i saw more than one guy dig through his poo poo to get a balloon of heroin that the guards knew he had smuggled in for him, only to eat it again right away. people fighting over poo poo covered balloons in the toilet is a nutty thing to see

Please Note: Another SA contribution to the internet, Two Girls, One Cup.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of texting, you will probably find that people don't answer their phones anymore. House phones are almost exclusively used by the elderly, everyone else has a cell phone on them 24/7 but will be personally offended if you try and call them instead of texting unless it's an emergency or something.

It's worth at least having the conversation with any friends you make about their preferences. I haven't answered a phone call personally in like a decade.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

That's crazy that you met someone who got caught by using a technology you had never heard of before and then it stopped existing by the time you got out.

yes to me it seemed like a thought crime because nothing actually happened except for talking online

if i remember right it was something like this-

the guy was in a sex chat room and was talking to a few women about their fantasies. over time it turned to wilder stuff and one person brought up underage kids and the guy was intrigued and the chats got more explicit. then the woman asked if he wanted to meet her daughter and he went to a place to meet her and got tackled by a bunch of agents. so it was all a setup and the underage girl didn't even exist. the guy said he didn't even know what he would have done if it was all real. but there were so many chat logs of their talks that was enough. he was a federal case but was in our facility for pre-sentencing. this was early 2000s.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

On the subject of texting, you will probably find that people don't answer their phones anymore. House phones are almost exclusively used by the elderly, everyone else has a cell phone on them 24/7 but will be personally offended if you try and call them instead of texting unless it's an emergency or something.

It's worth at least having the conversation with any friends you make about their preferences. I haven't answered a phone call personally in like a decade.

i do text message with family and my po. my mom has a land line and the only calls she gets are robot callers i think that's what they are called.

the more i learn about the internet the less time i want to spend on it but so far you folks have been nice so i like it here.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

NBC had an entire show where they set up stings like that hosted by a now-outed check-bouncing conman called Dateline: To Catch a Predator and it was one of the most popular shows on TV for a couple years, until some lawyer got away and blew his brains out and they canned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BigHead posted:

Generally every chat room on the planet keeps track of what you send and receive, and that data is available to law enforcement with a warrant, with the recipient's consent, or your PO can just open your phone and look. Don't do anything via texting or messenger that you don't want your PO to read.

This is a good point, just assume everything you say on the internet could be saved and linked back to you.

Signal and telegram are more secure but a PO might be leery about just having those apps on your phone, I don't know how that stuff works.