Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eli4672
Apr 12, 2010
I don’t know why we’re pretending Hank always had this in him. He was comic relief before. This reimagining of his character is the show reimagining itself. No more comic relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

eli4672 posted:

I don’t know why we’re pretending Hank always had this in him. He was comic relief before. This reimagining of his character is the show reimagining itself. No more comic relief.

Watch I think it's either S2E1 S2E2 where he very coldly and credibly and without any japes or effete mincing directly tells Barry that he insulted and disrespected him, and he will kill him and everyone in his acting class if he didn't do a job for him.

Hell, watch this season where it's played for laughs but he condemns a dozen or so underlings to a really awful death drowning in sand.

Hell, watch this season where he either by direct instruction or omission of calling his men off has the love of his life, Cristobol, killed when he becomes a liability. He can't face it, but he did it.

As someone upthread said, he affects a very a friendly, goofy Chechen mob boss-- but at the end of the day he's a Chechen Mob boss, with all that implies.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
My only quibble would be that he wasn't in charge when Cristobal was killed. That was his higher ups. Hank still bears some responsibility because he could have more proactively communicated to Cristobal what situation they were in. Not the same as it being his choice though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watch I think it's either S2E1 S2E2 where he very coldly and credibly and without any japes or effete mincing directly tells Barry that he insulted and disrespected him, and he will kill him and everyone in his acting class if he didn't do a job for him.

S2E1 at the end. I loved that scene because before that he was shown as mainly comic relief and the audience, like Barry, were supposed to see him as a joke.

"Don't gently caress with me Barry, its not polite." Adding on the polite thing at the end makes it Hank. Of course fourse right afterwards you hear Hank's bubble gum pop music as he drives away because at the end of the day, its still Hank.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Alan Smithee posted:

i have no doubt in my mind Barry will get away with everything
the only sensible way for this all to end is Barry being gunned down in his family barn some time in the future by his many antagonists

cut to some time later, our new protagonist, John, is ready to take his first acting class

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wittgen posted:

My only quibble would be that he wasn't in charge when Cristobal was killed. That was his higher ups. Hank still bears some responsibility because he could have more proactively communicated to Cristobal what situation they were in. Not the same as it being his choice though.

Yeah I suppose that was right when Chechen Mob Management showed up to lay down the terms and conditions of his regional management role.

I still give him half the blame for omission of action, however tore up he was about it. He could have done SOMETHING. My read was in part even though it wasn't explicitly said under the hurt he was letting Cristobol get "if I can't have you no one else ever will" -ed in the rage and pain of the moment.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 24, 2023

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He was letting Cristobal be free, it's what he wanted

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

He was letting Cristobal be free, it's what he wanted

the underlings should have cleaned up quicker and told Hank they took him to a sand farm up in Washington state to play and chase rabbits

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

The show specifically stops playing trumpets during the title splash when they have decided this is more of a drama than a comedy.

Man I miss that Soul sting :( Would also have been acceptable if they had done like the Invincible cartoon and just slammed to the title the first time anyone says 'Barry' each episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwUM_cjpj0

Hader chatting about old movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNcXnZ_l30

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Invincible comic rules by the way, highly recommend.

Sivart13 posted:

the only sensible way for this all to end is Barry being gunned down in his family barn some time in the future by his many antagonists

cut to some time later, our new protagonist, John, is ready to take his first acting class

Red Barry Redemption

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

i have no doubt in my mind Barry will get away with everything

"I'd like to see ol' Barry wriggle his way out of this jam!"

* Barry wriggles his way out of the jam easily *

"Ah! Well. Nevertheless,"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Von Pluring posted:

Chekhov's Coke.

Fuches is the worst person in this show. I always hated that character because of what a snivelling, evil piece of poo poo he is, but on a rewatch I'm enjoying the hell out of Stephen Root's performance. I'll enjoy it even more when the Raven finally croaks though. (Pun!)

He is great in S1 of the HBO Perry Mason show as a fire and brimstone prosecutor, he does some fantastic scenery chewing.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hughmoris posted:

I am going to be so drat sad when this and Succession end next week.

*Also, can someone remind me where the $250k came into play? I can't remember how Barry got it, and at one point he gave it to Fuches.

It was Barry’s payment for blowing up the Bolivians with the user friendly bomb.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gentlemen can disagree but I think it's perfectly in keeping with the themes of the show.

You stand in your own way of what you think you want or think you're supposed to want. There is no happily ever after.

You can't change, at least not for the better.

You're doomed to inflict what was done to you on others.

By putting the characters in their "happily ever after" (escaped and with their True Love, the raven, sand mogul/mob boss, ostensiably freed from their showbiz narcasism) and showing they're still actually hosed up is perfectly in keeping, if misanthropic bordering on nihilistic.

It's a credit to the writing they wring laugh out loud humor from such a bleak canvas.

:agreed:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kinda hilarious that the two hbo shows about Hollywood actors are Barry and Entourage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

ruddiger posted:

Kinda hilarious that the two hbo shows about Hollywood actors are Barry and Entourage.

Larry Sanders and Curb Your Enthusiasm spring to mind.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gentlemen can disagree but I think it's perfectly in keeping with the themes of the show.

You stand in your own way of what you think you want or think you're supposed to want. There is no happily ever after.

You can't change, at least not for the better.

You're doomed to inflict what was done to you on others.

By putting the characters in their "happily ever after" (escaped and with their True Love, the raven, sand mogul/mob boss, ostensiably freed from their showbiz narcasism) and showing they're still actually hosed up is perfectly in keeping, if misanthropic bordering on nihilistic.

It's a credit to the writing they wring laugh out loud humor from such a bleak canvas.

I view it in a less pessimistic light: I don't think it's that "you can't change", but rather you can't erase or paper over your sins by deciding to "do good" or trade a good deed for a bad. It stays with you and comes home to roost. Would love to hear Bill Hader talk about what he thinks of Catholicism, lol.

It's definitely about the cycle of violence and abuse, and how that perpetuates onward. It's a poison that seeps into people and spreads. I dunno if it was intentional but I think it's definitely thematically significant that this all begins with a US soldier murdering a family in the middle east.

But not everyone is doomed or trapped. Gene's son seems remarkably well adjusted and forgiving considering what he's dealt with. Albert Nguyen seems alright considering what he went through and what he saw in Barry. It's definitely a fairly bleak story but I don't think it's completely cynical.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 25, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The characters in Barry aren't hosed up trashfires who never get better because the show thinks it's impossible to improve as a person. They're that way because they refuse to put in the work. They just want to decide they're different ("starting now") and expect reality to accommodate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

What about the other two

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Alan Smithee posted:

What about the other two

I think those are New York actors.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

What about the other two

I was gonna say, The Other Two is really loving funny. I missed that it came back a few weeks ago and just binged through the S3 episodes that are out.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I have been down on the time skip, and it feels like they have lost the plot a bit. But the stuff with Hank in this last episode felt like classic Barry, so I hope they can wrap it all up in a satisfying way on Sunday.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It’s gonna be a good finale because the time skip won’t matter at all besides whatever winds up happening with their son.

I’m really curious what’s gonna happen with Sally. I don’t think they’ll kill her, but we’ll see.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I'd be surprised if barry doesn't die tbh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He dies but comes back a few days later

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
If Barry lives through it all I think he should end up doing Dare ‘don’t do drugs/violence’ videos for middle schoolers from prison, completing his arc as a real ‘actor’

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The last shot HAS to be an excerpt of the bio film, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

God I hope we get to see it.

"low rent in universe dramatization of the events of the show" is a gag I loved in Game of Thrones and the Thor movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gonna go for the long bomb theory that the show is a time loop and the guy who barry kills in the first episode is his son from the future who travelled back in time to make sure barry is on the path that leads to his birth.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

It'll be a real crime if we don't get a follow-up Barry movie with DDL and Marky Mark

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

barry will wound his other palm and his feet. then something sharp will pierce his side. & who ever could pull it out would be crowned king arthur

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As it turns out, Barry's only weakness and the way to defeat him is simple water.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

panko posted:

barry will wound his other palm and his feet. then something sharp will pierce his side. & who ever could pull it out would be crowned king arthur

berry into his side :smug:

WAIT

Barry into his side :smuggo:

cant cook creole bream posted:

As it turns out, Barry's only weakness and the way to defeat him is simple water.

Beach scenes = death confirmed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my favourite Hank moments are when he almost pukes because he was faking being stoic in front of Barry pointing a gun in his face, and the quick run around at the big table in The Dave and Busters.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When he's dancing in merriment with his henchman because Barry agreed to work for him

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Everybody dies
They all go to the beach
Beach party musical finisher

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

When he shows up at Barry's work in that awful wig.

I kind of hope he wears the Emily wig at some point now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Omg he's totally gonna have a wig decoy

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dear lord if they get Daniel Day-Lewis and Wahlberg for quick cameos I will forgive the time skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ruddiger posted:

Even if it's mostly sports, I feel like Arli$$ was kinda Hollywood/fame-adjacent at points.