Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

so what is he actually doing?

Whatever it is he's doing, it's certainly none of his flatmate's loving business, and she shouldn't be listening to it like an intrusive weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m assuming he picked the spot because she would have suggested this place:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Me and my girlfriends first date was at the sperm donor clinic and all she ordered was a cup of mayonnaise.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

if somebody orders milk for the table but you don't drink any, are you still obligated to pay for it on the split bill?

A good question, and furthermore, how much should you tip in each case?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If I was seeing a guy and he ordered milk at a bar I'd probably be interested to hear why because it's not exactly a standard drink.

I wouldn't be surprised though if that was just one reason out of a bunch that the guy could've listed for not wanting to date her. Maybe she was being too "twee" or they didn't mesh in other ways and that was just what was on his mind when he told OP about it. Maybe the OP badgered him into setting him up on this blind date and he wasn't all that interested in the first place. The milk thing is just sort of weird overall, so honestly if he was bothered by it, it's better that he doesn't date her because he'll just be annoyed by it later on!

Anyways,
AITA for standing up during a Beyoncé concert?

quote:

So I’m a huge Beyoncé fan and have been my whole life, especially being a Houston, Tx native. This was my first time being able to afford a ticket to her show and I’m currently living back and forth between Sweden and the states.

I’ve never been to a concert in Sweden and I was very shocked by how unlively the crowd was. No dancing or singing really from most people in my section (closest non GA to the stage) but I was out of my seat, singing and having a blast as soon as the show started and a woman and her partner behind me asked me if I could sit down so they could be able see.

I assumed since she was starting the show with ballads I was doing a bit much and apologized and sat. But once the energy picked back up I was back up on my feet dancing. There were like two other people on my row doing the same. I honestly had the time of my life and even cried a bit, ridiculous I know.

When the show was over and I turned to leave the lady said “You’re not the only one who paid for this you know? Is that how they act in your village?” And I was too stunned to say anything back.

I could understand if this were an orchestra concert or something, but her latest album is focused on house music and the ballroom scene which is VERY lively.

This happened weeks back but I can’t even enjoy my memories of the experience because I keep getting this pit in my stomach feeling like I ruined someone else’s experience.

AITA?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Lots of people with gastrointestinal issues like ulcers will drink milk to help.

It's also good if you have gout. (I especially recommend soy milk if you have gout!)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh no! Someone is having a blast at a Beyonce concert! THIS WILL NOT STAND!

Seriously, what the poo poo?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Clocks posted:

Lol Swedish hospitality gets another one

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Seems as though I was incorrect about the ulcer/milk thing, my apologies mouse friend.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i had a glass of milk just now, to wash down a peanut butter sandwich! it was p good

i was just at home tho, it wasn't at the bar or anything

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:siren: Do not actually regularly drink soy milk if you have gout :siren:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Clocks posted:

Anyways,

"Sweden, Sweden has a problem"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

r/relationships: Is that how they act in your village?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

haveblue posted:

Not saying this is what happened here, but it's possible for morning sickness to get so bad you're in real danger and need to be hospitalized. It's not necessarily "just" discomfort and inconvenience

I feel like that if this op had hyperemisis, they would most definitely have mentioned it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can't stand people singing along at a concert. I came to hear them, not you! But I've recognized it's me who is out of step, so I just stopped going to concerts, for the most part.

Maybe I should consider moving to Sweden.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're not on a dance floor, maybe don't dance. It's not exactly rocket scienceuhh haystack engineering? IDK I'm not a villain.

odiv posted:

I can't stand people singing along at a concert. I came to hear them, not you! But I've recognized it's me who is out of step, so I just stopped going to concerts, for the most part.

Maybe I should consider moving to Sweden.

Be very careful you don't end up on the wrong side of the Gulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SrIggv_Jbo

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 25, 2023

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Clocks posted:

Anyways,

AceClown posted:

r/relationships: Is that how they act in your village?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

All rock concerts should be like Laibach in North Korea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQORt5Y7Eqo

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lots of people with gastrointestinal issues like ulcers will drink milk to help.

I was having a Crohn's flare when I went on the first date with my now wife so I couldn't order anything with alcohol but I probably would have ordered a glass of milk if I had seen it on the menu and now I am worried I am an insane person

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Ask a Manager: [b]my employee has to deal with men constantly getting crushes on her[/quote]

quote:

A reader writes:

quote:

I’m a woman who owns a very small company and rent time/space in a shared environment with many other small business owners.

We are all there whenever we are — first come, first served. Open space, open territory, sometimes sharing space. The only person I oversee is my employee, I have no authority over anyone else.

My employee is amazing! She truly makes work a joy and is really helping my business.

The problem is the other renters/companies. My employee is very beautiful. Several men from the other companies have developed crushes on her. They aren’t crossing the line with inappropriate behavior or comments. They’re just too persistently goofy. Really. She lets them know she has a boyfriend or that she’s busy/not interested, but it takes a day or two for the message to get through. They sort of dance around the situation because of the goofy crush and they know she’s not interested or available. They just make up excuses to be around her. And she’s uncomfortable with it. It does go away since they are all good people.

And, they are truly not being gross — just too uncomfortably goofy. It’s like having Giselle or George Clooney or Beyonce working with you … really just goofy momentary crush stuff that I’d like to help my employee navigate.

Is there just a way to cut this off more quickly?

First and foremost: Ask her what would be most helpful to her. Give her some options, too, because she might not know what she could reasonably ask for. For example, you could offer to interrupt the conversations yourself, speak to people privately to tell them to stop, speak to their companies, make sure she knows she can tell people to leave her work area because she’s busy, experiment with whether wearing headphones cut down on the interruptions, maybe even try a sign that says “on deadline / please don’t interrupt” … See what she’d like, because she should have as much agency as possible here.

Some people in her situation will discourage you from doing anything, because they’ll feel awkward asking for/accepting help or will worry they’re making too big deal of it (especially if she’s been dealing with her whole life, which she probably has). If you sense that’s going on here, you could say, “My sense is you don’t want to make a big deal out of it, but it’s really important to me that your work environment is comfortable for you. You deserve to be able to focus like anyone else. If nothing else, how about I make a point of cutting in with work topics when I see it happening?”

you can imagine the comments but this one was good:

quote:

The amount of hit dogs hollering in the comments pretending that “romantic interest” isn’t “sexual interest” has me slowly losing faith in humanity.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

Ask a Manager: my employee has to deal with men constantly getting crushes on her

you can imagine the comments but this one was good:

i really hate the OP with how many times they used the word fuckin "goofy"

it is not goofy if she is obviously uncomfortable you loving rear end in a top hat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"If they don't stop saying 'gawrsh' and 'a-hyuck' I'll resign!"
"Hehe."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here is a good example of a kid who has bad vibes and is just unpleasant to be around:

AITA for telling a pushy neighborhood kid to back off

quote:

We recently moved to a new area and I really want my kids to find some friends. There is an 8 year old girl across the street who likes to play with my 9 year old son and my 7 year old daughter.She does not like my 3 year old son.

Sometimes I let this girl come over and play with my kids and she has been a bit rude. She goes in my fridge without asking, rummages through rooms in my house. She's said things about my 3 year old to both my husband and me like "I wish (3 year old) was never born so I could play with (7 and 9 year old) alone." When I joked with my kids about being the meanest mom ever she chimed in with this bragging tone " my mom is really nice. She gets me everything I want." I've been letting it go because my kids have had a rough time and I just really want them to be happy in our new area.

We recently started teaching our older kids how to ride bikes. We've got a late start due to unfortunate circumstances in the past and they were still in training wheels. When my husband took them out on Sunday she was constantly harassing him about them having training wheels. He calmly explained we just got a later start. It was so bad they all just went inside. I took them out again on Tuesday and she got on my case about the same thing. I kept saying the same thing my husband did. Eventually this girl comes at me "hey miss Disarm33, I am only 8 years old and I already know how to ride my bike." in that same bragging voice. I firmly stated, without yelling, "that's good for you but we haven't gotten that point yet."

Apparently she didn't like that and went crying to mommy. Her mom texted me asking what happened and I told her how her daughter was being pushy and I had to get firm with her to back off a bit. The mom explained that "she's just a curious 8 year old, but we'll talk about how people come from different backgrounds." I was satisfied and thought it was settled. However the next day at the bus stop, I got the cold shoulder. I tried to initiate conversation and say sorry about the misunderstanding. She cut me off "she's 8 Disarm33 not 40, she doesn't know any better. You apologize to her yourself!" I said I didn't do anything wrong and it would be nice if (8 year old) would understand some boundaries. I told her the things her daughter has said about my youngest. "She would never say that, that's a disgusting thing to say." I told her I have no reason to make something like that up and that she's said similar things to my husband. She said she didn't believe me because I never brought it up before. I said I didn't think much of it the first few times and didn't want to push my kids' friend away. She told me she had a meeting to go to and walked away.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Milk is fuckin yummy, who cares, drink that poo poo up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There are few statements more bullshit than “My child would never say/do that”

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Farg posted:

her not being hungry at trivia night was a major red flag?

Showing up at a gastropub with no intent to eat or drink anything is a little weird. Asking for a random piece of fruit as your first choice is even weirder. There were other little eccentricities not worth bringing up, but there was also no romantic spark. If I was into her and she was otherwise normal I'd get past it but "Barkeep, one apple please" it's the part of the scenario I remember most.

My friend who ran the event asked me if it was okay to pair her with me to do the puzzles, and I agreed. I have no idea if it was supposed to be a romantic setup or whatever. There was also a thing on the event page that roughly went "if you're going to show up for these free events please order something AND tip because we don't pay the venue and them indulging us taking up like 50 seats is based on them getting customers for the night". I forget if they started putting that there before or after this, and I'm not sure which is funnier.

Anyway, you should see if there's a Puzzled Pint that runs near you, they're loads of fun, but only go if you're going to order something they're willing to sell you. :pranke:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

There are few statements more bullshit than “My child would never say/do that”

OP didn't let her finish, she meant to add "within earshot or to your face"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Barudak posted:

This is just a mild tweak on the woman who has a physics degree whose father in law and brother in law wont stop telling her their theory of physics is right and shes wrong.

I think i saw the retried engineer version in an earlier thread, before the OP physicist version. And if that's not the case, it's the Berenstein Bears' fault.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ominous Jazz posted:

between milk and steak i don't think this thread is mature enough to handle cows

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Why would you assume the worst if someone orders a glass of milk? And what exactly is the worst in that situation?

The milk is from the creature they keep chained in the basement?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

that's where you soak it in milk first, right? i hear that doing that makes liver more edible for ppl who don't like liver, though i'm not sure why you would bother. just don't have liver if you don't like it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling my parents I am willing to sell them my forgiveness?

quote:

My parents expected me to be independent the minute I turned 18. They gave me the money they had saved up for my education and they started charging me rent.

I was lucky enough to have a partial scholarship and I found a job in the city my university was in so I moved there before the school year began.

With my parents money, my scholarship, and my wages I was able to scrape by.

I rarely if ever spoke with my parents. I was kind of busy.

I guess they decided that they didn't want that kind of relationship with my younger siblings because they were not presented with the same option. They both lived at home all through university and even afterwards.

I am 34 now with a decent job and a great girlfriend whom I will be marrying this summer.

I sent my parents and siblings an invitation. They called me to ask why they were not involved in the wedding.

I responded that they hadn't really been part of my life in 16 years and that I was being nice by inviting them.

They said that they acknowledged that they made mistakes when I was young bet that it was in the past and that I should get over it.

Against my fiancee's advice I sent them an itemized bill for everything I paid for myself that they freely gave my brother and sister. I said if they wanted to be a part of my life they had to ante up.

They said that they cannot afford that because they are in debt still from helping my siblings out. I laughed at that and said I hoped that I would see them at the wedding and hung up.

My family are all getting ahold of me to let me know how much I'm hurting my parents.

The thing is that I don't want their money. And I don't want anything from them at all other than their attendance at my wedding. If they can't do that then I'm fine with our yearly phone call.

AITA?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

kdrudy posted:

I don't know, ordering that at a bar makes me think either you're a George McFly type wiener or maybe a wannabe manic pixie dream girl type.

No matter what, you can choose to not continue dating someone for any reason what so ever.

You know who would walk into a bar and order milk? MacGyver

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

When I saw how many new posts since yesterday I knew there must be some kind of juicy derail, but I wouldn't have guessed the twin powers of Steak & Milk.

I'm on the ordering milk at a bar is weird side. Maybe not red flag weird, but more like orange.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Why would you assume the worst if someone orders a glass of milk? And what exactly is the worst in that situation?

This is the last I'll post about it, but most people would assume the worst because it's not a situation where it's normal to order milk. Some people order it with hot wings because they think it helps with the pain, some with breakfast/brunch, some with more casual or family-style dinners. That is normal. Ordering it at a fancy bar on a first date is not normal.

Best? case scenario: manic pixie dream person
Worst: picky/immature eater
Possible but unlikely: into the "adult baby" scene

I don't think many itt would have a problem if the coworker said, "I'm not interested in a second date with someone who ordered chicken nuggets and ketchup at the Michelin star restaurant" or deny it's a red flag, so not sure why cocktail bar milk orderer is unworthy of ridicule.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

run on sentience posted:

You could be on to something here. Maybe ordering milk at the bar is the "sign" to others that you're into the scene. If all goes well the happy couple is picking out diapers at Walgreens later that evening.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Isn’t the best case scenario just “likes milk, got over their fear of cringe a decade ago”?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

run on sentience posted:

This is the last I'll post about it, but most people would assume the worst because it's not a situation where it's normal to order milk. Some people order it with hot wings because they think it helps with the pain, some with breakfast/brunch, some with more casual or family-style dinners. That is normal. Ordering it at a fancy bar on a first date is not normal.

Best? case scenario: manic pixie dream person
Worst: picky/immature eater

I don't think many itt would have a problem if the coworker said, "I'm not interested in a second date with someone who ordered chicken nuggets and ketchup at the Michelin star restaurant" or deny it's a red flag, so not sure why cocktail bar milk orderer is unworthy of ridicule.

What if they're trying to be sober and they don't like pop/soda?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I didn't think that post would lead to a big detail and the statement only manic pixie dream girls like milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Is this the last you’ll post because you don’t want to defend something so loving stupid?