Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

syzpid posted:

It's been mentioned in the thread before, but Jerichos cut would have come from when the store chain bought the figures, not when they rung up on the register. The two sets probably went for the same price and whoever entered it probably just tied both UPCs to the same description/price.

Ok yeah I figured it was something like that as opposed to some sort of diabolical scheme. You're right, it's not like the toy store would really care about labeling them specifically in their system if it's the same product and price. The less SKUS the better.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

That and he knew he'd have no time to shine or even wrestle very much. He wanted to do more than the occasional run-in with Scott Norton. The camera at that point literally couldn't have every NWO member in frame together unless it pulled way back or they were posing like it was picture day.

Either that, or they'd be pushing each other out of the way to stand behind Hogan, who'd be front and centre, making noises like Ned Beatty getting bummed in Deliverance, and looking so wrinkly, that Bart would be asking why'd they make that muppet out of leather.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The funny part of the nWo/Jericho thing is that Bischoff personally approached Chris, told him he'd win the TV title with Giant's help as a way of inducting him in, Jericho gave the "it benefits neither of us for me to join" reason for saying no, Bischoff said "OK, but the finish won't change, we'll figure out why he helped you later".

They never bothered to explain it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

haljordan posted:

Remember when they originally wanted to have Goldberg arrested for raping Ms. Elizabeth during an episode of Nitro and he IMMEDIATELY told them "No loving way" so it got changed to "aggravated stalking"

edit: sorry, doublepost

Hogan still went ahead and called him a "sexual deviant" and a few other things.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hogan still went ahead and called him a "sexual deviant" and a few other things.

I'd really like to know who came up with the whole rape angle. Keep in mind, Bischoff was always bitching about how Standards & Practices wouldn't let him do anything remotely racy/violent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The funny part of the nWo/Jericho thing is that Bischoff personally approached Chris, told him he'd win the TV title with Giant's help as a way of inducting him in, Jericho gave the "it benefits neither of us for me to join" reason for saying no, Bischoff said "OK, but the finish won't change, we'll figure out why he helped you later".

They never bothered to explain it.

I'd have to think that if he had joined the nWo, the second Jericho started to get over even a little bit, Hogan or someone else would've just completely killed his push and had him exiled to Thunder or whatever.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 24, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

haljordan posted:

I'd have to think that if he had joined the nWo, the second Jericho started to get over even a little bit, Hogan or someone else would've just completely killed his push and had him exiled to Thunder or whatever.

Yeah, and it would have been interesting dynamic considering that Scott Hall was bullying him early in his WCW run but fortunately Hall was apparently one of those movie bullies who really do back down when you stand up to them.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

By the way, I don't mean to grandstand or anything but I would just like to say how incredibly awesome it is to have such an amazing community in which to discuss (in detail) wrestling events from more than 20 years ago. No sarcasm, it really does kick rear end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, and it would have been interesting dynamic considering that Scott Hall was bullying him early in his WCW run but fortunately Hall was apparently one of those movie bullies who really do back down when you stand up to them.

Hall also put him over clean against management's wishes because he thought hid version would get better heat (Hall was right)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hall also put him over clean against management's wishes because he thought hid version would get better heat (Hall was right)

Yeah, Hall had his whims and was obviously abusing a lot of things he shouldn't but like even with all of that he still was one of the best going.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dawgstar posted:

The camera at that point literally couldn't have every NWO member in frame together unless it pulled way back or they were posing like it was picture day.

NASA has high hopes that the James Webb Space Telescope will one day be able to capture an image of the NWO in its entirety, including NWO Japan and the BWO.

edogawa rando posted:

Hogan, who'd be front and centre, making noises like Ned Beatty

"YOU HAVE MEDDLED WITH THE PRIMAL FORCES OF NATURE, MISTER BISCHOFF!"

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 25, 2023

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

haljordan posted:

Jericho apparently wrestled for over a year without a contract, not due to any sort of dispute, but literally because he never bothered to sign the contract after they sent it to him and no one from WCW ever followed up on it
What's the source for this? Based on everything reported at the time and more recent comments from Jericho, his agent, Jim Ross, etc. his contract was coming up in July 1999 and WCW gave him what he felt was an insultingly low offer, so he went and met with Ross and Vince McMahon while still under WCW contract and agreed to sign with WWF as soon as his current WCW contract expired (which was the end of July 1999, he was on Raw a week or so later).

I can believe he did a Moxley and just stopped responding to any of the contract renewal offers in 1999, but that's not the same thing as wrestling without a contract, he was just running out the clock on a previous one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

What's the source for this? Based on everything reported at the time and more recent comments from Jericho, his agent, Jim Ross, etc. his contract was coming up in July 1999 and WCW gave him what he felt was an insultingly low offer, so he went and met with Ross and Vince McMahon while still under WCW contract and agreed to sign with WWF as soon as his current WCW contract expired (which was the end of July 1999, he was on Raw a week or so later).

I can believe he did a Moxley and just stopped responding to any of the contract renewal offers in 1999, but that's not the same thing as wrestling without a contract, he was just running out the clock on a previous one.

I believe in his first book Jericho talks about how he was done with WCW and his contract was coming up but nobody bothered to get on him to resign very quickly so he was able to play out of sight, out of mine with it and when they did finally twig to the fact Jericho needed to re-sign Chris did things like hire an agent and a sports lawyer whom Bischoff hated which stalled things more so he could tread water and wait for Vince's call.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

I believe in his first book Jericho talks about how he was done with WCW and his contract was coming up but nobody bothered to get on him to resign very quickly so he was able to play out of sight, out of mine with it and when they did finally twig to the fact Jericho needed to re-sign Chris did things like hire an agent and a sports lawyer whom Bischoff hated which stalled things more so he could tread water and wait for Vince's call.
Right, which is still not the same at working without a contract, it's working without having signed a new contract. By that standard, a significant portion of the current WWE (and AEW and NJPW) roster are "working without a contract" because they haven't signed extensions/new contracts yet.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The way Jericho tells it in his first book, he offered to put someone over on the way out of WCW as a way of saying thank you for the opportunity and all that. Instead, Bischoff and Co just elected not to use him before he left for the WWF, so there was a weird gap of him not being on TV (I think for a few months) while still being under contract. This led to him being an unlockable character in the 1999 video game WCW Mayhem, despite him hardly showing up in the company that year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remembering this is what led to Bischoff telling Jericho the oddly racist, "No tickee, no laundry" re: his contract.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Trying to line everything up based on Jericho's book:

June 1998: About a year before Jericho's contract expires, Bischoff verbally offers him a new contract, which he verbally agrees to.
November 1998: Jericho's feud with Goldberg is nixed, and the same day Bischoff shows up with the actual contract and asks Jericho to sign it. Jericho takes it and says that he has to speak to his lawyer.
Also November 1998: He flies to Connecticut to meet with Vince, Jim Ross, et al. He verbally agrees to sign with WWF when his WCW contract expires.
November 30, 1998: Bischoff presses Jericho to sign, Jericho says he is not going to sign the contract. Bischoff books him to drop the TV title to Konnan that night.
April 5, 1999: Jericho sprains his ankle in a Nitro match against Booker T, is told by doctors he will be out six weeks. Bischoff suspends Jericho from TV for unclear reasons (presumably because he still hasn't signed a new contract, though he talks elsewhere about being suspended for failing a drug test for steroids and having to attend a counseling meeting with fellow 'steroid abusers' Lenny Lane and Bobby Blaze) and he isn't mentioned on WCW programming again.
June 4, 1999: His ankle recovered, Jericho starts working house shows again.
July 5, 1999:Countdown to the Millennium Clock starts appearing on Raw
July 21, 1999: Jericho wrestles his last WCW match, Kidman/Rey Mysterio vs. Jericho/Eddie Guerrero.
August 9, 1999: Countdown clock reaches zero, Chris Jericho debuts on Raw.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I can post the actual quote when I get back home later. It seemed like WCW sent him a contract and Jericho just never signed it. WCW assumed he signed it and sent it back.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 25, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just looked it up, and apparently the console version of WCW Mayhem came out AFTER he'd already debuted for WWF. Also, Raven was in it despite him already saying gently caress this and going back to ECW. I love WCW.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just looked it up, and apparently the console version of WCW Mayhem came out AFTER he'd already debuted for WWF. Also, Raven was in it despite him already saying gently caress this and going back to ECW. I love WCW.

In one of the later episodes of The Office, it is revealed that Jim and Dwight invented a completely fake salesman to circumvent a cap on commissions (and basically steal from the company). I wonder if anyone at WCW ever tried the same scam and submitted a bunch of fake wrestlers to the payroll department.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I mean, this isn’t really that weird when you consider the lead times involved in video games. Bret Hart was still in War Zone, which came out like six months after his WCW debut. Hell, I’m pretty sure Cody is still gonna be in Fight Forever and he’s been in WWE for over a year.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Diabolik900 posted:

I mean, this isn’t really that weird when you consider the lead times involved in video games. Bret Hart was still in War Zone, which came out like six months after his WCW debut. Hell, I’m pretty sure Cody is still gonna be in Fight Forever and he’s been in WWE for over a year.

I think Jericho's inclusion is just especially egregious since I don't think he'd even been on TV for months anyway?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

haljordan posted:

In one of the later episodes of The Office, it is revealed that Jim and Dwight invented a completely fake salesman to circumvent a cap on commissions (and basically steal from the company). I wonder if anyone at WCW ever tried the same scam and submitted a bunch of fake wrestlers to the payroll department.
There was never a Ciclope. Dean Malenko took all that money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

There was never a Ciclope. Dean Malenko took all that money.

The funny part is there of course IS a Ciclope but there actually there was a wrestler there in the Cruiserweight Battle Royal who was put in to make people think that he was going to be the big reveal called El Grio (who was actually Ciclope under the hood), but surprise it was me, Dean-o.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Jericho's inclusion is just especially egregious since I don't think he'd even been on TV for months anyway?
It looks like WCW Mayhem came out in September 1999, which was after Jericho was in WWF. As mentioned above, his last televised appearance for WCW was in April 1999, with his last house show in late July. By the same token:

Steve McMichael's last appearance on TV was in February 1999, and left the company in March.
Raven's last appearance on TV was in May 1999, and he walked out of WCW and jumped to ECW in August.

There are a number of other people in the game who either were effectively done with appearing in WCW even if they didn't know it yet (Randy Savage, Sonny Onoo) or even if they were technically employed didn't really get featured on TV enough before or after the game's release to warrant being in a video game (Kenny Kaos, Lizmark Jr., Bobby Blaze, etc.)

As mentioned, because of development lead time this isn't at all uncommon, but I don't know that Jericho's inclusion was particularly egregious.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The funny part is there of course IS a Ciclope but there actually there was a wrestler there in the Cruiserweight Battle Royal who was put in to make people think that he was going to be the big reveal called El Grio (who was actually Ciclope under the hood), but surprise it was me, Dean-o.
Tony's call when Malenko unmasks is great

THATS...THATS NOT CICLOPE!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

It looks like WCW Mayhem came out in September 1999, which was after Jericho was in WWF. As mentioned above, his last televised appearance for WCW was in April 1999, with his last house show in late July. By the same token:

Steve McMichael's last appearance on TV was in February 1999, and left the company in March.
Raven's last appearance on TV was in May 1999, and he walked out of WCW and jumped to ECW in August.

There are a number of other people in the game who either were effectively done with appearing in WCW even if they didn't know it yet (Randy Savage, Sonny Onoo) or even if they were technically employed didn't really get featured on TV enough before or after the game's release to warrant being in a video game (Kenny Kaos, Lizmark Jr., Bobby Blaze, etc.)

As mentioned, because of development lead time this isn't at all uncommon, but I don't know that Jericho's inclusion was particularly egregious.

Savage had two more WCW appearances after September of 99.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Literally the only edit I've ever done on wikipedia was to change a redirect so searching for Ciclope actually got you to the luchador instead of redirecting to Dean Malenko.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

Literally the only edit I've ever done on wikipedia was to change a redirect so searching for Ciclope actually got you to the luchador instead of redirecting to Dean Malenko.

Literally the only edit I've ever done to Wikipedia was to change the Georgia Guidestones entry to list the inscription as "A Doings is a Transpirin"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

By the way, here is the exact phrasing from "Death of WCW" about Jericho and the unsigned contract:

quote:

Ironically, Jericho could have left sooner than he did: "Even though I'd been working in WCW for over a year I had never signed my contract. I wasn't holding out for more money or having a legal disagreement, I simply never put the pen to the paper and returned the contract to WCW's lawyers. Nobody seemed to realize it and I decided to see how long I could go without signing. It was astonishing that no one in the office had ever followed up with me about it, but this was the same company that once sent me a FedEx with nothing inside, so it wasn't too hard to believe."

He also apparently once got a royalty check for zero dollars and zero cents lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The one lolWCW story that always crops up about Jericho that I think is probably not as it seems is the one about his action figures ringing up as a Hogan and Sting two pack or something so they’d get the merch money from it.

That one is way more likely to be whatever store’s inventory system just having one unified SKU or some data entry monkey who wasn’t in the mood to write a hundred different descriptions for dumb wrestling toys and nobody really caring what it said on people’s receipts than it is some Machiavellian plot with Hogan and Toys R Us getting together to screw the boys out of a few cents a figure.

It does make a funnier story his way though and carnies are always gonna carney so :shrug:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 25, 2023

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
If we're talking about Wrestlers in video games, don't forget WCW Nitro for PS1. Despite WCW having plenty of wrestlers to put in the game, they decided to add a bunch of weird fictional wrestlers. I bought it when it came out, and was so disappointed because I figured it would be a followup to WCW Vs The World.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

haljordan posted:

By the way, here is the exact phrasing from "Death of WCW" about Jericho and the unsigned contract:

He also apparently once got a royalty check for zero dollars and zero cents lmao
Okay, we are both correct in the sense that we are talking about two separate contracts, apologies for making assumptions.

That quote is from Jericho's first book, but is slotted in right after Halloween Havoc 1997, which makes sense because he first showed up in WCW in late 1996.

He goes onto say

quote:

I could show up in the WWF the next week and toss the WCW cruiserweight belt into the garbage if I wanted to. I was legally clear to do so and there was nothing stopping me.

Except myself.

As much as WCW had ignored me, I still couldn’t justify walking away and screwing them over. I had never given up on anything in my life and if I quit WCW, I’d be admitting to everyone that I’d failed.

Plus Eric had given me a chance when the WWF never did and had even given me a raise (in good faith) a few months earlier. As much of an rear end in a top hat as some of the bookers and wrestlers had been, Eric had always been fair with me and I didn’t take that lightly. I signed with him for three years and if I backed out on that deal I would’ve felt like a real shithouse.
So at least according to Jericho he never signed and wasn't legally bound to the first (and ultimately only) contract he ever had with WCW, but he honored it to the final day out of honor.

syzpid posted:

If we're talking about Wrestlers in video games, don't forget WCW Nitro for PS1. Despite WCW having plenty of wrestlers to put in the game, they decided to add a bunch of weird fictional wrestlers. I bought it when it came out, and was so disappointed because I figured it would be a followup to WCW Vs The World.
Wow, I never played the PS1 games and assumed this was something along the lines of the THQ games like World Tour and Revenge where the fictional wrestlers were greeked out versions of big Japanese wrestlers, but no, it was just a bunch of people who worked for the developers and "The Wackies" just seem to be random goofy characters like a gorilla, an ant, a suit of armor, etc.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Wow, I never played the PS1 games and assumed this was something along the lines of the THQ games like World Tour and Revenge where the fictional wrestlers were greeked out versions of big Japanese wrestlers, but no, it was just a bunch of people who worked for the developers and "The Wackies" just seem to be random goofy characters like a gorilla, an ant, a suit of armor, etc.

Well the World Tour and Revenge fictional wrestlers were actual real Japanese wrestlers in the original Japanese game so the port really didn't do much to change that besides doing some visual changes (cause why not use existing work) . The PS1 games were developed in the US so when looking for hidden wrestlers they just added in whatever

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Well the World Tour and Revenge fictional wrestlers were actual real Japanese wrestlers in the original Japanese game so the port really didn't do much to change that besides doing some visual changes (cause why not use existing work).
So the way these N64 releases happened was that the western version of World Tour came first and was followed a few months later by the Japan-exclusive Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 (which used an updated version of the engine and played more like Revenge despite looking exactly like World Tour) and then Revenge.

Revenge never had an "original" Japanese version, and Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 kept the WCW license from World Tour but had no licensed Japanese wrestlers, just legally distinct (the best kind of distinct) versions with slightly changed names and looks. Licensed puro guys wouldn't happen until Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, which came after WM2000, was officially licensed by AJPW and also featured everyone else from all other promotions, just with slightly changed appearances and names like all the Japanese wrestlers in World Tour and VPW64.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 26, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
by the time of backstage assault they were so low on wrestlers david flair is one of the playable wrestlers

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

David Flair was on TV a *lot* in 1999-2000. He was US champ briefly in 99 and one of the tag champs in 2000. He was awful, but he made as much sense as anyone to be in a WCW game in those days.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

by the time of backstage assault they were so low on wrestlers david flair is one of the playable wrestlers

If I'm not mistaken, Russo is a playable character in Backstage Assault!

Also, what a terrible game. Real rental letdown after I'd mostly enjoyed Mayhem.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I always got a kick out of Raven being on the cover of WCW/nWo Revenge

I know he had a faction and some popularity but he really doesn't fit in here.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

I always got a kick out of Raven being on the cover of WCW/nWo Revenge

I know he had a faction and some popularity but he really doesn't fit in here.

God I spent soooo many hours playing that game. I think I still have the cartridge down in my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Long before I was even a wrestling fan I rented WCW/nWo Revenge from Hollywood Video and played the hell out of it. My biggest memory is finding the edit mode, giving The Giant his green suit, and renaming him "SUPER LUIGI".