Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I went back to Branded Despia for a bit after crafting two That Grass Looks Greener. Not playing any Tearlaments, and only the Ishizu shufflers, not the millers. My most satisfying game so far was a mediocre opening hand that ended up on double Masquerade. My opponent turns out to play Ishizu Tear, and starts playing into it blindly, until he's at 800 life with basically no field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Master Duel WCS Qualifiers has started. It is basically like the Duelist Cup except 400 more gems than usual; getting to DL 19 confers all the gems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God help me, there's a game store in walking distance, and my finger is hovering over the buy button to pick up 3 Albaz Strike decks and enough singles to make a passable casual Branded Shaddolls pile. Someone please talk me out of spending $50 on a game I haven't played IRL in 5 years.

Edit: Too late.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 17, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh 50 bucks for a deck aint nothing, hell yeah

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My main argument to convince you not to go is 'there WILL be a Kashtira player'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its okay to buy a cheap kinda out of meta deck for your lgs. Its not about getting first place for fucks sake

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

God help me, there's a game store in walking distance, and my finger is hovering over the buy button to pick up 3 Albaz Strike decks and enough singles to make a passable casual Branded Shaddolls pile. Someone please talk me out of spending $50 on a game I haven't played IRL in 5 years.

Edit: Too late.

This is how I started playing after playing duel links and master duel. 3 Albaz strike decks, put in dogmatika, invoked and shaddoll and it was pretty solid. Funny enough, I have gone through a bunch of different decks but I literally just made a branded dogmatika ritual deck and it performs pretty well too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The one thing that still throws me off with Tearlaments is that they get to activate their “if sent to GY” effects if they’re detached from an XYZ to activate it’s effect, since I thought that one of the big limiters on XYZs was that the “if sent to GY” effects of the materials wouldn’t activate specifically to prevent shenanigans with stuff like the original versions of Sangan and Witch of the Black Forest

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regalingualius posted:

The one thing that still throws me off with Tearlaments is that they get to activate their “if sent to GY” effects if they’re detached from an XYZ to activate it’s effect, since I thought that one of the big limiters on XYZs was that the “if sent to GY” effects of the materials wouldn’t activate specifically to prevent shenanigans with stuff like the original versions of Sangan and Witch of the Black Forest

No, Xyz materials are sent to the graveyard , they're not on the field (which is what catches Sangan and Witch of the Black Forest). This is also why they blank the banish myself stuff, since they're all worded as leaves the field banish instead.

Edit: I realise I worded this weirdly. Xyz Materials cease to be cards on the field when used for an Xyz summon, but detaching an Xyz Material does send it to the graveyard.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 17, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also note that most XYZ monsters detach their materials as a cost and therefore will not trigger Tear cards (which need to be sent to the gy by an effect). For example, detaching Schieren from Abyss Dweller will not trigger it. However there are some exceptions that detach their materials as an effect which will trigger Tears, most notably Time Thief Redoer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh 50 bucks for a deck aint nothing, hell yeah

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its okay to buy a cheap kinda out of meta deck for your lgs

Hizke posted:

This is how I started playing after playing duel links and master duel. 3 Albaz strike decks, put in dogmatika, invoked and shaddoll and it was pretty solid. Funny enough, I have gone through a bunch of different decks but I literally just made a branded dogmatika ritual deck and it performs pretty well too.

Thanks, y'all. :unsmith:

I'm thinking I'll also get my hands on some Super Poly while it's still at 3 and go with a blind second pile. 3 DRNM, 3 Shaddoll Fusion, and 3 Super Polymerization is a decent stock of board breakers and go-second cards, especially if I slowly add some Evenly Matched, too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eyy, I finally beat the last Duel Puzzle in WC2006 the other day. Last one I had to do was Revenge of Shien, which is a little harder than it needs to be because the localisation of one of the monsters obscures the hint. It has a couple of red herring options for every move, too.

The opponent controls Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Obnoxious Celtic Guard and Mirror Wall. They have no cards in hand or deck.

On your side, you have Tenkabito Shien, two face-down Iron Blacksmith Kotetsu, and a face-down Kageningen. In the back row, you have Aqua Chorus, The League of Uniform Nomenclature, Shien's Spy, A Rival Appears!, and Book of Moon.
In hand, you have Kagemusha of the Blue Flame, Masaki the Legendary Swordsman, Metal Armored Bug, Tyrant Dragon, Gaia Power and Molten Destruction.
Your deck contains two Kagemusha, two Kageningen, Lightning Blade, Salamandra and Cthonian Alliance. Your opponent has 3900 LP. Win the duel this turn.

And to get out ahead of the obvious first question, Mirror Wall doesn't target, so Tyrant Dragon's effect can't do anything about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 18, 2023

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
... You sure that's the right trap on the AI's side? Mirror Gate only works if you're attacking Elemental Heroes.

*edit*

Hmm, Call of the Earthbound would make the most sense for this puzzle, and that card only existed in Japan in 2006, which would explain localization problems.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 18, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ardeem posted:

... You sure that's the right trap on the AI's side? Mirror Gate only works if you're attacking Elemental Heroes.

*edit*

Hmm, Call of the Earthbound would make the most sense for this puzzle, and that card only existed in Japan in 2006, which would explain localization problems.

Mirror Wall, sorry. The one that halves anything attacking.

All the cards present are correct and have their final English names. The localisation issue is with a card that already existed in English cardboard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is what I ended up making with the decks, though I might end up messing with the ratios on the S/Ts a little bit, and might pull the Thunder Kings to put a couple Levianeer in there instead. Still open on feedback, Locals isn't until Sunday evening.

And this is the version I'll probably be spending about another $15-20 to upgrade to, if I end up liking how the deck plays in paper (which is always a little different from how a deck plays in MD). Biggest changes are picking up the stuff to lean a bit harder into the Despia side of thing, especially for Masquerade, but I'll also be picking up a Super Poly for funsies and an Ultimate Falcon as a WtD target.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 20, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I tried yu-gi-oh last night.

Wow its super loving complex. I will never be able to understand it, there are simply too many chains and poo poo to memorize. I completely bounced off it.

Hearthstone completely warped my perception of TCG's, i have no chance at this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hearthstone was already a simplification of TCGs and is the outlier until mobile TCGs got popular.
Youre staring down 25 years of inevitable power and complexity creep.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hearthstone was already a simplification of TCGs and is the outlier until mobile TCGs got popular.
Youre staring down 25 years of inevitable power and complexity creep.
Hearthstone may have been a simplification once upon a time, but it's still a whole-rear end game, not Club Penguin Card-Jitsu.

Al-Saqr posted:

I tried yu-gi-oh last night.

Wow its super loving complex. I will never be able to understand it, there are simply too many chains and poo poo to memorize. I completely bounced off it.

Hearthstone completely warped my perception of TCG's, i have no chance at this.
If it helps? Compare Hearthstone at launch to Hearthstone now. Now quintuple that. The reason it's so incredibly complicated is that you're trying to learn 25 years worth of game at once.

If you want to take a shot at learning the game in an actually helpful environment, instead of just drinking out of a firehose, Yugioh Master Duel is free to play (on Steam and consoles!) and does a very good job teaching you the basics.

(Admittedly, then you still have the hill to climb from 'what the gently caress is an Xyz Summon' to 'what the gently caress was that combo why did he get to summon twelve guys', but at least you'll understand the base mechanics.)

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i feel like i have my limit with ygo complexity and it's about early-mid vrains era. not that links are all that bad, that's just when extenders got completely out of control & turn length doubled. probably done with duel links for now, had a good run, waiting patiently for the rush duel app

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the best way in is probably to find a Youtuber you like and watch a bunch of games. Just knowing the rules or a particular deck can't really prepare you for how the game is played, you need someone talking through their decisionmaking in actual games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're not watching LukeVonKarma's subscriber replay videos, you're missing out on some of the best gameplay around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yLhCbaJX8

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dabir posted:

If you're not watching LukeVonKarma's subscriber replay videos, you're missing out on some of the best gameplay around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yLhCbaJX8

It's consistently astonishingly good content.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yesterday i had someone playing sky strikers scoop on turn 2 when all i did was put down wynn and then use fairy tail tales to get out luna, couldn't even click the "activate?" prompt before they were gone lmao

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've definitely gotten to the point in Link Evolution where I can't continue using the story decks, which kind of annoys me since that was what got me playing the game in the first place since I'm an anime fan, not an actual card game player and haven't been for years. I did very little of classic and GX, until Bommer vs Rua in 5D's, a bit more of Zexal, got to the Fusion Dimension in Arc-V and did literally nothing beyond the tutorial in Vrains because Gouki happened.

Any tips on how to build and play a deck for someone that hasn't played for years but has some rudimentary knowledge of the game and follows several people on Youtube?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've definitely gotten to the point in Link Evolution where I can't continue using the story decks, which kind of annoys me since that was what got me playing the game in the first place since I'm an anime fan, not an actual card game player and haven't been for years. I did very little of classic and GX, until Bommer vs Rua in 5D's, a bit more of Zexal, got to the Fusion Dimension in Arc-V and did literally nothing beyond the tutorial in Vrains because Gouki happened.

Any tips on how to build and play a deck for someone that hasn't played for years but has some rudimentary knowledge of the game and follows several people on Youtube?

The ban list doesn't apply in single player, so there's nothing stopping you from cramming 3x Pot of Greed (from Bakura's booster pack), 3x Graceful Charity (from Grandpa Muto's booster pack), and 3x Upstart Goblin (from Mai's booster pack) in your deck to speed things up immensely. You can then slap in any 2K attack 4* monster like Zombino (from Bakura) and combine it with Seal of Orichalcos (from Mai) and fairly easily tear through all of classic and GX's story.

If you have Tetsu Trudge's pack in 5D's unlocked, you can make a Spyral deck off of it, which was Tier 0 back in the day.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I stomped through the entirety of the single-player in that game by just building a Blue-Eyes Chaos Max OTK deck.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Another good way to cruise through the game is to build Mekk Knights.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I remember Gravekeeper's not being that bad, just about all their cards can be gotten from I think Granpa Muto's pack? And I imagine up until maybe the Pend or Vrains era, very few decks can get over Supernaturalist + Necrovalley.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Wake up bitches, new banlist just dropped!

https://twitter.com/YuGiOh_TCG/status/1662488988769300482

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Lol at them dropping it in the middle of a YCS event.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hasn't that Superheavy Samurai only been out for like a week

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Kinda surprised all they did to Kashtira is limit Arise Heart to 1. I was expecting them to hit Shangri-La at least too.

EDIT: Missed that Unicorn is at 2.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kinda surprised all they did to Kashtira is limit Arise Heart to 1. I was expecting them to hit Shangri-La at least too.

EDIT: Missed that Unicorn is at 2.

The diablosis hit is pretty big too, but yeah at 1 the deck is still gonna be the best deck. Also :lmao: at unicorn to 2. Limit or ban it, a semi does nothing when you can find it in a million ways!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dabir posted:

Hasn't that Superheavy Samurai only been out for like a week

The link is several years old.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Julias posted:

The diablosis hit is pretty big too, but yeah at 1 the deck is still gonna be the best deck. Also :lmao: at unicorn to 2. Limit or ban it, a semi does nothing when you can find it in a million ways!

The Kash hits are so loving worthless lol

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lol not giving Superheavies or Purrely any time at all to play with their toys huh?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vandar posted:

Lol not giving Superheavies or Purrely any time at all to play with their toys huh?

It doesn't even really effect ShS ability to exist as a very light and consistent synchro engine in other decks. This takes some resources from that but you can get to strong end boards off of 1 card ShS combos still. This is just loving archetype as it's on deal way more than as an engine lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Surprised Naturia warranted a hit, putting Tree to 1 really cripples the engine

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
ShS and Purrely have been playable for like...2 weeks and this ban list hits them harder or as hard as it does Kash.

A dogshit banlist.

At least Bird Up is playable again 1 year after it was anywhere close to viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Since the lockdown, I've basically left M:tG behind beyond a game of Commander about once a month. One thing that I definitely miss is actual communication. Whenever there was a banlist for Magic, there'd be an article where they talked about the state of the format, heavily drawing from data accumulated from their online clients. For each card for which the status changed, they'd explain what exactly it was about that card that's (no longer) problematic. Even if there's no updates for a particular format, they'd usually still mention which cards/decks they're keeping an eye on for future updates.