Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking back even in when Takeover hype was at it's peak in 2015/16 they still really didn't match up with the good New Japan shows which with World were easier to watch. Just like everything WWE they got graded on a curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DIY/Revival was a fantastic feud and still my favorite tag matches of all time. Sasha/Bayley I and II were great.

Aleister Black had some bangers in there, and there was that 5 star ladder clusterfuck, which was probably a bit overrated but still quite good.

But yeah, Gargano/Ciampa definitely overstayed its welcome and was the marker where it really started to decline. I feel like Keith Lee/Dijak was the last truly great series of Takeover matches.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

... and there was that 5 star ladder clusterfuck, which was probably a bit overrated but still quite good.

I don't keep up with WWE, is there anyone from that match who hasn't turned out to be abusive or a Nazi and who hasn't been booked to be the loserest loser who ever lost?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
If we're talking about the match for the debuting North American Title, the participants were...

Adam Cole: Living his best life in AEW, delightful little cinnamon roll
EC3: Became an HGH enthusiast and seasoning magnate
Killian Dain: Currently bouncing around the indies
Lars Sullivan: Pinched for bigoted statements made before becoming a wrestler, no matches since 2020
Ricochet: Just happy to be here
Velveteen Dream: "What school do you go to?"

So that's pretty accurate aside from Cole, yeah

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 25, 2023

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Standard "Meltzer is Just One Dude" caveats but Takeovers with 3 or more ****+ matches

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II - August 20, 2016
The Revival vs. DIY ****1/2
Asuka vs. Bayley ****
Samoa Joe vs. Shinsuke Nakamura ****1/4

NXT Takeover: Orlando - April 1, 2017
Authors of Pain vs. DIY vs. The Revival (Elimination) ****1/2
Asuka vs. Ember Moon ****1/4
Bobby Roode vs. Shinsuke Nakamura ****1/2

NXT Takeover: Chicago - May 20, 2017
Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne ****3/4
Bobby Roode vs. Hideo Itami ****1/4
Authors of Pain vs. DIY (Ladder) ****1/4

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III - August 19, 2017
Andrade vs. Johnny Gargano ****1/4
Aleister Black vs. Hideo Itami ****1/4
Asuka vs. Ember Moon ****1/2
Bobby Roode vs. Drew McIntyre ****1/4

NXT Takeover: War Games 2017 - November 18, 2017
Velveteen Dream vs. Aleister Black ****
Drew McIntyre vs. Andrade ****
Sanity vs. Authors of Pain & Roderick Strong vs. reDRagon & Adam Cole (WWE War Games) ****1/2

NXT Takeover: New Orleans - April 7, 2018
Lars Sullivan vs. Ricochet vs. Killian Dain vs. EC3 vs. Adam Cole vs. Velveteen Dream (Ladder) *****
Andrade vs. Aleister Black ****1/4
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano (Hardcore) *****

NXT Takeover: Chicago II - June 16, 2018
Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan ****1/2
Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream ****1/4
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano (Hardcore) ****1/2

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV - August 18, 2018
Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly vs. Mustache Mountain ****1/2
Adam Cole vs. Ricochet ****1/2
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano (Last Man Standing) ****1/2

NXT Takeover: War Games 2018 - November 17, 2018
Aleister Black vs. Johnny Gargano ****3/4
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Velveteen Dream ****3/4
Entire Undisputed Era vs. Ricochet, Pete Dunne, & War Raiders (War Games) ****1/4

NXT Takeover: Phoenix - January 26, 2019
Roderick Strong & Kyle O'Reilly vs. War Raiders ****1/2
Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano ****3/4
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Aleister Black ****

NXT Takeover: New York - April 5, 2019
War Raiders vs. Ricochet & Aleister Black ****1/2
Velveteen Dream vs. Matt Riddle ****1/2
Pete Dunne vs. Walter ****3/4
Adam Cole vs. Johnny Gargano (2/3 Falls) *****1/2

NXT Takeover XXV - June 1, 2019
Matt Riddle vs. Roderick Strong ****1/2
reDRagon vs. Street Profits vs. Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan (Ladder) ****1/2
Shayna Baszler vs. Io Shirai ****
Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole *****1/4

NXT UK Takeover: Cardiff - August 31, 2019
Cesaro vs. Ilja Dragunov ****
Grizzled Young Vets vs. Mark Coffey & Wolfgang vs. Mark Andrews & Flash Morgan Webster ****1/2
Walter vs. Tyler Bate *****1/4

NXT Takeover: War Games 2019 - November 23, 2019
Shayna Baszler, Kay Lee Ray, Bianca Bel Air, & Io Shirai vs. Rhea Ripley, Tegan Nox, Dakota Kai, & Candice LeRae (War Games) ****1/4
Finn Balor vs. Matt Riddle ****
Entire Undisputed Era vs. Keith Lee, Kevin Owens, Tommaso Ciampa, & Dominik Dijakovic (War Games) ****1/2

Takeover: Portland - February 23, 2020
Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic ****1/4
Finn Balor vs. Johnny Gargano ****1/2
reDRagon vs. The Broserweights ****3/4
Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa ****3/4

NXT Takeover: Vengeance Day - February 14, 2021
Ember Moon & Shotzi Blackheart vs. Dakota Kai & Raquel Gonzalez ****
Johnny Gargano vs. Kushida ****3/4
MSK vs. Grizzled Young Vets ****1/2
Finn Balor vs. Pete Dunne ****1/2

NXT Takeover: Stand & Deliver Night 1 - April 7, 2021
Pete Dunne vs. Kushida ****1/4
Walter vs. Tommaso Ciampa ****1/2
MSK vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Legado del Fantasma ****1/2
Io Shirai vs. Raquel Gonzalez ****1/4

This is frankly a much longer list than I expected. Also bear in mind most of these shows had 5-7 matches, so 3-4 of them being very good is more impressive in a vacuum than longer shows having the same number. Though to be fair, AEW has had shows with 5-8 ****+ matches, as has NJPW I'm reasonably sure.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 25, 2023

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
What's the best a Shining Wizard has ever looked? I feel like all the one's I've seen are a bit too obviously worked, hitting with the inside of the thigh. I guess it's kind of hard to safely knee someone in the face, but just wondering if y'all remember some good ones. Nothing looks quite like how I remember it from Tekken 3

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Which title runs do you consider to be great? Off the top of of my head I think of Joe as Roh champ, Danielson Roh champ, rvd television champ, cena us champ, oc international champ and okada iwgp champ.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mox singlehandedly carrying AEW on his back after the punk drama

Gunthers current IC run is shaping up to be pretty drat impressive too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kobashi's GHC run is up there

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shard posted:

Which title runs do you consider to be great? Off the top of of my head I think of Joe as Roh champ, Danielson Roh champ, rvd television champ, cena us champ, oc international champ and okada iwgp champ.

Jericho's ROH champ run.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

apophenium posted:

What's the best a Shining Wizard has ever looked? I feel like all the one's I've seen are a bit too obviously worked, hitting with the inside of the thigh. I guess it's kind of hard to safely knee someone in the face, but just wondering if y'all remember some good ones. Nothing looks quite like how I remember it from Tekken 3

muto imo

https://youtu.be/jTc8RSCFm3E

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shard posted:

Orange Cassidy's current International title run in AEW is the best title run the company has had.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Gonna vote for OC. He’s killing it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’s fresh in my mind because I’m watching ROH right now, but Athena’s current women’s title reign is kicking all sorts of rear end

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

OC's run has been amazing for its duration, and for the variety of opponents he's had. He even dragged fun matches out of Big Bill and Jake Hager!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

misawas 92-94 triple crown run and kobashis 03-05 GHC run.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Jericho's WCW cruiser championship reign may be the thing i remember most about wrestling when I was a kid. so that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah watching last night's Dynamite I just kept thinking "I love Orange Cassidy but I still did not think him winning a belt would lead to a run of nothing-but-good-to-great matches for months on end"

It really highlights how few matches most champions seem to wrestle these days

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Shard posted:

Zack's current run as the NJPW World TV champ
Go Shiozaki's pandemic-era GHC Heavyweight run
Yuki Yoshioka's Dream Gate run

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i agree with oc as long as you amend it to greatest comedy title run so far

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The cool thing about OCs run is it's internal arc of injury accumulation from activity and the new solutions he's coming up with to find new ways to win. It's a story, about wrestling.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i actually never thought about it like that from that perspective it is p cool

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shard posted:

Mark Henry as World Heavyweight Champion.

Hangman and Omega as AEW Tag Champs.

Matanza Cueto as Lucha Underground Champion.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Razor Ramon IC belt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CommonShore posted:

The cool thing about OCs run is it's internal arc of injury accumulation from activity and the new solutions he's coming up with to find new ways to win. It's a story, about wrestling.

Yeah!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CommonShore posted:

It also fully realizes the idea that OC is a masterful counter-wrestler/escape artist who's really difficult to beat without interference or cheating.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

It also fully realizes the idea that OC is a masterful counter-wrestler/escape artist who's really difficult to beat without interference or cheating.

Reminds me that one of my favorite OC title defense was against Big Bill because Bill seemed the be one of the few opponents who absolutely understood what he was up against and knew not to allow even an opportunity for OC to get in his head. OC beat him regardless.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

Reminds me that one of my favorite OC title defense was against Big Bill because Bill seemed the be one of the few opponents who absolutely understood what he was up against and knew not to allow even an opportunity for OC to get in his head. OC beat him regardless.

I was really surprised by how fun the Large Billiam match was.

I liked Kip Sabian's approach of being one of the few people able to successfully annoy OC and throw him off his game, but still couldn't outwrestle him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Miro's TNT run was really fun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shard posted:

I am not saying this is one so much as writing down that it could be one & I would like to investigate further: Shinya Hashimoto's 3rd & final IWGP HW Title run, 96-97. Beats Nobuhiko Takada at the Dome in April '96, then runs through Kojima, Flair, Choshu, Yamazaki, Ogawa, Mutoh & Tenzan before dropping the belt to Kensuke Sasaki in August '97. '90s New Japan is a bit of a blank spot for me outwith some of the Junior Heavyweight stuff & I'd really like to actually see peak Hashimoto.

As for actual answers? The two that Suplex Liberace mentioned, yeah. One that hasn't been mentioned, Satoshi Kojima's initial run as Triple Crown Champion Feb '05 through July '06. '00s post-split All Japan is somehow talked about even less than current All Japan but there's some real forgot classics there. Now, it helps that I'm a huge Kojima fan but he wins over Kawada in a forgotten classic, his first defence is an all-timer, cross promotion, to his former company even, 2 titles on the line, & facing tag partner Tenzan, the match that was meant to be a 60 minute draw but Kojima ended up winning the IWGP HW belt to go along with the Triple Crown when Tenzan couldn't continue. At 59 minutes & 49 seconds. Now that's drama. There's then another real great match with his mentor Mutoh. And then there's a couple of defences that I haven't seen in forever but show some of the fun weirdness of the foreigners All Japan were using at the time: Jamal (aka Umaga) & Giant Bernard (aka Prince Albert). From that, another all-timer classic heavyweight clash against Kensuke Sasaki, there's a match against TARU which is peak Voodoo Murders bullshit but is probably the best singles match I've seen from TARU & also because it's peak VM the crowd are incredibly hot. Also I think referee Kyohei Wada gets colour at some point? Maybe I made that up. Then there's a slightly underwhelming defence against Great Muta that was hurt by the finish turning into an angle, before Kojima goes back to being awesome by having the break-out match for Suwama, just 3 years into his career at this point. Finally, compared to the rest of the run his loss to Taiyo Kea is a little disappointing but it's still a good match.

Another one I want to throw out there is Yoshinobu Kanemaru's 3rd GHC Junior HW run. I won't go match by match, but Kanemaru deserves more respect for how great he was despite being less flashy than Marufuji & KENTA.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hashimoto is criminally underrated among modern Western fans

It you like big beefy bois he's one of the best there is

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I like Daichi Hashimoto, not sure I've ever sought out any of his dad's stuff

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I loved Bret Hart’s first WWF title reign. It was such a change of pace from how the title was defended before. You used to rarely see world title matches on tv, and now all of a sudden you have a guy out there defending against anyone - Berzerker, Shango, Skinner. Plus there was the element of surprise - if Bret won the title out of nowhere then maybe he would lose the title out of nowhere too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Hashimoto is criminally underrated among modern Western fans

It you like big beefy bois he's one of the best there is

Yeah, I routinely think "I have big holes in my wrestling fandom" & honestly it's more like one big hole with a few small islands around it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm rather fond of both of Christian's WWE ECW Championship runs but especially the second. Nthing OC's International run - the story has been incredible. And I was heavy into The New Day's tag title run where they broke the record.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

I mean King only got it in Tekken 4 so it's understandable how you nothing would look like how it looked in 3.

In a less pedantic and arseholish answer, the recent one that SANADA did on Hiromu was really nice even if that is mostly down to Hiromu selling it.

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1653762508770152452

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

I mean King only got it in Tekken 4 so it's understandable how you nothing would look like how it looked in 3.

Did Minoru Suzuki motion capture make it out of the PlayStation era of Tekken games? Pretty sure Namco had him do it for King in the first couple games.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Well, poo poo, I felt very strongly that I remembered a crunchy PS1 jaguar headed dude stepping up on someone's knee to demolish their face.

And the two in that SANADA match were exactly why I asked in the first place believe it or not. Hiromu sells it well, but SANADA delivers it more like just a flying knee, no step up or anything. Oh well, that Mutoh one earlier was nice.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I've got some memory of Kaito Kiyomiya doing it as a step-up knee strike, but he only started doing it after I fell off of NOAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm rather fond of both of Christian's WWE ECW Championship runs but especially the second. Nthing OC's International run - the story has been incredible. And I was heavy into The New Day's tag title run where they broke the record.

Eat My Fu-wait a second somethings off here