Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a sneaking suspicion they designed the game from level one onwards. What I've seen of chapter II so far has much better maps, arena layouts and ammo/item placements.
(They even stop putting health and armor together! Sometimes.)

I'm seeing that, the level design is better. Although balance wise, I'm seeing still way too many resources. Sometimes it is puzzling, like a whole area peppered by them which doesn't makes sense because there was only half a dozen enemies? In that sense it gives the feeling it has been a bit rushed, maybe they planned to have a horde encounter there, and it was changed later.

edit: I write that and 10 minutes later I reach a boss fight (the second time you fight the Lord of Transformation, this time tin the episode 2) that I had to repeat 6 times. Jeez, the difficulty is really uneven and bumpy.
This boss btw is frustrating: he has an archvile-like attack, where the does high sustained damage on line of sight. Except... you don't have a visual or audio warning before the start of the attack. Great.
I beat him finally, with 4 hp remaining.

I noticed that the infighting has to have some rules. the ambulls can be aggro'ed by the Incinerators and attack them, but the Incinerators ignore them.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The things I don't like about Marathon are how it both looks and plays, but with specific examples.

Everything looks way too 'thin', like how you used to be able to watch a widescreen movie or video on a 4:3 screen, so everything was compressed, horizontally. My memory is probably remembering it worse than it was, but it still bugged me.

But the thing I disliked the most was the awful FOV. That poo poo is way too zoomed in and I feel Halo does much the same. I need at least 80°.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 25, 2023

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Yeah, I was much more open to it than most despite badly wanting the proper turn based game we eventually got. I feel like they could have handled things much better by announcing the more traditional game first - they were both in production at the same time weren't they?

iirc Enemy Unknown started production a long time before The Bureau did, I think a talk the lead developer did shortly after it released mentioned starting 10 years before it came out, they just ended up having to start from scratch a couple times.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nearly every Warhammer game is on sale on Steam right now, which includes the aforementioned Deathwing, and Hired Gun. You can get the pair for like $18, or separately (Hired Gun is like $15, Deathwing is like $5. It’s a pretty great deal.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don't think any game braindamaged me more as a kid than the Marathon games (2 and Infinity and user made content, I only played Marathon 1 much later). We were a MACINTOSH household and 90s Bungie, before Microsoft got them, was a rare Mac gaming company. I last played through 2 and Infinity five years ago,, and they're still fun in ways that modern shooters aren't. You can't have that kind of frenetic action with a controller.

They're also the first FPSs to have a story, and they're also (Infinity especially) loving weird. If your Marathon game doesn't have dream sequence levels with poetry written by ancient alien AIs it's not a Marathon game. This new one just looks like they dug through the old IP box for whatever was left.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But the thing I disliked the most was the awful FOV. That poo poo is way too zoomed in and I feel Halo does much the same. I need at least 80°.
Aleph One now has a "Override FOV" button that lets you set it to something sane.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xenomrph posted:

Nearly every Warhammer game is on sale on Steam right now, which includes the aforementioned Deathwing, and Hired Gun. You can get the pair for like $18, or separately (Hired Gun is like $15, Deathwing is like $5. It’s a pretty great deal.

Is Deathwing soloable these days? Last I tried was the Enhanced version at release and the bots were pretty braindead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thyrork posted:

I actually liked the vibe of the first trailer for nu x-com fps. Weird ink body snatchers and cubic monsters is a vibe. Detective & research work to figure out how to kill it is the soul of X-Com. I think in a post-control world (and not called loving X-COM! The optics on THAT choice after we already had an awful fps game... :psyduck: ) it could work as a superb horror fps.
There's something about the X-COM power curve that just really sings to me, the way it starts out crushingly hard with all of your gear being (comparatively) dogshit garbage and then as the game progresses you scavenge and reverse-engineer and improve upon alien tech until by the endgame you're using the aliens' own technology better than they do themselves and just instantly hellfucking anything foolish enough to enter atmosphere. I think that would be tricky to translate into an FPS (losing seven rookies out of your starting 14 is a lot less disruptive than losing the whole-rear end player character) but I would love to see it done.

Today's terrible, impractical idea: a replacement for BATTLESCAPE.EXE that loads up the generated battlescape and uses the heightmap, buildings, etc to generate an FPS level instead. You play as one of the X-COM operatives and if you die, control switches to the nearest one who isn't panicking/unconscious/dead/zombied/etc. It would make the missions go by a lot faster, too, which is nice for the ones that are traditionally awful slogs (ship terror missions in TFTD, most missions in X-Piratez if you're trying to actually take prisoners, etc).

I think openXcom has integrated battlescape support, so if you didn't want to target DOS you'd need to patch it to support invoking an external program for the battlescape.

gently caress. I kind of actually want to do this now.

Shoehead posted:

You could make a spritual Oni 2 if you weren't a coward, it's just Ghost in the Shell with all the numbers filed off (which is why I bought it tbqh)
Apparently there are actual Ghost in the Shell games, and apparently they're also pretty bad, which is a shame.

I enjoyed Oni back when I played it but I haven't revisited it since 2004 or so, no idea how well it would hold up now.

Woolie Wool posted:

Anyway, one actual thing I'd like to see done with boomer shooter genre-bending is a 2.5D FPS-CRPG, like New Vegas with a Doom-like engine (but not lovely like Arena or Daggerfall).

I would play the poo poo out of that, and the programming side wouldn't be too bad to do in gzDoom using zscript.

(If I had any ability at maps/artwork/overall design I'd be tempted to make it, but I don't, which is all my mods focus entirely on gameplay changes you can bolt onto other people's maps.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played the whole thing solo. It wasn't great, but outside the look of it, not much about that game is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

So I'm pistol starting Doom E4M2 on Ultra Violence. is this actually possible? it's gotta be right? I'm just really bad at the game?

It's less luck based than e4m1 at least, there's a lot more resources to use , but it is difficult, yes. Will take some practice learning where the spots are that you want to sprint to and get out of ASAP.

If a pistol start is giving me a lot of trouble, I like to first turn on -nomo and just map out where the best health, armor and ammo spots are at, and any weapons I should be prioritizing. Then mess around in god mode and idkfa to see where the troublesome encounters will be. Then go for it! None of that is feasible for huge maps of course but everything in ultimate Doom is a few minutes long and fairly straightforward to figure out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Deakul posted:

Is Deathwing soloable these days? Last I tried was the Enhanced version at release and the bots were pretty braindead.

The bots are pretty brain dead but I still found it playable. If people wanted to coop it I’d be down though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I can't figure out if I'm more frustrated or amused by the fact that one of the final bosses in HROT--a seemingly invulnerable robot--is actually just a Robocop joke about how even with all of this sophisticated technology and weaponry, it can't navigate stairs, and I must have spent 10 minutes trying every other thing I could think of to kill it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I checked briefly the Supplice new secret map. It's... a remake of e1m1 lol

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

Anyway, one actual thing I'd like to see done with boomer shooter genre-bending is a 2.5D FPS-CRPG, like New Vegas with a Doom-like engine (but not lovely like Arena or Daggerfall).
Well, on a small scale that's basically Hedon's second episode or Ashes: Afterglow. Which are both extremely enjoyable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fil5000 posted:

Oni was a boring, boring game anyway. Yeah, let's hire architects instead of level designers, oops, our levels are huge and empty and dull
I don't think that was it, Dark Forces had architects work on its levels and they're some of the finest 2.5D levels ever made. I think Oni was just rushed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Oni was a clusterfuck because the actual work was being done at brief-lived “Bungie West” in San Jose, while all the decision making was still being done in Chicago. Then Bungie got bought by MS and moved out west for real, and a bunch of people quit/moved to Redmond while Oni got shuffled off to Take Two to finish/push out the door.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oni was great, but in all honesty it's a 7/10 game. As mentioned, level design was... adequate but not particularly special, but the fighting was great.

Now I've got "rising fury!" looping in my brain.

I loving love Myth too. Pre-Halo Bungie had a pretty loving solid library, honestly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pre-Halo Bungie was a true indie who answered to no one and was more than happy to dive into whatever genre caught their fancy at the time. Halo famously went through a long evolution from a sci-fi RTS to the FPS we all know and love. Oni was an anime brawler. Myth and Myth 2 were real-time tactics. The Marathons were pure FPS. Pathways was an FPS/adventure/RPG bizarro hybrid. Only after MS took control did they stick with the same template for five titles in a row

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't figure out if I'm more frustrated or amused by the fact that one of the final bosses in HROT--a seemingly invulnerable robot--is actually just a Robocop joke about how even with all of this sophisticated technology and weaponry, it can't navigate stairs, and I must have spent 10 minutes trying every other thing I could think of to kill it.

One thought of mine was that it would die when all the ammo was used, so I fired every shot from every weapon into it and did nothing. Then I did manage to kill it and had to restart the level to fight the actual boss

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Well, on a small scale that's basically Hedon's second episode or Ashes: Afterglow. Which are both extremely enjoyable.

Bloodrite and Ashes both own bones, but they don't really fit into the FONV/Daggerfall niche with an open world, lots of optional quests, branching storyline, character ability customization, etc -- they have similar vibes in places but gameplay-wise they're straightforward shooters.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So Bungie takes Marathon, with its crazy amount of lore told exclusively through text (like, a novella's worth of stuff per-game) and one of the most charismatic supporters/antagonists in the rampant AI Durandal. . . and decides the logical next step is to chase that Tarkov money. Running concurrently with Destiny 2, which just started its twenty-second season of story and associated activities and one more expansion to close out the current "Light vs. Darkness" storyline (they have repeatedly stated that Destiny 3 will not be happening any time soon).

Priorities, I guess.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 25, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

So Bungie takes Marathon, with its crazy amount of lore told exclusively through text (like, a novella's worth of stuff per-game) and one of the most charismatic supporters/antagonists in the rampant AI Durandal. . . and decides the logical next step is to chase that Tarkov money. Running concurrently with Destiny 2, which just started its twenty-second season of story and associated activities and one more expansion to close out the current "Light vs. Darkness" storyline (they have repeatedly stated that Destiny 3 will not be happening any time soon).

Priorities, I guess.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

Bloodrite and Ashes both own bones, but they don't really fit into the FONV/Daggerfall niche with an open world, lots of optional quests, branching storyline, character ability customization, etc -- they have similar vibes in places but gameplay-wise they're straightforward shooters.

There's a series of gzdoom mods kinda like that, I think its called Abysm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PsyClops posted:

There's a series of gzdoom mods kinda like that, I think its called Abysm.
Same issues as for Ashes/Hedon apply here, except less well made.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

1stGear posted:

"You make the best things on the shoulders of giants. And in our case, those giants are Halo and Destiny."

I feel like there's a game that got left out of that sentence.

ONI?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oni always struck me as like. One of those early 3D game that desperately wanted to be on hardware a generation or two more advanced than what was actually available. Like, all those large urban environments... that had no one in them, and barely any detailing?

So, actually prime remake material.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 25, 2023

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My thought processes at the time:

"How can I kill this ED209-like boss? I must be missing something, even the quad damage power-up does nothing. Is this like a Quake Chthon thing? Perhaps there's a hidden switch or something, but I'm locked off from most of the level. Did I miss something down these stairs?"
"These stairs... and this ED209-like boss..."
"OH, gently caress YOU"

I laughed like a drain for quite a while

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Got bored of Boltgun after about 3 hours. It never really goes anywhere.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got bored of Boltgun after about 3 hours. It never really goes anywhere.

It goes straight through a gently caress load of cultists and demons, with a resulting shower of blood. :hellyeah: :black101: :commissar:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It's okay. I just finished chapter 1 and there are like 6 enemy types, 4 of which die in 1 shot from the bolter. And until the heavy bolter the other enemies just feel spongey.

I really think my problem with it is that I can't figure out what type of game it's really trying to be. And every level has one place where you're supposed to back track to a key door or otherwise explore to find a path and you end up just getting lost.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

suuma posted:

It's okay. I just finished chapter 1 and there are like 6 enemy types, 4 of which die in 1 shot from the bolter. And until the heavy bolter the other enemies just feel spongey.

I really think my problem with it is that I can't figure out what type of game it's really trying to be. And every level has one place where you're supposed to back track to a key door or otherwise explore to find a path and you end up just getting lost.

honest question: how is this different (in a bad way) from knee deep in the dead?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arivia posted:

honest question: how is this different (in a bad way) from knee deep in the dead?

That came out 30 years ago.

There’s also no minimap in Boltgun and the level layout is more arena-hallway-arena so the backtracking is completely pointless since there’s no actual exploration aspect.

It’s an okay game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

That came out 30 years ago.

There’s also no minimap in Boltgun and the level layout is more arena-hallway-arena so the backtracking is completely pointless since there’s no actual exploration aspect.

It’s an okay game.

Yeah and it’s still considered best-of-kind in many ways. No minimap and arena-corridor exploration are legit gripes but I can’t fault a boomer shooter for being like Doom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The no minimap thing is annoying considering lots of areas of the levels look exactly the same but mirrored

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arivia posted:

Yeah and it’s still considered best-of-kind in many ways. No minimap and arena-corridor exploration are legit gripes but I can’t fault a boomer shooter for being like Doom.

The thing people praise KDITD for is the quality of the level design, though. When Doom 1 gets a more diverse enemy roster and worse levels it’s a worse experience since there’s no drat super shotgun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Boltgun reads like an okay game that's going to have a killer sequel.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Assepoester posted:

I don't think that was it, Dark Forces had architects work on its levels and they're some of the finest 2.5D levels ever made. I think Oni was just rushed.

Right?! Jedi Knight had a great sense of scale but definitely feels of its time in a "oh hey, full 3d!" sort of way. Sense of scale is rad, admittedly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Boltgun ep 2 is better so far. That portal maze toward the end of 1 though o_0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In botlgun, there is a new enemy introduced in E2M1 and its not shown up again in the next 6 maps. The devs really dont feel like they knew how to assemble the enemies they had into something.

Also the lack of minimap has gotten me egregriously lost in map E2M5? For a long time because not only did I not remember or see where the yellow door was, but there are toggleable switches near the yellow key that dont seem to do anything (maybe a secret?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

The Doom mapping community is mostly based around doom2.wad , not doom.wad, for a reason.