Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

the popes toes posted:

Given that they've held their positions since their mass retreat from territory, I'd not underestimate them to that degree. Deserving of mockery, sure. But not dismissal.

HonorableTB posted:

This is more because Ukraine is getting things sent to them in drips and drops than because the Russians are doing skilled defense

It's this^

Ukraine is stockpiling equipment and weapons en masse, taking time to train an army, while the Russians spent the last loving year trying to take a couple kilometers of rubble for 100,000 dead, which they look like they aren't even going to keep. Now Ukraine has systems that don't even allow the Russians to use their only tactic of Terror Bombing anymore.

It's wildly pathetic beyond words, especially for the supposed "2nd best military in the world".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mederlock posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the US was deciding to forego further hypersonic missile development for the time being because the cost per missile is just not efficient compared to the dozens of tomahawks you can buy for the same price, or something along those lines

it was always a smokescreen all 30 years they totally said that

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

For those who know this stuff, hypersonic missiles are generally seen as a counter to US carriers as an area denial weapon.

Compared to a patriot system, how does a carrier fleet compare with it's AA defenses?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Ringo takes a day drink every time he hears that gag.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

pro starcraft loser posted:

For those who know this stuff, hypersonic missiles are generally seen as a country to US carriers as an area denial weapon.

Compared to a patriot system, how does a carrier fleet compare with it's AA defenses?

my understanding is that a US carrier group has stronger AA capabilities compared to an average Patriot system, which is not to say that a full Patriot installation is weak. I remember hearing something about "AEGIS Ashore" but I don't know if that went anywhere. Either way, SM-2 and SM-6 (the missiles used in carrier group defense afaik) are formidable.

edit: though unlike SM-* the Patriot's PAC-3 does the completely kerbal-rear end method of using small SRBs pointed radially out near the nose to do steering. it's insane and I love it accordingly

tiaz fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 25, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

For those who know this stuff, hypersonic missiles are generally seen as a counter to US carriers as an area denial weapon.

Really loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYxLlK9xwg

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

tiaz posted:

my understanding is that a US carrier group has stronger AA capabilities compared to an average Patriot system, which is not to say that a full Patriot installation is weak. I remember hearing something about "AEGIS Ashore" but I don't know if that went anywhere. Either way, SM-2 and SM-6 (the missiles used in carrier group defense afaik) are formidable.

Mederlock posted:

Really loving good

This is what I assumed. I guess the caveat is that true HS ship killers skim the sea and maneuver to be tough to hit. If I remember correctly, it sounds like the Russian HS weapon is just a really fast missile that still travels in a parabolic path.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What we are now seeing is Ukraine is taking a heavy emphasis on destroying artillery systems in mass as well as dropping planes. These are the last vestiges of the Russian war effort and without those or the confidence in being able to use those this thing is going to fall apart fast. And that partly feels like it's why the US has been pushing Ukraine not to touch assets inside of Russia or invade border regions because they know the regime is so unstable that like Syria if there's any disruption of daily events the entire system will collapse. For a long time advocated for dropping the rail heads in Russia because that would almost immediately end the war and that still rings out to be true.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

This is what I assumed. I guess the caveat is that true HS ship killers skim the sea and maneuver to be tough to hit. If I remember correctly, it sounds like the Russian HS weapon is just a really fast missile that still travels in a parabolic path.

the HS missile the US tested and confirmed is a parabolic arc missile

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tiaz posted:

I remember hearing something about "AEGIS Ashore" but I don't know if that went anywhere.

It's a building with a radar and a VLS cells dug in dirt, it isn't going anywhere by definition :dadjoke:

But few of them were built, one in Romania and one in Poland.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
For those who haven't seen these yet and are curious about these topics, Mr. PowerPoint Man has made some videos covering them. They're by no means the be all end all resource, but they're excellent primers on the topics we've been chatting about.

Hypersonics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3fjoacL20

Missile Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCEzEVwOwS4

Ballistic and Cruise Missile info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F7mt4rNVY0

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 26, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it just too much to ask to see a pancaked SU-57 before the war's end?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Look I just care about people okay. That's why I'm okay with fascists getting everything they want. Uh, Gaddafi had lots of social security programs you guys.

Baba Gaddafis social programs. :peanut:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Looking into it

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I want a downed tu-95

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I want a downed tu-95

gentlemen, let's not fight. we can have both

Gervasius posted:

It's a building with a radar and a VLS cells dug in dirt, it isn't going anywhere by definition :dadjoke:

But few of them were built, one in Romania and one in Poland.

:golfclap:

and cool! thanks, I'll look those up

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

Storkrasch posted:

Linking air forces means Sweden probably has more commitments for its air force, not necessarily less. A big chunk of those 250 planes are Swedish.

I'd be hesitant to rely on NATO fully anyway, it's an organisation that is currently at the whim of at least two authoritarian and anti-western countries. If Russia sizes their operations appropriately, I could see NATO not really bothering. Arguably Nordstream would be an example of such an operation, though I have no proof that Russia did it. Russia could e.g. "accidentally" ram oil tankers outside of Stockholm harbour or something, and I doubt NATO would do much about it, especially if Sweden isn't officially in NATO.

I'd be happy if Sweden gave Ukraine a squadron or two of Gripen, but I can see why they might not.

Have you not paid attention the last year or more?
No one is "scared" of Russia except for Russian shills who still use it as an excuse to appease Vladdy. Complete paper tiger and should be treated as such.

They aint touching Nato countries anytime soon or touching swedish anything, Putin may be crazy but he aint stupid enough to commit national suicide.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Carrier group Aegis networks are very close to actual science fiction in terms of how insanely good it is

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Viller posted:

Have you not paid attention the last year or more?
No one is "scared" of Russia except for Russian shills who still use it as an excuse to appease Vladdy. Complete paper tiger and should be treated as such.

They aint touching Nato countries anytime soon or touching swedish anything, Putin may be crazy but he aint stupid enough to commit national suicide.

I mean, from personal experience, Russia has been launching non-stop cyberattacks against everything Swedish ever since the NATO application. They've been occupying a building in Stockholm since forever. They're jamming GPS in Finland. They're trying to do what they can with what means they have, they just don't have a lot of means. If they grow desperate, they could increase the risk levels of their games in order to appear stronger. It's all on a level of being a nuisance more than anything else, but there's lots of potential for Russia to play games with countries like Sweden.

poor waif fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 26, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Viller posted:

Not Putin, but what questions will the next Tsar ask? Will he ask, "How hard can we push if we had really good kit and a trained army?" Or will he ask, "I wonder how to change Russian elite culture so this doesn't happen again?" Nobody expects the latter. Absolutely nobody.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
is this the biggest military blunder in human history yet

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Not quite but it sure comes close

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1661791035431723009?t=n0kl5um7pOQTqIce9qIAAQ&s=19

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

It's probably in the top five at least. It's no Barbarossa

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

tankies: Yes. This will surely result in the death fracture of NATO. You forget who you are dealing with. It hasn't even started.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

So, my question is if those HS ship killers have actually been tested and proven or if it's basically a mystery as if their capabilities have been grossly exaggerated like a lot of other wunderwaffen.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Deki posted:

So, my question is if those HS ship killers have actually been tested and proven or if it's basically a mystery as if their capabilities have been grossly exaggerated like a lot of other wunderwaffen.

if they were actually hypersonic sea skimmers with maneuvering capability at those speeds, yeah, that would probably be a challenge for existing air defense.

the thing that would make hypersonic weapons interesting is the ability to stay at that speed while maneuvering, like a cruise missile. what we know we have today instead is more conventional ballistic missiles, which use a rocket motor to go into a high parabolic arc. while they do go mach 5+, they don't have much maneuvering capability, and go high into the atmosphere where the air is thin and they can also be spotted from far away.
the hype version of "hypersonic weapons" is more like a cruise missile but that uses a ramjet and can withstand mach 5+ in the lower, thicker parts of the atmosphere. there are significant challenges to solve both in that and the necessary following components of "identify the target through the Interesting conditions experienced at the front of the vehicle currently trying to melt itself by friction heating with the air" and "actually steer onto the target once you have, while avoiding air defense sensors and interceptors".

I don't have top secret access to anyone's poo poo and NB I'm not an expert and have no official relevant qualifications, but afaik the US is the closest to actually achieving the above in a useful (non-ballistic missile) way.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

tiaz posted:

every drink taken from a puddle is one that doesn't have to be bottled and sent from home. it's called patriotism

I'm confused. I thought patriotism is what happens when Russia shoots down it's own aircraft?

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - Wagner forces in Bakhmut are short on ammunition and forced to fight with shovels

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-troops-fight-shovels-ammo-shortage-bakhmut-prigozhin-wagner-rcna73501

Ammunition shortages that may have forced some soldiers to fight using shovels have fueled new Russian infighting and threatened to undermine what could be the Kremlin’s first major victory in months...

The British Ministry of Defense, which posts a daily intelligence briefing to social media, said Sunday that Russian reservist soldiers were ordered to attack a Ukrainian position with "firearms and shovels."

The shovels are likely the same ones used to dig trenches and which have been used on the front line by Russian forces since days of the czars.

"The lethality of the standard-issue MPL-50 entrenching tool is particularly mythologised in Russia," the ministry said. "Little changed since it was designed in 1869, its continued use as a weapon highlights the brutal and low-tech fighting which has come to characterise much of the war."

The ministry added that the increased close-quarter fighting was probably due to a continued focus from Russia's military on deploying soldiers on foot due to a lack of artillery ammunition.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Wagner forces in Bakhmut are short on ammunition and forced to fight with shovels

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-troops-fight-shovels-ammo-shortage-bakhmut-prigozhin-wagner-rcna73501

Ammunition shortages that may have forced some soldiers to fight using shovels have fueled new Russian infighting and threatened to undermine what could be the Kremlin’s first major victory in months...

The British Ministry of Defense, which posts a daily intelligence briefing to social media, said Sunday that Russian reservist soldiers were ordered to attack a Ukrainian position with "firearms and shovels."

The shovels are likely the same ones used to dig trenches and which have been used on the front line by Russian forces since days of the czars.

"The lethality of the standard-issue MPL-50 entrenching tool is particularly mythologised in Russia," the ministry said. "Little changed since it was designed in 1869, its continued use as a weapon highlights the brutal and low-tech fighting which has come to characterise much of the war."

The ministry added that the increased close-quarter fighting was probably due to a continued focus from Russia's military on deploying soldiers on foot due to a lack of artillery ammunition.

Did we have poison gas deployed for a ww1 bingo yet or does the white phosphorus dumped on mauripol qualify?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Roman offering a pretty illuminating vent on the subject of lumping all Russians in as orcs and war criminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6fw5wv09-c

Plus a wild Slavoj Zizek appears at 13:40.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I feel like the only appropriate course of action to being handed a shovel and told to kill the enemy is to kill the person who handed you the shovel and told you to kill the enemy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just lol when your brand-new super-feared hypersonic missile is intercepted by 20-year-old(?) american hardware in its idle automatic mode with a consistent, and 100%, interception rate.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Storm shadow time https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1661840038429179904?t=RF6P5lNG1dGG2IUgqmqSng&s=19

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

second pic is actually from a fire at a penal colony in Tatarstan:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1661852200824451074

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deki posted:

I don't think anyone's actually built one yet. It's all "this could exist" and "we are developing that".

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

fizzy posted:

Nice article from March. Yes, we know that armies fight with shovels as melee weapons all the time blah blah who cares?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fizzy posted:

Kchama posted:

Nice article from March. Yes, we know that armies fight with shovels as melee weapons all the time blah blah who cares?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_5rBUuvhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The americans funneled hot tar into their assholes with a traffic cone.

the russians used a shovel.