Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

In Europe? Totally, it's usually the fallback if contactless doesn't work. Swiping your CC isn't a thing here.
Now I’m getting concerned. I don’t think I’ve ever set a pin on the 2 CCs I might use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Saladman posted:

Yeah. The abbreviation ATM is "automated *teller* machine". Like bank teller, the people you go to and talk to at a bank counter. They can do everything an ATM can do plus more. .
You may not know this, but at some/many US banks the tellers will only do business with people who have accounts at that bank,

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You may not know this, but at some/many US banks the tellers will only do business with people who have accounts at that bank,

This is also the case at most (smaller) European bank branches.
If you walk in there and say "I'd like to withdraw some money using this card that you didn't issue" the staff will point you to the ATM next to the door

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Why does Dublin have a dozen bus services? Getting anywhere in town is nuts. So many suggested routes use multiple services to get you where you want to go. It is frustrating.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

I lived in Bolzano and Trento for awhile. I would go to Val di Fassa and Alpe di Siusi a lot. I would take the bus to Vigo di Fassa, then the funicular up to the south end of the valley. I would hike at a leisurely pace and stay either here - https://goo.gl/maps/gBEW51qaDG3NTBsF8 or here - https://goo.gl/maps/Vyz8Uch5PNGQDq5U7. From the first hut, you can easily hike up here - https://goo.gl/maps/djikDBrX2reEU1PN8. The next day, I would hike north out of the valley and cross into the Alpe di Siusi over the Catinaccios at this point - https://goo.gl/maps/NBMCJHLm9eP5xZmGA. However, this leg can be long for some people, so you can hike to this hut on the first day, located on a small lake - https://goo.gl/maps/cZ9htv8f6MYs3h5i7. From Rosszahnscharte, it's a leisurely downhill hike in the largest alpine meadow in Europe. The cable car at Compatsch will take you down to the town of Siusi, where you can pick up a bus to take you back to civilization.

Thanks so much for this, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Would something like either 1 night in val di fassa, 1 night in refuge, 1 night in suisi work? (or 2 night in val di fassa somewhere, 1 night in refuge, last night in bolzano before leaving?)

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Now I’m getting concerned. I don’t think I’ve ever set a pin on the 2 CCs I might use

Check with your bank, they may be able to reset the pin for you or communicate it to you in one way or another.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Josh Lyman posted:

Capital One promises, "You don't need a PIN for our cards in foreign lands! Talk to the merchant if asked for one."

ok I will talk to the automatic gas pump at an unattended fueling station; thanks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I seem to recall it was mainly train ticket machines that wanted chip + pin with no fallback.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Greg12 posted:

Capital One promises, "You don't need a PIN for our cards in foreign lands! Talk to the merchant if asked for one."

Yeah, sure, the 17 year old manning the cash register at the convenience store will get right into overriding the default settings of the payment terminal for you

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EricBauman posted:

This is also the case at most (smaller) European bank branches.
If you walk in there and say "I'd like to withdraw some money using this card that you didn't issue" the staff will point you to the ATM next to the door

Was that for trying to withdraw fairly large amounts? If you go inside a bank to withdraw a couple hundred euros from a real teller I imagine they'd politely suggest that next time you go to the ATM even if it was your own bank. I've only been inside a bank in Europe to withdraw money one time my entire life in Europe, where I needed €4000 in cash, so no idea for how commonly cross-accepted they are.

But yeah I did have the case you described happen in Ethiopia; we went to a branch of the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia and they told us we had to go to a smaller (though still large, national) private bank instead to get $2000-equivalent in Ethiopian Birr.

I have had "go into the bank teller" be a life saver twice. Once in Bolivia, where every ATM we could find only allowed you put in a 4 digit PIN code, when all Swiss cards have 6 digit PINs... so it would just immediately test our PINs and fail after 4 digits. The other time in Cameroon, where the like three ATMs in the capital just didn't work at all, but from a bank teller I could get money without issue. I've also gone in in person to get larger amounts inside banks in Tunisia and Egypt, where I lived but didn't ever set up a local bank account. It's pretty rare it comes up when travelling for me, since usually whatever the max withdrawal amount is that I can get from a single ATM transaction is enough for quite a while.

I also think I've talked to a bank teller about 10 times in my entire life.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Indolent Bastard posted:

Why does Dublin have a dozen bus services? Getting anywhere in town is nuts. So many suggested routes use multiple services to get you where you want to go. It is frustrating.

It was never great, but then Dublin Bus sold off a pile of the less busy routes to Go Ahead, a company with long-established form for providing extremely lovely service.
So not only are these routes poorly serviced, checking bus timetables is a lot more annoying than it was when Dublin Bus ran them all.
Plus there are private companies running services in various local areas.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

a drink or two posted:

Thanks so much for this, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Would something like either 1 night in val di fassa, 1 night in refuge, 1 night in suisi work? (or 2 night in val di fassa somewhere, 1 night in refuge, last night in bolzano before leaving?)

I don't know much about the base of the valley (Vigo di Fassa), but you could spend a night there, then take the funicular up to the start of the valley and easily make the Passo Principe refuge for the next night From there, it is a doable hike to Alpe di Siusi the next day, and you could spend that next night in Siusi. There are other refuges along the way that I haven't mentioned, like this one - https://goo.gl/maps/atdSPnmprUZwzo399 that is located right before you hike over the Catinaccios into Alpe di Siusi.

Also, if you're staying in refuges, bring your own bedsheet(s) in your pack. The beds can be not the cleanest to sleep on.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I have two US credit cards, both are "chip and signature" rather than my European "chip and PIN" cards. You just put it in the card reader and press "OK" when it asks for confirmation, where for a European card it would ask for a PIN+OK. Then you may or may not need to sign something. If you're somewhere that doesn't get American tourists, it's likely the person will have never seen a card that needed a signature, so they may not ask you even if it is technically required, and anyway the signature doesn't really matter unless you intend on contesting charges... in which case they still won't check for the signature unless it's a very large transaction.

I have only ever had "chip and signature" fail in some automated parking meters and ticket machines, never had an issue with it in a shop. I have a lot of experience with this too, using my American credit card as my primary card for years in Europe too (I live in Europe).

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of going to Portugal for a few days in June, most likely Porto. Looking for long meandering walks, pretty old things, cozy romantic meals. Any suggestions along those lines?

I'll also be in St Andrews Scotland for a few days while the GF does a school thing. Looking for hikes, pubs, grub, and possible day trips to the surrounding countryside.

Looking to avoid: tourist traps, the English

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2023

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I just got back from a Prague/Vienna/Budapest trip and discovered a surprising number of places that don't even let you insert a chip card: it's contactless or cash. Unfortunately for me, I discovered while there that my primary card's contactless functionality didn't work, so I ended up using a backup card for those and paying a few extra bucks in foreign transaction fees.

Even tourist sights with an actual person selling tickets seemed to assume you'd be using a contactless card; they'd present me with the tap end of the machine and then when I asked to insert it they'd pull out a different machine and insist on inserting it for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Incoherence posted:

I just got back from a Prague/Vienna/Budapest trip and discovered a surprising number of places that don't even let you insert a chip card: it's contactless or cash. Unfortunately for me, I discovered while there that my primary card's contactless functionality didn't work, so I ended up using a backup card for those and paying a few extra bucks in foreign transaction fees.

Even tourist sights with an actual person selling tickets seemed to assume you'd be using a contactless card; they'd present me with the tap end of the machine and then when I asked to insert it they'd pull out a different machine and insist on inserting it for me.
All my cards have contactless but in case they don’t work, shouldn’t Apple Pay work?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Josh Lyman posted:

All my cards have contactless but in case they don’t work, shouldn’t Apple Pay work?
I didn't think of Google Wallet/Pay/whatever their equivalent is called this week until too late to test it, but maybe?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Incoherence posted:

This reminds me actually of another case of that I came across recently - to buy tickets on the trams / buses in Brussels, it is only possible with contactless. It is also only possible to buy one ticket per card, so if you are travelling with your kids, you’d better have as many cards as you have people in your group.

It’s also increasingly difficult to be able to buy tickets from drivers / conductors in Europe and I feel like the point of sale machines at public transport stops have been gradually disappearing as well. It can be such a confusing mess to buy bus / surface tram tickets, like in Rome you have to download some stupid app, which is even worse. At least subways are still easy to use.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The one-ticket-per-card thing seems like it would be a problem for locals too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Incoherence posted:

I didn't think of Google Wallet/Pay/whatever their equivalent is called this week until too late to test it, but maybe?
Oh I think I misread your original post. It sounds like it wasn't an issue with contactless, just that your primary card was "broken".

I'm planning to bring 1 Visa and 1 Mastercard, both have contactless and no foreign transaction fee, hopefully I'll be okay. :ohdear:

(I have a 3rd card without FTF but that seems like overkill)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Link your two cards to Apple Pay or the Google equivalent and try to quit worrying about it. I worried too much, too.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

smackfu posted:

The one-ticket-per-card thing seems like it would be a problem for locals too.

If Belgium is like the Netherlands, and this is just my own cursory knowledge at best, then locals don't actually buy tickets on a ride-by-ride basis, they have their own personalised cards that they can top up whenever necessary, children included. It's like London's Oyster card system but a bit broader, I guess. Also, I think you usually need an address for these long-term cards, so screw you if you're homeless! (happy to be corrected obvs)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I feel like everyone just uses the local transport apps here in Finland, and it also feels far more convenient than paper tickets and cards

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Took that trip to Greece, thanks for the advice everyone. Didn't end up in Meteora unfortunately, but got through a good part of Athens and headed down to the Cyclades. Gorgeous as all gently caress.

Since we're on the topic of cards, I realized there my debit card was expired and I hadn't set a pin for my credit cards (yeah, yeah, dumb). It was ... fine? Taxis were a bit annoying since I needed to order them from uber (which required finding a place with wifi) or call their office for booking, but everyone else took credit.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 26, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I feel like everyone just uses the local transport apps here in Finland, and it also feels far more convenient than paper tickets and cards

They're fantastic if you live somewhere. As a short term tourist they're way less convenient. No one wants to download some app and use it for a three day trip to some city they'll never go back to, let alone an app if you have to register an account and can't even buy a ticket as a "Guest".

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The points you brought up are exactly why I like them, just buy the tickets in the app and uninstall when you're done, what's the bad part of that? It's more convenient than searching for the ticket office/machine.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
My only gripe with apps and phones tied to transport is that once your phone battery dies everything dies. I actually like the suica or oyster or octopus model where you can tap everywhere for shops and transport and top up anytime.

Oh yeah salad man, you guys can use apple wallet and apply for the free suica card.

I think it’s insane that visa and master card are collecting micro transaction fees from the rest of the world

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mmkay posted:

The points you brought up are exactly why I like them, just buy the tickets in the app and uninstall when you're done, what's the bad part of that? It's more convenient than searching for the ticket office/machine.

The time it takes to:

1. Google "which app to use to buy bus tickets in Rome"
2. See that there are four different apps that can do that. Download the first one "myCicero"
3. Put in your app store password. Wait 30 seconds for app to download and install.
4. Set up account, put in personal details, add credit card, authorize credit card.
5. Look for ticket, buy ticket

versus

1. Walk up to a point of sale machine or conductor, press or say "1 bigaletti por favor s'il vous plait"
2. pay 2 euros with a card or coins

E: The Brussels system "tap a credit card on the inside of the bus" is way easier and is great, just annoying for families or people who don't have contactless credit cards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also 50/50 you downloaded the right app, and depending on the country it might not be translated.

That seat 61 website that shows how to buy train tickets is a horror show.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Okay last few posts have been a revelation. I will be traveling with a group which includes an early teen who doesn't have their own credit card. Was assuming I could buy tickets from a machine and/or buy tap on/tap off type cards. Is this not the case? :ohdear:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Should say going to:

• Barcelona and Madrid
  • Rome and Venice
  • Paris
  • London
  • Amsterdam

Fairly certain London has like a 3 day rail pass, but the one thing I wasn't too worried about I am now like :prepop:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In Amsterdam you can definitely buy physical and nonpersonalized tap cards unless they abolished them in the last 2 months.

also take a Those Dam Boat Guys tour

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

In Amsterdam you can definitely buy physical and nonpersonalized tap cards unless they abolished them in the last 2 months.

also take a Those Dam Boat Guys tour

Those Dam Boat Guys looks awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

As an Android user with a visa card, this has me somewhat worried however. Is "stripe" just a credit card?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Stripe is an online payment processor, it's well known and secure

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

greazeball posted:

Stripe is an online payment processor, it's well known and secure

Oh cool, so I can just use my credit card then

I've just never seen a list of payment options that didn't include 'visa/mastercard' on the list

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chewbecca posted:

Okay last few posts have been a revelation. I will be traveling with a group which includes an early teen who doesn't have their own credit card. Was assuming I could buy tickets from a machine and/or buy tap on/tap off type cards. Is this not the case? :ohdear:

It’s still the case in most places. Brussels, Amsterdam, and Rome are the only cities I’ve been to in the past 3 years where I had issues with buying tickets like a normal human being, either from a person or from a point of sale machine. A lot of normal human being stuff disappeared over COVID and isn’t coming back though, so it might be more prevalent than that, as I’ve spent most of my vacations the last three years going by car and visiting smaller cities and towns.

Your teen doesn’t *personally* need a credit card either even for the Brussels and Amsterdam tap system - it’s would just mean that one person in your group would need two credit cards, one to tap for themselves and one for the teenager. Also it doesn’t have to be an actual credit card, VPAY and Maestro and whatever work.

There is usually an alternative way to buy tickets somewhere if you are spending several days in the same place. It’s just if you’re spending like one day in London passing through, getting an Oyster card is more hassle than it’s worth (gotta deal with the deposit, going up to some desk, talking to someone, etc; fine if you’ll be there a week and use the card 15 times, not great if you want to use it twice).

So mostly this is complaining about something that is not really a common issue.

E; didn’t see your city list before. Barcelona is still straightforward. Paris too. Amsterdam you’ll need one credit card for tapping for each and every person, or go into some office and find an alternative - tickets are not sold on public transport nor are there point of sale machines in Amsterdam for local public transport. Rome is the only really annoying one I see, for public transport you’ll need to download MyCicero, one person can buy multiple tickets for the entire group with one app on one phone. Information online saying you can buy tickets at tabbachi/ news kiosks is wrong and out of date.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 26, 2023

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

FWIW in Barcelona there is an app/plastic rechargeable card option but I don't think tourists can get one (Google isn't helping either -- it's called T-Mobilitat -- anyone know?). I wouldn't recommend it anyway because it's complicated to set up, there are different accounts you need and then you have to link them (I forget the details, just remember it was confusing).

But it's easy to buy paper tickets at metro stations and newsstand kiosks. You can also tap contactless credit cards on-board busses for single rides. But for metros, more likely to be the modality you end up using, you need the paper ticket.

For completion your options are
- Single ride: €2.40
- T-casual: 10 rides for €11.35, cannot be shared.
- T-familiar: 8 rides for €10, can be shared (i.e. can swipe multiple people on the same trip)
- HolaBCN: various multi-day options. You can save 10% buying online and then pick it up at the airport.
- Barcelona card: multi-day options plus free or discounted entry to museums and attractions. Check the list, if you're planning on enough of those activities it's a good deal.

The big downside of the T-casual and T-familiar for visitors is that they don't cover the metro to/from the airport. So HolaBCN or Barcelona card can make sense, although taxi from the airport is often the best option depending on your group size and how much you value spending less time with your luggage. And you may just end up walking everywhere, also depending on where you're staying and what you want to do, in which case just get a T-familiar for the group if/when you need it.

So yeah.. it's definitely confusing, but everyone not having a credit card isn't an issue. At the machine you can buy everyone's ticket with one transaction.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 26, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Thanks for the detailed post, SurgicalOntologist. Lots to think about, and the tourist card may (or may not) be worth it. Will do some research today!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chewbecca posted:

Thanks for the detailed post, SurgicalOntologist. Lots to think about, and the tourist card may (or may not) be worth it. Will do some research today!

Just in case you missed it since I added the details in an edit after you already posted here: do deal with Rome in advance and get the MyCicero app installed. Only need one person to have it for any number of people in the group.

The rest of your cities should be fine so long as your group has at least as many contactless cards as you have people in the group. If you don’t then you’ll have to go into some transport office to find a solution for Amsterdam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Saladman posted:

Just in case you missed it since I added the details in an edit after you already posted here: do deal with Rome in advance and get the MyCicero app installed. Only need one person to have it for any number of people in the group.

The rest of your cities should be fine so long as your group has at least as many contactless cards as you have people in the group. If you don’t then you’ll have to go into some transport office to find a solution for Amsterdam.

Thank you, and yes I had missed that!