Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have no idea, unfortunately one of the contradictions of freedom is that some people are going to insist on doing dumb poo poo with that freedom. And as other people have said it's not a trend, it's a dumb video one kid made that's probably now going to become a trend after the media have blown it up.

A lot of the problems with this can be boileddown to "but what if" fears about if he'd had malicious intent or if he'd refused to leave etc, and I think it does change things that he's a black lad walking into a reasonably middle class family home.

I was more interested in the police having carte blanche to just go "Oh, what you're doing isn't going to get you a custodial sentence? Well we'll tell you not to do it anyway, and then give you a custodial sentence for ignoring us." It just feels really fucky and due-process-dodging.

But there has to be some way we can curtail someone who is abusing the freedom to this extent, though again I am not suggesting you should come up with a complete solution. CBOs do seem poo poo though.

fuctifino posted:

They're saying the quiet bit out loud again

https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1661697517296185346

sigh...

Clicked on this and was glad to see people calling him a oval office and saying it's good that we pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Er, what? Sorry?

Aren't they supposed to be rather ideologically opposed?

Under the bad old days of Labour, maybe, but this is Keith Stürmer's Labour and they are passionate about having a broad church. A broad church consisting of racists, fascists and just cunts in general.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lt. Danger posted:

personally I would prefer people not enter my home uninvited

Wait, was the Downing Street car guy maybe filming a Tik Tok for clout? I think we should be told.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Er, what? Sorry?

‘Supposed to be’, maybe, but in practice? This is a day after Starmer spent Prime Ministers Questions asking why we were letting so many foreigners into the country.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a trend with his person though.
The guy has videos of himself regular threatening and scaring people, assaulting some orthodox Jews, stealing a dog, entering homes, jumping on cars, stripping to his underwear in shops and harrasing staff. This prank isn't his first.

I understand the concern over CBOs but what exactly is the answer to this kind of behaviour?

he's lost for a good hiding, op

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mega Comrade posted:

It's a trend with his person though.
The guy has videos of himself regular threatening and scaring people, assaulting some orthodox Jews, stealing a dog, entering homes, jumping on cars, stripping to his underwear in shops and harrasing staff. This prank isn't his first.

I understand the concern over CBOs but what exactly is the answer to this kind of behaviour?

Isn't it just basic sentencing guidelines? Like you shoplift some earrings from Claire's Accessories, you might get a more lenient sentence if you say you learned your lesson and you'll never do it again. Next time you do it, you don't have the "first offense" excuse and you get a harsher punishment.

All these "the police need more powers to deal with scary new threat" stories always feel like the police always have plenty of powers to deal with the "new threat" because the "new threat" isn't all that new. They're just an excuse to allow the police to harrass people they don't like with even less oversight than before.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gort posted:

Isn't it just basic sentencing guidelines? Like you shoplift some earrings from Claire's Accessories, you might get a more lenient sentence if you say you learned your lesson and you'll never do it again. Next time you do it, you don't have the "first offense" excuse and you get a harsher punishment.

The difference there is you’ve nicked something, which is inarguably breaking the law.

Being an obnoxious oval office for social media likes in and of itself isn’t breaking the law, so there’s not really a ‘sentencing guideline’ for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When it comes to things like civil trespass through an open door, or one off 'bants' behaviour towards several different women on the street, there's not much that they can do that wouldn't fall apart instantly. When that becomes enough of a pattern of behaviour to constitute abuse of the community, you can either criminalize the individual behaviour (i.e. pass legislation banning everyone from doing it) or individualize the criminal behaviour (i.e. make it a matter of law for that person not to do it again).

Either are open to abuse of power in similar structural ways, because it's the same group of notably biased people enforcing it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Get yer tickets now

https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/1661824020885413892?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that she plans more than two weeks ahead.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I know I'm on a hiding to nothing with it being tiktok, but shouldn't the company be banning anyone making videos harassing other people? Seems like that'd be against any social media's TOS

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CarlEveCrime/status/1661661973048688640

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I watched this video - am I right it's just orange powder (powder paint I assume) so will blow off?

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1661671804014936066?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like turmeric powder, which is actually good in some gardening uses as a mild antimicrobial.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...4b0c8e3fc76a424

The Rose Network. FFS.

quote:

Yvette Cooper and David Lammy will spearhead the Labour Party’s drive to attract more private donors, HuffPost UK can reveal.

The shadow home secretary and shadow foreign secretary will become the new co-chairs of the so-called Rose Network, the fundraising alliance set up under New Labour.

The move comes as the party gears up its efforts to build a war chest for the next general election.

Labour says it has seen 350 new members join the Rose Network in the last year, in a sign of its growing influence.

Cooper and Lammy will replace current co-chairs Rosena Allin-Khan and Anneliese Dodds, who will focus on her role leading the party’s national policy forum.

Emily Thornberry, the shadow attorney general, will also continue in her role as a co-chair of the Rose Network.

A Labour source said: “The fact that two of the most senior members of the shadow cabinet, David and Yvette, are taking this role shows just how seriously the party is taking closing the traditional funding gap with the Tories ahead of the next general election.”

etc

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like turmeric powder, which is actually good in some gardening uses as a mild antimicrobial.

In that quantity (and it's the same they used at that snooker match isn't it?) I assumed it would be buckets of kiddies' powder paints suitable for use in schools.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember those orange powder paints used to be made of tartrazine and azorubine, but then there was the big moral panic about kids turning into hyperactive demons and getting infinite cancer. I'm not sure what the new ones are but the closest plant dyes are turmeric and saffron, and if anyone was going to pay extra for dyes not made out of petrochemicals it'd probably be those types.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Found! The Woke Blob

https://twitter.com/AKBrews/status/1661868882162745350?s=20

Apparently it's a "humphead wrasse" for the inquiring minds that want to know.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That diver's an absolute dick to that fish. No one is ever that interested in the boring poo poo I do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

cat botherer posted:

That diver's an absolute dick to that fish. No one is ever that interested in the boring poo poo I do.

I thought he was cracking open the oyster or whatever it is to give it to the fish?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Found! The Woke Blob

https://twitter.com/AKBrews/status/1661868882162745350?s=20

Apparently it's a "humphead wrasse" for the inquiring minds that want to know.

When I was 12 my parents took me on holiday to Egypt and I did my first scuba diving outside Britain.

My dad had been winding me up with talk of stingrays and sharks and all the other interesting and lethal fish out there- being an anxious child I was therefore pretty damned nervous the first time I stepped off the boat.

I was bobbing in the water waiting for everyone else to join me when I felt a tugging on my fin and looked down.

There was one of these ugly fuckers tugging on it. It was absolutely bloody massive and apparently was regularly fed eggs by divers, so had come to me on the beg. I jumped out of my skin, but chilled out once this was explained. The big guy hung out with us the entire dive- it was really cool.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nilbop posted:

Er, what? Sorry?

Starmer's Labour is extremely ideologically opposed to the Tories, UKIP and Reform UK

because Starmer and his crew think the Tories, UKIP and Reform UK aren't right-wing enough

fizzy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 26, 2023

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wolfechu posted:

I know I'm on a hiding to nothing with it being tiktok, but shouldn't the company be banning anyone making videos harassing other people? Seems like that'd be against any social media's TOS

Social media companies gotta define bad stuff before they can ban it: how could you write a rule for a human or machine content moderator to apply based on “being a prick in a way that’s juuust short of being directly criminal”? They can and maybe will act once the news picks it up but until then it seems like it would get lost in the tide of content.

Relatedly, I think “content moderator for Facebook/TikTok/social media” has got to be one of the toughest jobs out there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1661965038175789056?s=20

Rule Britannia.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems like they had a very long notice to evacuate if possible . But I appreciate JA's earlier post about how difficult it can be to actually get to an embassy/airport in time. And obviously people have unknowable commitments to their homes regardless of what passports they hold.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Beefeater1980 posted:

Relatedly, I think “content moderator for Facebook/TikTok/social media” has got to be one of the toughest jobs out there.

It's an excellent way to develop PTSD while earning near-minimum wage

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18229714/cognizant-facebook-content-moderator-interviews-trauma-working-conditions-arizona

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/19/18681845/facebook-moderator-interviews-video-trauma-ptsd-cognizant-tampa

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 26, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like they had a very long notice to evacuate if possible . But I appreciate JA's earlier post about how difficult it can be to actually get to an embassy/airport in time. And obviously people have unknowable commitments to their homes regardless of what passports they hold.

Through a literal warzone. We're not talking about rush-hour traffic here, Sudan is on the verge of civil war & at the time the fighting was worst in Khartoum. The Embassy couldn't have offered to let them on the bus that they used to evacuate their staff? It's pisspoor

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

New NatC manifesto just dropped

https://twitter.com/zygradel/status/1661630833315176448?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sounds like they'd do more good giving out free copies of power wash simulator

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

kecske posted:

on the specific individual level you wont get a better cost/effort result than a good old fashioned punch in the face

Is it one of those cases where singing Let It Go loudly will bring Disney lawyers down on them if they try to post/monetise it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I watched this video - am I right it's just orange powder (powder paint I assume) so will blow off?

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1661671804014936066?s=20

Yeah, just washes off.

love the guy "and how did you get here today?"

Love a good "you should improve society" meme in real life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"If we want to bring common sense back" is doing a lot of presumption. Especially since it's followed by a bunch of impassioned rhetoric against imaginary enemies that demonstrates exactly why it's not ideal to trust things to some imagined 'common sense'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

Exactly. It can be so hard for people who have never experienced this to begin to understand the difficulties in actually reaching evacuation points if you don't live pretty much adjacent the airport. I said to my family at the time "If the British govt care about me that much they can send a helicopter to my garden" because the likelihood of me being able to actually get to the airport to meet an evacuation flight was approaching nil. And that was living the approx distance of Walthamstow to Heathrow from the airport.

You're totally reliant on local people willing to put themselves into potentially very dangerous situations (at extremely high cost when you may not actually be able to get any money to pay them) with loyalties you don't know, to help you out. And given we have now all seen just how much the British govt has no interest in helping locals who have put themselves in danger to assist the Brits (whether or not you agree with what the Brits were doing out there), any help is likely to be far less forthcoming in future.

(Meandering aside: I've kinda just realized that every time anyone pushes my 'revolution' button, I write screeds of stuff - deleted before posting as I've said it all before - or bang on for ages (if in the pub) so even though I don't think I was overly affected by the events of 2011-2013, because it was relatively clean as these things go, I obviously was more affected that I realized. I seem to have a need to keep talking about it. Hm. Maybe a little insight on my part into understanding trauma / PTSD.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 26, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Telegraph are trying to make 'Woke Blob' a thing and I am so stoked for it:

It really is amazing how consistently, spectacularly wrong about everything Allister Heath is all the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The chad woke blob and the virgin bloke :wom:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Skios posted:

It really is amazing how consistently, spectacularly wrong about everything Allister Heath is all the time.

Well, technically Kwarteng's budget really did transform Britain. Just not in the way he thought it would.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Absolute psycho poo poo in the replies, christ.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Noxville posted:

Absolute psycho poo poo in the replies, christ.

And you know that all the people saying "they shouldn't have chosen to live abroad then" are the same cunts who are demanding that all the Sudanese refugees should be shipped back immediately.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Camrath posted:

When I was 12 my parents took me on holiday to Egypt and I did my first scuba diving outside Britain.

My dad had been winding me up with talk of stingrays and sharks and all the other interesting and lethal fish out there- being an anxious child I was therefore pretty damned nervous the first time I stepped off the boat.

I was bobbing in the water waiting for everyone else to join me when I felt a tugging on my fin and looked down.

There was one of these ugly fuckers tugging on it. It was absolutely bloody massive and apparently was regularly fed eggs by divers, so had come to me on the beg. I jumped out of my skin, but chilled out once this was explained. The big guy hung out with us the entire dive- it was really cool.

are you allowed to like Napoleons as a Brit?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Payndz posted:

Well, technically Kwarteng's budget really did transform Britain. Just not in the way he thought it would.

There's a villain in the IDW Transformers comics who has the power to force other bots to transform while simultaneously making them forget how to, so they turn themselves inside-out. That's Kwasi's budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

And you know that all the people saying "they shouldn't have chosen to live abroad then" are the same cunts who are demanding that all the Sudanese refugees should be shipped back immediately.

Is there a contradiction there though? They want (white) Britons to exclusively live in the relatively secure misery of Britane, and everyone else can gently caress Off.

Having a holiday home in the Algarve is some kind of psychic blindspot they haven't quite squared away yet