Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Pekinduck posted:

This is a good point, just assume everything you say on the internet could be saved and linked back to you.

Signal and telegram are more secure but a PO might be leery about just having those apps on your phone, I don't know how that stuff works.

haha my po knows i am too dumb about technology to use anything like that and also knows im not much interested in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Texting.

Everyone is overthinking this. If you have somebody's phone number you don't just have to call them, you can also use a messaging program (usually pre-installed) to send them a text message. Sort of like a mini-email.

Go to one of your contacts (if you have learned how to make them) and there ought to be a symbol that looks like a speech bubble for a cartoon character. Click that and you ought to be able to access your phone's current version of instant messenger.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

harveys zoo zoos posted:

the more i learn about the internet the less time i want to spend on it but so far you folks have been nice so i like it here.

this instinct will take you far

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

yeah discord, signal, telegram, that's all nerd poo poo.

IMing is txting now, just a built in service in your phone and service plan.

death cob for cutie posted:

this instinct will take you far

also this

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
oh poo poo. your guy got got by chris hansen

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
they cancelled that show when one of their stings, like the one that got your guy, went south ending in suicide btw. but you should check out clips on youtube theyre nuts

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

i can;'t believe they did a tv show about that. it's wild people would want to watch that. i mean i get that it;s good to see predators get caught but wow a whole tv show

by the way it is true that the predators get hosed up real bad in prison. guards would even help set them up and delay taking them to the infirmary after. theyd lay there in their blood for hours sometimes.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

oh man. one of the chomos had enough and tried to kill himself by gnawing into his wrists. he pulled a vein out and played with before chewing it in half. im pretty sure he died soon after.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i can;'t believe they did a tv show about that. it's wild people would want to watch that. i mean i get that it;s good to see predators get caught but wow a whole tv show

it did huge ratings and would have continued to do huge ratings if they hadn't cancelled it over ethics concerns after that lawyer killed himself in a standoff.

Chris Hansen tried to bring it back but, like I said, was very quickly outed as a conman writing bad checks after he crowdfunded its return.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

harveys zoo zoos posted:

by the way it is true that the predators get hosed up real bad in prison. guards would even help set them up and delay taking them to the infirmary after. theyd lay there in their blood for hours sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJOk2xhzIw
this guy has a series of videos about it and they're pretty good. he does go into "in case you feel bad for this guy here are some chat excerpts"
no matter what they say they ALWAYS know what they're doing and it's NEVER going to stop at just chatting. gently caress that poo poo.

oddly enough i spent last saturday with a guy who just got out of prison, he said you never tell people your release date because someone will try to gently caress it up for you. was that true where you were?

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

harveys zoo zoos posted:

this is something else that i appreciate, thank you

i know that it happens because my mom was a victim a few years ago. after the email they somehow got her on the phone and convinced her to let them log in remotely. and then her bank account was empty. she got it back but it took time and it was scary for her. it has happened a couple of times actually.

my cousin is a computer guy and he's going to teach me once he builds the pc for me.

I don't see anybody mentioning this yet, but phone scams and other kinds of impersonation ripoffs have become a lot more sophisticated over the last 20-30 years. There are entire industries pretending to be interested in victims as a business partner, romantic partner, or client that exist only to extract recurring payments, and modern phone scams tend to impersonate authority and use pressure techniques (like pretending to be the IRS collecting a fine) to get victims to pay up. If you find yourself in a situation where you're being pressured to pay money to someone contacting you by phone, do what you can to validate that they are real, including asking them for identifying information and then calling the organization they claim to represent back at a publicly available number to confirm their information.

A good example is impersonation of fraud prevention from a bank or credit card company - the scammer calls and says someone has opened a line of credit in your name, and they need information like your SSN, account number, or personal information to make sure you're you. A legitimate bank or credit card company wouldn't ask you for that information over the phone and would instead ask for other confirmatory details, so you'd want to call the company back at a publicly listed number to confirm.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i do text message with family and my po. my mom has a land line and the only calls she gets are robot callers i think that's what they are called.

the more i learn about the internet the less time i want to spend on it but so far you folks have been nice so i like it here.

Yeah on that subject there's a ton of phone and internet scams nowadays. People calling you pretending to be your bank, credit card company, charities, even cops. Scammers can spoof the caller ID on your phone so it looks like its coming from your bank. If you get a call feel free to hang up and call the organization back at their actual number to make sure its real.

What I've found with the internet is the really big spaces are always chaotic messes, but the smaller, more specialized communities can be pretty chill.

Edit: aaand 1secondpersecond beat me with a much more thorough explanation.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

wow a whole tv show

There was also Live PD where you get to see racist cops harass poor people.

It's like Cops except it's live so it incentivized the cops to harass people.

Anyways, it was cancelled when they filmed the officers pulling a black guy over for his headlights being on too bright and then murdering him over it and Live PD attempted to cover it up by deleting the footage to protect the cops.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Man, you were in jail for 9/11 weren't you? So, pre-9/11 America was getting wild, getting real fat on prosperous times and we had some great TV like "When Bear Attacks Man" and "Beyond Belief Fact of Fiction" (its on Amazon Prime, definitely it), music was going in weird directions and getting extremely overproduced and... questionable... then 9/11 happened and everything changed. It ushered in a new era of censorship at the mainstream level, and brought with that another "satanic panic" type of thing about children getting abused by adults they met online. That's how the show ended up becoming A Thing, a group that orchestrated these stings pitched an idea to NBC and here we are. The thing with the moral backlash was, anyone who wanted to avoid it had the internet to fall back on during that time, so it just wasn't as effective. That was the time that current anti-abortion movement kinda came to the front of that issue, as well as the rise of "Christian" pastors/White Men becoming these weird moral authority figures for some people.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

InsertPotPun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gJOk2xhzIw
this guy has a series of videos about it and they're pretty good. he does go into "in case you feel bad for this guy here are some chat excerpts"
no matter what they say they ALWAYS know what they're doing and it's NEVER going to stop at just chatting. gently caress that poo poo.

oddly enough i spent last saturday with a guy who just got out of prison, he said you never tell people your release date because someone will try to gently caress it up for you. was that true where you were?

yes. the two things we didn't talk about our ask were 'what are you in for' and 'when you getting out'. the first one would be found out eventually anyway but if you just told someone at the very beginning they'd size you up and take advantage or threaten you. like 'so you're in for murder do you think you can take me out' or 'so you in for drugs ok well i need this and that or i;ll gently caress you up' or 'you in for drugs, well dont move in on my turf' and stuff like that. but once you were in and established yourself somehow it didnt matter as much why you were there.

the only people i really talked to about my case were lamar, poon-poon, and a guy named scottie. they were my guys and i trusted them with my life, literally

the release date thing was maybe because the short-timers could be intimidated into giving up their stuff more easily. also they would hound you to do things on the outside for you and threaten if you said no. it was just a bad idea to talk about it and in general you didn't know the exact date anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bagmonkey posted:

"Beyond Belief Fact of Fiction"

Riker Beyond Belief is one of the great TV shows of the late pre-9/11 era

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

bagmonkey posted:

Man, you were in jail for 9/11 weren't you? So, pre-9/11 America was getting wild, getting real fat on prosperous times and we had some great TV like "When Bear Attacks Man" and "Beyond Belief Fact of Fiction" (its on Amazon Prime, definitely it), music was going in weird directions and getting extremely overproduced and... questionable... then 9/11 happened and everything changed. It ushered in a new era of censorship at the mainstream level, and brought with that another "satanic panic" type of thing about children getting abused by adults they met online. That's how the show ended up becoming A Thing, a group that orchestrated these stings pitched an idea to NBC and here we are. The thing with the moral backlash was, anyone who wanted to avoid it had the internet to fall back on during that time, so it just wasn't as effective. That was the time that current anti-abortion movement kinda came to the front of that issue, as well as the rise of "Christian" pastors/White Men becoming these weird moral authority figures for some people.

oh yeah wow i wanted to ask about 9/11 and what it was like outside. we heard rumors and then actually saw the news i think the next day. a ton of fights broke out against the muslims once we found out about the terrorists and we were locked down for a month. i got stabbed through my cheek during that mess it was awful.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm unironically loving the people who are positing huge walls of text explaining the history of the past 25 years like he's a real life Encino Man, explaining the world in incredible detail eventually leading up to, for some reason, trying to get him to play the newest Zelda game or something, as if that's what will cure what ails him and the thing that will redeem him and what his life has lead up to or something

If I was this guy I'd be so overwhelmed by some of the word salad that I'd just glaze over so kudos to you for not losing it and leaving forever harvey

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

harveys zoo zoos posted:

oh yeah wow i wanted to ask about 9/11 and what it was like outside. we heard rumors and then actually saw the news i think the next day. a ton of fights broke out against the muslims once we found out about the terrorists and we were locked down for a month. i got stabbed through my cheek during that mess it was awful.

I watched the second plane hit the WTC live on the today show. People at school made a bunch of memorial T-Shirts. A bunch of dumbasses who don't understand the nuances of south Asian people got really angry and Sikh people and attacked Sikh temples because they thought turban = muslim. Then like 13 years later, I was in the air force and was eating lunch with my work friends. I think it was 9/11 and this lady walks up and says "I can not believe that Barack Obama did not do anything about 9/11" then she awkwardly stared at us and walked away. Nowadays, no one cares. I was back in college the past few years and kids these days don't even bring it up.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm unironically loving the people who are positing huge walls of text explaining the history of the past 25 years like he's a real life Encino Man, explaining the world in incredible detail eventually leading up to, for some reason, trying to get him to play the newest Zelda game or something, as if that's what will cure what ails him and the thing that will redeem him and what his life has lead up to or something

If I was this guy I'd be so overwhelmed by some of the word salad that I'd just glaze over so kudos to you for not losing it and leaving forever harvey

haha i won't lie some of the stuff absolutely goes way over my head and i have no idea whats going on but hey its all in good spirit and i appreciate it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

gotta share just the important poo poo

like for weeks the entire world was ready to throw down over what color this dress is:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

bagmonkey posted:

This is a good point, 9/11 made people really paranoid and narrow-minded and it comes out in a lot of weird subtle ways.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

GolfHole posted:

gotta share just the important poo poo

like for weeks the entire world was ready to throw down over what color this dress is:

hmm is this a trick

it looks black and blue to me

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Here we go again

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

I was 15 in late 10th grade when it happened, there was a palpable sense that everything changed for good, and that was among a bunch of dumbshit teenagers. We didn't even have real school that day, we just watched the news and talked about terrorism and politics with our teachers. Invaded Afghanistan and passed the USAPATRIOT act, and if you were a somewhat politically active teenager it was clear things had permanently changed toward the dark in this country. Lots of talk about drafts and stuff, gotta give up your freedoms for the good of the people (conservative democrat/republican government). Then Bush drummed up the Iraq war and by the time we invaded Iraq, I was about to turn 17 and the draft talk got really real really fast while the Bush admin straight up openly lied about everything on TV in front of the loving whole-rear end UN and world at large. It was really weird to watch it all happen in real-time, especially as someone that could have been drafted had that been a thing that happened. It permanently shifted the Federal Government further rightward-fascist and allowed Republicans to start capitalizing openly on race and religion again to win elections.

9/11 caused these forums to crash, HARD. Back in the day this site was like a nexus on the internet, and the traffic it generated that day was supposedly in the thousands of dollars. It was real nuts.

Sorry to hear about the 9/11 race riot injury.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 25, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hmm is this a trick

its not a trick some alleged human beings, just like you or i, claim that this dress is actually white and gold

for weeks everyone argued about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hmm is this a trick

Now you've done it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hmm is this a trick

You are correct, we use this question to separate humans from humanoid androids implanted into society to assassinate dissidents on behalf of the NSA, their color vision is still kinda shaky.

You've heard of those, right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also if you go to the big cities, expect people to wear "dazzle camo fashion" designed to fool facial recognition technology built into the ever present surveillance drones. Stuff like this:

It used to be that only hardcore cyber runners used to wear this stuff, but nowadays it's essential for anyone who doesn't want to be recorded in the Cloud (you've heard of the Cloud, right?)

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GolfHole posted:

its not a trick some alleged human beings, just like you or i, claim that this dress is actually white and gold

for weeks everyone argued about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

It is white and gold

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i wish peopl ewere actually doing that, thats badass

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

so what i'm getting is the internet is used to argue about really dumb poo poo haha

one of the most brutal fights over a dumb thing i ever saw that wasn't about drugs or cred or 'normal' stuff like that was over who got the lead in a play based on 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'. from what other inmates told me it's a popular play in the prison system. anyway the fight went on between the two guys for days, both ended up in the infirmary so someone else got the lead hahaha. what a couple of dumb shits.

another one was over the color gloves we'd wear for a sign language version of 'silent night'. one side wanted the standard white the other wanted red. red won haha

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

steinrokkan posted:

Also if you go to the big cities, expect people to wear "dazzle camo fashion" designed to fool facial recognition technology built into the ever present surveillance drones. Stuff like this:

It used to be that only hardcore cyber runners used to wear this stuff, but nowadays it's essential for anyone who doesn't want to be recorded in the Cloud (you've heard of the Cloud, right?)

unironically true in china

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

harveys zoo zoos posted:

so what i'm getting is the internet is used to argue about really dumb poo poo haha
Yes but it’s worse. Since in most cases on the internet you’re effectively anonymous, people argue without having to worry about things like “if I say this, I’m going to get beaten”.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

harveys zoo zoos posted:

almost exclusively these days

it always was, but it's real bad now, to the point where facebook caused a no-poo poo actual genocide in Myanmar at least

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

This is how I feel, and my job depends on the Internet. You're picking stuff up quickly.

Any communication medium quickly gets figured out by the people who want to use it to hurt and/or profit from its users, and then gets overrun by them. Twitter went from an app where people would talk about their day to an app that has enabled multiple insurrections and now the world is watching the app's new owner radicalize himself in real time. It's... a mess.

At some point in the future people might say you should get on a dating app to meet someone. Don't do that. They're very good at connecting sociopaths to victims and very bad at being safe or healthy. Forming relationships in person is 1000% better for everyone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There are I think 2 apps for somethingawful that many prefer for using this site on their phone, I use the awful app myself.

I don't know why people are saying goon discord singular when there are at least 58 but those are more niche or per game and you'll usually find the invite in the opening post of a thread you are interested in.

If you get that junkyard and recycling job be careful and don't let your boss browbeat you into doing really dangerous jobs just because they may know you won't have the same opportunities as a regular joe.

I had a literal one day layoff (didn't know that at the time) and I called an employment agency that placed me at a scrap sorting facility and there were people jamming sticks in machines past the disabled guards and climbing 20 foot high stuff to clear jams and that's whatever, I've been there, but now that I know OSHA regulations it's pretty sketchy.

The only way I can tell them to pound sand if they ask me to do that stuff now is because I'm union and government so we ought to be following occupational safety rules by default.
(I'm still in one of the top dangerous jobs even following safety protocols)

Learning OSHA just made me laugh because I've broken almost every rule at some point earlier in my career, but be careful out there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The thing I remember most vividly about 9/11 was that all the "What Would Jesus Do?" bracelets that were so popular among my fundie Christian community disappeared real quick, presumably because Jesus probably wouldn't bomb the Middle East for revenge. Probably.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

harveys zoo zoos posted:

I was told by the manager of the pet supply store that I worked at when I was 17 that I was going to be drafted the day I turned 18 into the war against terrorism and she was so worried about me and.. yeah. Funny enough, you're on a website who's (one of their) claim to fame is a video called tribute.avi which was just 9/11 footage, like the planes hitting the towers and people running in the debris and poo poo, set to the Benny Hill theme music. Again, circling back to your comment about "a sort of cyberjail for weirdos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

bro its a fun mental exercise to think about all the absolutely wild poo poo you'd have to explain to someone about the past 25 years

however lol yeah the video games