Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They are, except when they aren't. Like if you replace her with a person in a wheelchair or a blind woman, it reads sort of plausible, but if you replace her for a freckled dork in glasses, it reads even stronger, I feel.
Like, again, Mookie's defining trait is his myopia. It's part of why he sometimes seems to lack a theory of mind. Whether he knows it or not, he's writing her at times as a nerd because nerds vs jocks is THE ultimate conflict in his mind.

Like think in terms of reductionists. How an angry Reddit atheist may see literally every conflict as somehow being between religion and rationality, or how there are Marxists who would argue every single facet of human behavior is ultimately a matter of economic factors and nothing else is worth considering, etc. For Mookie everything ultimately reduces down, without exception, to jocks vs nerds.

Edit: Hah, great page snipe. But seriously. It's the Rosetta Stone for understanding Mookie's works. Even Legacy sort of makes 'sense' or approaches it when you keep this in mind. Our heroes are all academics, while our villains are a jock and what may as well be a cheerleader in many respects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Frats. And in this case I think it's arguable that runts are less stand-ins for racial outcasts than for nerds or something.
Remember: Mookie. I think Mookie would be the type of person to be like "as a nerd, I know what it was like to be a Black man during Jim Crow." or something. Like he's a self-centered nerd in the worst way who never matured past high school. Metaphors and references all are ultimately tied back to that. Even when Mookie depicts racial conflict, he's ultimately depicting jocks vs nerds.

It's like all his knowledge about how the world works was based on crappy high school and college movies from the past several decades.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

And is Siegfried's ghost in the room with you right now?

Uh, no? I'll just straight up own it. I think the whole thing was gross.

Like, the setup to 'justify' horrific violence against a woman (and murdering women, which is one of Mookie's kinks), Milov excusing Katya nearly beating Jayden to death, the whole 'Milov would have savagely murdered her for any perceived wrong but it's not abusive and he's a great guy for real', the walkback with the illusion. The cherry on top, which is that Jayden is supposed to be a real woman that he dated.

It's just gross. I think it's probably worse than jazzhands, for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh right, Jayden already happened. So I'm guessing we'll next see her when she's Going To Eldariat To Die. Where she promptly doesn't die.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah Mookie is vocally mad about AI art, he once called out some RPG source book art he thought might be AI generated until one of the devs stepped in and told him it wasn't.

Besides, we'd be able to tell if he had AI do his artwork because then it might actually look competent.

Remember when someone asked one of those art generators to come up with art in the style of Mookie, with the caveat that it should be good, and it ended up showing pictures of NASCAR?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
While drowned out by the boobs, I would also like to point attention to the part where Racist Boobwolf accidentally screams about loving Nimmel and doesn't notice until he points it out. It's just the perfect finish for the whole "nerd college power revenge fantasy" this entire chapter is. Having gotten his revenge against the evil jocks and proven the strength he gained from studying the blade, our hero finally defeats the mean girl by using his wits. Sadly, Mookie is a bit short on those, so all he can think of is "What if she said something dirty and didn't notice?".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Oh right, Jayden already happened. So I'm guessing we'll next see her when she's Going To Eldariat To Die. Where she promptly doesn't die.
Excuse me, when she's going to The Desert Of Edlariat To Die.

Cloacamazing! posted:

While drowned out by the boobs, I would also like to point attention to the part where Racist Boobwolf accidentally screams about loving Nimmel and doesn't notice until he points it out. It's just the perfect finish for the whole "nerd college power revenge fantasy" this entire chapter is. Having gotten his revenge against the evil jocks and proven the strength he gained from studying the blade, our hero finally defeats the mean girl by using his wits. Sadly, Mookie is a bit short on those, so all he can think of is "What if she said something dirty and didn't notice?".
Her doing that only makes sense if that's not an idiom for loving in Werewolf Land and then she shouldn't be, like, revenge embarrassed whatever when he points out that, in a different country, it means something else, just disgusted.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
INTERLUDE: THE BEAST, Part 2

We begin with Miranda loving with the panel layout. Ordinarily I'd praise this sort of experimentation but A Nimmel House left a bad taste in my mouth.

Naturally, Miranda was taught by an ancient and powerful squid from another dimension, because she's a Deegan and the Deegans are special.

What pun? He said "pupil" and it's a pun because he has a huge eyeball? That's a stretch, even for this comic.

That's the end of the interlude. So far we've learned:
1. The Beast is possibly from Elemecca

great job, A+ work

Next time: FACEBATH

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Elemecca could be a clever pun, but only if Mookie was bold enough to link elements of Islamic or pre-Islamic theology into his generally poorly thought-out world. Instead it's once again just a pun with nothing else behind it.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

What pun? He said "pupil" and it's a pun because he has a huge eyeball? That's a stretch, even for this comic.

he's also shaped a bit like a star.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Did anyone at the time notice that one background detail or did Mookie manage to successfully foreshadow something without pointing a neon sign at it?

More importantly how close are we to being reunited with ball made of smaller balls?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think the star pun might also be because a five-pointed star is the smallest number of points where it's considered a star (and she's his fifth circle student)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It might also be because 'pupil' can also refer to the black dot in the center of your eye, and Starfish's 'face' is just one eyeball. It could also be any combination of our theories.

On the one hand, this is actually a pretty accomplished joke: there are at least three different interpretations and layers to how to receive it. On the other, comedy is 5% setup and 95% delivery, and the fact that we're not certain what the punchline is really squanders its potential. Like most things Mookie's written, a stronger delivery would have done wonders for this one product, but that'd require a bit of forethought.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Did anyone at the time notice that one background detail or did Mookie manage to successfully foreshadow something without pointing a neon sign at it?

I remember discussion about it at the time but I can't remember if everyone was too jaded to speculate about which direction Mookie would go.

The bigger problem was these intermissions are all about Mookie going "oooo the Beast" and then the main arc is just some Deegan loving around with some personal bullshit. It's only Celesto that's giving it his all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

There's some cool stuff there, the magic mentor being a fully non-human being is cool, Miranda hopping from the platform to its tentacle after it asks her to loosen up. I do not hate these pages.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Yeah, Mookie is at his least offensive when he's ripping off green lantern comics.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

rudecyrus posted:

Next time: FACEBATH
I am ready? :stare:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Hey that looks like this comic's about to end.

Also, I just realized: Nimmel wrote a letter to his former teacher that ended with "And then I got a boner."

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I would laugh so hard if this ends up being last we've seen of the villains, since the comic seems to consider them "defeated" despite the fact that they got everything they wanted.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i thought this was an edit

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Pulsarcat posted:

I would laugh so hard if this ends up being last we've seen of the villains, since the comic seems to consider them "defeated" despite the fact that they got everything they wanted.

It would be really funny, especially if there’s no plan whatsoever to do anything further about them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
no way lmao.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"You failed. Good job. You're ready."

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
you small brained, virgin author: you must have growth, and struggle to achieve something, there should be a climax

me chad, big brained, voe supreme: i have announced the end of the comic, pray i do not announce it further.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Okay, so basically Mookie decided that Snout having friends was the key to Asinotaph. And that he wanted to show Jacob deciding that on seeing the contrast between Team Rocket getting chased out of town and Snout being friendly with his friends. But he only came up with that idea after a week of drawing "Snout gets hugs" filler.

I'm impressed. A lesser man might have realized he'd written himself into a corner by not planning ahead, and couldn't show the scene as envisioned. Mookie just went ahead with the idea as soon as it popped into his head, continuity be damned.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
What was the point of the diary fight? Even for Mookie this is sad

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Billy Gnosis posted:

What was the point

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ahahahahahahaha no loving way

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I cannot believe this poo poo. I can't deal with what a non-story this is.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Snout died on the way back to Asinotaph.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Snout died on the way back to Asinotaph.

Someone do Snout holding a piece of paper with 'I have to go now, Asinotaph needs me' on it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
This is amazing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

More inept than the original in almost every manner.

Before this came into existence, I'd be hard pressed to imagine that to be possible.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The comic will end with Dominic handing Snout a note that says "Congratulations, Snout, you saved the world." Then they will hug. They will also be naked.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Bisexual Super Son > Dominic Deegan: What was the point

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Ugh, the wagging tail. The smug prick smile. The cartoon stride.

Well, time for another week of setting up to do the thing, arranging the magic stone circles, putting on the face paint, lighting the scented candles, body oils, slippery hugs, mutual masturbation, blah de blah, then the usual Friday cliffhanger of "Oh look, it is weird dream place, wow, crazy."

And still not a hint of urgency to any of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

whys he so cheerful? he didnt do anything. :|

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I think you'll find that he was exceptionally kind and curious. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣