Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok that picture of young Roy was amazing lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok that picture of young Roy was amazing lmao

I'm reasonably sure that I have an nearly identical picture of Real Life Keeley on some old abandoned hard drive that is identical to the Keeley poster.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally one of the better episodes of the season but the Nate arc still shits me up the wall lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
a much better episode than a lot of what went on this season, but there's still a bunch of stuff in here I don't care much for.

last day title decider is such a stupid idea

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Phenotype posted:

It's not the brief story we got in this episode, it's how it reframes the episodes we've had of Beard rambling around London getting drunk with his erratic girlfriend.

Fair, it definitely feels another aspect that’s been written in recently rather than a backstory conceived at the beginning of the show that just wasn’t public. Funnily enough it was another example of ‘gently caress it we’ve got bonus episodes, let’s just do anything’ that led to that storyline.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i will say they always do the football scenes pretty well for a tv show like this. they usually show pretty realistic plays, shots, saves etc and film it all very nicely. maybe a few too many quick cuts to close ups of their feet when a player is dribbling around a defender but still pretty good.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lmao at them getting Pep in to give the most wooden fuckin delivery of the plot of the show as an inspirational message. obligatory gently caress manchester city.

seeing Ted's reaction to his mum's stoic, unhealthy selflessness which he's inherited was fun. thanks to Mae for her recital of Larkin, Garth Marenghi would be proud.

one of the better eps of the season (a low bar), but still subject to rewrite pacing hell. monster of the week except the monster is feelings

also the football scenes they do are very funny to me because it's like watching a sunday league game

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe I'm just goon face blind, but who were the people who showed up at Rebecca's house?

It's not just you at least, one of the effects of this show's "each of the 937 plotlines gets 3 minutes in each 90-minute episode" texture is that you don't get to see certain tertiary characters for long stretches, even whole seasons. The whole time Jamie was dreading his dad being in the stands I kept thinking, would I have any idea who his dad was if I saw him? How long ago did we meet him, if ever? I thought the fat guy jeering at him from the stands in multiple shots was his dad and I was just gonna go with it

I want to know what Mae's poem was though. That ripped

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

also the football scenes they do are very funny to me because it's like watching a sunday league game

I did enjoy Jamie scoring a goal with absolutely zero follow-through on his kick

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Data Graham posted:

I want to know what Mae's poem was though. That ripped

This Be The Verse
By Philip Larkin

They gently caress you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were hosed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The simpsons were more succinct on the topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcfc96Rv5OU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So. June Jade is a ghost, or a figment of Nate's imagination, right?

She kept on hiding out of frame for no real reason. The only people who had any contact with her are Rupert and her boss. Rupert was enthusiastically introduced to a person who wasn't there and decided to help Nate to overcome this mental illness. When he decided to spent the evening with "June Jade" instead he decided to let him go.
As for the restaurant boss, he's a cocked up fan of Nate, so he decided to humor the poor bloke who just got fired. The fact that he keeps on talking to his imaginary girlfriend during work becomes so unsettling that he reconsiders. This June Jade character who allegedly works there for a long while is a convenient scapegoat for that.

The last scene will be Nate going with her towards the team, before she tells him "You have true friends now and you don't need me anymore", before she dissipates. Nate is confused but after a few seconds he has a slight smile and walks to the team. The end.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

....what

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm kind of digging fight club Nate as a west ham fan in a coma after a fight with Millwall

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The show makes stupid decisions. And the way she dodged contact with everyone else felt super suspicious.
The logical conclusion would be that those speeches were written a while ago, before they decided to rewrite a lot and introduce her character haphazardly, in order to motivate Nate into returning to Richmond. But her dodging the scenes and continuously lurking from behind walls felt really dumb.

Thinking through this ridiculous idea of her not being real at all gave me some amusement.

ilmucche posted:

Her name is Jade, but I'm kind of digging fight club Nate as a west ham fan in a coma after a fight with Millwall

Oh yeah. Jade. How could I have forgotten. :geno:
Honestly, this show has too many characters and names. The regular cast who are in almost every episode is like 30 people, right? I'm actually quite impressed that I can remember a few of the player names and character traits.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the series finale. The one in season two, where Roy became a RomCom protagonist was fun.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 24, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I sort of like that idea actually. It would explain why she suddenly started liking Nate out of nowhere (assuming the Jade we saw in previous seasons was real) and why Nate left the team.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Where do you think we are?"

Smash cut to Ted Lasso's photo over his freshly dug grave

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Let's make it worse: Jade is a real person, but she never interacted with Nate in any way which could be considered friendly. Eventually, he seeks out a job at the place she works and tells everyone that she's his girlfriend. The real Jade is massively uncomfortable with all of this, so she blackmails her boss to get rid of that creep.

CPColin posted:

"Where do you think we are?"

Smash cut to Ted Lasso's photo over his freshly dug grave

Your avatar is quite fitting for that one.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 24, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was very surprised she was in this episode at all. Remember last week when she said she needed to go to poland? Why even bother putting that in? Was it so important to explain why she wouldn't be in the rest of that one, single episode?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

A Taste of Athens isn't a place, it is a state of mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why no one else liked the place. Nate is just bringing people to a random alley and trying to get them to eat stuff off an upturned rubbish bin. He keeps talking to a hostess who doesn't exist. And the "restaurant owner" is just a local coke head who entertains Nate's fantasy because it supports his habit. The owner fired Nate because he thought it was really weird that he was suddenly working in the made up restaurant and handing out nuts to imaginary customers. It got too weird for him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, no wonder Nate is a bit hosed up with inadequacy. That's where his family always took him to "celebrate". Also he couldn't even get the good seat.

That seems like a really British parenting move. Whenever your son does something to be proud of, you smash his ego by making him eat literal garbage and gaslight him into believing that's the best he's ever had.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 25, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Lister posted:

I was very surprised she was in this episode at all. Remember last week when she said she needed to go to poland? Why even bother putting that in? Was it so important to explain why she wouldn't be in the rest of that one, single episode?

motivation to go back to his parent's place so he isn't alone

but yeah weird how making an occasional bit character into a recurring character with influence on the plot without giving her any real interiority hasn't worked out very well huh

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What's the bet that Jamie gets permanently injured, and he and Roy become a Ted/Beard style coaching partnership.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I cannot believe they're actually going to have Richmond win the title lol. That would surely be considered one of the greatest achievements in sporting history and ensure Ted's place in the pantheon of sporting legends.

Pep's cameo was loving terrible. IRL Pep would not be having a chummy little chat with his title rival and a former player if his team had just lost a game they only needed to draw to confirm themselves as champions, his acting was atrocious and his obviously ADR'd line sounded like poo poo.

Nate's story, once again very well acted and once I got over the incredulity of it all I actually liked that he tried to eke a modest living but can't outrun his notoriety anymore, but wtf was going on with that scene at the beginning. Why are the players so keen on him coming back? Not even hinted at previously, in fact the last time I remember them even mentioning Nate was when they got themselves so pissed off at him that several of them got sent off. Did his little apology note to Will somehow galvanise the entire team to not only entirely forgive him but also want him back in the coaching staff? Just weird.

Keeley actually being directly involved in a Richmond storyline and having an influence on what happened, who knew??

Jamie's plotline was great up until the completely asinine scene when the Man City fans, for absolutely no reason at all, went from showering him with abuse to applauding him off the pitch. I loving love the actor who plays his father and it was disappointing that he was reduced to a super-quick silent appearance in prison (???).

The "thank you, gently caress you" scene with Ted and his mother was fantastic, I think a lot of us have relationships with our parents like that. Best acting I've ever seen from Sudeikis, hands down.

This episode was an actual 75 minute runtime and they couldn't find a way to do the scene with Rupert's wife and mistress showing up at Rebecca's house without it feeling out of leftfield and nothing to do with anything that happened before lol.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 25, 2023

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Man City fans and managememt all being gracious and portrayed in the best possible light was likely a condition of them being so involved in the filming. Much like how West Ham was portrayed as all being decent outside Rupert.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Senor Tron posted:

The Man City fans and managememt all being gracious and portrayed in the best possible light was likely a condition of them being so involved in the filming. Much like how West Ham was portrayed as all being decent outside Rupert.

Oh yeah sure but it was loving laughable, especially since the fans to a person were being twats then suddenly did an about-face because... He was injured? They could all hear Ted's pep talk?? They were impressed by his goal???

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Ted’s mom stuff was so loving forced, IMO. It was just a nice visit from his mom, yeah it was a bit weird that she didn’t call, but why did they have to turn that into some weird drama bomb out of nowhere.

Yeah I see the obvious parallels between her and Ted but it was just like… why throw this in in the second to last episode without ever building it up? Just so she could tell Ted that her son misses him? It’s so hackneyed.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 25, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Literally half an hour into the episode before it explains why it's being so ponderous and dreary about Jamie, and more like an hour before we address the stilted and uncomfortable dynamic between Ted and his mom (who we've never met before so we have no idea why he's so awkward around her; is it just because she's here for some mysterious reason she refuses to explain or is there bad blood between them?). And yes I too would fly to England and spend a week hovering around Ted and stalwartly refusing to drop my reason for visiting which is to say "your son misses you"

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Adrianics posted:

Pep's cameo was loving terrible. IRL Pep would not be having a chummy little chat with his title rival and a former player if his team had just lost a game they only needed to draw to confirm themselves as champions, his acting was atrocious and his obviously ADR'd line sounded like poo poo.

The biggest thing that bothered me about Pep is that Ted and Beard went all fangirly after the chat. That's a moment that they would've had with one another at least 5 previous times since Ted has taken over.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I said out loud it was ridiculous that Richmond were on a 15 game win streak to challenge the title after just scraping back into the Premiership… as the words came out my mouth I remembered that my hockey team just scraped into the playoffs ranked #17 (so unofficially not good enough to get in really) and when moments from elimination in the first round went on a 11 out of 12 game win marathon and are now in the finals.

So yeah. Realism!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Adrianics posted:

Jamie's plotline was great up until the completely asinine scene when the Man City fans, for absolutely no reason at all, went from showering him with abuse to applauding him off the pitch. I loving love the actor who plays his father and it was disappointing that he was reduced to a super-quick silent appearance in prison (???).

I assumed rehab, since the show is largely about people trying to be better.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I said out loud it was ridiculous that Richmond were on a 15 game win streak to challenge the title after just scraping back into the Premiership… as the words came out my mouth I remembered that my hockey team just scraped into the playoffs ranked #17 (so unofficially not good enough to get in really) and when moments from elimination in the first round went on a 11 out of 12 game win marathon and are now in the finals.

So yeah. Realism!

Hell, Leicester City just barely escaped relegation the season before they went on to win the EPL. So it ain't even that unrealistic for soccer, just improbable.

That said, a 15-game winning streak is certifiably bonkers in the there's-really-no-way-this-could-happen kind of way and would have Ted basically being a shoo-in for Manager of the Season.

esperantinc posted:

The biggest thing that bothered me about Pep is that Ted and Beard went all fangirly after the chat. That's a moment that they would've had with one another at least 5 previous times since Ted has taken over.

lol yeah I thought that was real weird too.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Leicester city won the premier league two seasons after winning promotion, nobody remembers Claudio Ranieri as one of the most legendary coaches in the history of the game despite this stupendous achievement

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Depression is a joke and also is something you get over after a talk with your mommy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PantsBandit posted:

Depression is a joke and also is something you get over after a talk with your mommy.

That's not what happened in the episode.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Also situational depression as opposed to clinical/general depression is absolutely a thing

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Beard and Nate's scene was pretty great.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Who gives a gently caress about soccer, show us more of Simon’s culinary adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

So yeah. Realism!

I’ve been rooting so hard for the Panthers after they took out Boston. If they win the cup I’m hoping you won’t even be able to see the ice underneath all the rubber rats.