Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Only Marathon was announced as an extraction shooter though right? Concord was just called a multiplayer FPS, and Fairgame$ is a “competitive heist game”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I been thinking. All of these shooters are now chasing after the Extraction game craze...but does that craze even exist? There was that spate of games all trying to be the next big BR, but in that case it was because PUBG and Fortnite had become the biggest things in the world, and while a bunch of titles came and went, Apex and COD Warzone managed to arrive and thrive. Meanwhile, on the Extraction shooter side of things, the two biggest examples I can think of are HUNT, which maintains a comfortable and consistent playerbase of around 30K concurrent, and Tarkov, which I know is popular but also seems like a gaming black box: the people who play Tarkov play a lot of Tarkov and don't seem particularly interested in any pretenders. I guess all these devs and publishers are hoping to become the king of the genre while it's still nascent, but I'm just not sure if the mainstream appeal is there.

I don’t think extraction shooters have broad mainstream appeal but they do have two very important things; designers love them, much like every designer in the wake of Dark Souls suddenly wouldn’t shut up about Dark Souls. They love the story telling potential and the friction of PvPvE and the intensity of losing everything but in an environment that they enjoy that isn’t some MMO from twenty years ago.

Secondly while it might not have mainstream appeal, through its combination of incredible fundamentals and incredibly bad everything else, Tarkov has already created the next generation of post-WoW addicts. People who will shove their filthy brain meats into every extraction shooter made for the rest of time, trying to find that high again.

These two things mean that even if they don’t have the appeal of a MOBA or a BR, we’re probably going to continue to get extraction shooter attempts for a while and like those two genres most will be terrible and DOA.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Veotax posted:

There's actually some screenshots of the MGS3 remake on the official site, and it looks way more faithful to the original game than I expected, like using the same level design faithful. They're all from early game areas though, but MGS3 is one of my favourite games and I played it a ton, I recognised some of these areas instantly. So that gives me some hope for it.
Doesn't show poo poo about the actual gameplay, of course, so there's plenty of room to gently caress up. Do we know what studio is making this yet?

https://www.konami.com/mg/mgs3r/us/en/

I dunno about this. Metal Gear Solid has such a strong visual identity. I feel like you can take a screenshot from any MGS game and it’s unmistakable what it is. Obviously MGS1 and MGSV don’t look the same but even with that technical gap, I feel like you can still see the distinct lineage and visual evolution. I thought the PS2 games in particular - of which MGS3 was obviously part of - straddled a perfect line between an artistic style in a realistic setting.

This just looks like “hey, realism” to me. It’s almost certainly too early to say that with any accuracy but we can only work with they’ve shown us so far and.. that’s my take.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

I been thinking. All of these shooters are now chasing after the Extraction game craze...but does that craze even exist? There was that spate of games all trying to be the next big BR, but in that case it was because PUBG and Fortnite had become the biggest things in the world, and while a bunch of titles came and went, Apex and COD Warzone managed to arrive and thrive. Meanwhile, on the Extraction shooter side of things, the two biggest examples I can think of are HUNT, which maintains a comfortable and consistent playerbase of around 30K concurrent, and Tarkov, which I know is popular but also seems like a gaming black box: the people who play Tarkov play a lot of Tarkov and don't seem particularly interested in any pretenders. I guess all these devs and publishers are hoping to become the king of the genre while it's still nascent, but I'm just not sure if the mainstream appeal is there.

More recently there's also been Call of Duty's DMZ, which is a very lite take on the genre that does seem to be overall quite popular. I figure that's a big enough name to catch a fair amount of attention.

Also I guess Battlefield 2042 also tried to have a go at it but lmao that was as dead on arrival as the rest of the game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

At least two of these games swerved from trying to do a live-service game (too developer intensive), to a multiplayer battle-royale (too saturated)

I think this is probably where it's at: PvPvE is a good and cheap medium between live-service, which costs too much, and full multiplayer, which dies very quickly unless it's the hot thing. You can't play a PvP game in there's no other P, but you can play a PvE game without a second P, or at least there's a potential for a much longer tail.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anno posted:

Only Marathon was announced as an extraction shooter though right? Concord was just called a multiplayer FPS, and Fairgame$ is a “competitive heist game”.
The latter is almost 100% an ES from that trailer and description, then there's also Sega's thing, then there's ARK Raiders turning from co-op to PVPVE.

Perestroika posted:

More recently there's also been Call of Duty's DMZ, which is a very lite take on the genre that does seem to be overall quite popular.
Is it? From what I understand people hate Warzone 2.0 (no clue why tbh but I haven't played either iteration), and since both the BR and the ES launch through the same client, you can't really tell how many people are playing which game mode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OzFactor posted:

I think this is probably where it's at: PvPvE is a good and cheap medium between live-service, which costs too much, and full multiplayer, which dies very quickly unless it's the hot thing. You can't play a PvP game in there's no other P, but you can play a PvE game without a second P, or at least there's a potential for a much longer tail.

Nah. PvPvE means PvP with extra steps. if you need to be prepared to fight other players at any time then everything surrounding the PvP only matters insofar as it changes how you fight players. Hunt showdown works because it understands this and has no illusions about a “PvE only playstyle” being a real thing or something that any of its players are there to do. the AI is simple, trivial to kill and poses no risk of wiping your team if you just blast it. If you hypothetically knew that the game didn’t spawn any other teams in your match and you were free to just shoot your way to the boss, shoot the boss to death through a window and walk out with the bounty, the game would be very boring and you would have seen all it has to offer in an hour.

Instead, if you choose to shoot a hellhound then 9 other humans will call out to their teams that they heard a vetterli karabiner gunshot and triangulate your exact position from the distance and direction of the gunshot they heard. but if you just heard crows flying your way five seconds ago, you might not want to try to kill hellhounds quietly with a knife and probably take damage from them right before that incoming team sees you. The tension and randomization the AI adds makes the entire game work, but only in the context where other humans are out there somewhere.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm not arguing that a low player base PvPvE game would be good or fun, just that studio executives might see it as a way to extend the life of a multiplayer game past the initial hype and thus continue to make money without a lot of continued development.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fair, I could see the angle that at least some of the people making these games don’t understand how to approach what they’re making, considering how many of them get really basic things wrong that make me question whether they’ve ever played a multiplayer game with friends before. oh, word? your team game separates the group and instantly kicks our friend out of the match when they die so that they’re stuck by themselves waiting on us, and they’ll get nothing if we win? Cool, going to play more hunt instead.

Maybe marathon will get it right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No Wave posted:

Because it literally does not matter. So called disastrous launch cyberpunk now has a thread full of fans here shilling it for free.

so you're saying we should look forward to studio trigger making a redfall anime

Orv
May 4, 2011
DMZ was great until they added blatantly advantageous DLC for it.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

- Atelier Marie Remake releases July 12th

Anybody played the original of this?

I looked at the Steam page and it says that it now has an "Unlimited" mode, which I assume to mean that all garbage time limits are gone, which is what has put me off the Atelier games since forever.

Are the more modern Atelier games like this i.e., non-time restricted?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Anybody played the original of this?

I looked at the Steam page and it says that it now has an "Unlimited" mode, which I assume to mean that all garbage time limits are gone, which is what has put me off the Atelier games since forever.

Are the more modern Atelier games like this i.e., non-time restricted?

For the most part yeah. Ryza has no time limits to speak of and is a very chill experience.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just noticed this is free for awhile https://store.steampowered.com/app/383270/Hue/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Ateiler" is an artist's loft, so what the gently caress are those games about

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Doing alchemy, as I understand it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

zoux posted:

From what I can tell, making potions and bombs in your loft :v:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

zoux posted:

You're an alchemist, usually with your licensing or apprenticeship or the like being a part of the plot and allowing for some past characters to weave in and out (hey, it's the girl who became a master in one of the prior titles, and she's running the exam!, etc).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Anime girls doing kawaii things and developing/deploying thermonuclear devices made from pinecones.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think atelier is meant in the sense of "workshop"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish I had an alchemist's loft

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in this housing market???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mycot posted:

I think atelier is meant in the sense of "workshop"

Well they need a better word, a word for a place where you mix chemicals. Alas there is none in our pathetic tongue.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"what in the name of rear end were they thinking" - the angry vide o game nerd

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gatekeeping gas lighting are we?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Orv posted:

Gatekeeping gas lighting are we?

you forgot girlbossing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The gates have opened, the angels have blown their horns, we have a sign. Valve might be working on a new game or even an actual update for TF2.

https://twitter.com/johnpatricklowr/status/1661805037126033408?t=CVLBmmLjRxLA9ZfgkzgHCw&s=19

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

zoux posted:

Well they need a better word, a word for a place where you mix chemicals. Alas there is none in our pathetic tongue.

Meth Lab Ryza: The Alchemist of Albuquerque

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

The gates have opened, the angels have blown their horns, we have a sign. Valve might be working on a new game or even an actual update for TF2.

https://twitter.com/johnpatricklowr/status/1661805037126033408?t=CVLBmmLjRxLA9ZfgkzgHCw&s=19

where's the new NOLF John

where is it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could be Dota 2 related. Wasn't his last Valve role in the critically acclaimed smash hit Artifact?

e: Also

Hwurmp posted:

where's the new NOLF John

where is it

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 25, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Team Fortress 3: Extraction

Orv
May 4, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

you forgot girlbossing

It was a joke about early lighting methods and chemistry :argh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Summer Sale 2023 ARG

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ricochet II ?!?!?!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Their making TF2 again, but all gritty like in those magazines

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mordja posted:

Their making TF2 again, but all gritty like in those magazines

Doing the overwatch thing where it's the same game but they increment the number on the end to add in a battle pass.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if valve made tf3 i would probably just play that for another 2000 hours

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

zoux posted:

What's going on with all these big releases that just don't loving work or aren't ready at all. I know it's been happening forever but every single one this year it seems is unplayable out of the box. Are we still crunched from COVID poo poo or what

DX12 was a mistake

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The gollum game seemed like such a bad idea from the start. Even when I was a kid and really into lotr I never fantasized about an action adventure game where you play as loving gollum.

Though I've always thought in general all the lotr games were too action driven. So much of the books are about wandering around and seeing new places. Gimme a chill game where I can hang out with hobbits and get high with wizards instead of saving the world. We already know the assholes who save the world just let me soak in the scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That just sort of doubles back around to the question of who the game was even for, who out there wanted to play as Gollum Lord of the Rings?