Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They have a technology that puts the radio parts out of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sounds like the thing Ukraine is building is a bit like Civil War monitors - a ship that floats but is almost entirely underwater is hard to spot and hard to hit, but still avoids most of the problems of a submarine. Lots of drag, though, so the low visibility has to be good enough to make up the difference vs the super fast speedboat-style designs.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Just hire some folks that build narco subs, but swap out the coke for torpedoes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Just hire some folks that build narco subs, but swap out the coke for torpedoes.

cia shifts in their seat uncomfortably

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Wonder why they sent those out in broad daylight?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
underwater coms always suck a gently caress

there are certain ways to do it reliably over long distances but it would not work for anything resembling timely remote control

far more easy to have the unit pop an antenna up

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Worse still, underwater Xcoms.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Some would say encountering a lobsterman in a cruise ship bathroom is a pretty rough way to start a relationship, said people do not understand the importance of strapping on a drill and wrasslin'.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1661382232190140416

So one thing I don't quite get, is that everything I've seen so far of marine drones seems to be operating on the surface. Wouldn't they be a lot harder to counter if they were under the surface? I.e. submarine drones? So what it is that that seems to make the surface-operating ones more common?

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1661724151520849920?s=20

They didn't get all of them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Did someone else get promoted to submarine?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661508713981571073

quote:

Russian "Veteran's Notes" channel describes a problem preventing Russians from using counter-battery fire near borders - there's too much Russian EW which suppresses Russian drones (mavics) preventing artillery adjusting. Meanwhile, Ukrainians are switching to other frequencies en masse to bypass Russian EW.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Did someone else get promoted to submarine?

Internet said that it isn't really optimal place for torpedo to hit, so its probably not in the Black Sea submarine fleet yet, but if that drone detonated that thing isn't going anywhere on its own power for the rest of this war.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Der Kyhe posted:

Internet said that it isn't really optimal place for torpedo to hit, so its probably not in the Black Sea submarine fleet yet, but if that drone detonated that thing isn't going anywhere on its own power for the rest of this war.

Still would like some confirmation that it did go boom effectively.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Unless that wasn't the last of three, it's unlikely Ukraine can provide that, and Russia probably really don't want to, so the only real possible confirmation is the inverse, if Ivan Khurs is later spotted intact.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tuna-Fish posted:

Unless that wasn't the last of three, it's unlikely Ukraine can provide that, and Russia probably really don't want to, so the only real possible confirmation is the inverse, if Ivan Khurs is later spotted intact.

I'm sure the US or allies has imagery of the boat either intact or with a hole. Until that is released I'm going to stay optimistic but not believing.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/UnseenOps/status/1661499544297717762?t=KRn_DRjyz58NMurlD9ExnQ&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That poo poo fucks hard.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
That's Eastern Orthodox as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is hardcore.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

I would absolutely jump on that poo poo if they sell it for charity

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sitting above them all: the plate that, against all odds (and I do mean all odds), stopped a 40mm shell and kept a man intact and unhurt*, instead of a rapidly-expanding red cloud.

*his pants were probably a total loss, but such is war :cry:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

the video of it shows a successful attack. it approaches the ship to within a meter or two and the signal dies[because it blew up]. that's a successful attack

I would love to know how effective it was though

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 25, 2023

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the video of it shows a successful attack. it approaches the ship to within a meter or two and the signal dies[because it blew up]. that's a successful attack

I would love to know how effective it was though

It will be interesting to see whether it actually does any damage. On a purely intuitive level, it feels like the vast vast majority of the blast would be going into the water and air. Some fraction of the blast energy would reach the ship, but only after dissipating by the inverse-square law. On the other hand, I'd imagine a tank or a building might not do so hot if a 500 kg bomb goes off 2 meters away.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Approximately a quarter ton explosives were used for the USS Cole attack and it did significant damage with considerable loss of life. It then took over a year before she was repaired and returned to service.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Storkrasch posted:

It will be interesting to see whether it actually does any damage. On a purely intuitive level, it feels like the vast vast majority of the blast would be going into the water and air. Some fraction of the blast energy would reach the ship, but only after dissipating by the inverse-square law. On the other hand, I'd imagine a tank or a building might not do so hot if a 500 kg bomb goes off 2 meters away.

People have been bumping booms up against ship hulls for literally hundreds of years at this point.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Storkrasch posted:

Well, as a reference point, on the high end they estimated the explosives used in the USS Cole attack to be less than 350kg and it did this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not a bombologist, but from my basic (VERY basic, so if one of you is a Bombologist, feel free to correct me), maritime weapons have slightly different considerations.

Ships are built to take hits, because if your tank gets killed, you can walk home- not so much at sea. They are designed to be broken and still float, so they are hard to kill. Armor belts, 100 years of lessons in Damage Control, and advances in tech and metallurgy make modern maintained war ships pretty drat hearty.

The water creates issues with the physics of the explosive detonation- with smaller mines placed against the hull, it's beneficial, acting as a backer for the shaped charge. You can do neat things like cavitation charges that break the ship's keel. But with surface explosives, it does nothing but gently caress up your wonderfully crafted bomb.

The movement of the water ensures you will not be pressed against your target. That space and standoff negates eats some of the force. Most of the explosive- just like on Terra firma- is wasted in atmosphere. It is a factor in why some ship's in naval combat can just eat hit after hit. But even the best built ship will sink if the hole is large enough or ignored enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I would kill to know how Russian damage control drills and training and practices have changed since the Moskva.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not a bombologist, but from my basic (VERY basic, so if one of you is a Bombologist, feel free to correct me), maritime weapons have slightly different considerations.

Ships are built to take hits, because if your tank gets killed, you can walk home- not so much at sea. They are designed to be broken and still float, so they are hard to kill. Armor belts, 100 years of lessons in Damage Control, and advances in tech and metallurgy make modern maintained war ships pretty drat hearty.

The water creates issues with the physics of the explosive detonation- with smaller mines placed against the hull, it's beneficial, acting as a backer for the shaped charge. You can do neat things like cavitation charges that break the ship's keel. But with surface explosives, it does nothing but gently caress up your wonderfully crafted bomb.

The movement of the water ensures you will not be pressed against your target. That space and standoff negates eats some of the force. Most of the explosive- just like on Terra firma- is wasted in atmosphere. It is a factor in why some ship's in naval combat can just eat hit after hit. But even the best built ship will sink if the hole is large enough or ignored enough.

Counterpoint: the Moskva was the flagship of the entire fleet and was maintained worse than a garbage scow.

It’s entirely possible this ship was storing barrels of nitroglycerin covered in black powder and matchsticks.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

bulletsponge13 posted:

To paraphrase conversations I've had with sailors: "Every Marine a rifleman, every sailor a firefighter."

The stories of Cole and Stark get burned hard into sailors' memories.

Contrast that to the Fitzgerald and the McCain though. Yikes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The Cole is a damage control success story. Not the biggest (that'd be the Samuel B. Roberts, which was an essentially goddamned miraculous save), but far better than the cautionary tale of the Stark.

Which was also a success (it saved the ship), but at a high cost.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Even if it was a purely surface putting enough explosives up against the hull and then blowing it up is going to cause significant damage.

Yes the cole is a success story of damage control but it was still out of service for like a year. Also as much as I like to give the navy poo poo they are clearly Superior at taking care of their boats then the Russians are.

Also some of those drone images we've seen the explosive package may have been submerged and that changes the math.

My point is just because it intuitively doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't work. It just means you don't understand how it can work. But clearly as evidenced by hundreds of years of naval warfare it does work.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Don't almost all modern warships forego armor entirely in favor of weight and speed savings? Not that I know poo poo about crap, since my knowledge is based entirely on videogames and wikipedia binges.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

ArmyGroup303 posted:

To paraphrase conversations I've had with sailors: "Every Marine a rifleman, every sailor a firefighter."

The stories of Cole and Stark get burned hard into sailors' memories.

Contrast that to the Fitzgerald and the McCain though. Yikes.

I know what you mean now, but for a second I thought the USN was constantly drilling on what to do when the witch of November come stealin'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is loving incredible.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

Don't almost all modern warships forego armor entirely in favor of weight and speed savings? Not that I know poo poo about crap, since my knowledge is based entirely on videogames and wikipedia binges.

There are videos on the internet where the navy expends a hull to test how effective the design is at absorbing damage. They can take a lot of damage when built right even without the massive armor plate of 20th century battleships.

They always go down to one hit from a mk48 though. Those things just hit different.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Modern torpedoes don't damage ships by exploding on them.

Torpedoes damage ships by exploding under them causing a massive water void which expands then instantly collapses, rocking the keel up and down, breaking its back, and snapping the ship in two.

Armor doesn't help. You need a reinforced and flexible keel that can absorb the shock. And even then, the hull gets warped to hell and back.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 26, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spoggerific posted:

There is no armor good to stop something the size of a AShM. The newest ones are Javelin's the size of a Volkswagen. You're defense is to break the kill chain, not to tank the hit. If you somehow take a 1000lb hit and still have your socks what keeps you floating is good compartmentalization and damage control. Water tight bulkheads and sealed structures, as well as modern high power dewatering pumps.

And once you leave the air, nothing stops a Mk48.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
SECDEF and CJCS gave a press briefing after the 12th meeting of the Ukraine contact group. Not much concrete announced.

Video here:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?528333-1/secretary-austin-general-milley-news-conference

Highlights / Parahrasing (transcript not out in a friendly format yet):

-Netherlands and Denmark taking lead on training Ukrainians on F-16s, and there is discussion of maybe other 4th gen aircraft. No real idea of timeline, when fielded, how many, etc. There is a LOT that goes into standing up functional fixed-wing squadrons, with a new type of aircraft.
-Continuing to work on building new or determining what air defenses can be donated to Ukraine.
-Continuing to ramp up industrial base and production.
-When asked why F-16 decision reversed and why US hasn't donated their own F-16s, Austin repeats similar comments to what were already made previously, essentially. Points out that the US has focused on the things that are most important and critical to defend themselves. Points out that air defenses have paid off well, and can be fielded faster and cheaper than something like F-16s. Also points out the 9 armored and mechanized brigades supplied and trained. Milley says the fastest, quickest, cheapest way to contest the airspace and deny air superiority to the Russians, as has been done. Milley states that fielding and sustaining F-16s is about $2 billion to buy and sustain 10 aircraft, and Russia has 1,000 aircraft, between 4th and 5th gen. Argues the GBAD was the smartest way to contest the air, but F-16s will have some role in the future.
-Milley confirms there are no magic weapons in war.
-Milley lays out that when determining how/what to give to Ukraine, there are cost, risk, benefit analysis.
-Milley: USEUCOM staff is evaluating whether or not US equipment was taken into Russia on the recent raid. He can't say whether or not that was US equipment. He reiterates that the US has asked Ukraine not to use any US donated equipment to directly attack into Russia. The conflict includes the US and NATO training, advising, assisting, supporting defense of Ukraine in their war, but this is not a war between the US or NATO and Russia. Austin: the weapons donated are to defend Ukrainian sovereign territory.
-As is typical, points out that it's an international effort, and some countries can and do provide weapons, others training, others funding.
-When asked if the strategy is to help Ukraine get a decisive win or to get a better hand at a negotiated settlement, Austin says Ukrainians decide the goal, and the international community is supporting their significant fight and defense of their country. There is a balance to what can be provided for them to pull soldiers off the line to train versus remaining on the lines. Milley: All wars come to an end either with a clear victory or a negotiated settlement. Russia is not going to win this war, militarily. Ukrainian objectives to liberate all of Ukrainian territory occupied by Russian forces might be achievable militarily someday, but not in the near term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
There is zero chance that the Russian Navy can do any damage control so bumping against a sea turtle could send one to the bottom.

I imagine the pipe patching kits are all just rolls of toilet paper and cartoonishly large I.O.U. cards