Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I am not. Explorer came about because they passed on it. It was mentioned in 2020.

Explorer is not pioneer, a product to get arena up to pioneer complete has literally nothing to do with printing cards directly into pioneer, or modern horizons 2, and explorer as a format was released nearly a full calendar year after MH2 came out.

So yes, you are extremely just making things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I still play from time to time with the Heezy Street and Ghost Dad gold bordered decks I got from PT Honolulu. They work well as a pair, and even better if you find someone willing to play with the old damage on the stack rules.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Knight Captain of Eos seeing play in something? A guy wants to trade for mine and like... the prices are all over the place. It looks like it was dirt cheap on TCG as recently as yesterday but can't be had for less than 10 bucks in foil today, and Cardkingdom is sold out entirely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I remember getting Ben Rubin's WC deck and being confused as to why Ball Lightning was good when it only had one toughness. Ah, simpler days.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Knight Captain of Eos seeing play in something? A guy wants to trade for mine and like... the prices are all over the place. It looks like it was dirt cheap on TCG as recently as yesterday but can't be had for less than 10 bucks in foil today, and Cardkingdom is sold out entirely.

People confusing it for knight errent of eos? I have no clue. Probably just a buyout

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

People confusing it for knight errent of eos? I have no clue. Probably just a buyout

lol that's exactly what I did just now when I was about to say it might be because of that new Convoke deck in Historic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

fadam posted:

lol that's exactly what I did just now when I was about to say it might be because of that new Convoke deck in Historic.

It's Pioneer primarily, you don't have Bushwhacker on arena and that makes the deck tick

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Funny storry, *I* meant Knight Errant of Eos. That's the one I have.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

One of these days I'm gonna correctly put the format in my posts.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Funny storry, *I* meant Knight Errant of Eos. That's the one I have.

Yeah, literally over the weekend there was a Pioneer Challenge that had a breakout performance of a RW Convoke deck. You play a bunch of shitters that are either artifacts or make artifacts, turn them into dudes with the new Kuldrotha Rebirth and then Convoke out Knight-Errants or Loxodons. It matches up really well against a lot of the best decks (I haven't played it or against it, but apparently it absolutely stomps MonoG), but I suspect once people start packing good sweepers in their boards it won't be a major problem.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 25, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What happens if you abstain from a vote, like Galadriel's thing. Do you lose the game or do they just tally the votes that do get made?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's part of the resolution of an ability, so the players can't really decline to do it. Just like you couldn't decline to choose which creature to sacrifice if I edict you.

701.32. Vote
701.32a Some spells and abilities instruct players to vote for one choice from a list of options to
determine some aspect of the effect of that spell or ability. To vote, each player, starting with a
specified player and proceeding in turn order, chooses one of those choices.
701.32b The listed choices may be objects, words with no rules meaning that are each connected to
a different effect, or other variables relevant to the resolution of the spell or ability.
701.32c If the text of a spell or ability refers to “voting,” it refers only to an actual vote, not to any
spell or ability that involves the players making choices or decisions without using the word
“vote.”
701.32d If an effect gives a player multiple votes, those votes all happen at the same time the player
would otherwise have voted.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

fadam posted:

One of these days I'm gonna correctly put the format in my posts.

Yeah, literally over the weekend there was a Pioneer Challenge that had a breakout performance of a RW Convoke deck. You play a bunch of shitters that are either artifacts or make artifacts, turn them into dudes with the new Kuldrotha Rebirth and then Convoke out Knight-Errants or Loxodons. It matches up really well against a lot of the best decks (I haven't played it or against it, but apparently it absolutely stomps MonoG), but I suspect once people start packing good sweepers in their boards it won't be a major problem.

That deck was also running Invasion of Gobakhan wasn't it? I saw that it had also taken a surprising jump in price the last few days and wasn't sure why

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"Votes" is a weird way to phrase the mechanic as well. It's not like we tally them up and figure out which one wins. Each "voter" is getting the result they asked for regardless of the majority opinion.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

"Votes" is a weird way to phrase the mechanic as well. It's not like we tally them up and figure out which one wins. Each "voter" is getting the result they asked for regardless of the majority opinion.

It's not that weird, there are already lots of cards that function that exact same way where players "Vote" for a stacking outcome. Look at Tivit from a recent set for example.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Other posted:

That deck was also running Invasion of Gobakhan wasn't it? I saw that it had also taken a surprising jump in price the last few days and wasn't sure why

It's probably the biggest reason for Gobakhan's jump, but I've seen quite a few various White decks pick up a copy or two as well in general.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

People may also be speculating on gobakhan because if even half of the bans in that fake list happen, W/x aggro/midrange will be a serious contender for new top deck in standard

fadam posted:

Been a while since we had a good Hoot quadruple down. Feels like reality is realigning after the past few months of unpleasantness.

nature is healing

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's part of the resolution of an ability, so the players can't really decline to do it. Just like you couldn't decline to choose which creature to sacrifice if I edict you.

Is filibustering considered slow play?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’ve noticed that about half the time I disagree with what my opponents take from my hand with hand disruption. Of course, what’s in their hand can inform their choice, but often it just seems wrong regardless of that.

What I’m getting at is that optimal discard decisions are hard.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

Is filibustering considered slow play?

Acceptable causes to filibuster for are covered in the code of conduct.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I played a three person game this weekend with my Elenda deck and the opponent with Sen Triplets kept targeting the third person, a Grist player, with his commander's effect even after I had managed to stick a Cathars Crusade into getting seven 8/8 lifelink vampires twice in a row and rocketing my life total into the triple digits so frankly I think threat assessment in general is something more people need to work on :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

fadam posted:

It's not that weird, there are already lots of cards that function that exact same way where players "Vote" for a stacking outcome. Look at Tivit from a recent set for example.

... yes? That's why I said "mechanic" and not that specific instance of it? Time or Money, Secrets or Friends, I'm aware it exist outside of the one card.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

... yes? That's why I said "mechanic" and not that specific instance of it? Time or Money, Secrets or Friends, I'm aware it exist outside of the one card.

Fair enough, still not sure why you think people voting for a thing they want to happen shouldn't be called "voting."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fadam posted:

Fair enough, still not sure why you think people voting for a thing they want to happen shouldn't be called "voting."

voting doesn't do anything so why should it work in my fantasy tcg

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Arivia posted:

America RWU

World Enchantment

If a spell or ability would ask a player to vote and that player doesn't control that spell or ability instead ignore their vote.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, the prof has a trend of crazy successful kickstarter projects. the shuffle up and play season 2 KS is already far beyond its final stretch goal, which was "no ads in the video whatsoever". I wonder what they'll do with the extra funding, maybe try and record more episodes? I hope so, SUAP is fantastic.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Arivia posted:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Captain Invictus posted:

goddamn, the prof has a trend of crazy successful kickstarter projects. the shuffle up and play season 2 KS is already far beyond its final stretch goal, which was "no ads in the video whatsoever". I wonder what they'll do with the extra funding, maybe try and record more episodes? I hope so, SUAP is fantastic.

drat i'm really happy for the prof. that's awesome. 180k raised with 28 days to go lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Holy lol I did not know that existed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

buy a paper vintage cube and add vintage cube draft episodes

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

There's a guy in my local magic scene with a Vintage-ish artifact cube. He doesn't have power directly in the cube, but he printed a copy of Arena only card Oracle of the Alpha and a couple sets of the P9 for that. I think it's neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

There's a guy in my local magic scene with a Vintage-ish artifact cube. He doesn't have power directly in the cube, but he printed a copy of Arena only card Oracle of the Alpha and a couple sets of the P9 for that. I think it's neat.
that rules, I would love a paper copy of oracle of the alpha, it's one of my favorite mtg card designs ever. I don't think it'd be impossible to implement in paper, the only problem is, well, what the conjured cards are.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

that rules, I would love a paper copy of oracle of the alpha, it's one of my favorite mtg card designs ever. I don't think it'd be impossible to implement in paper, the only problem is, well, what the conjured cards are.

It’s probably fine in a cube but I think WotC won’t ever print stuff that shuffles real cards into your library. I like the design space they did with that five colour guy in MH2 who can make Black Lotus tokens, but it’s a bummer they didn’t make tokens for all those cards. Also he should have had haste so he’s playable with Food Chain.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

lmao oh my god

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thinking about running that in one of my Tivit flex spots as a cantripping rainbow ritual.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Thinking about running that in one of my Tivit flex spots as a cantripping rainbow ritual.

Possibly too situational since it's kinda dead if Tivit's not out, but the ceiling of getting 5 treasures for just a U and a card that replaces itself could be good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fadam posted:

It’s probably fine in a cube but I think WotC won’t ever print stuff that shuffles real cards into your library. I like the design space they did with that five colour guy in MH2 who can make Black Lotus tokens, but it’s a bummer they didn’t make tokens for all those cards. Also he should have had haste so he’s playable with Food Chain.
the real big brain play would've been to include tokens of all the stuff that guy could produce, including the black lotus token, but only include them in collector packs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

Possibly too situational since it's kinda dead if Tivit's not out, but the ceiling of getting 5 treasures for just a U and a card that replaces itself could be good.

Worst case you can just cycle it. Probably just squeaks into playability, if not particularly exciting. If I was still on Naus I’d be hunting one down to test.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

They did, except they only sold them in $250 random booster packs

Framboise posted:

Illusion of Choice + Expropriate is a two card combo that wins the game

because everyone else will scoop out of frustration at your bullshit :getin:

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 26, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Has Skrelv seen play in other formats, cause it’s a bit of a PITA in standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've seen people testing it in legacy infect but I don't think they liked it all that much