Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly when i read the bug that solution is the first thing that popped into my head. its a weird bug but it seems pretty obvious how it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1658458181281136642

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What version are you playing with that shots fired bug? I'm quite sure I did that quest with different items each time.

I might have sold the old version though. That might be another fix.

Or.... Maybe I picked in a different order than you did. It could be some kind of weird priority check.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are any of these versions a piece of poo poo like the PS4 ports of the Crossbell arc? Or can we safely pick any of them?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Are any of these versions a piece of poo poo like the PS4 ports of the Crossbell arc? Or can we safely pick any of them?

PC port will be the best for having resolution, Anti Aliasing, and unlimited draw distance options. FPS is capped to 60 for all versions for game logic reasons. PS4, Switch and PC ports use the exact same assets though and the Switch port was the first one Falcom did in house themselves.

So PC > PS4 = Switch, essentially.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PC it is then. Thanks!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm kinda cheesing my way through Nightmare difficulty on CS1 by doing it in NG++ with my decked out level 99 characters.

Crushing it so far!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Azure, end of Chapter 4. Massive spoilers below; you’ve been warned!

Wow, I’m genuinely in shock about the reveal that Arios killed Guy. Arios’ casual admission of the act, almost as if his brother’s murder is something Lloyd shouldn’t even care about, was genuinely chilling.

I remember thinking on a few occasions that Arios’ behavior seemed a little off, but it makes sense if he’s been working with the Crois family all along.

I wonder if the writers were trying to draw a parallel with Cassius, to suggest that Cassius could have and perhaps would have followed a similar path if Estelle had been killed or permanently disabled in the incident that killed his wife.

Anyway, I’m gonna take a day or two away from the game before continuing. I’m feeling a bit emotionally drained after that last scene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lmao

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

Got the fight in Azure that I was struck at to 15% then wiped cause of mistake or misprediction.

Might just go grind some levels
First time I regretted picking hard difficulty

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

One of the best things that the later Cold Steel games did is allow you to change difficulty mid-game.

I played Cold Steel 1 on normal difficulty and made it through most of the game with no problem. But then I kept getting absolutely demolished during the C fight and ended up having to cheese it out of pure frustration. The cheese method dragged the fight out for over an hour but it was the only way I could get through it.

If I'd been able to simply go into the options menu and drop the difficulty to easy then I would have been a lot happier with it. I think it'll let you temporarily drop the difficulty if you die repeatedly during a boss fight but I didn't find that out until later, and you shouldn't have to do that in the first place. It should let you change the difficulty any time you want, and the later games finally got it right.

The other big QoL upgrade is the option to be able to open chests without having to wait for random conversations to end. I can't count the number of times I've been aggravated by having to stand in front of a chest with a big X over the open button while the characters were rambling about something. It's such a weird, annoying thing to put in a game. I've literally never seen anything like that in any other game I've ever played.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

...! posted:

One of the best things that the later Cold Steel games did is allow you to change difficulty mid-game.

I played Cold Steel 1 on normal difficulty and made it through most of the game with no problem. But then I kept getting absolutely demolished during the C fight and ended up having to cheese it out of pure frustration. The cheese method dragged the fight out for over an hour but it was the only way I could get through it.

If I'd been able to simply go into the options menu and drop the difficulty to easy then I would have been a lot happier with it. I think it'll let you temporarily drop the difficulty if you die repeatedly during a boss fight but I didn't find that out until later, and you shouldn't have to do that in the first place. It should let you change the difficulty any time you want, and the later games finally got it right.

The other big QoL upgrade is the option to be able to open chests without having to wait for random conversations to end. I can't count the number of times I've been aggravated by having to stand in front of a chest with a big X over the open button while the characters were rambling about something. It's such a weird, annoying thing to put in a game. I've literally never seen anything like that in any other game I've ever played.

Actually, lowering the difficulty upon retrying a battle (any battle that triggers a game over if you lose) after losing has been part of the series since Sky FC was ported to consoles. Which option is better depends on whether you have trouble with encounters in general or just the odd fight every now and then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

...! posted:

Yeah this is something I appreciated after going back to CS1/2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In CS2 it's actually an option whether you want active voices to lock interactions or not:

Why you would ever want this locked is a mystery to me, but you can just switch it off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strange, I might need to check my CS3 settings because it seems to have reverted to wait.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

...! posted:

CS4's map markers for new dialogue were both a blessing and a curse

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why you would ever want this locked is a mystery to me, but you can just switch it off.

Does opening a chest interupt the conversation? If so, I could see leaving it locked as to not interupt something you may want to fully hear.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Opening a chest basically skips to the end of the conversation.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

In CS2 it's actually an option whether you want active voices to lock interactions or not:

Yeah, and it defaults to on. So it's clear that people must have complained about it but it's equally clear that Falcom must really want people to listen to those conversations in their entirety for some reason. I don't know why; they never say anything important.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

BisterdDave posted:

Does opening a chest interupt the conversation? If so, I could see leaving it locked as to not interupt something you may want to fully hear.

Yeah, aka, its mandatory to keep wait on lol.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Man, playing Oath on Switch is a bit of a trip; there is a speed increase function that operates at both 1.5x and 2x for everything in the game rather than just dialogue or town segments. I don't know if i've played many action-based games that have a speed function aside from auto frame skip on emulators.

I assume it might get unplayable during harder segments and boss fights, but it's interesting to say the least.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

BisterdDave posted:

Even if that is the case, the full conversation is still recorded in the log, so you can just open that up and read or listen to the rest afterwards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only important conversations are for playing on the escalators in Roer, and there are no chests there

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

*sign* this fight is gonna take me like 2 hours even if I succeed. I try to split up and place her in a corner, but sometimes she will just charge to the other side.
and if i mess up using Tio's shield, its an instant team wipe since it hits everyone

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

GateOfD posted:

*sign* this fight is gonna take me like 2 hours even if I succeed. I try to split up and place her in a corner, but sometimes she will just charge to the other side.
and if i mess up using Tio's shield, its an instant team wipe since it hits everyone

Good Luck.

I always do my first playthrough on easy, since its common to have to fight certain bosses like Leonhardt, half a dozen times to see all the games text and I wanna get that done in 5 minutes, not 50.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GateOfD posted:

Yep, sometimes she can just move across the field even if you've got her occupied with an Evasion Tank in a corner.

It helps to have someone who can cast Adamantine Shield, and to have a supply of Headsman's Noodles or other such high-CP giving items. You feed Tio the CP-giving items to get her CP back over 100 in case you need it. Tio of course should have the True Gladiator Belt on. Having three shields helps a lot to keep the squishy people alive while Lloyd drags her back to the other side. (Lloyd should have the Strega Omegas for crazy-high movement.)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If the boss often speeds past you, you could try using Rixia as a frontliner instead of Lloyd. Her Dragon Claws craft has much longer range than Lloyd's Raging Spin and can drag enemies in from really far away.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Apparently in the Finale chapter of Azure, there's a certain monster which appears on one of the highways (Hydra Plant and Plant Arm), but it only has a small chance of appearing. Does anyone have a description (or preferably a screenshot) of specifically WHERE it appears? I think those are the only two enemies missing for the all combat data achievement.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I've seen it show up on the left near the start of the path to Stargazers Tower, and on the road to Mainz near Crossbell city. Not sure what kind of load you need to make it show up if you don't see it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

JavaJesus posted:

I've seen it show up on the left near the start of the path to Stargazers Tower, and on the road to Mainz near Crossbell city. Not sure what kind of load you need to make it show up if you don't see it.

It's usually entering a town or whatever at the end of a road section. I got it on the Mainz road after a few attempts.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Apparently in the Finale chapter of Azure, there's a certain monster which appears on one of the highways (Hydra Plant and Plant Arm), but it only has a small chance of appearing. Does anyone have a description (or preferably a screenshot) of specifically WHERE it appears? I think those are the only two enemies missing for the all combat data achievement.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's usually entering a town or whatever at the end of a road section. I got it on the Mainz road after a few attempts.

A goon who answers their own question, a shameful goon

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

finally got past the big wall in Azure.

ended up choosing Noel as my one true final choice. I forgive you.

Time to storm the city. oh yay, Estelle, Joshua, and Renne finally showed up. Was wondering if the game was really gonna end without seeing them again. Love that Estelle and Joshua don't give a gently caress and just runs up to smack that giant blue mech.

I remember they also did that during their entrance in Cold Steel. Are they the only ones that actually do that? I seem to remember cold steel crowd always just go "oh no, we need our own robots to fight now!" and none of them are crazy enough to punch a giant robot with their fists.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Estelle's been hitting robots with her stick for like 4 years ingame by Cold Steel 4. She's not scared.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

GateOfD posted:

ended up choosing Noel as my one true final choice. I forgive you.

I'd be more willing to forgive her than I'd be willing to forgive (Cold Steel series) Claire.

Claire
broke my heart and can never be forgiven. No redemption :mad:

But I still never used Noel again. :colbert:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Respect the power of the Stick. Accept no imitators.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You all better not be badmouthing my girl Noel.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Noel is great as a character, but her utility does kind of drop off a cliff after the early chapters of Azure because it's a game where arts are just so much better than crafts. Same reason Randy kinda falls off too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

You all better not be badmouthing my girl Noel.

Deal with it :smugbert:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

her craft where she just runs them over with her car seems to remind one of the few singular crafts that actually does some damage.
but yea i been using her as my Mars spamming crimson laser role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

GateOfD posted:

her craft where she just runs them over with her car seems to remind one of the few singular crafts that actually does some damage.
but yea i been using her as my Mars spamming crimson laser role

No, don't. She's evil.