Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Current conversation in the pest control thread so I don't have to repeat it. Spoiler alert: maybe? Depends on what kind you have.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944991&pagenumber=5#post532028612

Oh perfect thanks for the heads-up I haven't checked that thread out much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I don't know how but a spider set up a web in the mesh collection bag portion of my mosquito magnet trap and it has been having one hell of a feast.

I have heard excellent things about the Mosquitaire trap but mostly when using the CO2 option.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jenkl posted:

Does anything actually work with respect to getting mosquitos to gently caress off?

I think smoke of any kind works ok. We use citronella candles and/or incense out on the deck

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If the original wood color is showing through, is it time to re-stain the deck?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jenkl posted:

Does anything actually work with respect to getting mosquitos to gently caress off?

The #1 thing you can do is make sure they don't have easy breeding grounds on your property, which means standing water. If you've got anything that collects water after a rain and stays filled for a few days that's where your mosquitoes are coming from. Yes, you should tip the bird bath every other day or so and re-fill it.

Obviously this isn't going to work if your property backs up to a swamp, but it's amazing how many people have a few small things kicking around their property creating small pools and puddles. The classic example is tire swings, but I've also seen the drip trays on outdoor planters be lousy with mosquito larvae. Downspout extensions that don't run down-hill all the way and collect water in a low spot are another good one, as are those plastic spatter catchers people put under their down spouts. Pretty much anything involved with catching and disposing of water needs at least a glance, and a solid once-over of everything else to make sure there isn't an ancient solo cup under a bush or something being a mosquito nursery.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vim Fuego posted:

Citronella candles

Citronella candles have not proven to provide any additional protection over anything that produces smoke. So unless you really like the smell of them there's no real reason to stick with them.

We got a little thermacell machine which seems to work but you have to remember to keep it charged, start it 10-15 minutes before you want to be outside, and have a usable cartridge.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I like my Thermacell as well, seems to work pretty decently.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Having a whole lot of fun getting 9 different solutions to a problem from 5 different contractors. I'm repairing some termite damage in my house and part of that process is replacing the flooring. My current floor doesn't have a subfloor and is over a completely open crawl in the very humid gulf coast.

Call some flooring people- 'oh yeah you need to put down a 6mil vapor barrier on the dirt under your house or the floors will buckle'
Call my buddy, a contractor, to see what he thinks- 'no that won't do anything your crawlspace is very well ventilated, I wouldn't worry about it'
Call another floor person, and also another contractor friend-'put down ice and water shield on top of your existing floor before you lay the new floor, we've been doing this for a few years without any callbacks but I can't promise it won't rot your subfloor because in theory it should'
Call a different flooring person-'No that will definitely rot your joists and subfloor in 2 years'
Find an LSU extension service paper called 'Insulating Raised Floors in Hot, Humid Climates'-'either use closed cell spray foam or foil faced rigid foam board with all joints and penetrations taped, vaper barrier on the dirt doesn't matter in an open crawlspace. Or just dont turn your AC below 78 and vapor drive disappears (but gently caress that I want to freeze)'
Call back my first contractor buddy-'hmm yeah I've never seen the foam board like that before but that would make sense'
Call my termite bond guy to see if spray foam or foil faced foam board would gently caress with my termite bond-'spray foam is fine after we treat the wood, that foil stuff on the bottom of the joists will rot your floors especially if you have a leak you don't know about'

So I don't even know what the gently caress right now, lol. The crawl space may not be deep enough for them to safely spray foam, I'm meeting with an insulation guy tomorrow to find out what he says.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 25, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Enjoy your new trex flooring. It comes in some lovely colors.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I like my Thermacell as well, seems to work pretty decently.

This is the only thing that works for me. Tried everything else.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Dave posted:

Citronella candles have not proven to provide any additional protection over anything that produces smoke. So unless you really like the smell of them there's no real reason to stick with them.

We got a little thermacell machine which seems to work but you have to remember to keep it charged, start it 10-15 minutes before you want to be outside, and have a usable cartridge.

Yeah, I like the smell. Never heard of a thermacell, looks interesting

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

For mosquitos: anyone try out Thermacell's LIV system? It's kinda expensive but I live in a dense neighborhood and any standing water mitigation I do is worthless if I can't get a hundred neighbors on the same page. I also only would need two devices and the minimum kit is three.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Downspout extensions that don't run down-hill all the way and collect water in a low spot are another good one, as are those plastic spatter catchers people put under their down spouts. Pretty much anything involved with catching and disposing of water needs at least a glance, and a solid once-over of everything else to make sure there isn't an ancient solo cup under a bush or something being a mosquito nursery.

On this specific issue, I have those corrugated plastic tubes connected to my downspouts and they are both ugly and likely to hold enough water to breed mosquitos. I want to put some basic concrete splash blocks (I think that's the name for them) down, but the local stores only seem to carry either plastic ones, which seem like they're too light and could get dislodged, or fancy metal ones that look goofy. Does nobody make plain concrete splash blocks?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Having a whole lot of fun getting 9 different solutions to a problem from 5 different contractors. I'm repairing some termite damage in my house and part of that process is replacing the flooring. My current floor doesn't have a subfloor and is over a completely open crawl in the very humid gulf coast.

Call some flooring people- 'oh yeah you need to put down a 6mil vapor barrier on the dirt under your house or the floors will buckle'
Call my buddy, a contractor, to see what he thinks- 'no that won't do anything your crawlspace is very well ventilated, I wouldn't worry about it'
Call another floor person, and also another contractor friend-'put down ice and water shield on top of your existing floor before you lay the new floor, we've been doing this for a few years without any callbacks but I can't promise it won't rot your subfloor because in theory it should'
Call a different flooring person-'No that will definitely rot your joists and subfloor in 2 years'
Find an LSU extension service paper called 'Insulating Raised Floors in Hot, Humid Climates'-'either use closed cell spray foam or foil faced rigid foam board with all joints and penetrations taped, vaper barrier on the dirt doesn't matter in an open crawlspace. Or just dont turn your AC below 78 and vapor drive disappears (but gently caress that I want to freeze)'
Call back my first contractor buddy-'hmm yeah I've never seen the foam board like that before but that would make sense'
Call my termite bond guy to see if spray foam or foil faced foam board would gently caress with my termite bond-'spray foam is fine after we treat the wood, that foil stuff on the bottom of the joists will rot your floors especially if you have a leak you don't know about'

So I don't even know what the gently caress right now, lol. The crawl space may not be deep enough for them to safely spray foam, I'm meeting with an insulation guy tomorrow to find out what he says.
If your crawl space is well ventilated and your flooring is high enough from the dirt to allow the air to move around, humidity shouldnt be a problem.

I would not insulate between your floor joists with anything except maybe Rockwool batts as the other methods can trap water and moisture and can conceal damage. Or they rely on a perfect installation which isn't happening outside of LSUs lab.

Putting a vapor barrier down on your dirt crawlspace would help some with humidity but unless you're willing to spend a lot for full encapsulation and a powered dehumidifier, I wouldn't count on the results.

I'm in Texas on a vented crawlspace from 1950 with a subfloor and tar paper and the only issues I've had with rot is where the front of the house is about a foot off the ground and even though there's a vent right there, it's not enough air volume to remove the humidity fast enough. The parts of the house over deeper crawlspace are totally fine.

I've looked into insulating my crawl space but I stuck a temperature sensor down there and it never gets over 70, so it's actually cooling my floors in the summer.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Sounds like thermacell isn't too hot with pollinators or wildlife and we have a really friendly neighbourhood cat I'd never do anything to harm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

On this specific issue, I have those corrugated plastic tubes connected to my downspouts and they are both ugly and likely to hold enough water to breed mosquitos. I want to put some basic concrete splash blocks (I think that's the name for them) down, but the local stores only seem to carry either plastic ones, which seem like they're too light and could get dislodged, or fancy metal ones that look goofy. Does nobody make plain concrete splash blocks?

Can you just use some concrete pavers for this?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jenkl posted:

Sounds like thermacell isn't too hot with pollinators or wildlife and we have a really friendly neighbourhood cat I'd never do anything to harm.

Huh I didn't know that, good lookin out. I'll have to check it out, in about a month we're going to bring our 'sewer cat', as the neighbours kids call her, inside. Her name is Lasagna and she is a glorious little girly :3:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jenkl posted:

That's good to know! I have a native bee house that's thriving and I don't wanna mess em up

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can you just use some concrete pavers for this?

Can I? I legitimately don't know, I thought you wanted something funnel-shaped to route the water away from your foundation. If it's safe to just lay down some pavers, sure, I'll do that. Maybe put down a little gravel first so they slope away from the house?

I seem to recall "Water is your greatest enemy" being the title of this thread or another home improvement thread at some point, and it stuck with me :rolleye:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Kylaer posted:

Had the same trouble finding them around here, ended up getting the concrete ones at a local landscape supply place.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I lived up in Northern Alberta 15+ years ago, a guy I worked with had one of those propane powered mosquito trap things.

It was unbelievable how many it pulled in. There was a little mesh type bag they flew into and got trapped, probably 4-5" long, and within a day it was stuffed full. He emptied it, repeated, and within a day or two he was basically left alone in his back yard.

Anecdotally, YMMV, etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Can I? I legitimately don't know, I thought you wanted something funnel-shaped to route the water away from your foundation. If it's safe to just lay down some pavers, sure, I'll do that. Maybe put down a little gravel first so they slope away from the house?

I seem to recall "Water is your greatest enemy" being the title of this thread or another home improvement thread at some point, and it stuck with me :rolleye:

Ahh, I wasn't entirely clear on what your goal was. Yeah, if you need to direct runoff then a paver probably isn't going to be adequate. I guess you could use mortar and make a little channel/aqueduct that way but that's a lot of work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

slidebite posted:

When I lived up in Northern Alberta 15+ years ago, a guy I worked with had one of those propane powered mosquito trap things.

It was unbelievable how many it pulled in. There was a little mesh type bag they flew into and got trapped, probably 4-5" long, and within a day it was stuffed full. He emptied it, repeated, and within a day or two he was basically left alone in his back yard.

Anecdotally, YMMV, etc.

Those things are said to work by basically everyone here and Finland is mosquito paradise... As a lot of northern places seem to be.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

slidebite posted:

Anecdotally, YMMV, etc.

I stayed at a friends cottage in Northern Ontario and he had the same set-up, saw zero mosquitos the two weekends I was up there.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Per the pest control thread, there's a CO2 based version called a mosquitaire that seems well reviewed and safe. Pricey though.

I'm gonna try some garlic juice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Per the pest control thread, there's a CO2 based version called a mosquitaire that seems well reviewed and safe. Pricey though.

I'm gonna try some garlic juice.

The commercial propane units are the bomb. It's the only thing that really, truly works for every type of biting bug. You'll find them hidden in the landscape at high end resorts all over the caribbean.

The expense doesn't stop at "holy crap, these cost $800?????". You'll find they have limited range so you probalby new a few to cover an area properly. You'll need to keep up with propane tank changes. And they clog all the drat time, so you're doing periodic (near daily) maintenance or at least checking them.

They also don't just immediately work most times. You're essentially trying to interrupt the breeding cycle. So once you get through the first one they do much better. If they are still running. And by the time you notice you have mosquitoes back and go check/unclog/swap the tank on yours it's too late and you're got a bloom starting over again.

If you can get away with spraying garlic extract on your grass and shrubs every 20-30 days for the summer it's a much better solution in every possible way unless you have an on-site gardening crew anyway. It just doesn't work or isn't enough in some places and then yeah.....I'd just set reminders to go check on the drat CO2 traps.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Is this the right question to ask about a hare-brained scheme for building a combo garage/boat house near a family cabin?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Just get bats and swarms of dragonflies

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

Buy the plastic ones and fill the bottom with concrete?

Fun story about these, the neighbor's builder *insisted* they were supposed to go backwards, so instead of the raised side at the back and a nice sloped surface for water to run out... he put them with the wall of the splash on the outside, so they'd always fill with water.

I have to go back out and swap them around now that he's gone...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t check out HC&H much, is this the right thread to talk about how I think I may have hosed up my freezer a little by leaving the door slightly open overnight?

I’d like to figure out what’s wrong before calling in someone for repairs

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Can you not shut the freezer door? What makes you think it's hosed up?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vim Fuego posted:

Can you not shut the freezer door? What makes you think it's hosed up?

The door shuts fine and it’s still freezing but it makes a sound like CLICK-buzz-click every couple minutes. It’s loud enough to be a little annoying but it also just sounds like something’s wrong and I’d like to figure out if it’s going to get worse.

The kitchen is small and we had extremely limited options for what would fit in the space so I’m a little extra worried

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

The door shuts fine and it’s still freezing but it makes a sound like CLICK-buzz-click every couple minutes. It’s loud enough to be a little annoying but it also just sounds like something’s wrong and I’d like to figure out if it’s going to get worse.

The kitchen is small and we had extremely limited options for what would fit in the space so I’m a little extra worried

Do you have an icemaker? If so, you've angered it in some way. The only solution is a priest.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

devicenull posted:

Do you have an icemaker? If so, you've angered it in some way. The only solution is a priest.

There is one but I turned it off not too long after we got it because it was making noise but different from now as I recall. I’ll check it tomorrow just in case, thanks. I’d love it if that were it but the timing makes me pessimistic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

devicenull posted:

Buy the plastic ones and fill the bottom with concrete?

Fun story about these, the neighbor's builder *insisted* they were supposed to go backwards, so instead of the raised side at the back and a nice sloped surface for water to run out... he put them with the wall of the splash on the outside, so they'd always fill with water.

I have to go back out and swap them around now that he's gone...

If you go to that length may as well just free form and pour your own splash blocks. It's a pretty simple shape, you could do it with a dry mix concrete pretty easily. Or form it upside down with foam and wood.

I'd try a landscaping supply or something. I just searched for precast splash blocks near me on Google and came up with a few options near me. The first one had a review that said "needed a splash block, found it only here".

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I gotta be pedantic on the Thermacell posts.

The manufacturer says: our product is safe please buy it lol: https://thermacell.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4526251807380-Are-the-products-safe-for-bees-and-other-wildlife-

No but really, it doesn't seem that bad. To the extent possible with how well we understand insects albeit, which is really not very much at all of course. I think it uses metofluthrin.

So yeah it's definitely not great, I have not read into efficacy too closely yet but I absolutely hate mosquitoes. I wonder what swampy places like Florida do because people should do that (only if it is very important for your property, I would not want to spread this info or encourage a bunch of people to have metofluthrin around like every 50 ft because there may be an understudied community effect). Propane and metofluthrin I'm guessing?

I may use it at night if I was being cautious and would be more careful if I had bees on my property, there would probably be more specific reading if it's possible to use it while beekeeping.

DEET is my favorite chemical compound I think ever. Super effective for me. It feels quite chemically though, haven't gone camping much so I dunno how I would feel about it on clothing and skin for multiple days all the time. I might get used to it.

edit:

If you have New York Times access or can get to without paywall, this seems to be a rather excellent mosquito hate list, and NYT crowd would be considerate of our animal and pollinator friends using good sources, I use Wirecutter for bunch of stuff:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gear/

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 26, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

The commercial propane units are the bomb. It's the only thing that really, truly works for every type of biting bug. You'll find them hidden in the landscape at high end resorts all over the caribbean.

The expense doesn't stop at "holy crap, these cost $800?????". You'll find they have limited range so you probalby new a few to cover an area properly. You'll need to keep up with propane tank changes. And they clog all the drat time, so you're doing periodic (near daily) maintenance or at least checking them.

They also don't just immediately work most times. You're essentially trying to interrupt the breeding cycle. So once you get through the first one they do much better. If they are still running. And by the time you notice you have mosquitoes back and go check/unclog/swap the tank on yours it's too late and you're got a bloom starting over again.

If you can get away with spraying garlic extract on your grass and shrubs every 20-30 days for the summer it's a much better solution in every possible way unless you have an on-site gardening crew anyway. It just doesn't work or isn't enough in some places and then yeah.....I'd just set reminders to go check on the drat CO2 traps.

This is interesting because I had been planning on picking up a portable thermacell to keep in the camper, but then thought, hey, the camper's got a lotta propane on it and if a propane unit works well...

but then it seems like that's more meant for consistent longer term use in one particular spot, based on your explanation here? And not something that would do poo poo if just firing it up at a campsite for a few hours. And maybe uses a lot of gas?

Welp.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I dunno if there's much you can do to keep mosquitoes under control on a mobile basis besides wearing insect repellent. The traps and lures and so on would have some effect, but are they going to catch everything before it bites you? That seems unlikely.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dunno if there's much you can do to keep mosquitoes under control on a mobile basis besides wearing insect repellent. The traps and lures and so on would have some effect, but are they going to catch everything before it bites you? That seems unlikely.

The link above has products from the Thermacell company that are mobile. I would be careful with this but I have my suspicions if anything clearly detrimental to bee populations or activity would be OK to be freely marketed to be used as labeled (all over trails, camping etc.) by consumers in Lowe's Depot or other huge stores. Is it amazing for bee populations? No and it's definitely toxic to them if they do unfortunately touch it. But if you use a product as labeled and don't literally dance all over a field full of plants rather than dirt or other areas, I would probably try it out. It dissipates in I think hours. I hate mosquitoes and like to touch grass sometimes.

I would also slather and bathe in the DEET. I get a ton of bites and don't think I've gotten bitten if I used DEET well enough.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

This is interesting because I had been planning on picking up a portable thermacell to keep in the camper, but then thought, hey, the camper's got a lotta propane on it and if a propane unit works well...

but then it seems like that's more meant for consistent longer term use in one particular spot, based on your explanation here? And not something that would do poo poo if just firing it up at a campsite for a few hours. And maybe uses a lot of gas?

Welp.

They don't use a TON of gas (a 20 lb tank last for 2-3 weeks) but yes, you're really working to interrupt breeding cycles. Will it make an immediate difference? Sure, but it's not going to be 100% at all. I would presume it's highly dependent on how much bug pressure there is in the area to begin with.