Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I dread to think what a poo poo show it would of been if putin had waited 5-10 years and let NATO/west fracture more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm not sure another 5-10 years would have been kinder to Russia than the West.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

I disagree about Romney.

Outside of their troll farms and the nuclear arsenal (assuming that it works, of course) Russia is not anywhere close to being the main threat to the US.

Now, a regional threat to their neighbors? Totally different story, as we've seen time and again.

The number one threat to the USA is itself. And is closely followed by a belligerent Chinese communist party bent of expanding the empire one small neighbour at a time.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1661644947244695552
Nice try, not good enough. Get used to counting bars in prison.

In march of this year?? why the gently caress would you sign up to help russia this late in a game they are clearly losing

OAquinas posted:

I disagree about Romney.

Outside of their troll farms and the nuclear arsenal (assuming that it works, of course) Russia is not anywhere close to being the main threat to the US.

Now, a regional threat to their neighbors? Totally different story, as we've seen time and again.

that is at least a threat to US interests, which the US has been known to care about, not to mention the associated humanitarian crimes and crises which the US also sometimes cares about

e:

Tai posted:

I dread to think what a poo poo show it would of been if putin had waited 5-10 years and let NATO/west fracture more.

:same:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Bluemillion posted:

The last real man in the republican party.

He was just a general bloodthirsty warhawk who happened to make some correct observations in this case. You do not, as the saying goes, have to hand it to him.

I mean, the best you can say is that even then you had to grade the Republican party on a curve and that makes him look better by comparison.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Getting some Gripen in the hands of Ukraine is probably the best chance of kick-starting its export sales. If they no longer have to worry about being first because of F-16, there has to be a reasonable push from those inside Sweden and Saab to give some to Ukraine.

Czechia seem to be more keen to offload their L-159s (both cheaper per airframe and a chance to raise export interest)
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/czech-president-ukraine-could-have-our-l-159-jets-2023-05-10/

Then how long until Macron feels the need to get Rafale in the conversation...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

the popes toes posted:

More Russophobia. However, due to public outcry, he will retain "Honorable Mention" in the city's Eyebrow Museum.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661730084494118915?cxt=HHwWhsDQ7aSt048uAAAA

Leonid Bresznev is in the category of people like Spiro Agnew and Janine Garofalo where I only know of them because they get name dropped in songs.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Randarkman posted:

I'm not sure another 5-10 years would have been kinder to Russia than the West.

Ukraine managed to rebuild its military completely in 8 years. Imagine what they could have done in 18 years. Russia meanwhile would probably look pretty much the same, militarily, minus 10 more years of graft.

Also Putin would probably be dead, so there's that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1661765991116726273
I can't see the tweet but I've been assured that it says:

quote:

Strelkov Igor Ivanovich #KRP According to not fully verified, but nevertheless, data - "Ivan Khurs" goes under its own power for repairs (where I can not write) to correct the damage received.

I think they said the same thing about Moskva so let's see. Seems likely that drone did indeed detonate very close if not on impact.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Getting some Gripen in the hands of Ukraine is probably the best chance of kick-starting its export sales. If they no longer have to worry about being first because of F-16, there has to be a reasonable push from those inside Sweden and Saab to give some to Ukraine.

Czechia seem to be more keen to offload their L-159s (both cheaper per airframe and a chance to raise export interest)
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/czech-president-ukraine-could-have-our-l-159-jets-2023-05-10/

Then how long until Macron feels the need to get Rafale in the conversation...
Hopefully this turns into an MIC dickwaving competition and ends up with Ukraine getting F-35s and B-21s.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jonny Nox posted:

Leonid Bresznev is in the category of people like Spiro Agnew and Janine Garofalo where I only know of them because they get name dropped in songs.

A fellow Final Cut enjoyer, I see

Shame about Waters now though

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Eh, Waters was always like this more or less, he just got older and the worms ate into his brian.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1661782594625626112
Scratch two more flying coffins off the list.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Storkrasch posted:

Ukraine managed to rebuild its military completely in 8 years. Imagine what they could have done in 18 years. Russia meanwhile would probably look pretty much the same, militarily, minus 10 more years of graft.

Also Putin would probably be dead, so there's that.

I think we need to start mentally preparing ourselves for more 80, 90, and eventually more than zero 100+ year old rulers and politicians in the near future, unfortunately.

Ramses II allegedly made it to 92, imagine that becoming the norm for modern wannabe pharaohs.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

House to house fighting in Bakhmut as Ukraine continues to swing around the city. Russian regulars are getting a very warm welcome from the Ukrianians as they retake formerly Wagner positions. Funny enough Wagner is basically sending them INTO ukrianian firing positions going "yeah our lines are over there just head there remember no Ukrianians are in Bakhmut!"

The 76th Motorized regiment was clapped by the RDK/RFC before heading back into Ukraine. Russia captured an MRAP and has whisked it deep into Russia so they can look at the armor composites.

America is pretty unhappy about the maxxpros being given to PMCs and is looking into the matter.

Partly I surmise that Russia blamed the Patriots for shooting down Russian planes inside of Russia because the US has stated very clearly they do Not Want ukraine doing that. And this may help to limit new shipments(they hope).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

A fellow Final Cut enjoyer, I see

I was thinking REM, Gill Scott-Heron, and MF DOOM.

I don’t think I ever listened to Final Cut, somehow. I guess I could, now.

Waters and Gilmour were already in the Great Book of lovely Brits for “The Madcap Laughs” so, yeah.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

House to house fighting in Bakhmut as Ukraine continues to swing around the city. Russian regulars are getting a very warm welcome from the Ukrianians as they retake formerly Wagner positions. Funny enough Wagner is basically sending them INTO ukrianian firing positions going "yeah our lines are over there just head there remember no Ukrianians are in Bakhmut!"

The 76th Motorized regiment was clapped by the RDK/RFC before heading back into Ukraine. Russia captured an MRAP and has whisked it deep into Russia so they can look at the armor composites.

America is pretty unhappy about the maxxpros being given to PMCs and is looking into the matter.

Partly I surmise that Russia blamed the Patriots for shooting down Russian planes inside of Russia because the US has stated very clearly they do Not Want ukraine doing that. And this may help to limit new shipments(they hope).

You're like our very own Jack Teixeira! Hopefully without the fascism and mass murder ambitions.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol even if they did get an MRAP, a mine resistant armor alloy wouldn't do them much good because there's no way they could exploit it anyway given the state of Russian heavy industry. And that's if the Russians didn't already have captured models of those things (and HMMVs, and Bradleys) from Iraq and Afghanistan. The MRAP in particular has been in service since 2007. It's very possible Russia was already aware of a lot of that stuff, the US lost a decent bit to combat and even more when we scrambled out of Afghanistan.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HonorableTB posted:

Lol even if they did get an MRAP, a mine resistant armor alloy wouldn't do them much good because there's no way they could exploit it anyway given the state of Russian heavy industry. And that's if the Russians didn't already have captured models of those things (and HMMVs, and Bradleys) from Iraq and Afghanistan. The MRAP in particular has been in service since 2007. It's very possible Russia was already aware of a lot of that stuff, the US lost a decent bit to combat and even more when we scrambled out of Afghanistan.

rather the worry is who's the first enterprising vatnik to sell it or pieces of it to more materially capable bad state actors...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Storkrasch posted:

You're like our very own Jack Teixeira! Hopefully without the fascism and mass murder ambitions.

No mass murder or fascism ambitions.

And they did get an MRAP. The US is NOT happy about this development. Whether it's that important or not it's just a note for reference.

And as said above. I'd be more worried about Russia just selling it to Iran or China to get the material compositions studied.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1661635233832157184

lmao, hopefully people won't remember we actually tried to be colonists but sucked too much to make it a success. Don't worry though, our mercs are heading back soon to continue making GBS threads on you.

What's that you ask? Oh no sorry, we'll keep using N slurs on national TV when we talk about you.

Happy Africa Day <3<3<3<3

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wow look at how open and worldly and not racist Russia is, this PROVES they're right. My mind is totally changed. Triggered yet, Nazi Ukrailures?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Killer robot posted:

He was just a general bloodthirsty warhawk who happened to make some correct observations in this case. You do not, as the saying goes, have to hand it to him.

I mean, the best you can say is that even then you had to grade the Republican party on a curve and that makes him look better by comparison.

Indeed

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Bye Bye Birdie

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661794793071038465?t=Or2GhX6wQq913PQgNqbjog&s=19

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661756262328016897
Another field ammo dump up in smoke.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

This seems like a lot of jets to be losing so quickly.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvBTy28VJM

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Joke Miriam posted:

The Virgin Su-25 vs the Chad Patriot Missile

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 25, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Killer robot posted:

He was also probably the last Republican who had the courage to correct even the most blatantly bloodthirsty attack on a Democrat when he corrected that random heckler claiming Obama was a secret Muslim (back when Muslims, not Democrats, were the group Republicans wanted to imprison and execute), which should be basic decency on the part of any politician but of course there is no longer any such thing on their side

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

He was also probably the last Republican who had the courage to correct even the most blatantly bloodthirsty attack on a Democrat when he corrected that random heckler claiming Obama was a secret Muslim (back when Muslims, not Democrats, were the group Republicans wanted to imprison and execute), which should be basic decency on the part of any politician but of course there is no longer any such thing on their side

And yet he still did "He's not a Muslim, he's a decent person", didn't he? The only way he clears the bar is if you're setting it based on Trumpist Republicanism.

Which is how life works, I guess. I just mean that McCain said some accurate things about how Russia operates but I'm not going to quote him on it for the same reason I wouldn't tip my hat when Glenn Greenwald or Ben Garrison or whoever make a valid criticism of Obama or US imperialism. There are always non-lovely people who are more often correct saying similar things.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Republican Party is a domestic terrorist organization

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Killer robot posted:

And yet he still did "He's not a Muslim, he's a decent person", didn't he? The only way he clears the bar is if you're setting it based on Trumpist Republicanism.

It wasn't quite like that. He said to one guy "He's a decent person" and then to another random lady who was saying "He's an Arab!" that he was a "decent family man" which was just kind of a repetition of what he said the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrnRU3ocIH4

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Ahh so thats how the Storm Shadow works...

Does anyone know what this meme with those little guys is called? I could just try to draw them from scratch but rather not...

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

My team has analyzed this predictable video and our forensics show this is a NATO constructed deep fake of the Banderite General Zaluzhny who we know to be in a coma barely hanging on to existence.

https://twitter.com/SlavaUk30722777/status/1661761183299571714?cxt=HHwWhMDUgb2_4Y8uAAAA

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know what this meme with those little guys is called? I could just try to draw them from scratch but rather not...
The webcomic "Flork of Cows"

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1661817725537099781?s=20

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OAquinas posted:

I disagree about Romney.

yeah, the issue with ever calling russia a global/strategic threat has always been their navy. russian naval disposition has been an extremely hilarious joke for generations, and it has never really gotten any better. even during the cold war, there's a reason people were worried about subs, not surface ships - outside of the missile threat, russia has never had a navy that would've seriously given pause to a strategic US patrol, nevermind a carrier group. that hasn't stopped conveniently complex thinking from dominating every air wave for decades.

i had a similar tough time with complex thinking trying to talk to people about the supposed total dominance of russia in cyberwarfare for years. they will point to things like finding russian hackers in the wolf creek nuclear power plant and say oh no, russian hackers could destroy america from within at any time. and it's like, sorry friend but i live 50 miles from wolf creek and i can tell you conclusively, russian hackers might have been ready to turn off one automated override in that station, but there were 3 others and another 2 mechanical failsafes that are not connected to the internet. the best they could've done is set off some alarms with the systems they were in, they could not have even interrupted power generation, let alone do something costly like cause a SCRAM. doing something dangerous was never on the table in the first place.

people happily ignore all of this to point out that russia shut off the power in kyiv on independence day a few years in a row and fail to remember that the reason for that is that everyone was using the same pirated tax software that was insecure on day 1 and hadn't ever been updated. no, not anything fundamental to the system at all, it was loving tax software that for some reason had access to power station controls. it goes way beyond the herpderp update your compy 486, it's flat out just don't install unnecessary poo poo in the first place.

nicole perlroth wrote an entire book of like 300 pages of this fearmongering tripe and got tons of accolades for it even as she documented the only real strategic cyberattack coup in history, stuxnet. which, let's not forget, required:

1) insider knowledge on precisely which industrial control software was being used on the centrifuges in iran
2) an incredibly intensive search into that industrial control software, resulting in a daisy chain of 3 exploits to accomplish a specific task
3) a SEPARATE incredibly intensive search into the windows operating system, resulting in a daisy chain of another 4 exploits to DELIVER stuxnet
4) an outstandingly specific targeting algorithm to make sure that the victims did not notice the damage from stuxnet until it was too late
5) a plan to handle patching all of these exploits to keep the weapon from blowing back on american targets if it was eventually discovered (cyberweapons are notoriously single-use because of this semantic)

even after documenting all of this she arbitrarily claimed that russia was absolutely capable of all of this and would blow up all of our power stations in event of a war, citing ukraine as proof.

then the actual cards came down and it turned out that russia was literally only good at troll farms. which, sure, those are effective and did damage, but you really have to question whether that was russia deploying an effective weapon or just that american society has big-P Problems and russia is highlighting them. like, maybe we should deal with those Problems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The russian cyber estimate was based on 'wow if russian criminals have this sort of powerful hacking tools and exploits, imagine what the really good stuff the state intelligence agencies are researching and stockpiling is like'

Turns out it was exactly the same stuff.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the US tends to arrest people or "disappear" them overseas when they abscond with secret tech.

Russian State services simply sell their newly acquired tools to criminals for a new golden toilet in their dacha.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tunicate posted:

The russian cyber estimate was based on 'wow if russian criminals have this sort of powerful hacking tools and exploits, imagine what the really good stuff the state intelligence agencies are researching and stockpiling is like'

Turns out it was exactly the same stuff.

yeah the critical thing nobody bothered to notice was that the criminal organizations didn't have terribly powerful hacking tools in terms of strategic importance. they had situational importance for extorting money, true, but that's a completely separate application. there was never any reason to think that russia had highly developed strategic cyberweapons, it was full on fearmongering shlock exploiting poor education and political sensationalism.

again in the same book, perlroth loves to recount how russia "held a small town hostage" with ransomware, when really what happened was some russian criminals who were PROBABLY working with russian state services successfully spearphished city hall employees in nowheresville, indiana and shut down the computers for a week. city hall just did poo poo on paper until they could summon the local ComputerMan franchise to re-image their computers and did not pay the requested ransoms.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russian army cyber team

traceRT porn site