Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

"Analysts measured fan attendance numbers, the amount of online search traffic for each team, the number of YouTube subscribers and the average social media following to come up with an overall popularity score."

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

yeah, at least locally I’d say. Avs often have higher attendance and the higher ranking in that article seems to be because the Nuggets have the higher social media followers (which aren’t all locals). it does obviously depend on how the teams are doing but growing up the Nuggets were always pretty invisible except for the Melo years

guess we’ll just have to see which one of the Avs’ or the Nuggets’ parade in a few weeks is bigger to settle it

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Jokic ascending to whatever impossible level awaits after winning 2 MVPs already + Murray casually dropping 30+ on 50/40/90 shooting is not compelling. Got it.

Will Lebron play with his son though?! Find out after the NBA Finals! Apologies for showing you the entires series first, but we’re contractually obligated.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

feller posted:

"Analysts measured fan attendance numbers, the amount of online search traffic for each team, the number of YouTube subscribers and the average social media following to come up with an overall popularity score."

lol

What’s your metrics than buddy

Bard Maddox posted:

yeah, at least locally I’d say. Avs often have higher attendance and the higher ranking in that article seems to be because the Nuggets have the higher social media followers (which aren’t all locals). it does obviously depend on how the teams are doing but growing up the Nuggets were always pretty invisible except for the Melo years

guess we’ll just have to see which one of the Avs’ or the Nuggets’ parade in a few weeks is bigger to settle it

See you and another person are saying this but I lived in CO for ten years and never even met an avs fan or someone who went to a game because hockey is for tools

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My impression is that all of the Denver teams are basically just Denver teams except for the Broncos who are the chosen standard-bearer of the entire Mountain West

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

i am a moron posted:

See you and another person are saying this but I lived in CO for ten years and never even met an avs fan or someone who went to a game because hockey is for tools

Lately? AVs have been way more popular recently. Not Broncos level but you go out in Denver or Boulder, even in the summer, you see a lot of Avs gear.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the, uh, avalanche have been eliminated from the postseason,

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
maybe if I had fun watching the nuggets I would agree that they’re being Unfairly Maligned by the Media. alas and alack, I snooze on them

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This is Mike Malone using the media to hype up their guys, its a psyop. Don’t believe his lies.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it's too late I'm already in

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Did we get this level of griping with Milwaukee/Phoenix?

Mildly, but Giannis is one of the league's most popular players and Phoenix is a huge market, plus Chris Paul's quest for a ring was a huge narrative.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There is still a nonzero chance Miami runs out of bodies and Boston comes back

:negative:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

Only a little, because the fact that we were getting NBA Finals games in front of full crowds again meant a lot regardless of the venue. Plus there was Paul and Giannis. I'd expect the narrative will shift more to Jokic vs. Butler if the Heat close.

Or Boston could be the first to get 0-3 comebacks in 2 sports, and we get a million lazy team/city of destiny pieces.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Man Lowry really needs to step up tonight or there will be some tight sphincters in Miami for game 6

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It’s gonna be strus night

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I mean there's a whole lot of reasons why the Nuggets don't get national media stuff and that's because a lot of people don't give a poo poo about them for whatever reason.

And yeah they've been dominant in the postseason but this was a 53 win team. It's not like this is a Warriors situation where the team is so good you *have* to talk about them.

I do think it's very silly that a bunch of analysts are *surprised* by how good Jokic is, but I'm not surprised about how little a lot of people care about them

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bip Roberts posted:

No, but it's really funny that it is, because Denver was definitely one better covered teams this year, when you go a layer down from the First Take Skip Bayless level of dead basic coverage. You don't normally get put on TV more than the Knicks and get an practically an hour a week on two ESPN podcasts about your superstar and his MVP case and then claim to be undercovered but here we are. I don't think it's a bad thing though if it causes people to take more stock in the coverage, because even I find it tiresome.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
There also was some griping from reporters talking about how they didn't want to go to Milwaukee

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Media coverage is lame as hell, fandom is measured in heart and grit and how much you rock your classic rainbow skyline tshirt/hat

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

slave to my cravings posted:

It’s gonna be strus night

More Robinson too I assume?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Look at this poo poo and tell me it isn’t the greatest. You can’t. And if you do you’re a liar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

i am a moron posted:

Look at this poo poo and tell me it isn’t the greatest. You can’t. And if you do you’re a liar

It's really good.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

i am a moron posted:

yeah and i'm rooting against them until they bring back this logo full time

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Nuggest are cool and good. Jokic is grudgingly acknowledged to be a superstar, Jamal Murray is grossly underappreciated, and Mike Malone is also underappreciated as a coach. Unfortunately, the fans of teams like the Nuggets have to understand that they are not being disrespected by this lack of attention, at least not any more than 25 or so other teams.

The NBA hype machine has always focused on the same few teams: the three automatics: Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, plus a couple more that change. Never more than 5 at a time, and sometimes only 4.

To get into that rotation, a team outside the three automatics has to 1) be particularly good for a while, and 2) have a unique image/character or superstar.

The Bad Boy Pistons had a few years in the rotation. They were really good and they were the best heels the NBA ever had. But they quickly dropped back out.
The Bulls 1990s dynasty and MJ's transcendence put them into the rotation, but soon after he retired they were back out of it.
The Heatles under Lebron were in there, but only for the 4 years they were a superteam. They weren't in it before, even when Wade got them their first ring.
Cleveland was in it when Lebron returned there, but immediately dropped out when he left for the Lakers.
The Warriors have been in there for a while now but it is pretty much guaranteed that they will fall right back into the 25 team pack the day Curry retires.

In contrast, the Spurs were incredibly successful for decades but winning isn't enough. They were too business-like, too efficient, not flashy. They were always on the edge of the hype rotation. Basketball people appreciated them, but they didn't get the day to day, year to year national media attention they deserved. Houston has had great teams but never fully broke in to the hype rotation. Same with the Sixers, the Mavs, etc. I would argue that the Bucks aren't even in it right now. It's just the fickle nature of the hype machine. Nuggets fans resent it, Phoenix fans resented it last year, but it isn't going to change.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mine plays American Idiot era Green Day.

Listening to the straight-up oldies station on my way home from work today and Collective Soul came on.

toggle posted:

This is Mike Malone using the media to hype up their guys, its a psyop. Don’t believe his lies.

I hope the Nuggets roll off at least a back-to-back Championships just so all these whiny media babies have to suck it. The only reason I hope they don't three-peat is because 2024-25 is the Pacers year. Former ABA teams will dominate the next decade and force the NBA to bring back the red, white & blue ball to pay proper homage. I am speaking it into being.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

nachos posted:

Man Lowry really needs to step up tonight or there will be some tight sphincters in Miami for game 6

when your playoff chances hinge on kyle lowry its time to get ready for the next game

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

i am a moron posted:

It looks like the background of a 1978 Atari side scroller game

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

God if the Celtics pull a 3-0 comeback in the semifinals round like the Red Sox did 19 years ago humanity will be destroyed by climate change and nuclear hellfire before we ever hear the end of it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

predicto posted:

It looks like the background of a 1978 Atari side scroller game

Yea it’s cool af

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ragnarok the Red posted:

God if the Celtics pull a 3-0 comeback in the semifinals round like the Red Sox did 19 years ago humanity will be destroyed by climate change and nuclear hellfire before we ever hear the end of it.

Man if they win tonight and lose game 6 you still won’t hear the end of it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ghost Dog posted:

when your playoff chances hinge on kyle lowry its time to get ready for the next game

I will not stand for this.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Hand Knit posted:

Neither will Kyle Lowry :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rick posted:

It's really good.

:respek:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For Boston to win it will have to go to 7 games right? And Miami would have to lose 4 in a row. Not sure that will happen.

And then how much of a break would be between game 7 and finals game 1? I think the basketball gods are trying to wear everyone out to make sure Denver takes it. Sometimes things just line up perfectly for you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

predicto posted:

In contrast, the Spurs were incredibly successful for decades but winning isn't enough. They were too business-like, too efficient, not flashy. They were always on the edge of the hype rotation. Basketball people appreciated them, but they didn't get the day to day, year to year national media attention they deserved. Houston has had great teams but never fully broke in to the hype rotation. Same with the Sixers, the Mavs, etc. I would argue that the Bucks aren't even in it right now. It's just the fickle nature of the hype machine. Nuggets fans resent it, Phoenix fans resented it last year, but it isn't going to change.

The Spurs not having a true "dynasty" era probably affected their coverage to some extent too. They were the team that would win after some other iconic team's run ended ('99 after the Bulls were over, '03 after Shaq/Kobe threepeat), take one in a more parity-heavy time for the league ('05/'07), or lastly they were the team that ended a dynasty themselves after a drought of several years ('14).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
well lose 3 in a row now

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I am surrounded by Celtics fans and do not want to relive this again like I had to in 2004

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spurs were on TV all the drat time. They were an ABC fixture and when Tony Parker started dating Eva Longoria ABC execs went herogasm

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

We know he’s built for Game 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Not getting my hopes up but this playoffs has been very weird and a semifinals with a sweep and a reverse sweep would feel pretty on brand.