Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

the axe doesn't even keep spinning after you draw it wtf. i want my money back

I'm hoping it has spinning animations during attacks, but there's no way to tell until we're actually able to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The armor sets have a cohesive aesthetic tying them together, but they seem to be intended to match with a specific tomestone weapon, and look nice (in my subjective opinion) when paired with it for a couple of them. For the other weapons or the sets that don't have an obvious pair, not so much.

Fending matches the PLD sword and shield. (Maiming is just a recolor, slightly tilted towards the DRG spear.)

Striking matches the MNK fists. (Scouting is just a recolor, but definitely not aimed towards NIN's new knives.)

Aiming matches the DNC Twin Moons, though it's slightly darker and doesn't quite match as well as the previous two. (I really like the hat, which my Viera sadly cannot wear. :argh:)

Healing and Casting are the odd ones, outside of the recolors. Healing has the closest, but still not great, matches with WHM and AST, while Casting doesn't match any of their weapons.

Overall, not great, but for PLD and MNK I quite like the end result, and I'd really like to use the Aiming hat in something else, but R.I.P. Viera.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 25, 2023

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

MechaX posted:

Wait, it doesn't??

Booooo (honestly out of all of the weapons, I think the DNC, BRD, DRG, and SAM weapons were the winners by a big margin this time in terms of how they look in-game v. the concept art too).

RDM is definitely the biggest loser not because I think the weapon looks ugly, but uh... they probably should have figured something out for the idle pose lmfao

I feel like that problem extends beyond the idle pose, because I'm pretty sure the handle is also burning.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MechaX posted:

Wait, it doesn't??

Booooo (honestly out of all of the weapons, I think the DNC, BRD, DRG, and SAM weapons were the winners by a big margin this time in terms of how they look in-game v. the concept art too).

BLM's lantern staff is fantastic, as is the WHM sleepy rabbit cane.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cabbit posted:

The armor isn't great, no, but you also get that loving WAR murderaxe and the aforementioned gorgeous spear.

Oh yeah, the Weapons are stright up awesome. It's the armor that feels like almost no effort was put into it. Feels very same-y, and doesn't really stand out.

Also, WHY DOES THIS GAME LOVE EYE PATCHES SO MUCH? I'm SO tired of seeing the head gear be an eye patch. It's as bad as casters always getting robes.

Kerrzhe posted:

the axe doesn't even keep spinning after you draw it wtf. i want my money back

They're saving that feature for when they bring Ba'Gamnan into the game... :getin:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Do the casters really not get crystals on their back? I was hoping it was the angle of the promo pictures

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Do the casters really not get crystals on their back? I was hoping it was the angle of the promo pictures

They sparkle. But no crystals.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They sparkle. But no crystals.

Ugghh

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Can I ask... do people like Erenville? Are there like, big Erenville fans out there? This guy keeps showing up!

They have been alluding for quite a while that they are going to go into his backstory more ever since that Lodestone short story about him. You should probably expect him to become a major character in the story in the near future

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maybe he'll be our contact point for our trip to the New World or Meracydia or wherever the hell we're going in 7.0, he'll just be all "Hey WoL, we're organizing an expedition to (expansion pack) want to tag along?"

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vitamean posted:

need plugins back NOW so I can have my accurate countdown timer and

that's it
I did the new EX on Dancer last night and didn't have a full countdown timer so I had to guess when the appropriate time to start Standard Step was. I couldn't believe I used to live like that. How primitive

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kwyndig posted:

Maybe he'll be our contact point for our trip to the New World or Meracydia or wherever the hell we're going in 7.0, he'll just be all "Hey WoL, we're organizing an expedition to (expansion pack) want to tag along?"

He's absolutely going to be our In for 7.0

I am curious what he meant about homecoming, since I thought the whole Viera culture was "If you're a dude, GTFO until it's baby making season, and if you leave the territory at all you're not allowed back in."
Though I might be confusing the latter with The First's Viera culture.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

the_steve posted:

He's absolutely going to be our In for 7.0

I am curious what he meant about homecoming, since I thought the whole Viera culture was "If you're a dude, GTFO until it's baby making season, and if you leave the territory at all you're not allowed back in."
Though I might be confusing the latter with The First's Viera culture.

I mentioned up thread this very thing, in theory male Viera might have an easier time leaving and returning, since they're isolated culturally anyway, whereas females live in communal villages.

But you're right and it has me quite interested as well.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 25, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I just hope they retcon all of that lore because it sucks!!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HW73LJBEhA

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Failboattootoot posted:

The Viera lore is cool, and it worked out fine on The First. They're all deadly jungle protectors with two specific societal roles. Who if they don't like it can leave but not return to their culture that places a very huge importance on performing their duties protecting their jungles/forest/lands.

They at minimum do still have the gender ratio on the First as well as some of the stuff around their traditional methods of child creation, as a recent side quest has revealed.

It's not like we haven't had other very unique cultures that aren't the greatest, Ul'dah has horrific wealth disparity, Gridani and Limsa and Ishgard all have their problems, it is not an endorsement of a lifestyle to portray a unique culture.

Edit: Or More relevantly, the Mi'qote tribal system is still canon lore for both Mooncats and Suncats and I would argue they're pretty equal to the Viera stuff that anyone might find bad.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2023

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

:yeah:

But I'd never let something small like lore get in my way of happiness for my bun son who was born in a city with his family.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Edit: Or More relevantly, the Mi'qote tribal system is still canon lore for both Mooncats and Suncats and I would argue they're pretty equal to the Viera stuff that anyone might find bad.

The cat stuff is at least FF14 lore, Matsuno dragged Viera with no changes into Eorzea because he wanted his OC Fran.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Viera lore is cool.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Aw man, I really gotta catchup on gear, EX trial PFs are already asking for 630 ilevel and I'm sub 620 because I haven't done many alliance raids and pretty much took a break since april.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's not just pf being pf. 630 is the minimum ilvl you can queue for. Granted, you can go in with less with a full group, but it's not just being inflated by people and is set on the recommended minimum.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lord_Magmar posted:

They should definitely also delete the suncat lore because it also sucks rear end!!! Maybe moon cat too but much like SE, hosed if I can remember what the mooncat lore is (which is sad I guess because I play one).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alder posted:

:yeah:

But I'd never let something small like lore get in my way of happiness for my bun son who was born in a city with his family.

This is the correct approach. There is “traditional“ Miqo’te/Viera societies, and then there are the city folk who don’t give a rats rear end about any of that bullshit.

IMO there are plenty of “Tia”s out there who have a spouse and kids, for example.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Traditional keepers of the moon form small communities comprised of a small number of families, lead by a mother-figure authority. Adult men gently caress off and become nomads because everyone else is sick of them.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Someone needs to make a Nuhn out of Graha 'Tia

That's not the WoL, mind you. Crystal Catboy needs to get laid hard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Graha Tia thinks sex is holding hands and it is immoral to do that before marriage

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's not just pf being pf. 630 is the minimum ilvl you can queue for. Granted, you can go in with less with a full group, but it's not just being inflated by people and is set on the recommended minimum.

Yeah I know, just realizing that I'm a bit far more behind than usual. At least I had like 3 Euso coins so I can upgrade 4 pieces of gear to 630 this week (... if I do Aglaia twice ugh).

I'm guessing the tomestone piece order now is "whatever has crit as a priority" or looking up a BiS? Since I want a bit faster the ilevel than usual.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Aw man, I really gotta catchup on gear, EX trial PFs are already asking for 630 ilevel and I'm sub 620 because I haven't done many alliance raids and pretty much took a break since april.
As Orcs mentioned, 630 is the listed minimum on the trial description. You can get by below 630 depending on job and group competence with mitigation I'm sure but i would not expect the latter with PF groups. With my group of friends I went in at ilvl 630 on Dancer; there's one mechanic that would leave me at around below 3k HP if we started getting sloppy with mitigation

edit

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm guessing the tomestone piece order now is "whatever has crit as a priority" or looking up a BiS? Since I want a bit faster the ilevel than usual.
If you just want pure ilvl, do the normal raids and get four accessory tokens

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you really wanted to get ilvl fast you could get a tomestone ring and all 4 Panda normal accessories.

Substats literally do not matter right now.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's noted in story that in leading the Crystarium, our boy G'raha could very well claim the title of Nuhn. He just doesn't want to (and he's cuter for it)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I have quietly been of the opinion that casters have been getting the short end of the stick on cool gear for several expansions now. I can make cool glams for days for melee DPS and tanks that barely ever use more than one piece from any given set, all without forsaking the aesthetic of the job that glam is for. But for casters? Your choices are either wearing AF, looking crushingly generic with massive clipping issues, or looking like you walked out of a time machine from somewhere between 1980 to 2005. poo poo is kind of dire.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I have quietly been of the opinion that casters have been getting the short end of the stick on cool gear for several expansions now. I can make cool glams for days for melee DPS and tanks that barely ever use more than one piece from any given set, all without forsaking the aesthetic of the job that glam is for. But for casters? Your choices are either wearing AF, looking crushingly generic with massive clipping issues, or looking like you walked out of a time machine from somewhere between 1980 to 2005. poo poo is kind of dire.

Tbh most of my glams are just the modern stuff or just all job glams since I realize I like having the same cohesive fashion style instead of relying on job-specific armors :shobon:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Viera lore is cool, and it worked out fine on The First. They're all deadly jungle protectors with two specific societal roles. Who if they don't like it can leave but not return to their culture that places a very huge importance on performing their duties protecting their jungles/forest/lands.

It worked fine a world culturally and metaphysically locked in an eternal and lethal stasis!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

viera lore may as well not exist on the first. It "works" there because the entirety of the first is literally a theme park mmo world with six remaining zones, one of which is the ancient forest guarded by ancient protectors, and they interact with almost literally nothing else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the thing about viera lore is that it requires viera society to be remarkably static over a long period of time when there's no particular reason why it should be. (It reminds me a bit of Gerudo customs in Zelda.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is the correct approach. There is “traditional“ Miqo’te/Viera societies, and then there are the city folk who don’t give a rats rear end about any of that bullshit.

IMO there are plenty of “Tia”s out there who have a spouse and kids, for example.
Either V'kebbe's dad was rather irresponsible by Miqo'te tribal standards for gallivanting around as a hunter-scholar with his wife and one (1) daughter, the V Tribe is one that has multiple Nunhs including one that doesn't appear to have claimed any extra territory (unless he "took" Idyllshire), or... he just wasn't living the traditional lifestyle and was having a non-tribal relationship more typical of other Eorzean Alliance spoken races. Not sure if they're really interested in clarifying for a rather minor NPC, but that's the picture we have from what little is in the material.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Aren't the viera basically from the most remote and inaccessible region in the known game world, hailing from a jungle and mountain range that's snuggled between the Burn, Garlemald, a giant desert, and an ocean between the main location FFXIV takes place

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Erenville is great and I need him to be more major because I love hearing Viera Icelandic accents

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Aren't the viera basically from the most remote and inaccessible region in the known game world, hailing from a jungle and mountain range that's snuggled between the Burn, Garlemald, a giant desert, and an ocean between the main location FFXIV takes place

Viera are supposed to be relatively rare but turns out becoming a PC race means they are more common than humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chillgamesh posted:

Some villages are others are more spread out and have integrated into nearby cultures and nations. The whole ff12 style stupid lore style viera are essentially a bunch of hyper conservative traditionalists.