Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well that sure didn't take long to figure out

https://twitter.com/SavvyAuntie/status/1656803287885070337?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Already coming up with some red flags...

https://twitter.com/bart_smith/status/1656814727907999746?s=20

Plus Chaya Raichik, Bari Weiss, and Tulsi Gabbard.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's a non zero chance musk's username transfer is the laziest way, and he just changes the email and password form his side before giving it to new owners.

lol at get the DMs of a major news org.

oh and their follower number that make my feefees feel good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Another female CEO that's been rumored is former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer (who was CEO at Yahoo back when they bought Tumblr)

edit: while that would be funny, seems like the gal the thread is talking about is more likely

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Good. Turn it into another Truth Social and finally kill it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I have acquired exclusive footage of the reveal for the new CEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

But it's Musk under the hood.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 12, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Elon’s still winning

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1659327474864357383?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1661503979791216640

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Twitter is telling researchers to pay $42,000 or delete all the data they've collected. A provision that allows twitter to require them to delete the data was in the contacts they signed but presumably they thought it was not to just extort them later.

This is going to gently caress up a lot of research and grad programs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Of course it's "Weed Number times an order of magnitude"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Twitter is telling researchers to pay $42,000 or delete all the data they've collected. A provision that allows twitter to require them to delete the data was in the contacts they signed but presumably they thought it was not to just extort them later.

I'll note here the decahose was always of limited utility because it was deliberately not predictably representative, and incomplete for the purpose of all net modeling. Prior to its current trashfire ownership, Twitter already had a strong incentive to obscure how it operated and what its effects were (because they were bad), and they were more sophisticated in presenting the illusion of access.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anecdotal, but all of my friends who are/were huge Musk fanboys have completely shut up about him over the last several months. So there's a silver lining for me, personally, to all of this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Adenoid Dan posted:

Fortunately Twitters archive request feature works great, I was able to use it without issue before deleting my account. You can have it just send you a massive dump of every tweet, image, etc., so it's definitely possible to preserve that info.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Fortunately Twitters archive request feature works great [...] You can have it just send you a massive dump

You don't have to ask twitter.com for that, I'll do that if you pay shipping.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Fortunately Twitters archive request feature works great, I was able to use it without issue before deleting my account. You can have it just send you a massive dump of every tweet, image, etc., so it's definitely possible to preserve that info.

I stopped using it. Even unbookmarked the Funny Tweets thread, as I didn't want to be tempted to click on a tweet. Delete my Twitter account for inactivity, who cares. The place is the equivalent of a nuclear dumping ground where no cleanup attempt can make it habitable. If the most liberal, progressive person on earth bought it and instituted strict moderation it would still take over a year before it would be usable again.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whats stopping an alpha chad scrapper from scrapping his own pile of bird data?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

You don't have to ask twitter.com for that, I'll do that if you pay shipping.

Do you vacuum seal though? I tried through Amazon and the packaging was pretty lovely.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LifeLynx posted:

I stopped using it. Even unbookmarked the Funny Tweets thread, as I didn't want to be tempted to click on a tweet. Delete my Twitter account for inactivity, who cares. The place is the equivalent of a nuclear dumping ground where no cleanup attempt can make it habitable. If the most liberal, progressive person on earth bought it and instituted strict moderation it would still take over a year before it would be usable again.

Twitter's current iteration is basically "Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah same, just permanently damaged the Twitter "brand" or whatever to me for how much shittier it got and how fast it got there after Musk bought it. I don't think anything could ever make me look at or share a tweet again or register an account with it again. Even the archive I got of my stuff, once I get around to getting any useful images/any cool info I ever posted out of it I'll probably delete that too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

whats stopping an alpha chad scrapper from scrapping his own pile of bird data?

An IP block, followed by Musk publicly accusing you of stealing Twitter's data and then threatening to sue you.

10% of tweets is a lot of loving tweets. Even with the slimmed down dev team, they should have no issue detecting that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Twitter's current iteration is basically "Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
Only, it's Burke calling the strike.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm hearing that the geniuses at Twitter HQ have implemented some code that's meant to track and ban people's alternate accounts(?), but it is now just indiscriminately banning tons and tons of people for "evading suspension" despite them never having been suspended.. or for no reason at all :lol:

https://twitter.com/inkblot_art/status/1662652018765500416?s=20

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i applaud twitter for doing the right thing and forcing people to stop using twitter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i applaud twitter for doing the right thing and forcing people to stop using twitter

It's a shockingly humane decision.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/ThePopTingz/status/1662807515329961988

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The DSA isn’t just about disinformation; it’s a massive law that transforms huge aspects of every major internet website’s operations. You have to offer ways for users to appeal your content moderation decisions. You have to set up specific channels for governments to send you legal notices. You have to publish a gigantic transparency report about all your content moderation activities.

No one in the industry thought Twitter would be ready for it; the question was always do they eat a massive fine and set precedent for everyone else, or do they suck it up and hire back all the people they fired who were doing the compliance stuff.

I didn’t think they’d actually choose the third option of leaving Europe. Hard to be the world’s town square when you’re, well, not all over the world.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X: The Everything Not In Europe App

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Elon's just another big talk guy. He's used to swinging his dick in the US and getting what he wants, but that's because one party has completely given up governing. In Europe, governments seem to want to function in people's best interests.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jesus III posted:

Elon's just another big talk guy. He's used to swinging his dick in the US and getting what he wants, but that's because one party has completely given up governing. In Europe, governments seem to want to function in people's best interests.

Well, to function, at least. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sorry, the floor looks like the ceiling from the basement.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Look, just because we brutalized Greece for a generation doesn't mean...

poo poo

Hans?

Are we the bad guys?

:smith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jesus III posted:

Sorry, the floor looks like the ceiling from the basement.

that's a good line, i am going to steal it

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jesus III posted:

In Europe, governments seem to want to function in people's best interests.
lmao

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

I should have written "in comparison to the US".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fidelity, a stakeholder in Twitter, now values the company at $15 billion dollars, a third of what Musk paid for it in October.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still think that's generous

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
As a stakeholder, there’s definitely some incentive for them to paint the picture as rosy as defensible.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

For the first day of Pride month, Matt Walsh thought he could be extra cruel and stream his transphobic documentary "What Is A Woman?" on Twitter, only to find that it was flagged for hate speech. Supposedly, there was a behind the scenes deal between Twitter and the Daily Wire to do this, but it looks like it got pulled regardless.

Naturally, all the chuds went apeshit...

When confronted, fresh off of his recent scandal where he censored speech critical to Turkish premier Erdogan, the self-proclaimed "free speech absolutist" Musk scrambled to play both sides.

In maybe a coincidence, but perhaps not, Ella Irwin, the head of Trust and Safety at Twitter, resigned at the end of the day.

For now, "What Is A Woman?" is currently blocked. Walsh made an attempt to stream it in a Twitter Spaces but it got shut down very quickly. Elon says Twitter is trying to fix the algorithmic censorship, but with some caveats, which means he's trying to moderate the message for advertisers.

Edit: Apparently this ruined their big premiere party...

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 2, 2023

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Translation button gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's strange. It is not like Twitter ran their own translation department, so it was probably another external service they were being invoiced for, which the new management decided not to pay. I would have to wonder how long it was that Twitter was stiffing them on it, given it lasted this long.

... but at the same point, when they published the algorithm's source code, the language of a given post was a key point of categorization. That implies language detection is part of the process, which likely requires some same part of the translation toolkit, which might not have happened in-house.

I'm just wondering what else might be broken now. A lot of things, obviously, but I'm just anticipating the knock-on-effects which Musk is obviously blind to.