Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

notaspy posted:

Isn't it now fully estimated that the Golden Throne and the astronomicon are 2 separate bits of tech?

They are like 100 miles apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCXcW9pDLk

I liked his reaction to Blood Bowl armour pieces.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Molothecat posted:

this was my understanding from Vaults of Terra, too. The astronomicon is just a really big, powerful machine that no one's quite sure how to fix (until they do). The throne is just life support keeping the emperor alive and the web webway gate on terra closed.

Edit: personal theory - the men of iron are going to be brought back in some form or fashion and vashtorr will command them

Nah, it will tie into Votann

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Hollow Mountain chapter fourteen:
Spinoza you piece of poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078450/Warhammer_40000_Speed_Freeks/

You can request alpha access, but check the trailer. Looks fun.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I realize most here don't pay attention to Age of Sigmar, but they did include an RTS for Age of Sigmar that the few glimpses of gameplay we got made it look like the original dawn of war. But it's much to early to make a call, they'll be having a full gameplay reveal next month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCXcW9pDLk

I liked his reaction to Blood Bowl armour pieces.

That was great thanks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://youtu.be/T_K5-wAWAKU

This looks pretty good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sick of ultra marines but yeah it looks ok

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Molothecat posted:

this was my understanding from Vaults of Terra, too. The astronomicon is just a really big, powerful machine that no one's quite sure how to fix (until they do). The throne is just life support keeping the emperor alive and the web webway gate on terra closed.

Edit: personal theory - the men of iron are going to be brought back in some form or fashion and vashtorr will command them

My theory is that the Ironkin/Squats/Votann are the Men of Iron/Stone/Gold respectively

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Ngl, I don't know my space dwarves.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a LoV novel yet

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

euphronius posted:

I’m sick of ultra marines but yeah it looks ok

I like the Ultramarines, I'm history's greatest monster.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a LoV novel yet

There's one on the way finally. It's by Gav Thorpe....

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Angry Lobster posted:

I like the Ultramarines, I'm history's greatest monster.

They are the easiest chapter for people outside of GW to write and portray, are easy for new comers to understand, and are the space mariniest space marines without the weirdness or deep lore.

So yeah, it makes sense why they get a lot of stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shame they couldn't get Mark Strong back to voice Titus. So many 40K games try to do the deep imposing voice thing but they always sound forced, while Strong just sounds like that on a regular day.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

Shame they couldn't get Mark Strong back to voice Titus. So many 40K games try to do the deep imposing voice thing but they always sound forced, while Strong just sounds like that on a regular day.

Yep I’m disappointed that Mark Strong isn’t back as Titus, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

Yep I’m disappointed that Mark Strong isn’t back as Titus, too.

The new guy doesn't sound bad, mind you, but I doubt we're ever going to hit the high point for 40K voice acting like 2011 gave us ever again. Retribution and Space Marine we're absolutely stacked with amazing performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUP3_kh01mI

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

The Hollow Mountain chapter fourteen:
Spinoza you piece of poo poo

Let me guess, is that where She gases everone in the fortress

Also it's worth pointing out if somehow someone still hasn't played it, the original Space Marine is pretty good.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty mad that they jacked the price up on Steam by only letting you buy the "complete" edition with all the cosmetic DLC for the mostly dead multiplayer. Dick move, I wanted my brother to try the game but he's got standards.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Deptfordx posted:

Let me guess, is that where She gases everone in the fortress

Yeah. "Only option", "they would've overrun us", "last resort" whatever, you poo poo, you murdered Hook in a way that is described as excruciatingly painful.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What’s the right reading order for the Urdesh books? I bounced off Serpent and the Saint because it felt like there was tons of backstory I’d missed out on, but I can’t work out which books to read first.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Telsa Cola posted:

They are the easiest chapter for people outside of GW to write and portray, are easy for new comers to understand, and are the space mariniest space marines without the weirdness or deep lore.

Blue is cool and they have a toilet seat as their chapter insignia. Truly the greatest of them all. Now more seriously, a lot of people are still upset about the Matt Ward era and need to let it go a bit.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm pretty mad that they jacked the price up on Steam by only letting you buy the "complete" edition with all the cosmetic DLC for the mostly dead multiplayer. Dick move, I wanted my brother to try the game but he's got standards.

Space Marine not getting dedicated servers was a loving tragedy because the multiplayer ruled hard.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 25, 2023

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah. "Only option", "they would've overrun us", "last resort" whatever, you poo poo, you murdered Hook in a way that is described as excruciatingly painful.

Inquisition is gonna inquisition

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

They are like 100 miles apart

Previously they might have been physically apart but were still the same device, where as now they are very much 2 different bits of tech.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Space Marine not getting dedicated servers was a loving tragedy because the multiplayer ruled hard.

Lol, just reminded me.

I was around a friends with some others our age and we were watching his then early teens son play a bit of the Multiplayer and promptly get killed.

I said in the most deadpan fashion I could muster "Well James. I believe you just got pwned like a noob" and cracked the room up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Deptfordx posted:

Lol, just reminded me.

I was around a friends with some others our age and we were watching his then early teens son play a bit of the Multiplayer and promptly get killed.

I said in the most deadpan fashion I could muster "Well James. I believe you just got pwned like a noob" and cracked the room up.

wow cool story

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

kim jong-illin posted:

What’s the right reading order for the Urdesh books? I bounced off Serpent and the Saint because it felt like there was tons of backstory I’d missed out on, but I can’t work out which books to read first.

Urdesh ties into a bunch of wider stuff written by Abnett, rather than Farrer.

Gaunt's Ghosts - read the series up til Sabbat Martyr to get to know Brin Milo. Key novels would be Honour Guard and Sabbat Martyr, that introduce the Saint type stories.

Then Anarch / Warmaster from the same series tie into later events in Magister and the Martyr (the second Urdesh book).

Brothers of the Snake introduces Priad and the Iron Snakes, who show up in numbers in the Urdesh books. Also ties into the Dark Tusk renegades who are in both books.

Characters from Titanicus are also in Urdesh.

ADB created the World Eater character who is in Urdesh, in a short story.

Chronologically the reading order would be something like this...

Brothers of the Snake
Sabbat Martyr
Titanicus
Arnoguar (ADB short story)
Urdesh duology
The Warmaster
Anarch

Amongst that you could also add the GG novels Honour Guard (more Saint stuff) and Traitor General (Wirewolves!) if you really wanted to flesh out stuff that appears in Urdesh, although I think the Urdesh books provide enough context for this stuff to stand alone.

Edit: although if you're only selectively reading the GG novels that give you context for Urdesh you'll run into the same issue of not having any context for the stuff that happens in the GG series..so you may as well run the series.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 25, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whole lotta bangers on deep discount on Steam (and even deeper discount on Fanatical). I already own pretty much everything I would have wanted but I'm shilling pretty hard to my friends right now lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

Blue is cool and they have a toilet seat as their chapter insignia. Truly the greatest of them all. Now more seriously, a lot of people are still upset about the Matt Ward era and need to let it go a bit.

Space Marine multiplayer was loving excellent and I'm sure that it would have still had a community years later if it had dedicated servers

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay, the Alpharius book ranks number one out of the Primarchs books with almost contemptuous ease.

I love how the narrative is equal parts revelatory and blatantly full of poo poo.

Telsa Cola posted:

It's a bit surprising that there's not more Black Templars stuff. They've got a strong aesthetic that reflects the gothic vibe that makes the 40k setting stand out, and it isn't all that hard to explain "fanatically violent supersoldier knights in space" to franchise newcomers.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Mazed posted:

Okay, the Alpharius book ranks number one out of the Primarchs books with almost contemptuous ease.

I love how the narrative is equal parts revelatory and blatantly full of poo poo.

It's a bit surprising that there's not more Black Templars stuff. They've got a strong aesthetic that reflects the gothic vibe that makes the 40k setting stand out, and it isn't all that hard to explain "fanatically violent supersoldier knights in space" to franchise newcomers.

Templars are almost too fascist to make good protagonists, even amongst everyone else. Grimaldus is a fascinating character thanks to ADB but he's not exactly a hero.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Loved the Alpharius book, he spends the entire thing trolling you

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xenomrph posted:

Whole lotta bangers on deep discount on Steam (and even deeper discount on Fanatical). I already own pretty much everything I would have wanted but I'm shilling pretty hard to my friends right now lol

Note: don't buy Chaos Gate Daemonhunters from the Steam sale, you can get it for $11 through Humble Choice until the end of May.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I quite like Mike Brooks' stuff, he's not great with the immensity of the setting but he is real good with how screwed up it is. For example, where the escaped human in Warboss immediately gets :commissar:'d for not dying in glorious sacrifice to the Emperor and instead trying to return with information to help the hive.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 26, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Rites of Passage was what got me into reading black library stuff last year. It seems like he'd be better suited to breezier dialogue driven stuff than the heavier fare.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brooks is great, he isn't an ADB or Abnett or Wraight but he hasn't put out a bad book yet and his output is incredibly high. He's also getting noticeably better over time and is really good with "off the beaten path" type POVs. It wouldn't surprise me if he keeps writing this much for BL that in 5-10 years he will be truly great. If BL had 3-4 more like him we'd be in a really good spot and they wouldn't have to lean on Thorpe and McNeill and the like to crank out stuff while the big three take their time with each book.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NihilCredo posted:

Note: don't buy Chaos Gate Daemonhunters from the Steam sale, you can get it for $11 through Humble Choice until the end of May.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Also GOG has Epic 40k: Final Liberation for free right now.

Dunno if it's any good, but hey it's free. :shrug:

Edit-- Speed Freeks free alpha is live right now, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iej4lTVI_Tg

Edit-- lol, Fire Warrior is $0.89 on GOG. :shepspends:

And when you're done, read the book that's orders of magnitude better than the game!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 26, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

a lovely king posted:

Templars are almost too fascist to make good protagonists, even amongst everyone else. Grimaldus is a fascinating character thanks to ADB but he's not exactly a hero.

I realize that this is a bit more business than anything, but I think another piece of this is that they and the Dark Angels have a very similar aesthetic. Literal Crusader Knights roaming the galaxy with bolt-guns. And right now, the Dark Angels are the hotness that GW is wanting to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I always got the impression that DA were more Arthurian Knights than Crusader Knights